Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2020-21 Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Speaking of Eklund he predicted Sorokin for the Vezina and rookie of the year in his latest article. I know he is a hack. The only reason I read is because I am a hockey junkie and read everything that I can, but hope this is the case of the blind squirrel finding a nut and he is right for once, rather than being the kiss of death.
I was hoping his blind squirrel finding a nut trick,was going to be this " Isles are trying to move a player onto LTIR or into retirement".

Such a move would allow the isles to sign their players this off-season,while holding onto their picks & prospects. I am hoping that after July 1,2021 bonuses are paid,it will be easier and cheaper to move players on 1 yr contracts like Uncle Leo's & Boychuk's.We can then use those sweeteners on those trades.

Reactions: The Real JT

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I was hoping his blind squirrel finding a nut trick,was going to be this " Isles are trying to move a player onto LTIR or into retirement".

Such a move would allow the isles to sign their players this off-season,while holding onto their picks & prospects. I am hoping that after July 1,2021 bonuses are paid,it will be easier and cheaper to move players on 1 yr contracts like Uncle Leo's & Boychuk's.We can then use those sweeteners on those trades.

Well that is what Incarcerated Bob is suggesting. I know he is a lightning rod one way or the other for many here and not saying he has near the credibility of the network guys but he is lightyears ahead of Eklund whose seems to throw nonsense against the wall all the time. IB has been right more than once and seems to have at least one legit source, so maybe he is a "nearsighted squirrel" looking for a nut..

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Well that is what Incarcerated Bob is suggesting. I know he is a lightning rod one way or the other for many here and not saying he has near the credibility of the network guys but he is lightyears ahead of Eklund whose seems to throw nonsense against the wall all the time. IB has been right more than once and seems to have at least one legit source, so maybe he is a "nearsighted squirrel" looking for a nut..

I trust our own Costigan and he seems to think LTIR, but not retirement.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I trust our own Costigan and he seems to think LTIR, but not retirement.
Could be 'one in the same' so to speak. Suppose it is Ladd/Boychuk/Hickey for example but just with the understanding they aren't going to fight like Lupol.

Dark horse could be Clutterbuck too, given his crazy back injuries.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
This has to be hard on Ladd. Yes he's getting millions, but he knows the players, coaches, and fans wish he would just leave. He's also aware that he's probably part of the reason Barzal isn't signed. He's been rich for a while now and everything exciting about money is pretty much taken for granted so this situation this has to be weighing on him. I could see him just retiring.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Could be 'one in the same' so to speak. Suppose it is Ladd/Boychuk/Hickey for example but just with the understanding they aren't going to fight like Lupol.

Dark horse could be Clutterbuck too, given his crazy back injuries.

I'm surprised Clutter doesn't get more discussion here as a LTIR possibility.

With that being said, I don't see him going down without a fight.

He reminds me of the Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

He reminds me of the Black Night in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
When Clutter is healthy he is part of an effective line. But yeah it’s a miracle if he can stay healthy for 60 games, let alone a full season.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
This has to be hard on Ladd. Yes he's getting millions, but he knows the players, coaches, and fans wish he would just leave. He's also aware that he's probably part of the reason Barzal isn't signed. He's been rich for a while now and everything exciting about money is pretty much taken for granted so this situation this has to be weighing on him. I could see him just retiring.
Pretty strong statement from a fan-perspective taking leaps of assumptions and treating them as facts. Ladd seems to do his thing as a hockey player. The fans seem to find anything and everything wrong with him. He appears to be at the end of the line as a player. He's under contract that he and the team agreed to. It is what it is.

Why would the guy retire and leave money on the table? Multi-millionaire or 75k union guy that scams the system to go out on disability vs. retire out right. He can stay the course, the team LTIRs him, insurance reimburses the team, and he gets paid his salary. Rarely does a person of sane mind walk from cash.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Why would the guy retire and leave money on the table? Multi-millionaire or 75k union guy that scams the system to go out on disability vs. retire out right. He can stay the course, the team LTIRs him, insurance reimburses the team, and he gets paid his salary. Rarely does a person of sane mind walk from cash.

With respect to LTIR vs retirement, in this case we will use Ladd (but this goes for other potential players as well), I would assume it depends on several factors, with a couple details still to be determined.

The most important would be the amount of remaining money and how much, if any, insurance will cover? If the Isles can recoup a significant portion via insurance, then it makes sense for both parties to simply use LTIR.

However, if insurance is not necessarily applicable, be it the contract was not insured at the onset of the deal, the last few years are not insured for a material amount, his career-ending injury is not covered under the policy, etc. then both parties can look at outright retirement - with a few caveats.

The big question then is are Ladd's remaining bonus payments guaranteed if he opts for retirement and/or if the Isles agree to pay them out if he retires? The $6 million remaining in bonus money is the money I could see Ladd NOT walking away from. If the money is guaranteed or can be negotiated as such, even for a premature retirement, then retirement becomes a reasonable option.

Especially since Ladd only has $3 million in base salary remaining at $1 million per season. But that isn't necessarily a true and full $1 million per over three (3) years. Depending on how the CBA re-negotiations work out, escrow and/or a salary-percentage haircut could bring it down significantly.

At that point, you could argue that Ladd retiring and taking a front office position, with a contracted salary, no escrow, no haircuts, and potentially different tax considerations, could earn him more money then the $1 million AAV. If that is indeed the case, then retirement and not having to deal with medical paperwork, physicals to remain on LTIR, etc. could be the best course and very palatable.

We just don't know enough right now to make a firm call one way or the other. And that could be what the Isles and said player (be it anyone from Ladd to Hickey) are also waiting on. They might want to see how the new CBA breaks down and then decide on what action is best for everyone.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

He reminds me of the Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
There was an article detailing his back issues, I think he said he could barely stand up straight. Sounded brutal, couple that with his wrist injury, he’s got some serious mileage

further reading from last offseason
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...-injuries-are-worse-than-anyone-imagined/amp/

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Isn’t Ladd healthy? He played 11 minutes in a playoff game last season. That’s the problem with all these scenarios. The guy has mileage on his body but as long as he stays in shape, suits up and is willing to ride the bus in Bridgeport, he is in the drivers seat.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Isn’t Ladd healthy? He played 11 minutes in a playoff game last season. That’s the problem with all these scenarios. The guy has mileage on his body but as long as he stays in shape, suits up and is willing to ride the bus in Bridgeport, he is in the drivers seat.
I recall seeing a photo of him sturgeon fishing and he appears to keep himself in very good shape.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
Clutter has been in the back of my mind too...I don't think he's been his normal self since taking the skate to the wrist (not to mention his back). Dude's a warrior, but man...he's gotta feel it more and more as he gets older. Imagine how he'll feel getting out of bed in the morning when he's 50??? Yikes.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Having played in a game months ago does not mean he's going to pass a physical now. You can get injured or deteriorate further during the off-season, so that game is pretty irrelevant to determining whether or not he can play for this upcoming season.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
We are assuming Lou can pull a rubber stamp with big bold letters LTIR out of his desk drawer and go to town on Ladd's contract.

Yes Lou founded Robidas Island, but they still need to have Ladd designated as LTIR legitimately, by a doctor. I'm sure Bettman is aware of the fact that cap crunched teams in the Covid era are looking for any back door out of undesirable deals ....

Let the process play out, it's likely Ladd to LTIR is our source of relief, but not a sure shot.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
We are assuming Lou can pull a rubber stamp with big bold letters LTIR out of his desk drawer and go to town on Ladd's contract.

Yes Lou founded Robidas Island, but they still need to have Ladd designated as LTIR legitimately, by a doctor. I'm sure Bettman is aware of the fact that cap crunched teams in the Covid era are looking for any back door out of undesirable deals ....

Let the process play out, it's likely Ladd to LTIR is our source of relief, but not a sure shot.

We're the Islanders...there's no such thing as a sure shot. We should ALL know this by now!

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
There's a Boychuck/Komarov to Detroit thread on the Trade Board and thought of:

Maybe the easiest possibility is Boychuck, Komarov, & 2 2nds for Nielsen? That lets the Isles buy out Nielsen. Boychuck and Nielsen have the same contract length but Detroit pays out a lot less money on that pairing.

The Isles end up saving about $5 million in cap.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I recall seeing a photo of him sturgeon fishing and he appears to keep himself in very good shape.

Hey Lou, here's an option.

Send Ladd to the Caspian Sea to fish for beluga sturgeon. Their caviar retails for $7-10K/kg. Ladd keeps his salary but the Isles sell the fish eggs (maybe at Belmont).

Get a picture of Ladd fishing and it might make for a nice fourth jersey to replace the much maligned Fish sticks logo.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Ladd as a player is fine...he just needs to play half the season to get back up to speak again due to him being out so long. I am sure he does feel a little responsible but not nearly as bad as when Luongo was in Van.

It's weird though...had Pulock gone through arbitration and if the salary was 4m or higher, that would open up another buyout window which would have been an EASY fix. I don't think the isles want to do any buyouts because they clearly had the chance to do so.

I think it's either because they though Pulock would get a salary far too high for their liking OR they have something else in mind. I can only think of through trade? They had an out and they didn't take it.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Ladd as a player is fine...he just needs to play half the season to get back up to speak again due to him being out so long. I am sure he does feel a little responsible but not nearly as bad as when Luongo was in Van.

It's weird though...had Pulock gone through arbitration and if the salary was 4m or higher, that would open up another buyout window which would have been an EASY fix. I don't think the isles want to do any buyouts because they clearly had the chance to do so.

I think it's either because they though Pulock would get a salary far too high for their liking OR they have something else in mind. I can only think of through trade? They had an out and they didn't take it.

Pretty sure you could only use that buyout on a player making more than 4M. Both Ladd and Boychuk have buyout-proof contracts

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Maybe the easiest possibility is Boychuck, Komarov, & 2 2nds for Nielsen? That lets the Isles buy out Nielsen.
Why do I get the feeling that if Lou made that deal a lot of posters would be happy to have Frans back and wouldn't want to buy him out! :eek:

Reactions: BrockLobster

SI

Feb 16, 2013
There's a Boychuck/Komarov to Detroit thread on the Trade Board and thought of:

Maybe the easiest possibility is Boychuck, Komarov, & 2 2nds for Nielsen? That lets the Isles buy out Nielsen. Boychuck and Nielsen have the same contract length but Detroit pays out a lot less money on that pairing.

The Isles end up saving about $5 million in cap.

buyout window is closed for this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad