• McLeod Traded

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
I finally had enough and made some changes to certain settings last week as the noise from a few posters was insane - it's soooo much better now (well there are a few exceptions but I'm trying to be tolerant, lol).

I'm all for being persistent but seeing the same thing over and over and over and over is so tiring.
I mean if you're gonna post the same thing over and over at least TRY to make it look different amirite?

Reactions: subnet and frag2

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Haha that game Nurse was suspended should've shown how much we actually needed him.

About 2.25million overpaid, but he is still a valuable Dman, and would be a prize at $7m AAV.
I mean- him and Ceci were destroyed in the Vegas series and I believe outscored 8-1 when they were on the ice…

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I mean- him and Ceci were destroyed in the Vegas series and I believe outscored 8-1 when they were on the ice…
The pair got killed but Nurse away from Ceci was fine. Even if Nurse was not with McDavid or if Nurse was facing Eichel.

A healthy Ceci is over his head playing against Vegas in the situations that pair had to play. An injured Ceci is way over his head. And Nurse is not the guy you want trying to do too much to cover for his partner.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He averaged 1 5v5 goal against a game in the playoffs.

The only guys that played 10+ games and managed that:

Nurse
Old balls Giordano
Jake McCabe
Vince Dunn
Esa Lindell (who got absolutely f***ing trashed haha)

Nurse, Ceci, and Skinner should be ashamed of the playoff performances they put up, RNH 5 on 5 also. Completely stinking up the place.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
guessing we won’t see the depth guy signed until Bouchard is signed but we won’t see Bouchard signed till McLeod is signed. Just a waiting game.
They should sign Bouchard first and then deal with McLeod. If he gets $2M in arbitration you may have to move him if you don't have space. But Bouchard is definitely the more important contract.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The pair got killed but Nurse away from Ceci was fine. Even if Nurse was not with McDavid or if Nurse was facing Eichel.

A healthy Ceci is over his head playing against Vegas in the situations that pair had to play. An injured Ceci is way over his head. And Nurse is not the guy you want trying to do too much to cover for his partner.
Nurse should be the guy that elevates his partner. That pairing is a trainwreck. Nurse seemed to do fine with Bear, but obviously that's not going to happen.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They should sign Bouchard first and then deal with McLeod. If he gets $2M in arbitration you may have to move him if you don't have space. But Bouchard is definitely the more important contract.

Are you even allowed to trade a player after an arbitration ruling?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Nurse should be the guy that elevates his partner. That pairing is a trainwreck. Nurse seemed to do fine with Bear, but obviously that's not going to happen.
That is one of Nurse's big issue I believe. He is not the guy to elevate or cover for his partner. I think that he either needs a guy with some true puck skills to allow him to just stay at home or a guy like Ekholm who can not only play but is a rock for his partner, allowing Nurse to use his athleticism.

Are you even allowed to trade a player after an arbitration ruling?
Yes. You can't trade him after an offer sheet is matched but there is no restriction following an arbitration hearing.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Me every time I see Broberg Speed post concerning Bouchard or McLeod:

the-simpsons-bart-simpson.gif

At first i thought he was just targeting those players on a whyme, but it's obvouis he really dislikes them.
He's definitely passionate about whyming. There's nothing wrong with having several accounts on how to build a whyming team

Reactions: TB12

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Despite his flaws, the moment the Oilers trade Darnell Nurse, they will wish they had Darnell Nurse.
Not only that but trading Nurse will piss off McDavid. If people are worried about McDavid leaving after his contract expires, wait until you see how he reacts after we trade Nurse.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I brought this up on the Got Yer Back Podcast. Is the solution as simple as just trading Brett Kulak? I know they like him and its a tough move but allows you to hit mutiple birds with one stone.

1. You give Broberg the icetime that he needs as a bottom pairing defenceman.
2. It opens up money so that you can sign Bouchard and McLeod to the deals that they need and maybe even give them some extra term.
3. Have money leftover to accrue cap space and ice a 22 man roster which is needed for TDL acquisitions.
4. You get an asset back from moving Kulak - he has value.
This team's d-corp is not good enough as it is. They can't afford to carve out a good quality, fairly affordable veteran d who has deep playoff experience, ability to move up in line-up for short durations, and can play either side. Kulak is not a cap dump. If anything, you try to move a surplus winger like Foegele and give replacement young, cheaper options, Holloway or Lavoie, more runway within bottom six support roles.

Trialing a third pair of Kulak and Broberg is a do-able opening day experiment with Desharnais in the mix. Even still this team is a top four RD away from being a legitimate Cup level blue line imo.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Dramatic trades and changes.

Trade with SJ

TO SJ: Bouchard, Ceci, Campbell, 2025 1st and Broberg

TO EDM: Karlsson ($4.5M retained), Kahkonen and Duclair

Then a trade with Vegas (yeah I know)

To VGS: Kahkonen(50% retainted= $1.375), Savoie and 2024 2nd

To EDM: Logan Thompson

Re-up McLeod long term 5years, imo. Sign Matt Dumba 1yr $1.5M and sign Tomas Nosek 1yr $1M, and Simon Benoit, 1yr $850K

Then it looks like

Kane - McDavid - Brown
Duclair - Draisaitl - Hyman
Nuge - McLeod - Foegele
Janmark - Nosek - Ryan
Holloway, Pederson

Nurse - Karlsson
Ekholm - Dumba
Kulak - Desharnais
Benoit

Skinner
Thompson

Just a little different.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Not only that but trading Nurse will piss off McDavid. If people are worried about McDavid leaving after his contract expires, wait until you see how he reacts after we trade Nurse.
If he won a Stanley Cup I'm sure he'd get over it.

Hockey is a business and the business is winning, not making friends.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
That is one of Nurse's big issue I believe. He is not the guy to elevate or cover for his partner. I think that he either needs a guy with some true puck skills to allow him to just stay at home or a guy like Ekholm who can not only play but is a rock for his partner, allowing Nurse to use his athleticism.

Yes. You can't trade him after an offer sheet is matched but there is no restriction following an arbitration hearing.
Agreed. Nurse needs a stabilizing partner who plays a highly consistent, structured, disciplined and smart game. Someone who can absorb the overly aggressive/impulsive tendencies of Nurse to chase play outside of high danger scoring areas.

There's such great utility in Nurse's game. Unfortunately it can tend to unravel at times in critical moments with his aggressive instinct to challenge in his defending which leaves his team (and partner) vulnerable within high danger ice. The coverage support breaks down giving up high quality scoring opportunities against pretty pedestrian league goaltending.

Oilers coaching though also needs to change its own zone defending system to better align with this team's core strength of an elite attacking offensive forward group. Flush the zone defense and simplify to have the d-corp focus on more structured defending home plate.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This team's d-corp is not good enough as it is. They can't afford to carve out a good quality, fairly affordable veteran d who has deep playoff experience, ability to move up in line-up for short durations, and can play either side. Kulak is not a cap dump. If anything, you try to move a surplus winger like Foegele and give replacement young, cheaper options, Holloway or Lavoie, more runway within bottom six support roles.

Trialing a third pair of Kulak and Broberg is a do-able opening day experiment with Desharnais in the mix. Even still this team is a top four RD away from being a legitimate Cup level blue line imo.

Agree. Given their current cap issues and barring something very creative from the Oilers brain trust I anticipate them filling that hole at or near the TDL unless Broberg completely breaks out or a huge rebound season from Ceci.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese