Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. II - Expansion Draft Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I read some posts where people said they doubt Panik will play for the Isles. Maybe so, but DET did retain some salary which makes me think maybe the Isles wanted him? At $1.3 mil for the next 2 years, he's a versatile, cheap vet who would be especially useful if the Isles do get a big fish and need a cheap winger further down the depth chart.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Landeskog for me is just not the guy I want to be committing anything north of $7M long term. We already have one of the league’s best leaders in Lee and intangibles spread throughout the lineup. He’s not what we’re missing IMO.

It’s cup or bust next year though so if I’m wrong and adding Landy puts us over the top, I’m all for it. Personally I hope whatever happens that we have enough space to make a serious run at Forsberg in 2022.
If the Isles win with Landy, might become the Kings with that contract. If they don’t, might be the Sharks…

Either way, term for him is a buyer beware breakdown years 4+

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I don't like him for this team. Just being honest. I think the Isles ID is hard to play against. D core are players with length. We may not be the most mobile but we use our sticks to Swiss like proficiency and get in shooting lanes better than almost any D.

This is why I really like Oleksiak. He is 6'7, he has the wing span of a Condor. He is also a physical presence that is proven in the playoffs. Had 5 goals for Dallas in their cup run and he is only 28.

In the hands of Trotz, I can only imagine the tip of the iceberg for him.

I’m concerned that puts too much emphasis on size at the expense of foot speed.

Also, Reilly seemed to have a knack at getting the puck out of the zone often and efficiently. Reminded me of a better skating Greene.

Of course Suter by far, is still my first choice.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
I read some posts where people said they doubt Panik will play for the Isles. Maybe so, but DET did retain some salary which makes me think maybe the Isles wanted him? At $1.3 mil for the next 2 years, he's a versatile, cheap vet who would be especially useful if the Isles do get a big fish and need a cheap winger further down the depth chart.

I expect him to play, maybe not every night depending on what happens this off season, but I think he will be used. Why take him back at all if you have no intention of using him?I think his speed will be an asset on a not so quick team.

I'd prefer him over the Komarov's and MDC's of the world.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Another day to think about this and either the Leddy move a pure move to have cash to keep our guys like the Toews move or is part of some bigger agenda. I am thinking the latter only because we really need to get over the Tampa hump. Lou has to be thinking that we would have won the cup this year against the Habs and how close we were to winning the series, or could he be thinking if we only had Lee and a one year further developed Wahlstrom we were good?

I would prefer Mike Reilly over Suter because he probably is cheaper and he is younger, he was effective against us in the playoffs, I found him to be solid at clearing the puck and doing some of the things Leddy did. I also agree with Winter Soldier that Pelech should be on the Power Player, he his very sneak out there. We are close, and trust that Lou has something up his sleeve that will probably be more favorable than any of our theories.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Some are worried about the aging curve of Landeskog but let’s bring on a 46 year old Chara to replace a top 4 D.

No one is bringing Chara in to be a top-4 D. They're bringing him in to play in the kind of 6-7 role that Greene is going to serve this year so he's redundant.

Although would be fun to bring Chara back with Parise as kind of a metaphor of making good on past mistakes.

Reactions: Throttle

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Everyone is very focused on our forwards for scoring, but Leddy was our top scoring D. Almost twice the amount of points as Pulock. No one on our defense is a real offensive threat right now.

Maybe Dobson takes a huge leap. Maybe Pulock's offense finally clicks. Those are some pretty big ifs.

We're focused on forwards, but there's a huge hole on defense right now.

Pulock had a down year offensively this year. The previous 2 seasons he easily out produced leddy I don't think its that big of an "if " that he will produce this year.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I’d love to get both Suter AND Oleksiak depending on the price.

Greene as the 7th defenseman.

Pelech- Pulock
Suter - Mayfield/Dobson
Oleksiak- Mayfield Dobson
Greene

I don't know if we're going to get Suter, and I don't know if we're going to get Oleksiak, but what I do know is...

I'd like to get at least TWO (2) more legit NHL defenseman so that Dobson can be on the bottom pair and Greene can be the 7th D-man.

With Lee coming back and Palmieri on standby to replace Bailey/Eberle if needed, I'd argue that defense should be the #1 priority. We literally have only 5 NHL defenseman right now (and one is on the cusp of retirement). To rely on Hickey, Aho, or anyone else to play minutes in 21-22 is like replying on Komarov to play on the 1st line.

Reactions: Not4u and SI90

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Pulock had a down year offensively this year. The previous 2 seasons he easily out produced leddy I don't think its that big of an "if " that he will produce this year.
Not saying Pulock can't get back on track offensively, but Leddy was the best puck rusher and distributor among our D which is something most offenses need to thrive and something I don't see Pulock replicating. So I do still the loss of Leddywill affect the team's ability to score if not replaced or someone like Salo/Aho isn't ready to step into that role.

Reactions: IslesFanatic

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

The Isles didn't want him. It was all about Lou wanting to dump Leddy before losing him for nothing, very few teams had a D-man protection slot open, and Yzerman wanted to get rid of 22-23 salary on a mostly useless player. The Isles netted a few million in cap savings and got a 2nd round pick. I'm sure Lou would've liked to just deal Leddy for the 2nd straight up, but then maybe Yzerman doesn't do it. The deal required compromise by all, but also worked out for all.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Another day to think about this and either the Leddy move a pure move to have cash to keep our guys like the Toews move or is part of some bigger agenda. I am thinking the latter only because we really need to get over the Tampa hump. Lou has to be thinking that we would have won the cup this year against the Habs and how close we were to winning the series, or could he be thinking if we only had Lee and a one year further developed Wahlstrom we were good?

I would prefer Mike Reilly over Suter because he probably is cheaper and he is younger, he was effective against us in the playoffs, I found him to be solid at clearing the puck and doing some of the things Leddy did. I also agree with Winter Soldier that Pelech should be on the Power Player, he his very sneak out there. We are close, and trust that Lou has something up his sleeve that will probably be more favorable than any of our theories.
I still think Suter can be had for cheap. He's coming off a big buyout and is 36 years old. The stars are lined up for him to value making a run at the cup as opposed to earning more cash and one would have to think we qualify for such a thing.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Just spit ballin' here but is it true the Kraken can offer 8 years to Landeskog if they select him in the ED? Wonder how possible it is for Isles to get an edge on Landeskog by giving Seattle an incentive to select him, negotiate a UFA salary through Seattle that includes the 8 years, and then just trade for him using that cheap incentive (3rd round pick or so). No idea if that's tampering, or unrealistic, or whatever....I guess maybe I'm just trying to think like LL in a sneaky 4d chess way, lol.

PS. If you are reading this, Mr. Lamoriello, please don't have me killed. I swear I don't know 'too much'.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Not saying Pulock can't get back on track offensively, but Leddy was the best puck rusher and distributor among our D which is something most offenses need to thrive and something I don't see Pulock replicating. So I do still the loss of Leddywill affect the team's ability to score if not replaced or someone like Salo/Aho isn't ready to step into that role.
he wasn't that good

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I don't have any issue with taking back Panik, especially with Detroit retaining 50%. Detroit retaining half of his cap hit is the key.

If Trotz and co. can fix some of his issues, he has speed and brings some offensive ability. He could be a good injury replacement to have around.

Another option is he is just depth and can sit in the press box with Johnston most of the season.

If he is absolutely dreadful, he is buried in the AHL, only costs $250,000 against the cap and can definitely help Bridgeport offensively, who desperately needs forward talent.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
And who did you feel was better at carrying the puck through the neutral zone last season?
I think Dobson is getting better at carrying the puck through the neutral zone and can become that player.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
He may become that player, but he definitely wasn't there last season, and there is no guarantee he is this season either, so that doesn't answer the question.
my pick was him anyways. the next best was pelech also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad