Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: What's The Frequency (of offseason roster changes you'll make), Kenneth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Any chance Detroit moves Vrana? He seems a bit old for their rebuild.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yeah. Plus we already have skill; we need forwards to break the trap and create time and space for McDavid come playoff time.

That means big strong fast straight line guys that can create havoc on the cycle. Dylan Strome is... not that guy.

We already have that guy in Jesse. What we don't have is any skill.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Interesting article Yaremchuk had and then talked about yesterday with regards to buyouts.

What is the cost for us to trade Neal/Koskinen, retain 50% with the intention that the new team will buy them out?

Essentially buyout costs would be 1mil for 4 years and 750k for 2 years for both clubs involved.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Rumor was he'd be flipped eventually. If so it's a great target depending on how much he wants as hes a pending UFA.

Vrana would be a near-perfect fit (ideal fit would be someone who plays a more physical game, but he ticks all the other boxes). I'd move a fair bit to get him.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Vrana would be a near-perfect fit (ideal fit would be someone who plays a more physical game, but he ticks all the other boxes). I'd move a fair bit to get him.
Seems to fit the Yzerman style of player to a T. Can skate and think and create.
If you can get him he is the Jarri Kurri type--not as consistent though. Likely better than the guy i think we can get reasonably in trade.
Don't see Yzerman trading him and Holland should be gun shy now of dealing with him.
This might be the year Yzerman can be lured by a first.

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I would 100% pick Klefbom if I were Seattle and he were exposed. I don’t understand the willingness for some people to leave him exposed. He’s a top 2 defensemen when heathy and unless management has some very inside info that is not worth the risk giving up

And on the other side of that coin is Klefbom at his best was still injured a lot . He just missed a year of hockey , he was having trouble putting a shirt on . He was having trouble playing with his kids and his shoulder is full of arthritis . Surgery will only clean it up but it will come back . I can relate . My shoulder is shot . I can't raise my arm about my head . I alway have migraines from the same accident . It gave me a serve concussion after which I started taking seizures . Seizures are under control now but head hurts ever day and I wake up 3 to 6 times a night with shoulder pain which doesn't help my head . Point is I understand what Klefbom is going thru and screw hockey . His family and his health needs to come 1st . Oilers need to leave him exposed . Odds are if he does return it is short lived and he is a shell of his former self .

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Seems to fit the Yzerman style of player to a T. Can skate and think and create.
If you can get him he is the Jarri Kurri type--not as consistent though. Likely better than the guy i think we can get reasonably in trade.
Don't see Yzerman trading him and Holland should be gun shy now of dealing with him.
This might be the year Yzerman can be lured by a first.
Can't remember who it was and on what show it was, but if you talk with Yzerman and his targeting a certain one of your players they said don't move that player. If there is a player he's willing to give up, stay away.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I was drawn to the Panthers after reading this article. They're pretty tight to the cap as is.

The Hockey Writers Edmonton Oilers Could See Keith Yandle as This Year's Tyson Barrie 1 week ago

I won't lie. It's an interesting idea. But for me to even consider taking on Yandle's contract, it'd have to be dollar in/dollar out with one of Kassian or Neal going back the other way.

There's a significant Tippett connection there, so it's probably not out of the realm of possibility.

I gladly take Yandle in a salary swapping trade.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If Vrana is dealt you'd have to think it's for something big. Essentially 60 point player past couple years. Not sure what we'd have to offer that would make sense.

Seems like if Detroit were to move him he'd be for one of the big fish that are available I.E Eichel or Jones or whoever else might be available.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
And on the other side of that coin is Klefbom at his best was still injured a lot . He just missed a year of hockey , he was having trouble putting a shirt on . He was having trouble playing with his kids and his shoulder is full of arthritis . Surgery will only clean it up but it will come back . I can relate . My shoulder is shot . I can't raise my arm about my head . I alway have migraines from the same accident . It gave me a serve concussion after which I started taking seizures . Seizures are under control now but head hurts ever day and I wake up 3 to 6 times a night with shoulder pain which doesn't help my head . Point is I understand what Klefbom is going thru and screw hockey . His family and his health needs to come 1st . Oilers need to leave him exposed . Odds are if he does return it is short lived and he is a shell of his former self .
Klefbom was already a shell in 19-20. He hasn’t been great in a while honestly. Gets pretty overrated by our fan base. Nurse is significantly better than Klefbom ever was.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Klefbom was already a shell in 19-20. He hasn’t been great in a while honestly. Gets pretty overrated by our fan base. Nurse is significantly better than Klefbom ever was.
He might not have been a top pairing defender in 19-20, but at just over 4mil Klef had a lot of value.

Whether or not he can play to that 4mil contract now I don't know.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Possibly. Just putting it out there. Tippett did coach the guy for a number of years in AZ. Gretzky coached him, too. If Florida's moving on from him in the summer, odds are Yandle's agent is negotiating it.

Straight up Neal for Yandle trade would benefit the Panthers because Yandle's deal is an unattractive buyout.

Why?

You're taking on more salary for the next two years for a heavily declining player whose contract isn't buyout friendly. It makes much more sense to try to trade Neal at 50% retained or just buy it out altogether. Trading for a worse contract isn't the answer.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Kassian(NYR/PITS), Koskinen(Raanta deal/JVR deal/buyout), Bear(packaged with Neal/Jones deal) and Neal out(expansion or team with cap)

Saad(5)-McD-Palmieri(5)
Benson-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
McLeod-Kadri-Poolparty
Goodrow(2.5)-Khaira-Archibald

Nurse-Hamilton(7.5)/Jones/Barrie(5.5)
Murray(3.75)-Larsson(3.75)
Lagesson-Bouchard
Jones

Raanta/Mrazek
Smith

Flame away

Edit:swapped out JVR for a Saad+Palmeiri combo on McDavids wings. Basically comes down to JVR+Tatar or Saad+Palmeiri

Sweetpotato you must have some nice herbs on that potato . Saad at 5 million would be instantly re-signed by the Avs . Poolparty below Yamamoto ? Not to Mention Hamilton low cap hit . I don't mind the players you listed outside of Murray, just unrealistic cap hits and the line up is not set right

Saad McDavid Puljujarvi
Kadri Draisaitl Palmieri Can move Kadri over to C if we need a goal and move Draisaitl with McDavid
Goodrow McLeod Yamamoto
Benson Khaira Archibald

Reactions: Sweetpotato

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Again I have no memory as I listen to too much talk radio lately, but an interesting point was made on Klef.

If Klef was closer to retiring than playing would it not make more sense for there to be talk surrounding it? If he was going to play you can see the team asking to keep things quiet so it would be easier to hide him through the expansion draft. However, if you know he's out then it would make a lot of sense to have that leaked so that you can deal with Seattle easier.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If you really look at it though that was the only really good season he ever had.
That's not fair. Good as a top pairing d-man maybe, but this is Petry and countless other d-men all over again.

For what he was paid and what he did I don't know that there was ever a year you can say he wasn't worth his contract. Cut his 25 minutes a night in 19-20 and he's probably fine. Cut his 25min down and the Oilers are probably even worse in 19-20. Who was going to take an extra 5-6 minutes a night?

It's not the players fault that he was pencilled in as our top d-man for so many years. On top of that it's not like he was being paid to be a top d-man either.

Reactions: ujju2 and Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad