Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
And Pittsburgh gave Jarry his chance and Marino his chance. How is Marino thriving more than Dobson right now? Marino was drafted 154th and is 22.

They GOT A CHANCE and aren't benched every time they make a mistake.

Jarry played out of necessity, just like Dobson just did. Why didn't Dobson take the reins and force Trotz to play him more instead of replacing him with Greene?

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
But since you insist, this makes a point. We WERE HEALTHY last year, abnormally so. This season is more likely to repeat and we DON'T have the DEPTH.

Pittsburgh lost plenty of high end players to lengthy injuries and they were able to compensate. We aren't compensating.

Like @periferal 's point, we ain't Pittsburgh. We don't have near the talent they have in their big 3 (Crosby, Malkin and Letang) so they should not be our measuring stick when it comes to dealing with injuries right now.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
But since you insist, this makes a point. We WERE HEALTHY last year, abnormally so. This season is more likely to repeat and we DON'T have the DEPTH.

Pittsburgh lost plenty of high end players to lengthy injuries and they were able to compensate. We aren't compensating.

I agree which is why we needed Greene and I would be shocked if at least one more forward wasn't brought in....

Cizikas and Clutterbuck returning in March and we most certainly, with our schedule are capable of getting in and coming close to our 103 point last season....

Then we likely get a repeat first round matchup with the Pens...and we will see.

Beau is headed for a 50 pt season, Nelson his first 60 point season and I would like to think Bellows gets into the mix. Brassard will finish with 10 plus points more than what Flip brought. Dobson could shine on his right side where he is more comfortable. And we SHOULD have another forward or two in the mix.

Granted we need more from Lee and Eberle (Barzal, despite his recent struggles is still going to better his points total and best his career high in goals)....

But why give up? Makes no sense, when we could have a better team on paper, especially if our defense/net-minding is back to where it was for the year and a half before Adam went down...

Reactions: nyisleslover

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Took a quick look at Tampa's roster:

Stamkos
Hedman
Vasilevsky

Those are the ONLY 3 Tampa 1st round picks currently on their roster. A lesson for not being willing to make trades.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
And I am confident to say that is where we are going, whether we want to admit it or not. Hopefully Lou (and Barry on the ice) can make the right moves this week.....

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I agree which is why we needed Greene and I would be shocked if at least one more forward wasn't brought in....

Cizikas and Clutterbuck returning in March and we most certainly, with our schedule are capable of getting in and coming close to our 103 point last season....

Then we likely get a repeat first round matchup with the Pens...and we will see.

Beau is headed for a 50 pt season, Nelson his first 60 point season and I would like to think Bellows gets into the mix. Brassard will finish with 10 plus points more than what Flip brought. Dobson could shine on his right side where he is more comfortable. And we SHOULD have another forward or two in the mix.

Granted we need more from Lee and Eberle (Barzal, despite his recent struggles is still going to better his points total and best his career high in goals)....

But why give up? Makes no sense, when we could have a better team on paper, especially if our defense/net-minding is back to where it was for the year and a half before Adam went down...

There are no guarantees Cizikas and Clutterbuck will be effective IF they return this season. Yashin was pretty much ruined by his wrist cut.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
There are no guarantees Cizikas and Clutterbuck will be effective IF they return this season. Yashin was pretty much ruined by his wrist cut.

It's rare a guy gets given a 3-4 week timetable on something like that and doesn't return.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

Cizikas's cut sounds muscular based on his timeframe to return. Major difference between his injury and Clutterbuck's (connective tissue). As for Yashin vs. Clutterbuck injuries, these two players have very different skillsets. Yashin was a finesse player who relied on his hands to play his game. While Cal has a bit of offensive pop, providing offense is not really the reason he's in the NHL.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
And that fits with what I am arguing. We already know our player's upsides, with the possible exception of Beau. We've seen PPG Barzal already. Lee will not score 40 goals again. Eberle is not going to put up more points, nor is Bailey. Nelson is close to maxing out. There's no upside left there.

Was Trotz lowballed by the Capitals because they had tired of him? Thought he was too stubborn? That was always a strange ending there. The owner is a billionaire, the amount to pay him wasn't an issue to the owner solely on a dollar basis. Something happened there that never surfaced.

The 3rd and 4th lines can not be placeholders for time on the ice when we have this Top 6. If Beau and Bailey were 3rd liners that's a different story, but they aren't.
It was a strange ending, which came down to a clause that would release him from his contract. He was also considered to be
underpaid compared to other less experienced coaches the league. The Caps had denied other teams inquiring about Todd Reirden (Turd We're done) so he kinda knew what was up. Discussion of whether Washington won because of Trotz or because they knew he was leaving is still sometimes brought up on their boards. I think it was during the handshake that Trotz said to Tortorella something like 'this is it for me' but it could've been after one of the later rounds.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Jarry played out of necessity, just like Dobson just did. Why didn't Dobson take the reins and force Trotz to play him more instead of replacing him with Greene?

Why did Trotz decide he could switch to the left side so easily after dominating Junior on the right side? Why not let a more experienced player like Mayfield make that change? It wasn't too many games ago we were all cheering how much Dobson was improving.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Why did Trotz decide he could switch to the left side so easily after dominating Junior on the right side? Why not let a more experienced player like Mayfield make that change? It wasn't too many games ago we were all cheering how much Dobson was improving.

Just like teams, young players develop with inconsistent peaks and valleys. I'm a huge Dobson fan... have been since before the draft. He definitely exhibits all the skill set of a top defender, and I think long-term he will be the organizations best d-man.

Problems with Dobson RIGHT NOW is that: He still makes the occasional jittery rookie turn-over and He is woefully understrength. Why Trotz, elected to start him on the left, instead of his more comfortable position? I don't know. Maybe he figured he would struggle either way and it was better to support him by having his partner in their more natural position? Totally throwing darts at that one.

But to me, the important thing with Dobson's development is that Trotz communicates those expectations with the player.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
As for Yashin vs. Clutterbuck injuries, these two players have very different skillsets. Yashin was a finesse player who relied on his hands to play his game. While Cal has a bit of offensive pop, providing offense is not really the reason he's in the NHL.
If Clutterbuck comes back and feels like he can't pick corners with his shot anymore, he could end up being a vastly improved player....

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Is it just me, or is this thread going off the rails? It is very clear that, in order to take the next step and continue to improve, changes will need to be made. The question is how much can be done at the trade deadline vs. want remains and needs to be completed before the start of next season?

The Isles need to add at least one top-six forward and probably two such players - with one winger to play alongside Barzal (and bury chances he generates) and a solid center so the Isles can roll four lines. Maybe they can get one player at the trade deadline, that is what I am hoping for at least.

Young players like Barzal, Beau, Pulock, Toews, Dobson, etc. need to keep getting experience. Even one playoff round will be beneficial for them.

The Isles have to get back injured players like Pelech, Cizikas, Clutter, etc. Although it will probably be until next season before we see Pelech again.

The Isles need to sign Sorokin, bring him over and hope he develops into a top goaltender, which I think is very likely given the success of similar Russian/KHL goalies.

A contract or two will need to be shed (Hickey?) and/or sent to LTIR (Ladd?).

Next year, maybe the Isles can capitalize on their defense depth to add one player upfront in a hockey trade that helps both teams.

In a perfect world, we will see some continued growth from prospects like Bellows, Wahlstrom, Holmstrom, Wilde, Ish, etc. They are either part of the long-term solution (as players on ELCs who can pitch in and develop as they get older) or might be used as trade chips.

Those are just a few of my thoughts.

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
Yashin was out 3 months with what Clutterbuck had.

Mark Parrish said on his last podcast with arthur staple that injury nearly cost yashin the use of his hand. Not sure if he’s exaggerating but any cut like that could have long lasting repercussions. Hopefully not for cal but you never know.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
This isn't the 70s or 80s. Teams are never "done". With the salary cap and free agency, rosters are constantly evolving. You only tear things down if your good players are old and/or approaching UFA and you have a very shallow prospect pool. That's not us. And we have a new arena to fill in 18 months.

If we get Sorokin and the young D continue developing as hoped/expected, we're really just a high-end winger and a 3C away from being really, really good. If Panarin had signed here, things would be very different....

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
To me it is all about acceptance with reality. We aren't selling and we aren't plugging in youngsters while in playoff hunt. So talking about it really is like blowing into the wind.

I think it would be more constructive to consider and discuss what realistic moves could be made before Monday's deadline, since that is what this thread is supposed to be about.....

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
And this one:

Confirmed Trade: [NYR/CAR] Rangers trade Joey Keane to Hurricanes for Julien Gauthier

When some of us last summer were talking about trading from a strength to help a weakness this is what we were talking about. Wilde for him would have fit the bill.

Julien Gauthier Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad