Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I'd trade Eberle, mostly because I don't think he's good and resigning him would ensure he's bolted to the wing of this team for the next 5-7 years.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
I'd trade Eberle, mostly because I don't think he's good and resigning him would ensure he's bolted to the wing of this team for the next 5-7 years.

But what are we going to get for him? I know it goes against hfboards' collective asset-fetish, but the marginal value of a non-first rounder probably isn't greater than the benefit of a better playoff run, both now (playoffs are fun and I want to have fun watching sports) and in the future (get Barzal quality playoff experience, establish credibility).

If we can get a first, I'll drive him to the airport.

Last edited:

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
But what are we going to get for him? I know it goes against hfboards' collective asset-fetish, but a the marginal value of a non-first rounder probably isn't greater than the benefit of a better playoff run, both now (playoffs are fun and I want to have fun watching sports) and in the future (get Barzal quality playoff experience, establish credibility).

If we can get a first, I'll drive him to the airport.

this x 1000

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Would our HF contingent be interested in Stone between now and the deadline.

Would you trade the 14th overall pick for him; gives NYI additional resources to convince him to sign. He plays shotgun to Barz.

Or maybe JHS, MVS , 2nd (‘20), and a 3rd?

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

Would you trade the 14th overall pick for him; gives NYI additional resources to convince him to sign. He plays shotgun to Barz.

With all due respect, what additional resources does it give the Isles?

• A trial run next to Barzy?
  • Time to talk with him before any other team?
Pajamas has set a precedent. I see every big name player testing the waters from here on out, I doubt he decides to commit to Islanders without "seeing the process through" or something along those lines. I personally feel our prospect pool is deep enough that we can afford to spend a 1st. However, I don't know if Stone puts us over the top where we can really contend. In terms of overall firepower, we'd still be way behind Pittsburgh, Washington and Tampa.

Interesting idea though - this deadline is going to be nuts IMO - after years of null snow acquisitions , a real deadline add like Stone would be exciting. He's a legit 1st line talent - we really don't know how this team will progress/regress. Look at all the clubs that have a good season and fall hard and fast...

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
I saw staple mention his name during his Q and A the other day and it got me thinking, what about Ryan Dzingel? He’s a upcoming UFA LW who is having himself a nice year with the sens. 19G 16A on the year. could slot in nicely on line 3 with uncle Leo and Filp. Would think it wouldn’t cost as much as the bigger fish and would help add depth to the bottom 6. Then focus on landing a Duchene/Panarin during FA period.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
With all due respect, what additional resources does it give the Isles?

• A trial run next to Barzy?
  • Time to talk with him before any other team?
Pajamas has set a precedent. I see every big name player testing the waters from here on out, I doubt he decides to commit to Islanders without "seeing the process through" or something along those lines. I personally feel our prospect pool is deep enough that we can afford to spend a 1st. However, I don't know if Stone puts us over the top where we can really contend. In terms of overall firepower, we'd still be way behind Pittsburgh, Washington and Tampa.

Interesting idea though - this deadline is going to be nuts IMO - after years of null snow acquisitions , a real deadline add like Stone would be exciting. He's a legit 1st line talent - we really don't know how this team will progress/regress. Look at all the clubs that have a good season and fall hard and fast...

Resources include:

-ethos of a winning team
-tator Trotz
-musings and stories by the legend Lou
-playing in the Coli
-learning that Ledecky has lotsa $$$$
-the love of playing w an elite playmaker
-additional time to allure, eg seeing LI, working w LL and co

If we could somehow snag him without a 1st, whal or dob, count me in.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Resources include:

-ethos of a winning team -
-tator Trotz
-musings and stories by the legend Lou
-playing in the Coli
-learning that Ledecky has lotsa $$$$
-the love of playing w an elite playmaker
-additional time to allure, eg seeing LI, working w LL and co

If we could somehow snag him without a 1st, whal or dob, count me in.

ethos of a winning team - any team spending 1sts is competitive at that moment, but Isles haven't exactly been a "winning team" in recent history
-tator Trotz - good one, Only one Barry
-musings and stories by the legend Lou - Really?
-playing in the Coli - Could mean nothing or everything to Stone. Probably closer to nothing
-learning that Ledecky has lotsa $$$$ - In a cap league with other teams pitching him, it's somewhat trivial since it comes down to what a team is willing to offer.
-the love of playing w an elite playmaker - True
-additional time to allure, eg seeing LI, working w LL and co - Most Important

If we could somehow snag him without a 1st, whal or dob, count me in. Whal & Dob would not be on the table for a rental IMO, no way no how. But the fact that they did fall to us (and we have a deep prospect pool with Aho, Wilde, MVS , Wotherspoon, JHS, MDC, Bellows, Koivula, Ishahkov and Golyshev) could make that 1st expendable.

We are thin at C and could really use a high end one in this coming draft. That's the counter argument for keeping it.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
ethos of a winning team - any team spending 1sts is competitive at that moment, but Isles haven't exactly been a "winning team" in recent history
-tator Trotz - good one, Only one Barry
-musings and stories by the legend Lou - Really?
-playing in the Coli - Could mean nothing or everything to Stone. Probably closer to nothing
-learning that Ledecky has lotsa $$$$ - In a cap league with other teams pitching him, it's somewhat trivial since it comes down to what a team is willing to offer.
-the love of playing w an elite playmaker - True
-additional time to allure, eg seeing LI, working w LL and co - Most Important

If we could somehow snag him without a 1st, whal or dob, count me in. Whal & Dob would not be on the table for a rental IMO, no way no how. But the fact that they did fall to us (and we have a deep prospect pool with Aho, Wilde, MVS , Wotherspoon, JHS, MDC, Bellows, Koivula, Ishahkov and Golyshev) could make that 1st expendable.

We are thin at C and could really use a high end one in this coming draft. That's the counter argument for keeping it.

There’s a winning culture developing here. Stone is far removed from that. He’s been around losing and controversy.

Only one poster, Tator Trotz ;)

It had be reported several times from Gross and Staple that LL has had an impact on many NYIs w his history.

This we don’t know, I’m sure it will help to have 14000 rocking the barn.

Me thinks NYI is poised to outbid others.

Barzal period.

Agreed.

I’d consider the 14-18 pick for him. Keep Whal and Don due to upside.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
But what are we going to get for him? I know it goes against hfboards' collective asset-fetish, but a the marginal value of a non-first rounder probably isn't greater than the benefit of a better playoff run, both now (playoffs are fun and I want to have fun watching sports) and in the future (get Barzal quality playoff experience, establish credibility).

That's cool. I was using the binary of re-sign vs trade as my parameters. I'm one of the last people to advocate scorched-earth policy of trading everything for assets, so I get it. I just don't see him as a key player, so I didn't necessarily consider it a positive to keep him vs a replacement type.

Why not hold on to him, use his offense, let him walk?

That's cool. He's not providing much offense, but whatever. I'd just rather not re-sign him, is all.

norwegianislander

May 9, 2009
Hamar, Norway
Friedman’s 31 Thoughts said the asking price for Zuccarello would probably be a 2nd and a prospect. That seems pretty cheap, always thought he was better than Eberle for example..

Before the season I would have said Zuccas value would be a 1rd pick and B prospect, but injury and the dip in points have sendt his value down. He also dont look like handles the pressure from not knowing what will happend to him. In the Norwegian media they are writing about Nashville, Dallas, Jets and Calgary as the teams that will go after him, but that is just speculations from the Norwegian media.

There is no way the Rangers send a fans fav to Long Island.

joekono

Apr 29, 2016
Roxbury,New Jersey
The main objective here is not to derail the progress we have made especially the way the team thinks (Trotz, of course). Also, as far as judas goes, he lied to them and he could have tole them he was gone and done it quietly, and could've been traded at the deadline. Bottom line. As far as this year goes, we have an influx of young talent that looks like it's going to stay and Lee, Nelson and Eberle should be kept for continuity but we really must not get screed again at the deadline. I know it's a money game ( more less in the NHL) but it would be nice to keep Eberle for a 3 or 4 year contract just because I think he brings something intangible to the team. PLEEEEEEEASE get rid of Hickey. It's obvious the strides the defense has made without him. I just fix the sheetrock that I put hole in the day they resigned him.:laugh:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Lee must be resigned. I hate that with Lou running the show we can't even know if they're talking, but if the Isles aren't trying to sign him or he won't negotiate then he MUST be traded. No "Tavaresgates" part 2. Absolutely go for Duchene even though it's a longshot, but if we resign Nelson that dream will die.

Lee cannot be allowed to walk. Nor should Nelson simply be allowed to walk. I agree wholeheartedly.

I don't see Lee, who is the No. 1 in-house UFA we need to retain, walking. Just a major gut feeling. Saw Tavares walking for all but about a month last season/spring. Lee feels like a totally different story.

I do (unfortunately) see Nelson walking. But if he's replaced with Duchene or Hayes (more on him later), no problem. But that's a big IF at this juncture.

Tough situation, but we are in no position whatsoever to allow our entire UFA line to walk, even if there are direct and better options on the market.

I would trade Nelson and take my chances at center as the money/term he's going to commend won't help this team get to the Cup.

Might happen. My feeling now is that he stays and then walks in the summer.

I can't wait to see how pragmatic Lou is. Could he end up being sooo ice cold that although the team is doing well and moving nicely into the playoffs, he moves Nelson and Eberle simply because he does NOT plan on resigning them???

I'd rather lose Eberle for nothing than give him 6 million/year. Try to trade at all costs.

Agree. Can definitely see him being traded rather than be allowed to walk, regardless of where we're at this season.

Other options on the market this summer.

Stone or Panarin would be a dream. Yes please.

Might as well just go for Panarin-Duchene-Stone with Karlsson on the blueline.:)

I know Bobrovsky is a "name" player and good, but do you want to commit massive and long-term dollars to a guy who can become a distraction at any time? I don't. Lehner still has much to prove, but if we can resign him to a 2-3 year deal that should be the goaltending solution for now. He's been OUTSTANDING.

The outside analyzer would say that re-upping Lehner is definitely the way to go at this juncture.

That said, I don't see Lehner as being a "Lou guy" in goal. I do think Lou will wait until summer to figure out the goaltending as I think he will want to explore Bobrovsky first.

The possibility exists. And we've gotta wonder what roles Lou sees Sorokin and Skarek playing - and when. At the moment, Korn and co. are squeezing water out of two goalies who were stones last season.

Ho-Sang/Dal Colle won't fetch much in a deal, but I'm all for dealing at least JHS. MDC might as well hold even though I'm pretty sure he's a bust.

Agree.

At least MDC is looking like he can do anything that a Kuhnhackl could, and should bring more once he really starts feeling it.

His past 4 games have clearly been his best to date.

The reason LL won't bring in a #1 defenseman is because how is going to find one? We have some decent prospects, but the cost to get a #1 D-man is way too high and there are none to sign in FA. If he can package a Pelech/Mayfield and a 1st rounder for a legit top-3 D-man, that's much more of a move I see him making.

Interesting. Long-term, I don't think the blueline needs much work.

I do feel Leddy and Hickey are goners at some point before the end of next season, likely sooner. Toews is looking like he can fill Leddy's role, Aho is knocking on the door with his AHL all-star season and - you can take this to the bank - Dobson = Pietrangelo. Not sure when exactly, but he is going to be that player.

And all that although I haven't yet mentioned that Wilde is a thoroughbred and is having the best season of all of our prospects.

Go ahead an explore it, but no one is trading anything of substance for Kühnhackl or Sbisa. If they can't play for us how are they playing for a Cup contender?

No need to even talk about them as trading chips. Pure depth players - nothing more. Both are walking this summer.

Kevin Hayes I would absolutely make a run for. He's been playing great on the worst rangers team in 20 years. He's got size and is in his prime and could fill that #2 center role for cheaper than Duchene (and maybe even Nelson). Give me Hayes over Nelson.

BING BING BING!

The guy is a monster. I've watched him closely and this guy can really play hockey. He's everything I'd soooo wish Nelson would be. This may be exactly the guy Lou is going after if/when Nelson walks.

Spezza is basically done. If Nelson walks and LL can't get Duchene/Hayes/another legit #2 center, then I'd sign Spezza as a placeholder for ONE year, but I wouldn't expect much.

Watched him as well a bit this year. I say no here. Definitely a step back in my book. There's a lot of lack in his game. Mobility has become a big problem.

There'll be better options, even it means (finally) bringing in one of the bigger UFA option out of Europe this summer.

Reactions: dood

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Trade for Panarin. Let him come here and be apart of this new Islanders atmosphere . Well seasoned GM. Stanley Cup winning coach that has a system that actually works . This would be the best way to get him to possibly sign an extension . That and a nice big check.

If CBJ takes Eberle in return, it's doable.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

That's a no from me. Too costly for a rental that doesn't really put this team in the cup conversation.

I saw staple mention his name during his Q and A the other day and it got me thinking, what about Ryan Dzingel? He’s a upcoming UFA LW who is having himself a nice year with the sens. 19G 16A on the year. could slot in nicely on line 3 with uncle Leo and Filp. Would think it wouldn’t cost as much as the bigger fish and would help add depth to the bottom 6. Then focus on landing a Duchene/Panarin during FA period.

Who is he replacing though? Ho-Sang or Dal Colle need a spot, unless they're traded.

I would sign Hayes Lee AND Nelson, let Eberle walk

Who is the 3C in that scenario? Nelson wasn't good at it when he was given the opportunity, though with a different coach and system, but both he and Hayes will be paid like second line centers. Leaves little room to upgrade elsewhere.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
No need to even talk about them as trading chips. Pure depth players - nothing more. Both are walking this summer.

I wasn't suggesting that they'd bring back a haul, but if they aren't needed anymore there's no reason to keep them around. We have pretty good depth on defense that Sbisa is only going to get a game when the others can't go last minute. Kuhnhackl isn't bringing anything that Ho-Sang or Dal Colle aren't either. Take a 5th rounder for them or whatever and trade them. I wouldn't be upset if they don't.

Watched him as well a bit this year. I say no here. Definitely a step back in my book. There's a lot of lack in his game. Mobility has become a big problem.

There'll be better options, even it means (finally) bringing in one of the bigger UFA option out of Europe this summer.

I haven't watched him a lot this season, but his production seems decent at this point (21 points in 45 GP) which is very similar to Filppula. He's a former star player and that might be good to have around. Really, I just want another veteran center for that third line role, don't care much about who it is as long as they're cheap. Filppula would be fine but I do think he's beginning to fade as the season wears on, at least offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad