Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2020-21 Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Barzal, Greene, and probably Martin are most likely locks at this point. There's $10M in space now, so Barzal can get his $6-7M, Greene can sign for his $1.5M, and Martin can take his $1-1.5M and we're still good. Ladd needs to be shed in order to get someone like Hoffman.

Yep. More money has to go out the door to sign someone else. Could always pick some up at the deadline.

I would not be shocked to see parise become an option again.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
Keeping Ladd also means we keep our acquired 2nd round picks for Toews and those could be very useful for the trade deadline.

I don't think there's any way to get rid of Ladd via trade no matter what draft picks we try to throw in with it.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Actually, you don't need to trade someone like Ladd to get 4-5 million freed up, it would need to be Hickey or Komarov using one our 2nd rounders and possibly someone like Bellows....and then it is possible....

1) You could pay Barzal his 3 years and $19.5 million (6.5 million AAV)
2) You could pay Martin 2 years and $2 million (1.0 million AAV)
3) You could pay Greene his single year of $1 million (1)
4) Boyhcuk to LTIR
5) Bury Ladd (assuming he too doesn't wind up on LTIR)
6) Bury Hickey (assuming he too doesn't wind up on LTIR)
7) Trade Komarov, using one of the two second round picks we got in the Toews deal and a prospect

Lee (7)- Barzal (6.5)- Hoffman (5)- 18.5 million
Bailey (5)- Nelson (6)- Eberle (5.5)- 16.5
Beau (2.1)- Pageau (5)- Wahlstrom (.9)- 8
Martin (1)- Cizikas (3.35)- Clutterbuck (3.5)- 7.85

Johnston (1) Dal Colle (.7)- 1.7 million

Pelech (1.6)- Pulock (5)- 6.6 million
Leddy (5.5)- Mayfield (1.45)- 6.95
Greene (1)- Dobson (.9)- 1.9

Aho (.7)- .7 million

Varlamov (5)- Sorokin (2)- 7 million

Subtotal:

LTIR- Boyhcuk
Buried- Ladd - 4.425 million
Buried- Hickey- 1.425
Trade- Komarov

Grand Total: 23 players @ 81.5 million

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
So with Boychuk retiring what does our Top 7 D look like?

Depends on what other moves to make.

Let's say we send Hickey and a 2nd to Detroit for a 7th then you might be looking at bringing in Ben Hutton at $1-1.5 million for the 7th role if Aho is not considered a good fit for the system.

Personally I see Aho and Hutton as the 7th-8th if no moves are made. And I wouldn;t be surprised if we see Bolduc the following year.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I came to see if anyone credible has reported on this rumor. I am not an Incarcerated Bob fan.

Islanders: Rumor has it that a retirement or LTIR move could happen

Lot of talk about someone either retiring or being put on LTIR still trying to get full details if this actually happening soon.. https://t.co/UciJlST1FW
— IB
1f50c.svg
THE GAMBLER (@incarceratedbob) November 22, 2020

Looks like this one is true

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
Actually, you don't need to trade someone like Ladd to get 4-5 million freed up, it would need to be Hickey or Komarov using one our 2nd rounders and possibly someone like Bellows....and then it is possible....

1) You could pay Barzal his 3 years and $19.5 million (6.5 million AAV)
2) You could pay Martin 2 years and $2 million (1.0 million AAV)
3) You could pay Greene his single year of $1 million (1)
4) Boyhcuk to LTIR
5) Bury Ladd (assuming he too doesn't wind up on LTIR)
6) Bury Hickey (assuming he too doesn't wind up on LTIR)
7) Trade Komarov, using one of the two second round picks we got in the Toews deal and a prospect

Lee (7)- Barzal (6.5)- Hoffman (5)- 18.5 million
Bailey (5)- Nelson (6)- Eberle (5.5)- 16.5
Beau (2.1)- Pageau (5)- Wahlstrom (.9)- 8
Martin (1)- Cizikas (3.35)- Clutterbuck (3.5)- 7.85

Johnston (1) Dal Colle (.7)- 1.7 million

Pelech (1.6)- Pulock (5)- 6.6 million
Leddy (5.5)- Mayfield (1.45)- 6.95
Greene (1)- Dobson (.9)- 1.9

Aho (.7)- .7 million

Varlamov (5)- Sorokin (2)- 7 million

Subtotal:

LTIR- Boyhcuk
Buried- Ladd - 4.425 million
Buried- Hickey- 1.425
Trade- Komarov

Grand Total: 23 players @ 81.5 million

....and what do we do next year with the flat cap, Pelech and beauvillier due raises, and Sorokin a rfa? I don’t think getting rid of dalcolle and cizikas covers those raises.

i don’t think it’s smart to spend to the cap just because we can.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
So with Boychuk retiring what does our Top 7 D look like?
Assuming Greene gets signed, the top six seem obvious. In no particular order:

Pelech - Pulock
Leddy - Mayfield
Greene - Dobson

Only question is if Aho or Hickey makes it as the pressbox D. Maybe both.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
....and what do we do next year with the flat cap, Pelech and beauvillier due raises, and Sorokin a rfa? I don’t think getting rid of dalcolle and cizikas covers those raises.

i don’t think it’s smart to spend to the cap just because we can.

Aside from Martin's 1 million, none of what I did effects that. Barzal isn't signing a single year contract.

Obviously the Hoffman signing was if he took a one-year contract, as I am not giving him a multi-year deal because of the reasons you mentioned (needing to lock up Pelech, Beau and Sorokin)...

Also I basically got rid of Komarov's 3 million cap hit above as well, so techinically I saved 2 million more for next season.....

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Arghhh. Don't get me wrong, I do love the cap space and flexibility now, just surprised and disappointed it comes from Boychuk!! He looked like he could still play and contribute in some ways during the playoffs. He has deserved his retirement and possibly a role on the club.
LL needs to shed another contract as other posters have pointed out to make some improvements. Question to others: Is our defensive corps now a little suspect with the departure of 2 starters? Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

I honestly think the defense got slightly better when healthy but worse when we need a replacement. Greene is better than Boychuk and I wanted Dobson and Greene over Boychuk in the playoffs. Whether or not Dobson can handle a full season is a question, and whether or not he can develop his offensive game enough to replace Toews.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I still don't think we see any moves until he's officially off the shelf.

I stand by my comment that Martin, Greene etc haven't signed to maximize space against an offer sheet. You only get a week to match. So just in case I don't think Barzy signs or the other guys until Boychuk is officially IR'ed.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Yep, if we see Ladd and Hickey's contracts moving out in a similar manner as JB's, then there wouldn't be much stopping Lou from re-upping with Barzal, Martin, and Greene, then adding Hoffman.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Hickey is reliable NHL calibre depth. Yes, his contract is a bit high, but is manageable. We'd have to trade him to a weak defensive team. Hickey and Komarov for Nielsen? I honestly think Nielsen is being used wrong in Detroit and I am sure he will flourish in Trotz system and he has chemistry with a lot of people on this team.

His production fell immediately after he left. That's not a sign of a bad player..that's just a sign that he's not playing with specific players OR a system that works against him.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Hickey is reliable NHL calibre depth. Yes, his contract is a bit high, but is manageable. We'd have to trade him to a weak defensive team. Hickey and Komarov for Nielsen? I honestly think Nielsen is being used wrong in Detroit and I am sure he will flourish in Trotz system and he has chemistry with a lot of people on this team.

His production fell immediately after he left. That's not a sign of a bad player..that's just a sign that he's not playing with specific players OR a system that works against him.
Last thing we need is a 3C who is a big downgrade on our current 3C, as much as I love Frans

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

The Hickey of 17-18 certainly was.

He has fallen off the planet COMPLETELY since he was re-upped by Lamoriello. Did you see this guy in his few games in BPort last season? Sheesh!

In addition, the head problems are serious. He's basically one real strong gust of wind away from his next concussion.

He's currently a very likely candidate to be the next in line to "retire".

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Wouldn't take much to squeeze Athanasiou in. Worth a flyer?
Athanasiou is basically Grabner without the defensive/pk ability. I like his skating, but other than that he is basically a shooter version of Ho-Sang. I have a hard time seeing him fitting into our system, so I'd take a hard pass on him and if we need that type I would prefer just calling up Ho-Sang.

Reactions: PWJunior
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad