Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. IX: Bubble Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Kevin Hayes was traded during the playoffs last year on June 3 and the cup wasn't awarded until June 12.
I think that was for a 4th round pick as they knew he would not sign an extension if I’m correct. I guess you can make trades but don’t a recall a big trade like this one happening during the Stanley cup playoffs .

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
I'm fairly certain teams that are eliminated (and teams in the playoffs) can always make trades, so that's not something unique to this year.

Teams can make trades any time of the year. The "Trade Deadline" is poorly named. Its really a deadline to get playoff rosters set. No player traded after the "Trade Deadline" is available for the playoff that year. There is usually professional courtesy for teams to not trade during the playoffs but if you remember the Islanders acquired Halak during the playoffs.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Teams can make trades any time of the year. The "Trade Deadline" is poorly named. Its really a deadline to get playoff rosters set. No player traded after the "Trade Deadline" is available for the playoff that year. There is usually professional courtesy for teams to not trade during the playoffs but if you remember the Islanders acquired Halak during the playoffs.
That was also a fourth rounder as halak was a ufa.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
You just know Pit-Tor will play in the first round of the playoffs next year and Kapanen will score a bunch of goals....

That would mean that one of these teams finishes in the top two in their division. I dont see that happening. .I think it more likely that at least one of these teams doesn't make the playoffs next year and the other will be an underdog in the first round.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
They're going to keep pushing all their chips to the middle until the Crosby and Malkin train comes to a halt, that's certainly one strategy, but the timing is what irks me. I think they'd get a lot more at the draft floor for that first rounder than trading it now for Kapenen.

I mean you have 2 of the best players to ever play the game so it does make no sense to not try and go for it until they retire. That said if you could get some pieces by dealing Malkin and try to retool around Crosby that seems to be a much better way to go about it. Because Kapanen isn't the piece that's going to put them over the top and they're about out of moves to make.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
That would mean that one of these teams finishes in the top two in their division. I dont see that happening. .I think it more likely that at least one of these teams doesn't make the playoffs next year and the other will be an underdog in the first round.
I didn't think about that - you're probably right. Actually though, how about TOR winning their division to get the hopes up and then dash them to pieces?

Reactions: 19 in a row

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
We are doomed !!
The further we go, the more the douchier segment of the media is gonna start saying nice things about us. And I'll be the first one to say "hey did you see what that hack Alberga had to say today".

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Gaudreau is a regular season phenom. No thanks

To me it's similar to coaches. Getting a coach that always has regular season success but his teams fail in the playoffs is a fine get, because you're hoping they get over the hump with your team. I'd take a young regular season phenom like Gaudreau and hope he can break through his playoff struggles with my team.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
To me it's similar to coaches. Getting a coach that always has regular season success but his teams fail in the playoffs is a fine get, because you're hoping they get over the hump with your team. I'd take a young regular season phenom like Gaudreau and hope he can break through his playoff struggles with my team.
Worked for Eberle. Last playoffs he was an animal, this one he's been ok and still has 6 points in 10 games.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Trotz was one of those coaches as well. In the league forever and then finally won with Washington.
Yeah I lean on the side of not fully believing guys are one camp or another their whole careers. There's too many factors.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Gaudreau is a regular season phenom. No thanks

He does have 19 (8G, 11A) pts in 30 playoff games (7 pts in 10 games this year), I wouldn't say that is terrible. But you have a fair point.

I'm just looking for PP and Barzal winger help anywhere, and he sure as hell sounds like he's on the trading block. We know the Flames want him out and he's coming off a terrible year, could strike while the iron is hot.

Reactions: The Real JT

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
He does have 19 (8G, 11A) pts in 30 playoff games (7 pts in 10 games this year), I wouldn't say that is terrible. But you have a fair point.

I'm just looking for PP and Barzal winger help anywhere, and he sure as hell sounds like he's on the trading block. We know the Flames want him out and he's coming off a terrible year, could strike while the iron is hot.

Yeah he had a better playoffs this year, no doubt. I actually though his overall numbers were worse. My biggest issue is that he is being shopped for a reason. He is incredibly talented but Calgary could not build around him as the cornerstone guy. His salary is a great value for his production I just wonder if he would fit in with the new Islanders brand of hockey.

At one point, I would've loved to get him but now it's looking like Beauvillier could be the source of offense we needed moving forward and at a better price. I wonder what the cost for 2 years of Johnny Hockey would be ....

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah he had a better playoffs this year, no doubt. I actually though his overall numbers were worse. My biggest issue is that he is being shopped for a reason. He is incredibly talented but Calgary could not build around him as the cornerstone guy. His salary is a great value for his production I just wonder if he would fit in with the new Islanders brand of hockey.

At one point, I would've loved to get him but now it's looking like Beauvillier could be the source of offense we needed moving forward and at a better price. I wonder what the cost for 2 years of Johnny Hockey would be ....

I think being traded to a team that isn't looking for a savior could help him. He doesn't need to be the guy on this Islanders team, he needs to be one of them. He'd be brought in to bolster the lineup.

The cost is the prohibitive thing, obviously, and I'm interested in what that'd be as well. I'd part with a lot of non-roster players for him.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Jon Cooper.

Reactions: Costigan77

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Jon Cooper.

He's an interesting guy. For most of his tenure in Tampa he's had pretty good teams to work with I think (and I think he's learning too). Someone like Boudreau is more of who I'm thinking of, a guy who has success in more than one place but can never seem to get it done. He has eight first place finishes and has only missed the playoffs (in a season he wasn't fired) twice. Now, Boudreau's time might have come and gone because styles in the game do change over time but you get the point.

Reactions: MJF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad