Rumor: Rumors & Proposals: You have a source, and you have a source, everyone has a source..

Status
Not open for further replies.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
You then role McDavid captain, Subban assistant and RNH assistant. Bring in a defenceman like Campbell in free agency and give him a letter too.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Subban is a #1 dman. If A team is willing to trade a #1 dman, no Edmonton player should be off the table except McDavid. Losing Hall would suck, but if he's what it takes, and the value of the deal overall is fair, Chia should pull the trigger.

except that subban is HIGHLY over-paid... yes he's a legit #1 dman, but he also costs you 2 million more than he should

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
You then role McDavid captain, Subban assistant and RNH assistant. Bring in a defenceman like Campbell in free agency and give him a letter too.

I keep hearing Campbell is going to sign in Chicago...how they fit him in I have no idea.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
except that subban is HIGHLY over-paid... yes he's a legit #1 dman, but he also costs you 2 million more than he should

Who cares? Where are we going to get a #1D otherwise? Nurse won't become Subban, we aren't going to sign someone akin to Subban...

If you can get Subban you do it. We have the worst ****ing D in the league and Subban would improve that dramatically.

Bauer83

Aug 27, 2004
The ask is rumoured to be Hall + Nurse + 4th overall.

Not even remotely worth it in my mind.

Ignoring salary, this seems like a fair deal. With salary being included, I think it is too rich to be honest. Hall needs to be given a similar treatment to how people speak of Hamonic's contract. Value contracts are worth their weight in gold.

I was thinking RNH + Nurse + 4th would make more sense, and that gives Montreal the center they are looking for.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I know I have lost a little respect around here for my rumours not coming to fruition. That being said, nothing has come to fruition.

Regardless, it sounds like the Oilers and Habs will not be able to make a deal for Subban after all. The asking price is just too steep to stomach. I expect the Oilers will loom elsewhere to fix their defense.
95% of the names the experts throw out there Dreger Nichols Friedman Kypreos never come to frution either. Why I am skeptical about any rumor

duul

Jun 21, 2010
There's no reason for any team to trade away a #1 defenceman. None at all. You need a combination of overpaying and GM brain damage to pull that off unless the defenceman asks for a trade.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Interesting tidbit...Dustin Nielson is in Buffalo covering the draft. He's doing the morning show with 1260 and he just said he was talking to someone last night there who is "in the know" and he said the Red Wings are interested in RNH.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Interesting tidbit...Dustin Nielson is in Buffalo covering the draft. He's doing the morning show with 1260 and he just said he was talking to someone last night there who is "in the know" and he said the Red Wings are interested in RNH.

I can't think of much that would be attractive from them.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Makes sense why Detroit would want RNH. But unless they find a way to trade for a defenseman overnight, I don't see any deal that makes sense.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
I know I have lost a little respect around here for my rumours not coming to fruition. That being said, nothing has come to fruition.

Regardless, it sounds like the Oilers and Habs will not be able to make a deal for Subban after all. The asking price is just too steep to stomach. I expect the Oilers will loom elsewhere to fix their defense.
Based on your record last couple days he will prob be an oiler by noon and for a steal like eberle and the 4th overall. Yay

Jun 9, 2011
Phew, I hope we stay out of the Subban sweepstakes if it costs us so many of our good pieces. Not that I don't love Subban, but I don't want to dismantle our team and future for one very high cost player.
Lucic can be signed anywhere else as well. No way I would take him for 6/7 years.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

That's about right when you're asking a GM about a player he doesn't want to move. Why would they trade Subban? I suppose that contract, buts that's why we don't want him either.

Offer Hall + 4th or Nurse + 4th and walk away. Bergeron can call back.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
True there are no hard facts, but theres things like:
  • not getting the captaincy or the King Clancy nomination (both voted on by teammates)
  • the local media running him out of town
  • the looming NTC about to kick in on a 9 mil contract

Also there were incidents in the past that give us an indication of what you got with Subban:

-He fought Gallagher in practice last year
-He's publicly had more than one altercation with Plekanec in the past
-He's also reportedly had scuffles with Desharnais, Mathieu Darche, Louis Leblanc and even an assistant coach in the past few years
-Gill called him out in the dressing room for throwing his gear all over the floor and disrespecting the training and equipment staff
-Also during Subban's contract dispute both Markov and Josh Georges made a couple of digs toward PK making others believe he wasn't well liked

These are just a few I can think of off the top of my head. I know a lot of Habs fans downplayed these incidents and perhaps they were blown a little out of proportion but the fact is these altercations actually happened and when there's this many incidents then there must be something to it.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

I think you over value the level of 'respect' people on these boards put on the conjecture posted by other anonymous Oilers fans.

Other than Speedy Turtle, I haven't seen one poster here whose rumours are worth anything more than just something to think about.

Bergevin is dreaming in Technicolor for his Subban ask. I would think Bergevin must be getting hammered in Montreal. Spoil the relationship with your team leader then face another lost season because you can't move him due to a ridiculously high ask. I wonder if Bergevin was in MacTs MBA class. :sarcasm:

These are just a few I can think of off the top of my head. I know a lot of Habs fans downplayed these incidents and perhaps they were blown a little out of proportion but the fact is these altercations actually happened and when there's this many incidents then there must be something to it.

I don't think it was all sunshine and lollipops being Messier's teammate either. Just sayin'...

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Makes sense why Detroit would want RNH. But unless they find a way to trade for a defenseman overnight, I don't see any deal that makes sense.

That's the case with all these so-called deals.

The best I'm hoping for is something like Eberle for Ryan Ellis.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Phew, I hope we stay out of the Subban sweepstakes if it costs us so many of our good pieces. Not that I don't love Subban, but I don't want to dismantle our team and future for one very high cost player.
Lucic can be signed anywhere else as well. No way I would take him for 6/7 years.

I mean.... 29th place last year, 28th place the year before...

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
On 1260 they just mentioned Detroit may have interest in RNH.

That made me a bit sick.

They have nothing on D...
Not every move we make has to address the defence. Assuming we manage to land a defenceman using other assets, maybe the goal is to have Draisaitl play 2nd line centre next year and turn RNH into a winger? They have some interesting players in Tatar, Abdelkader, and Nyquist along with a guy like Sheahan who would fit in well on the third line. Add in prospects like Mantha, Jurco, Athanasiou, and Svechnikov (who we were rumoured to love at the draft) and they at least have some interesting pieces.

I don't really see a deal that makes sense but it doesn't hurt to at least kick some tires on deals outside of upgrading the top 4 defence.

I don't really see

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
You accumulate assets so that you can move them from points of relative strength go address points of weakness.

I'd make the subban move at the price asked becasue he is a #1 guy of the type we desperately need. I like all of the pieces going the other way, #4, Hall, nurse and it would hurt losing them but if you want to get a #1 guy you have to pay the price.

I certainly don't want to trade any of those assets for anything other than a legit #1 guy.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg

I would be shocked if Chiarelli turned that down, even if it did not involve the 9th coming back. That is his best chance at a Norris-caliber defenseman. You literally could not ask for more from any blueliner coming here.

Lucic replaces Hall, so no net loss there. Nurse is behind Sekera and Klefbom long-term so that is not a real problem. It all comes down to 4 OA and how much you value that pick. Do you think a teenager helps the Oil win, or Subban? It is an obvious choice.

Sekera, Subban, Klefbom, maybe Demers is an elite defensive group. Not so with Nurse maybe in the AHL to start the season and Tkachuk/Dubois fighting for a spot themselves in camp.

Do it, Chiarelli.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad