Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. II - Expansion Draft Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Word on the street is that Lou and Trotz both have a hard on for Landeskog.

I get it. This team's identity is hard nose grind the opponent down. If you're a forward not scoring you better be contributing another way.

I love Bailey, but let's be honest. He has a history of being soft. Eberle also. For that reason alone I can understand the Isles ok moving on from both.

Bailey & Eberle out. Landeskog in and Palmeri back.

Fits the team identity much better.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
We're very focused on Parise/Suter, Tarasenko, Landeskog, etc.. Maybe those are the guys, but who knows what Lou is really doing? For example, AZ is supposedly actively shopping Garland (broken by Pagnotta, who has Isles' connections BTW). Maybe the Ladd deal was the pre-ED cap-clearing portion of a bigger deal....

The next week or two are going to be very interesting.
And what about Zach Hyman? He'd fit in perfectly in Trotz system!

Reactions: BillD

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I will say this, I love Landeskog but another isles poster brought this up and it has to be part of the decision on Lando. Lando played with Mack and Rantannen. Those are both top 10 forwards in the entire NHL. Landos numbers with those 2 were what they were. They would be the 2 best players on our team. Barzal is a great play maker but will Lando produce at an elite clip?

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I get it. This team's identity is hard nose grind the opponent down. If you're a forward not scoring you better be contributing another way.

I love Bailey, but let's be honest. He has a history of being soft. Eberle also. For that reason alone I can understand the Isles ok moving on from both.

i would absolutely love seeing those guys in the lineup. more good grit while also being crafty players. the isles keep skill in and can keep rolling as well.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

I can’t say I disagree. The only thing about Bailey though is that he’s been a really good and consistent playoff performer in his career now. To me that’s important. He’s played at an all star level in the playoffs and the numbers support that.

But as you said Lando + Palmieri fits our identity much better and makes us a lot tougher to play against and we’re already a team that is tough to play.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I will say this, I love Landeskog but another isles poster brought this up and it has to be part of the decision on Lando. Lando played with Mack and Rantannen. Those are both top 10 forwards in the entire NHL. Landos numbers with those 2 were what they were. They would be the 2 best players on our team. Barzal is a great play maker but will Lando produce at an elite clip?
I think that's been my main concern, but even w/o those two he can produce well. Each player on the RML line is amazing in their own way, so I shouldn't have to worry about this. If landeskog IS an islander, he gets to work with a fast player still in barzal, and a tank in lee, similar to Rantanen. It could still work.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I think that's been my main concern, but even w/o those two he can produce well. Each player on the RML line is amazing in their own way, so I shouldn't have to worry about this. If landeskog IS an islander, he gets to work with a fast player still in barzal, and a tank in lee, similar to Rantanen. It could still work.

For me it’s

Lando-Barzal-Wahlstrom

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Trotz's system doesn't really rely (or even allow to be frank) on players producing at an "elite clip" though so why is this relevant? It's obviously a bargaining chip in contract negotiations, but once the Islanders hit the ice it's about winning and the logo on the front of the jersey. If Landeskog were to sign here he would have obviously bought into that mentality.

At the end of the day, Landeskog is a forward who is hard to play against and can hang with some of the top scorers in the league. Organizations drool over these types of players because they are so rare. Size and skill with intangibles is a GM/coach's wet dream...

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Trotz's system doesn't really rely (or even allow to be frank) on players producing at an "elite clip" though so why is this relevant? It's obviously a bargaining chip in contract negotiations, but once the Islanders hit the ice it's about winning and the logo on the front of the jersey. If Landeskog were to sign here he would have obviously bought into that mentality.

At the end of the day, Landeskog is a forward who is hard to play against and can hang with some of the top scorers in the league. Organizations drool over these types of players because they are so rare. Size and skill with intangibles is a GM/coach's wet dream...
See my post above about Lando. I agree he makes us harder to play against and fits our team perfectly.

My point is we still need guys to produce and who can produce in our system. We lost game 7 of the conference finals 1-0. Yes, we were a good scoring team in the playoffs but we still need a guy(s) with talent that can score when we need it most despite the system.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
For me it’s

Lando-Barzal-Wahlstrom

Maybe in a year or two, probably not next year. If you watch Landeskog highlights on YT, I think it's pretty apparent this guys is fairly complete offensively (certainly moreso than Lee). He would take a lot of pressure off Barzal for sure...

Reactions: SI90

Duanesutter12

Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I've seen this question asked several times and while it's completely unquantifiable I don't think it's possible to compare because of the systems. Barzal can't use his end to end speed like Mack can and the one year he could (rookie year) he put up 86 points! If Barzal were on Colorado he'd put up way more points.

Reactions: SI90

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
Landeskog for me is just not the guy I want to be committing anything north of $7M long term. We already have one of the league’s best leaders in Lee and intangibles spread throughout the lineup. He’s not what we’re missing IMO.

It’s cup or bust next year though so if I’m wrong and adding Landy puts us over the top, I’m all for it. Personally I hope whatever happens that we have enough space to make a serious run at Forsberg in 2022.

Duanesutter12

Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Hell no. David Clarkson 2.0, or another Matt Beleskey. Isles do not need a player like him
I would definitely worry about overpaying him because he's likely going to command more term and money than he deserves but he'd fit that first line grinder who can put the puck in the net role quite well. Hell, he'd be Leo with hands!

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
See my post above about Lando. I agree he makes us harder to play against and fits our team perfectly.

My point is we still need guys to produce and who can produce in our system. We lost game 7 of the conference finals 1-0. Yes, we were a good scoring team in the playoffs but we still need a guy(s) with talent that can score when we need it most despite the system.

Everyone is very focused on our forwards for scoring, but Leddy was our top scoring D. Almost twice the amount of points as Pulock. No one on our defense is a real offensive threat right now.

Maybe Dobson takes a huge leap. Maybe Pulock's offense finally clicks. Those are some pretty big ifs.

We're focused on forwards, but there's a huge hole on defense right now.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Let's just take a moment to realize how refreshing it is to be able to talk about who fits, and who doesn't fit, who will put us in to the finals, who won't rather than the posts of the past such as:

"Does he want to sign here? Just sign him!"
"*insert middling player's name here* is on waivers, lets take a chance on him!"
"is his sister cute?"
"we need to reach the cap floor so, whatever, can he cook?"
"guy had 10 goals last season, he can definitely be an upgrade on our first line"

Life now is so much better (and complicated) than it used to be. Thank you Maldecky!

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Eberle or Bailey to Seattle hopefully.

Sign Landeskog. Who cares about his contract in five years? We'll be rebuilding by then regardless. Try to win now during our window.

Sign Cizikas.

Sign the RFAs.

Sign Parise and Suter.

Landeskog - Barzal - Wahlstrom
Lee - Nelson - Bailey/Eberle
Beauvillier - Pageau - Parise
Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

Pulock - Pelech
Suter - Dobson
Greene - Mayfield

Varlamov/Sorokin

Reactions: xECK29x

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Everyone is very focused on our forwards for scoring, but Leddy was our top scoring D. Almost twice the amount of points as Pulock. No one on our defense is a real offensive threat right now.

Maybe Dobson takes a huge leap. Maybe Pulock's offense finally clicks. Those are some pretty big ifs.

We're focused on forwards, but there's a huge hole on defense right now.
I posted something similar earlier in this thread - we definitely need an offensively talented top 4 LHD. I can't see Salo or Bolduc ready for top 4 duty this year, and they may or may not be ready even next year.

I keep trying to figure how to fit OEL and Garland under our cap but am having some difficulties. :laugh: That would be 1 deal to solve our biggest problems and both would probably work well in a Trotz system. I'd take a Kenny Jonsson type on D (including the perceived negatives playing for a mediocre team/coach) and a clone of JGP on RW, thank you very much.

Reactions: ShiroganeKvasha30
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad