• McLeod Traded

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm pretty sure I read that his wife is from St. Louis.
He played his best years there, I suspect all things being equal, going "home" is probably the easy choice

Probably reading too much into it but wonder if Pederson getting 19 derails any chance of Toews coming here
I can't imagine it does or that the numbers can't still be changed

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Nurse, Ceci, and Skinner should be ashamed of the playoff performances they put up, RNH 5 on 5 also. Completely stinking up the place.
They won't be ashamed when they see the direct deposit. Upset sure. A guy like Drai or McDavid would be ashamed.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
That an idiotic statement and assessment. He's a fine player, he's going back to a place he played for 5 years and won a cup. Think for a sec, it will help ALOT.
Which part is idiotic? Have you seen us sign a player for significantly cheaper than their market value? Have you heard of anyone coming here taking a notable pay cut to offer their services in hopes of a Cup run or otherwise?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I personally think that a healthy Ceci is better than a bottom pairing defenseman. I think is is a solid #4 provided that its a real #4 and not the role he would have in Edmonton playing with either Ekholm or Bouchard. Though frankly if Bouchard took a huge step forward to become a true top pairing defender who actually worked with Nurse I could see Ceci being fine with Ekholm.

I fully agree with you that the main need for this team aside from consistent goal tending is an Ekholm level RHD.
Ceci is a fine mid pairing guy but he’s not the right fit with the way the top 4 is shaping up.

I’d like to see them be patient let the trade market develop and see how the guys they have start the season. Lets see some Nurse and Bouchard time together as well as Broberg in the lineup every night and I think he could be spending some time on the right side. At some point I’d like to see him getting some minutes along side Ekholm against stiffer comp to see how he handles himself playing a bit more against better with a steady partner, one would have to play on the right but they’re both capable. Can’t sleep on Desharnais either, I think he’s gonna have a good summer and come in and make a case for being in the lineup every night.

I think things are shaping up good for them to evaluate, be patient and get their guy like they did with Ekholm. They’ve got the assets, the ability to accrue cap and the means to create cap space with some potentially expendable players who likely have trade value.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Which part is idiotic? Have you seen us sign a player for significantly cheaper than their market value? Have you heard of anyone coming here taking a notable pay cut to offer their services in hopes of a Cup run or otherwise?
RNH, Hyman, Brown, Kane. An argument could be made that Ceci outperforms his cap hit.

Reactions: TB12

duul

Jun 21, 2010
RNH, Hyman, Brown, Kane. An argument could be made that Ceci outperforms his cap hit.
Hyman did not take less money to come here. Brown is getting 4 million dollars to play a year here, which is more than he would have got anywhere else. Kane came here in hopes of springboarding himself into a way bigger contract and upon realizing nobody would give one to him except us, he stuck around.

The only person who took a 'team friendly' deal and at the point in time he signed it, it was pretty standard for what he brings, is RNH. A guy who played his junior career and entire pro career here and is a lifer. One singular example I will concede.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I personally think that a healthy Ceci is better than a bottom pairing defenseman. I think is is a solid #4 provided that its a real #4 and not the role he would have in Edmonton playing with either Ekholm or Bouchard. Though frankly if Bouchard took a huge step forward to become a true top pairing defender who actually worked with Nurse I could see Ceci being fine with Ekholm.

I fully agree with you that the main need for this team aside from consistent goal tending is an Ekholm level RHD.
I agree wholeheartedly with both you and the enemy. But this is a deadline problem to solve more than likely if at all.
There is more than one way to play this. In the short term why don't we shore up 3rd pair RD with a quality vet which is far more affordable. If we get the right one--a stay at home bit of bruiser type-- he can share the position with Desi. And they can play some extra minutes maybe taking from Nurse/Ceci--this may help both Nurse and Ceci.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I agree wholeheartedly with both you and the enemy. But this is a deadline problem to solve more than likely if at all.
There is more than one way to play this. In the short term why don't we shore up 3rd pair RD with a quality vet which is far more affordable. If we get the right one--a stay at home bit of bruiser type-- he can share the position with Desi. And they can play some extra minutes maybe taking from Nurse/Ceci--this may help both Nurse and Ceci.
3C and RD are the teams two outstanding weaknesses, yet we find ourselves in a holding pattern to sign two RFAs of those exact positions. And it's going to take the majority if not all our remaining cap space to sign the two.

I say trade the two and sweeten up the pot with as many prospects and picks it takes to boost these two areas of weakness. Then add more to make arrangements so we can fit it all under the cap ceiling. Time to go all in.

Then we can get on about the business of winning Stanley Cups.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Hyman did not take less money to come here. Brown is getting 4 million dollars to play a year here, which is more than he would have got anywhere else. Kane came here in hopes of springboarding himself into a way bigger contract and upon realizing nobody would give one to him except us, he stuck around.

The only person who took a 'team friendly' deal and at the point in time he signed it, it was pretty standard for what he brings, is RNH. A guy who played his junior career and entire pro career here and is a lifer. One singular example I will concede.
Hyman has outperformed his cap hit, with the deals that we just saw handed out Brown absolutely could have gotten more money overall, he’s taking a huge risk signing the deal he did here. Kane stated that he was offered more money elsewhere and took less to stay in Edmonton.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Hyman has outperformed his cap hit, with the deals that we just saw handed out Brown absolutely could have gotten more money overall, he’s taking a huge risk signing the deal he did here. Kane stated that he was offered more money elsewhere and took less to stay in Edmonton.
I asked who took less money to play here and the only one you’ve said this might be true of is Kane. There is no risk from Brown. 4 million for a year of playing while coming off an injury is a Godsend that no other team would have come close to matching.

As for Kane, we let him explore the market and he saw no other team wanted to sign him long term. Only we did because nobody else wants to play here so we are forced to taking in the derelict and shunned. I don’t have a problem with it but when you’re the one org taking in players like Kassian, Kane, Virtanen, let’s be clear it is not because we are a longed for destination — it is that we are the only place who will give them a shot.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
3C and RD are the teams two outstanding weaknesses, yet we find ourselves in a holding pattern to sign two RFAs of those exact positions. And it's going to take the majority if not all our remaining cap space to sign the two.

I say trade the two and sweeten up the pot with as many prospects and picks it takes to boost these two areas of weakness. Then add more to make arrangements so we can fit it all under the cap ceiling. Time to go all in.

Then we can get on about the business of winning Stanley Cups.
Teams that go all-in don't trade away young, emerging top of the lineup pieces at diminished value. Trading away Bouchard would negatively impact the powerplay, the team's primary source of offense. That is where the Oilers are truly elite.

There's no late summer replacements for those players. You trade them at reduced value and you're scrambling to find a 3C and a puck-moving top four RD. You make the team significantly worse.

The 'go for it' narrative always devalues the players that we possess and suggest that we move significant futures to unnecessarily buy in weak markets. Rinse repeat.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I asked who took less money to play here and the only one you’ve said this might be true of is Kane. There is no risk from Brown. 4 million for a year of playing while coming off an injury is a Godsend that no other team would have come close to matching.

As for Kane, we let him explore the market and he saw no other team wanted to sign him long term. Only we did because nobody else wants to play here so we are forced to taking in the derelict and shunned. I don’t have a problem with it but when you’re the one org taking in players like Kassian, Kane, Virtanen, let’s be clear it is not because we are a longed for destination — it is that we are the only place who will give them a shot.
You asked who took less money to play here and I gave you 4 credible answers. Brown absolutely could have gotten more guaranteed money over 2-3 years. Coming off a substantial injury at his age he’s absolutely taking a big risk. And with Kane we let him explore the market and the 6+ he thought might be out there didn’t materialize but he said he had an offer for more money that he turned down and took less to stay in Edmonton.

Reactions: capazzo

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

There is absolutely risk from his perspective. There were teams willing to offer him term. Even at a lower AAV, he's potentially leaving significant money on the table if his game falls off for a variety of reasons.

The Oilers needed to add a significant player for less than a $1m on this year's cap. What are your alternatives?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Teams that go all-in don't trade away young, emerging top of the lineup pieces at diminished value. Trading away Bouchard would negatively impact the powerplay, the team's primary source of offense. That is where the Oilers are truly elite.

There's no late summer replacements for those players. You trade them at reduced value and you're scrambling to find a 3C and a puck-moving top four RD. You make the team significantly worse.

The 'go for it' narrative always devalues the players that we possess and suggest that we move significant futures to unnecessarily buy in weak markets. Rinse repeat.
McLeod isn't a top line piece, and contrary to popular belief, neither is Bouchard.

McLeod is a non-physical directionless energy player who plays a perimeter game while possessing a fantastic motor, not cut out to be the center on any line of a contender.

Bouchard is a very good breakout passer when given space and an excellent power play quarterback who lacks in all other aspects of being a defenseman.

Actually teams that are all in do make trades involving good young players, prospects, and picks for rock solid veterans that substantially upgrade the team and ready them for Stanley Cup contention. That's literally the definition of being all in.

Last edited:
Reactions: mkatcherin00

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

It’s a great way to shrink your window to win too.

Reactions: belair

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
It’s a great way to shrink your window to win too.
Not really. Upgrading the areas of weakness on the club making the team more rounded for the purpose of becoming champions is the only way the Edmonton Oilers ever will win the Stanley Cup.

They need to have the appropriate mix of players to make them a legitimate contender in our increasingly short window. How long do you believe this window is?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
McLeod isn't a top line piece, and contrary to popular belief, neither is Bouchard.

McLeod is a non-physical directionless energy player who plays a perimeter game while possessing a fantastic motor, not cut out to be the center on any line of a contender.

Bouchard is a very good breakout passer when given space and an excellent power play quarterback who lacks in all other aspects of being a defenseman.

Actually teams that are all in do make trades involving good young players, prospects, and picks for rock solid veterans that substantially upgrade the team and ready them for Stanley Cup contention. That's literally the definition of being all in.
Completely false. Bouchard makes tons of poise passes in his zone that lead to clean breakouts. One of his best abilities is to not panic under pressure and still make a play.

If you're gonna try and bash a player, atleast try to be honest about it

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
If they can't re-sign McLeod, they should try to coax Horcoff to come out of retirement. The dude was notoriously fit and had those famed Corsi numbers!

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Completely false. Bouchard makes tons of poise passes in his zone that lead to clean breakouts. One of his best abilities is to not panic under pressure and still make a play.

Re-read the text you just bolded in gigantic font, bobby.

I noticed you didn't try to obfuscate my actually criticism of Bouchard.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

Bouchard looked like a No.1 at times in the playoffs. If they could sign him long-term for 5 million or so, it would be a good deal. Of course, they don't have cap space. So they will sign him to 4 million for 1 year and then have to trade him or pay him 8 million in the offseason, after he scored more than PPG on the top power play unit.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Not really. Upgrading the areas of weakness on the club making the team more rounded for the purpose of becoming champions is the only way the Edmonton Oilers ever will win the Stanley Cup.

They need to have the appropriate mix of players to make them a legitimate contender in our increasingly short window. How long do you believe this window is?
Only dummies jettison early 20’s players who will be relatively inexpensive and have shown progression and have contributed in their roles.

This isn’t a video game, you don’t constantly turnover the roster chasing the perfect lineup, every team has holes and there isn’t some magical formula to build a contender. The whole are they or aren’t they a contender is stupid anyway. Was Boston a contender last year? What about Florida? Nobody knows what a contender looks like in July.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Only dummies jettison early 20’s players who will be relatively inexpensive and have shown progression and have contributed in their roles.

This isn’t a video game, you don’t constantly turnover the roster chasing the perfect lineup, every team has holes and there isn’t some magical formula to build a contender. The whole are they or aren’t they a contender is stupid anyway. Was Boston a contender last year? What about Florida? Nobody knows what a contender looks like in July.
What is the time frame of the Oiler's window?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest