Rumor: Rumour & Proposals Thread | Game of Nygard: We Won.

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm not a Russell fan in the slightest, his pairings generally allow a ton of possession to the opposition and get hemmed in a lot but they rarely get outscored. Somehow, he always tends to hover around even whether the team is good or bad.

He's one of the most vanilla (average) players in the league but I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'd just rather have a player like that on the bottom pairing making less than 4M and a player on the 2nd pairing who can drive play more.
This is exactly the kind of player teams know they're getting when signing him.

People bitch and complain about us paying Kris Russell $4m, when the fact of the matter is we've been paying him to be a second pair defenseman for the past two seasons due to a lack of available options internally, which is about market value for the workload. Kris Russell hasn't been a bottom pairing in Edmonton because we have never had the depth to push him down the roster. There's a fairly good chance we won't have it next year either.

Why are we still having this discussion three years in? Kris Russell has been a placeholder. This is how bad the Edmonton Oilers' depth on defense was out of the gate in 2015.

Is this discussion really enjoyable to anyone? Because it's occurred a couple dozen times over the years.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
This is taking it more than a little far, but trying to figure out what Fenton is attempting to accomplish has me rather puzzled.

Acquiring Kessel just seems like the exact opposite of his previous strategy.

The previous strategy seems to be there is no strategy, just make random trades, so it’s kind of right on track

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Interesting. Anyone know how it works with signing bonuses when you’re suspended? So say you offer him 4 million. Normally he’d actually make 2. But if you pay him 3 in a signing bonus does he actually make 3.5 or 0.5? I’m assuming it would be 3.5 right? Might be an easy way to get him for less than market value

Sign him for 1 year @2.5-3.0 (with max bonus) and then a handshake on a roughly 5 million extension for next year. He’s a cheap upgrade later on this year, and then move Russell next year for a minimal change in capspace

Last edited:
Reactions: booyakasha

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Interesting. Anyone know how it works with signing bonuses when you’re suspended? So say you offer him 4 million. Normally he’d actually make 2. But if you pay him 3 in a signing bonus does he actually make 3.5 or 0.5? I’m assuming it would be 3.5 right? Might be an easy way to get him for less than market value

Sign him for 1 year @2.5-3.0 (with max bonus) and then a handshake on a roughly 5 million extension for next year. He’s a cheap upgrade later on this year, and then move Russell next year for a minimal change in capspace
He could sign here for league minimum and I still don’t want him

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I’m torn. I do believe in second chances but some crimes I feel are just too brutal to forgive. From what I understand, he beat his lady badly. Particularly given that we arent a team that is above reproach when it comes to professionalism and because this is a fishbowl market, I dont think it’s in anyones best interests to pursue him.

Reactions: 780il

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Lets wait and see. I like this signing, but I liked signing Reider too! Lol

Yeah I see this as our new Reider experiment. Can't be any worse. Lol

if Drai and McDavid are on the same line this team isnt going anywhere

This is not a problem at all. Colorado and Boston both do just fine with their top players on the same line.

Our issue is the lack of depth. That RNH has nobody to pass the puck to. We need way more from our middle 6.

Reactions: SK13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad