Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
For a short term solution to the Center depth problem what about grabbing Nate Thompson from LA for a 6th or a crap prospect? That way if we go down a man it becomes a plug and play situation.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
They should try and get Brayden Schenn. He’d be a perfect Trotz 2C.

Schenn is on a 54 point pace. If Nelson actually turned a corner under Trotz and becomes a 50 point guy would that pretty much be the same? Also Nelson would just cost money while Schenn costs assets.

At this point I think it's Duchene or bust down the middle.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
For a short term solution to the Center depth problem what about grabbing Nate Thompson from LA for a 6th or a crap prospect? That way if we go down a man it becomes a plug and play situation.

Another 4th line plugger, no thanks. Our roster is already cramped enough and the only additions we should make are ones that actually makes our team much better. If Nelson is out for months then a trade might be necessary but in the short term, Bailey, Beau or Fritz can fill in if needed.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Another 4th line plugger, no thanks. Our roster is already cramped enough and the only additions we should make are ones that actually makes our team much better. If Nelson is out for months then a trade might be necessary but in the short term, Bailey, Beau or Fritz can fill in if needed.

My thought process is that maybe the move is to give Cizikas time as the 2C. His game looks so much better than just being a center on the 4th line. So if Nelson is out you move him to 2C and plug Thompson in as 4C.

Just throwing shit at the wall. Not saying it's a final solution to a problem just that it's something to get this team over the injury hump.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
My thought process is that maybe the move is to give Cizikas time as the 2C. His game looks so much better than just being a center on the 4th line. So if Nelson is out you move him to 2C and plug Thompson in as 4C.

Just throwing **** at the wall. Not saying it's a final solution to a problem just that it's something to get this team over the injury hump.
I think Cizikas has more offensive prowess than his fourth line play shows. That being said, putting him in a #2C role is a wee bit ambitious, even if you give him talent to play with. I'll agree that he is a solid #3C and if you give him a little more fire power than he's previously had, he'll produce at a better clip than he is now.

I've always viewed CC as a (slightly) poor man's Ryan Callahan.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
A nice question and answer by Dan Rosen of NHL.com for those of you who are interested:

Do you see the New York Islanders making any big moves via trade? Definitely need more of a scoring punch. -- @tswizzle_31

"Did you notice I didn't include Jordan Eberle as a potential target for the Wild in the answer to the previous question? I think the Islanders are going to remain in the hunt for a playoff berth and that's why I don't think they'll trade Eberle, even if the forward doesn't have a contract for next season. General manager Lou Lamoriello will actively scour the market for help. I'd look on the wing first. Adding a top-six forward to play on the wing could push Anthony Beauvillier into a third-line role, which increases the Islanders' scoring depth. Forward Andrew Ladd will create even greater depth when he returns from a lower-body injury. The only thing that changes my thinking on the Islanders looking for help through a trade is if forward Joshua Ho-Sang starts to break out. If they can go after Duchene, fine, but I wouldn't worry about the Islanders center depth of Mathew Barzal, Brock Nelson, Valtteri Filppula and Casey Cizikas. If they get Duchene, Nelson could move to the wing."

Answer seems speculative at best, but his speculation may be better than ours. Seems as if nobody knows what Lamoriello and Trotz are thinking.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
What's the latest timetable on Ladd? I completely forgot about him but do remember him starting off the year at a decent pace. That short angle wrister against the Preds or Sharks? is burned in my memory of what could be.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
A nice question and answer by Dan Rosen of NHL.com for those of you who are interested:

Do you see the New York Islanders making any big moves via trade? Definitely need more of a scoring punch. -- @tswizzle_31

"Did you notice I didn't include Jordan Eberle as a potential target for the Wild in the answer to the previous question? I think the Islanders are going to remain in the hunt for a playoff berth and that's why I don't think they'll trade Eberle, even if the forward doesn't have a contract for next season. General manager Lou Lamoriello will actively scour the market for help. I'd look on the wing first. Adding a top-six forward to play on the wing could push Anthony Beauvillier into a third-line role, which increases the Islanders' scoring depth. Forward Andrew Ladd will create even greater depth when he returns from a lower-body injury. The only thing that changes my thinking on the Islanders looking for help through a trade is if forward Joshua Ho-Sang starts to break out. If they can go after Duchene, fine, but I wouldn't worry about the Islanders center depth of Mathew Barzal, Brock Nelson, Valtteri Filppula and Casey Cizikas. If they get Duchene, Nelson could move to the wing."

Answer seems speculative at best, but his speculation may be better than ours. Seems as if nobody knows what Lamoriello and Trotz are thinking.

I'm not sure when the question came in or when he formulated the answer but he does rightly point out that JHS is a big variable in what happens with this roster going forward. Ladd too although we have no idea if he's going to play again this year.

I also think this will be a buyer's market and Eberle won't net us what we think he will (i.e. a 1st rounder). He's obviously more valuable than Brandon Davidson (what a waste of a 3rd rounder that was), but I don't think a team will give up a 1st rounder to get him as a rental which puts his value somewhere in the 2nd round category. If we are in the playoff/WC hunt, is it worth it to move him as opposed to keeping him in order to make a run? I think we undervalue Eberle somewhat around these parts. He's not a 40 goal scorer, but he is a competent RH shooting top 6 winger who knows how to put the puck in the net. While us fans are infatuated with picks and prospects at times, I doubt a team is going to give up on the season for the sake of collecting an extra 2nd round pick. Of course, if we are out of it, he should be sold for a bag of pucks, if need be. But that doesn't look like that's going to happen at this point. And that's a good thing.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
What's the latest timetable on Ladd? I completely forgot about him but do remember him starting off the year at a decent pace. That short angle wrister against the Preds or Sharks? is burned in my memory of what could be.

I've heard nothing about him and his name never shows up in practice updates that the beat writers send out, so I wouldn't expect him back soon.

Putting him in for Komorov on the third line would really round that line out. Ho-Sang/Flip/Ladd is a nice mix of offense/defense and I'd really like to see it.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I've heard nothing about him and his name never shows up in practice updates that the beat writers send out, so I wouldn't expect him back soon.

Putting him in for Komorov on the third line would really round that line out. Ho-Sang/Flip/Ladd is a nice mix of offense/defense and I'd really like to see it.

I completely agree, assuming Ladd is healthy or at least as healthy as he will ever be again, a Ladd-Flip-JHS line could make for a nice mix of different skills.

Then move Uncle Leo (RW) to the fourth line, alongside Cizikas, and either Martin or Johnston for now at LW, with MDC eventually taking on the role a bit later this season. You have leadership and defense with the two vets and MDC gets a shot to show what he has and hopefully climb the depth chart as long as he performs well.

Then loan Clusterf#ck to Seattle, so they can start their franchise, and we are in good shape, lol.

Unfortunately, I am not sure how much Ladd has left in the tank (physically) at this point. To get the most out of him, and have him hold up better over the grind of a long season, they probably should rest him far more.

The coaches would need to get him on board with the idea that more rest up front, could mean more games over the long term. I am sure he wants to be out there every game, but that probably isn't realistic anymore.

I don't think it would be a bad plan, with MDC rotating up into Ladd's spot when he is rested, then you just insert Martin or Johnston back onto the fourth line.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I'm not sure when the question came in or when he formulated the answer but he does rightly point out that JHS is a big variable in what happens with this roster going forward. Ladd too although we have no idea if he's going to play again this year.

I also think this will be a buyer's market and Eberle won't net us what we think he will (i.e. a 1st rounder). He's obviously more valuable than Brandon Davidson (what a waste of a 3rd rounder that was), but I don't think a team will give up a 1st rounder to get him as a rental which puts his value somewhere in the 2nd round category. If we are in the playoff/WC hunt, is it worth it to move him as opposed to keeping him in order to make a run? I think we undervalue Eberle somewhat around these parts. He's not a 40 goal scorer, but he is a competent RH shooting top 6 winger who knows how to put the puck in the net. While us fans are infatuated with picks and prospects at times, I doubt a team is going to give up on the season for the sake of collecting an extra 2nd round pick. Of course, if we are out of it, he should be sold for a bag of pucks, if need be. But that doesn't look like that's going to happen at this point. And that's a good thing.

I feel like Eberle would bring back a better deal if LL swaps him for players instead of picks. Boston needs secondary scoring, and they have some nice young LHD to spare. Something around Zboril could be possible if no picks are involved and maybe the Isles eat a little money.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I feel like Eberle would bring back a better deal if LL swaps him for players instead of picks. Boston needs secondary scoring, and they have some nice young LHD to spare. Something around Zboril could be possible if no picks are involved and maybe the Isles eat a little money.

Give them Nelson too and pray they give us Vaakanainen. I think he could to be high end.

Reactions: Jester9881

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I think Ladd is quickly becoming Grabovski Part Deux.

Good thing Snow isn't in charge or he'd be moving him, a 1st, a 2nd, and Mirageas to Seattle to keep Mayfield and Komarov safe in the expansion draft.

Reactions: danteipp

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

I think Eberle is the most marketable UFA on the team. He's the most likely trade deadline subtraction, especially if Ho-Sang can make the grade the next 8 weeks.

One way or another, Lou has a plethora of guys to make big offers to next summer. He can decide now if our UFAs are among them. Then profit from them as he will.

Interesting that you mention Zboril. Boston has a glutony of young Dmen and he could be available.

Just dunno if we're in the market for more D on the bubble to the NHL? Got a lot of that in the system as things stand.

#CenterStillTheBigFranchiseWeakness

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

Good thing Snow isn't in charge or he'd be moving him, a 1st, a 2nd, and Mirageas to Seattle to keep Mayfield and Komarov safe in the expansion draft.

I think it is even worse than that, Snow would make that trade to protect Cizikas (like he did CdH), then fail to extend the player (and I think CdH initially would have stayed if he received a fair offer and didn't feel slighted) or trade them for an upgrade elsewhere, then watch them walk away for nothing as a UFA. All while failing to use any of the cap money saved to improve the team as well.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I was watching Grabo highlights the other day. Limited player, but he skated well and was able to create offense. This lineup could use an infusion of European/Russian speed and skill.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
IF there's one thing that Trotz has proven, is that he doesn't need top talent Dmen to have one of the best defensive teams in the league.

I'm all in throwing big money at some forwards.

I'd still love to get Clutter's contract off the books.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
IF there's one thing that Trotz has proven, is that he doesn't need top talent Dmen to have one of the best defensive teams in the league.

I'm all in throwing big money at some forwards.

I'd still love to get Clutter's contract off the books.

The regular season is different than the playoffs. If you want to go far in the playoffs, you need a big minute eater like a Weber, Carlson, Letang, Keith, Doughty, Hedman, etc. Otherwise the talent mis-match will be your undoing. Leddy isn't shutting down Ovechkin or Crosby for 7 games.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I think Eberle is the most marketable UFA on the team. He's the most likely trade deadline subtraction, especially if Ho-Sang can make the grade the next 8 weeks.

One way or another, Lou has a plethora of guys to make big offers to next summer. He can decide now if our UFAs are among them. Then profit from them as he will.

Interesting that you mention Zboril. Boston has a glutony of young Dmen and he could be available.

Just dunno if we're in the market for more D on the bubble to the NHL? Got a lot of that in the system as things stand.

#CenterStillTheBigFranchiseWeakness

I think we need to explore what we can get for Eberle 50% retained. His contact is still an expensive one but we're not retaining any salary and have plenty of cap space.

In today's NHL, especially if you're a legit Cup contender, you use every cent of your cap space well. Eberle at $3M for the rest of the year is a bargain price and I gotta believe contenders close to the cap will really give us something extra if we eat half of his salary the rest of the year.

I just hope L&M aren't as cheap as Wang was and will be okay with paying extra to maximize our return.

Reactions: dood and PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think we need to explore what we can get for Eberle 50% retained. His contact is still an expensive one but we're not retaining any salary and have plenty of cap space.

In today's NHL, especially if you're a legit Cup contender, you use every cent of your cap space well. Eberle at $3M for the rest of the year is a bargain price and I gotta believe contenders close to the cap will really give us something extra if we eat half of his salary the rest of the year.

I just hope L&M aren't as cheap as Wang was and will be okay with paying extra to maximize our return.

By the time Eberle is traded (I think it's inevitable) and if we retain 50%, his prorated cap hit should be like $1.5M - probably even lower as I'm just estimating. At that price, we should be able to get a decent return.

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
By the time Eberle is traded (I think it's inevitable) and if we retain 50%, his prorated cap hit should be like $1.5M - probably even lower as I'm just estimating. At that price, we should be able to get a decent return.

Was going to post the same thing. Players' cap hits go down as the year progresses. That's why having $5 million in space at the beginning of the year ends up being a lot come the trade deadline.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
The regular season is different than the playoffs. If you want to go far in the playoffs, you need a big minute eater like a Weber, Carlson, Letang, Keith, Doughty, Hedman, etc. Otherwise the talent mis-match will be your undoing. Leddy isn't shutting down Ovechkin or Crosby for 7 games.

Think Trotz is trying to make Pulock that guy.

So far it's been up to the challenge.

Hopefully he'll get some playoff experience this year

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I seriously am down for moving Eberle. I want to keep Nelson and I know that's unpopular here but I like him under Trotz, I think he is doing the little things other coaches haven't been able to get him to do so if he reverts to the 3rd line center with another guy brought in I think he will still be successful.

On the flip, I don't want to fire sale, I just think Ho-Sang will help ease the loss and it's worth getting good futures for Eberle. I think you stop somewhere though and that to me is moving flipula for a third. It isn't worth it IMO, I'd rather gun for the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad