Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. V - Fire Up the Fax

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
What does the Toews trade have to do with anything?

I'm talking about Sakic not having a concrete plan with his goaltending situation and getting boxed into a corner where he had to make a horrible trade that really doesn't even improve heir goaltending that much.
We're on the same page. As Isles fans we hate to admit that Sakic did well for his franchise with the Toews trade. I brought up Toews because Sakic deserves some credit there. That's not a knock on Lou who did well enough considering the options.

Sakic's handling of the Avs goaltending is just an awful miscalculation. Losing a controllable asset under contract who then needs to be replaced at the cost of a first round pick = Maybe not such a good GM.

The book has not been written on Sakic but suffice to say he shit the bed on his goalie situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF and Lek

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
We're on the same page. As Isles fans we hate to admit that Sakic did well for his franchise with the Toews trade. I brought up Toews because he deserves some credit there. That's not a knock on Lou who did well enough considering the options.

Sakic's handling of the Avs goaltending is just an awful miscalculation. Losing a controllable asset under contract who then needs to be replaced at the cost of a first round pick = Maybe not such a good GM.

The book has not been written on Sakic but suffice to say he shit the bed on his goalie situation.
Sakic just feels like a genius one time and the next he's getting styled on by Arizona and hard for a goalie who I don't even know can be good outside of Arizona

hockeyisles

Jul 29, 2021
the longer this goes on the more i think Salo or Hutton make the team next season, and you know what im fine with that. Why put ourselves in cap hell for somebody who isnt a long term answer? Dobson has been everything advertised and so has Wahlstrom. Young talented Kids need opportunity....theyll make mistakes from time to time of course but I trust Trotz to school them up and that eventually they will be cost controlled quality players. 3 years ago did anyone really think Pulock, Pelech, or Mayfield would be what they've become....? I look forward to what the kids become..

Reactions: scottywiper

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Can’t fathom a team that has gone to semi finals two years in a row having to dredge the garbage pile for now 37 year old Parise versus a 28 yr old still in their prime.
I can fathom that a good team that has gone to the semi-finals two consecutive years would have good players who are well-paid, and if it's a well-run team they also have to consider young players who they will have to pay in coming years. So they may not have the cap space that some other teams will have. TB lost a few players and signed Perry to a cheap contract, sorta like Parise.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I can fathom that a good team that has gone to the semi-finals two consecutive years would have good players who are well-paid, and if it's a well-run team they also have to consider young players who they will have to pay in coming years. So they may not have the cap space that some other teams will have. TB lost a few players and signed Perry to a cheap contract, sorta like Parise.
They lost the entire 3rd line that frustrated the shit out of us, a good player in Johnson, and Schenn for Bogosian, who is worse. Tampa also has to play a full season, with fans, and has to travel for once. They won't be on the same boat. Isles still have only lost, what, Toews, Eberle, Leddy, and Ladd as of now. We should be fine

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
You know it's possible...

1. Neither RHD is worth those respective salaries.
  2. The 1M RHD could wind up hurting the team more than the 9M cap hit.

Certainly very possible.

My original mentioning of DeAngelo was in discussing how "cheap" Carolina's owner is.

I was simply pointing out that there is a considerable cost difference between DeAngelo and Hamilton when you consider that both produced at about the same clip in the Covid-shortened season and thus, it's not just about being cheap.

The considerable risk of acquiring him is very clear for other reasons, although I'm sure Carolina has done some due diligence in making sure he's going to be quite the choir boy in their outfit.

I'm sure it's refreshing for a good portion of the hockey landscape to see that a team didn't just bow to the mob rule of a very holier-than-thou social media when it comes to this player.

ASIDE:
BTW, have we EVER found out what EXACTLY took place in that NYR locker room that led to DeAngelo being excommunicated?

I mean there was something about conflict with Georgiev and something about conflict with Miller, but WHAT exactly happened?

I mean, I totally respect keeping your dirty laundry internal, but when you've got a player with his price tag coming off a season of 53 points in 68 games, deciding to simply shut him down for the season is a decision that you're literally paying a premium to make.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
1. Rule of Thumb: Lou takes his time
2. Might be a bookkeeping thing. Might be that RFAs 1 & 2 have to be on the books before the other deals can be announced for any numbe of organizational reasons.

From what I can see, It looks like Lou is concentrating on resigning our own Players First..... Makes sense

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Certainly very possible.

My original mentioning of DeAngelo was in discussing how "cheap" Carolina's owner is.

I was simply pointing out that there is a considerable cost difference between DeAngelo and Hamilton when you consider that both produced at about the same clip in the Covid-shortened season and thus, it's not just about being cheap.

The considerable risk of acquiring him is very clear for other reasons, although I'm sure Carolina has done some due diligence in making sure he's going to be quite the choir boy in their outfit.

I'm sure it's refreshing for a good portion of the hockey landscape to see that a team didn't just bow to the mob rule of a very holier-than-thou social media when it comes to this player.

ASIDE:
BTW, have we EVER found out what EXACTLY took place in that NYR locker room that led to DeAngelo being excommunicated?

I mean there was something about conflict with Georgiev and something about conflict with Miller, but WHAT exactly happened?

I mean, I totally respect keeping your dirty laundry internal, but when you've got a player with his price tag coming off a season of 53 points in 68 games, deciding to simply shut him down for the season is a decision that you're literally paying a premium to make.
The kid seems like a schmuck. There's just been way too many instances of bad behavior over many years. Maybe it's just an anger management problem or maybe it's more than that? Rumors of past racist comments come to mind.

His COVID denial statements also don't sit well with me but you can argue it has nothing to do with hockey. His father is a jerk too. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Hard pass for me. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Reactions: MJF

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
The kid seems like a schmuck. There's just been way too many instances of bad behavior over many years. Maybe it's just an anger management problem or maybe it's more than that? Rumors of past racist comments come to mind.

His COVID denial statements also don't sit well with me but you can argue it has nothing to do with hockey. His father is a jerk too. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Hard pass for me. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Oh god can we not discuss this guy in this thread. It will be dog piled by people calling each other snowflakes and white knights.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
From what I can see, It looks like Lou is concentrating on resigning our own Players First..... Makes sense

Likely. We'll probably hear about multiple player signings all at the same time.

Whether any of them will involve "new" players is, well... we'll just have to let ourselves be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad