Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2020-21 Pt. IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
We will have plenty of time for this later. We are in the midst of another playoff run. But Lou has some tough decisions this summer on the roster. As with most successful teams. The cap is tight. You want all the players to return, but there are many up for new contracts. Key players. Lou is a HOF builder, he's going to have to use all his skill and exp to bring back the strongest core possible. Right now sit back and enjoy the ride. Later this Summer is going be trying to fit all the pieces into a tight budget.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
We will have plenty of time for this later. We are in the midst of another playoff run. But Lou has some tough decisions this summer on the roster. As with most successful teams. The cap is tight. You want all the players to return, but there are many up for new contracts. Key players. Lou is a HOF builder, he's going to have to use all his skill and exp to bring back the strongest core possible. Right now sit back and enjoy the ride. Later this Summer is going be trying to fit all the pieces into a tight budget.
I agree it's a summer discussion, but I'll throw out there that all the pieces are already in the organization and it's going to be all about making space and choosing the right guys to stay.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I agree it's a summer discussion, but I'll throw out there that all the pieces are already in the organization and it's going to be all about making space and choosing the right guys to stay.
Yep, or off day talk when the series and game 4 has been discussed to death. ;) I think Ladd on LTIR would help, and potentially trading Eberle and Leddy are other options. Think Wally and maybe Dobson are ready to step into bigger shoes, they are certainly trending this way.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Wrt the offseason the #1 thing, and it's not close, is Adam Pelech's contract. I honestly do not believe they'd have a chance in either series without him.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011

Somehow we need Palms on the team and Ebs off. Ebs doesn't play Islanders type hockey.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Wrt the offseason the #1 thing, and it's not close, is Adam Pelech's contract. I honestly do not believe they'd have a chance in either series without him.

If at all possible, Lou should really look to lock him up for 7+ years ASAP.

And it will likely have to be a contract where Pelech only gets, say, 2.75 MM next season, but then upwards of 5.5 every year after that.

Unfortunately, Komarov, Ladd, and Hickey are still a part of the financial equation for one more year.

And I just don't know if Seattle would be willing to pluck away a Leddy or Eberle in the expansion draft?

Reactions: stringunspecified

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
If at all possible, Lou should really look to lock him up for 7+ years ASAP.

And it will likely have to be a contract where Pelech only gets, say, 2.75 MM next season, but then upwards of 5.5 every year after that.

Unfortunately, Komarov, Ladd, and Hickey are still a part of the financial equation for one more year.

And I just don't know if Seattle would be willing to pluck away a Leddy or Eberle in the expansion draft?

Can we make Ladd a Bridgeport coach and pay him his present salary. Would that free up his money?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Ask him if he wants to retire and get paid same amount as Bridgeport coach. I'm sure this is eating him up.
Really? He gets to work out, play, train, be with the guys while on the NHL roster. He seems just fine with it … until next season when he needs to decide whether he wants to Wade Redden himself in CT for two more years.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Absolutely. Negotiate a settlement with him.
It’s called LTIR. This summer reality sets in that he has to ride the bus in the AHL and that life is permanent for two more years.

Or conveniently ‘fail’ his physical and call ita day. Thank Lou for letting him play it out in the bubble and this shortened season on the NHL roster.

Reactions: MJF

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
This is good! Love seeing the captain on the ice!. Hopefully gets all that strength back by training camp!

But miraculously if the Isles get that far…he’ll ‘recover’ quickly and be a ‘warrior’ to be on the ice. Barzal should be happy about that.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It’s called LTIR. This summer reality sets in that he has to ride the bus in the AHL and that life is permanent for two more years.

Or conveniently ‘fail’ his physical and call ita day. Thank Lou for letting him play it out in the bubble and this shortened season on the NHL roster.
It should have happened already. I figured he would have “flunked” a physical by now. However, if Ladd is too stubborn or prideful to concede that his time on the Island is over then we have to try to negotiate a settlement.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
But miraculously if the Isles get that far…he’ll ‘recover’ quickly and be a ‘warrior’ to be on the ice. Barzal should be happy about that.
I think this is more a message for the boys that the Captain is busting his ass rehabbing. Still I feel he should not try to play again this year. Be ready for next season’s full slate.

Reactions: Throttle

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It should have happened already. I figured he would have “flunked” a physical by now. However, if Ladd is too stubborn or prideful to concede that his time on the Island is over then we have to try to negotiate a settlement.
I'm just hoping he is waiting to see if Seattle picks him, and if not, he will ride into the sunset quietly on LTIR. That contract only has 2 more years thankfully and then we will not need worry about his cap hit any longer. Hickey only has another year at 2.5M. Slowly but surely.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
It seemed like it was going to happen his offseason, but the Boychuk thing was in motion and more immediate.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm just hoping he is waiting to see if Seattle picks him, and if not, he will ride into the sunset quietly on LTIR. That contract only has 2 more years thankfully and then we will not need worry about his cap hit any longer. Hickey only has another year at 2.5M. Slowly but surely.
Either that or a team trying to stay under the cap while rebuilding trades for one of those dead contracts to get to the cap floor.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad