Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The problem with moving Conner is that it makes our top 6 a decent amount slower. If we where to get Stone I would like to keep both Ehlers and Conner to keep some element of speed and shiftyness in the top 6.

Can't have ALL the good players. :laugh:

Adding a player like Stone requires moving a lot of cap out.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So if Connor were to be moved it would be in the off-season? There's apparently heavy pressure from our owner to make the playoffs this year, our 1st, Puljujarvi, Bear, etc are all on the block.

Have to do better than that. Puljujarvi is failing to develop very well so far. Bear has taken a step back.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
The Jets can't afford Stone long term, and we really don't want to become a team that moves a lot pieces around, breaks up the chemistry. The thought I had is bringing up Samberg next year to replace Trouba, as he does have the same skill set.

We could look at re-signing Myers (2/$10m), Laine (6/$50m), Connor (2/$6m), Chiarot (2/$4m), Brossoit (2/$4m), Lemieux, Petan.

Trade Trouba, Copp for Borgstrom (ELC), prospect, and 1st (20).

Keep the team together for the next 2 years, with only Kulikov moving. Stanley to take his place. And Perreault, after a year of development from Veselainen.
Making room to re-sign Morrissey, then Connor (long-term).

If Myers took the hometown discount, we'd be hard to knock off, and he'd give us 2 years to develop a replacement.

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Perreault-Borgstrom-Laine
Connor-Little-Roslovic
Lemieux-Lowry-Appleton
Petan

Veselainen/Suess/maybe Spacek as call ups.

Morrissey-Samberg
Chiarot-Buff
Kulikov-Myers
Niku/Poolman

Keeps a lot of pieces (building blocks) in place. If Samberg is not ready, at least Myers can step up, and Niku gets a look on the bottom pairing.

I don't think this team would have to make a lot of adjustments. But with Borgstrom they would have greater strength up the middle.
If we cannot afford Stone, we certainly, definitely, absolutely cannot afford to keep Kulikov, Chiarot, and Myers.

With Stone, you get bang for your buck. Those three defensemen haven't provided that in a long while.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Unless there's a top 4 D asset in play, bringing in Stone while moving out Connor seems like a summer move to me.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Unless there's a top 4 D asset in play, bringing in Stone while moving out Connor seems like a summer move to me.
I agree. I think that if the Jets acquire Stone via a rental deal, they'll keep Connor and consider options in the off-season. If the Jets sign Stone as a UFA, the only real reason to trade Connor is to create cap space. They won't have enough cap space for that many high-end forwards and still be able to create a decent defense.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
So if Connor were to be moved it would be in the off-season? There's apparently heavy pressure from our owner to make the playoffs this year, our 1st, Puljujarvi, Bear, etc are all on the block.

Yes, if Connor were to be moved IMO it would be in the offseason as a cap casualty assuming we extended Stone. I'd want to keep him for a playoff run this year. I also think that the ask would be straight up for Bouchard, not the package offered here. We don't need 4 quarters for a dollar. Connor would be the ideal winger to play with McDavid because he has the speed to keep up with him, really great puck pursuit and is an excellent finisher.

I'm assuming we'd move Connor to Carolina for Pesce, who could replace Trouba immediately. Then we could move Trouba for the best return possible, maybe for a future Little replacement like Borgstrom+.

Having to wait for Bouchard to be ready would mean we'd have to keep Trouba next year, potentially letting him walk for nothing, which if we had a replacement for him in Bouchard, could be ok as well but I think the better asset management would be to try for Pesce first.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I don't get why you'd want to bring in Stone if it's going to create a cap situation that requires you to trade Connor or Ehlers. Just keep those guys and forget about Stone. The Jets need D or C anyway, not a deck chair reshuffling that only makes you worse, if not immediately, then soon.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Stone will probably re-sign with the Sens but if he didn't and we signed him, I'd rather have Stone than Ehlers, KC or Wheeler.
I'd wait to go after him in free agency though.

papasan

Dec 24, 2013
Winnipeg
VOYAGEUR mentioned Kevin Hayes trade in another forum. What would a line of 29/13/18 be like? Two strong defensive forwards to play with Laine.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Erik Gustafsson 19 pts in his last 21 games, LHD signed for 1.2M until end of next year. good puck mover/transition player but inconsistent defensively.... wonder what the cost would be? CHI doesn't have to move him this year, but could capitalize on a player who is hot right now and has an extra year on his deal.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I don't get why you'd want to bring in Stone if it's going to create a cap situation that requires you to trade Connor or Ehlers. Just keep those guys and forget about Stone. The Jets need D or C anyway, not a deck chair reshuffling that only makes you worse, if not immediately, then soon.

To me it actually comes back to Trouba. Bringing in Stone allows you to trade Connor for a Trouba replacement (Pesce or Bouchard for example). Then you can either trade Trouba (if Pesce) for a potential Little replacement (Borgstom + for example) or the best return possible; or we could keep Trouba for one more year (if Bouchard) and let him walk as a UFA.

Keeping Connor means we don't have a Trouba replacement.

We could stand pat, but the "deck chair reshuffling" could be how we get both the D and C we need for the future, while simultaneously upgrading the wing, or at least staying the same.

Lots of moving parts. What does it cost for Stone? (if it included Connor I'd be out but if it was 1st + Perreault I'd be in, especially because I think Perreault is a cap casualty this offseason regardless). Then what can we actually get for Connor? Can we get a 1RD for him? What does that return do for our position with Trouba? Will he sign long term? Should we hold him or trade him for futures? etc. If we trade him can we get a future 1B Center prospect back?

You could have something like this headed into next season. Kulikov comes off the books after the season to sign Morrissey's big deal and is replaced by Samberg. Buff comes off the year after that, etc.

upload_2019-1-8_10-11-1.png

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If we cannot afford Stone, we certainly, definitely, absolutely cannot afford to keep Kulikov, Chiarot, and Myers.

With Stone, you get bang for your buck. Those three defensemen haven't provided that in a long while.

Considering his cost, Chiarot is providing 'bang for the buck'.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
To me it actually comes back to Trouba. Bringing in Stone allows you to trade Connor for a Trouba replacement (Pesce or Bouchard for example). Then you can either trade Trouba (if Pesce) for a potential Little replacement (Borgstom + for example) or the best return possible; or we could keep Trouba for one more year (if Bouchard) and let him walk as a UFA.

Keeping Connor means we don't have a Trouba replacement.

We could stand pat, but the "deck chair reshuffling" could be how we get both the D and C we need for the future, while simultaneously upgrading the wing, or at least staying the same.

Lots of moving parts. What does it cost for Stone? (if it included Connor I'd be out but if it was 1st + Perreault I'd be in, especially because I think Perreault is a cap casualty this offseason regardless). Then what can we actually get for Connor? Can we get a 1RD for him? What does that return do for our position with Trouba? Will he sign long term? Should we hold him or trade him for futures? etc. If we trade him can we get a future 1B Center prospect back?

You could have something like this headed into next season. Kulikov comes off the books after the season to sign Morrissey's big deal and is replaced by Samberg. Buff comes off the year after that, etc.

View attachment 173263

I doubt Conner get you a Trouba replacement. Look what Hall went for. Your likely getting a second pairing dmen for him not a first pairing one. Scoring wingers don't carry premium value in trades.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
More rumor mongering, Stone would be open to a friendly long term deal with the Jets

Question Joe, I'm not asking for you to out your sources or anything, but how could the Jets org be remotely sure of that? Unless the Sens give teams permission, I would assume that any talk like that, even unofficially would be considered tampering? I know there is tonnes of stuff that likely goes on that's not above board, but just curious if you can expand on how this could possibly be known?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Question Joe, I'm not asking for you to out your sources or anything, but how could the Jets org be remotely sure of that? Unless the Sens give teams permission, I would assume that any talk like that, even unofficially would be considered tampering? I know there is tonnes of stuff that likely goes on that's not above board, but just curious if you can expand on how this could possibly be known?

Because its not from the Jets org

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Why is everyone trading KC?
I'd trade Ehlers (gets you more too) before KC any and every day of the week.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Deal with Trouba first. You might get everything or near everything you want and just need tweaking around the edges, maybe a decent UFA D or C who doesn't need a star's money. No need for upheaval if it's not going to be necessary. Unless we're looking higher up the ladder.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I doubt Conner get you a Trouba replacement. Look what Hall went for. Your likely getting a second pairing dmen for him not a first pairing one. Scoring wingers don't carry premium value in trades.

The Hall/Larsson trade is widely seen as just a bad trade - and was at the time it was made. I don't think it is a fair indicator of market value. Don't necessarily disagree with your point, but I don't like your proof. :laugh:

I don't think it is quite that black and white either. It depends on situations and on individual players. We have been talking about Pesce quite a bit. He is not a full Trouba replacement. But he could fill the top pair shut down role and stabilize our right side. Connor should be more than enough to get Pesce. 'Canes should add.

If we are looking at Oilers, Connor looks like a particularly good fit for a primary need of theirs. That should enhance his value to them. I like Bouchard + Jones.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
A below replacement level player making 1.4? Yeah, no.

He's regularly playing 2LHD on the #4 team in the league and holding his own there. Yeah, yeah he's carried by Buff. With Buff out he is paired with Myers. And still holding his own.

I'm not saying he is an ideal #4 Dman but he is certainly earning his 1.4 mil - and then some.

Reactions: Saintb

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It's the overall value proposition, especially if you get Stone as a UFA. It would be Stone + whatever assets acquired from trading Connor, vs. Connor alone.

I'm more skeptical about trading good assets to rent Stone and then re-sign him and trade Connor to make room, because the value proposition is less (discounting the real value of having both Stone and Connor for a playoff run this season).

This would be pretty darn good...

Laine-Scheifele-Stone
Ehlers-Little-Wheeler
Connor-Copp-Roslovic
Perreault-Lowry-Tanev

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
It's the overall value proposition, especially if you get Stone as a UFA. It would be Stone + whatever assets acquired from trading Connor, vs. Connor alone.

I'm more skeptical about trading good assets to rent Stone and then re-sign him and trade Connor to make room, because the value proposition is less (discounting the real value of having both Stone and Connor for a playoff run this season).

This would be pretty darn good...

Laine-Scheifele-Stone
Ehlers-Little-Wheeler
Connor-Copp-Roslovic
Perreault-Lowry-Tanev

As long as they can affored that and good D I'm all for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad