Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
McLeod has 3-6-9 boxcars with -6 in 32 playoff games with 10 pim
Newhook has 1-6-7 boxcars wth -3 in 27 playoff games with 10 pim

Those stats are pretty close as a comparison... and ages are ~16 months apart.

Regular season stats comparisons in their careers so far:

Newhook

159 gp
27 goals
39 assists
66 pts
+16 plus/minus
36 pim
.42 pts/game overall
23 ev goals
58 ev points
4 ppg
8 pppts
8 gwg
237 shots
11.4 sh%
38.6% faceoff pct
2.82 hits/60
1.72 blocks/60
0.66 goals/60 at 5v5
1.76 pts/60 at 5v5
13:46 total toi/game
12:21 ev toi/game
1:22 pp toi/game
0:04 sh toi/game

McLeod:

138 gp
20 goals
25 assists
45 pts
0 plus/minus
30 pim
0.33 pts/game overall
16 ev goals
37 ev points
2 ppg
5 pppts
2 shg
3 shpts
1 gwg
163 shots
12.3 sh%
47.9% faceoff pct
2.31 hits/60
1.62 blocks/60
0.64 goals/60 at 5v5
1.48 pts/60 at 5v5
13:21 total toi/game
11:12 ev toi/game
0:50 pp toi/game
1:20 sh toi/game

I don't think McLeod is coming in under $2 million from an arbitrator... in fact it's very possible he comes in at closer to $2.5 from an arbitrator.

I think if Holland negotiates with him and signs him for $2.1 million that's about as low as possible for this type of player.

Kostin as a winger with no shorthanded toi at all (and a lower career pts/game) got $2 million so that's your absolute basement level starting point.

I'd say an arbitrator would end up somewhere between $2.9 million on the high end and $2 million on the low end... so splitting that difference... $2.45 million for McLeod is about right.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I wonder if JP would come back to Edmonton on a minimum deal?

Fingers crossed!

E4DC5D07-0857-4595-8316-7DFA757DEB8D.gif

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
26 pts in 28 playoff games is where Bouchard has a case for more money than Byram/Miller.

When you produce in games that matter the most... that's a difference maker when it comes to contracts as well.
Maybe, but there’s no denying Bouchard benefitted from playing with McDrai on PP1. How many of his points were on the the PP?

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
26 pts in 28 playoff games is where Bouchard has a case for more money than Byram/Miller.

When you produce in games that matter the most... that's a difference maker when it comes to contracts as well.

The only issue with that is that 15 of his 17 playoff points this year came on the powerplay.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
One: McLeod took a crazy team friendly deal last year. He did us a solid, and had a solid season. He deserves a raise. I'm sick of people bitching about McLeod when he took such a haircut it was damned near a scalping.

Two: Reid Schaefer was as borderline a first rounder as you could ask for and he had a pretty pedestrian draft+1 season. I'd still do that trade in a hot second today.
Three: McLeod isn't very good at center, I doubt he ever will be. He's a winger taking faceoffs. The Oilers won't win a cup with him at that crucial position IMO.

Why overpay a player who doesn't possess the essential qualities needed for a Stanley Cup caliber club to be successful in the postseason?
U have to realize u r dealing with @duul
Most pessimistic view of the Oilers going. The trade for Ekholm was one of the best Oilers trades in a long time. Great contract, great player, great attitude , and it’s great we obtained him

On another note, I see Benson signed with Henderson.

Maybe, but there’s no denying Bouchard benefitted from playing with McDrai on PP1. How many of his points were on the the PP?
In the playoffs he had 2 even strength points. In the regular season he had 26 even strength points.

Last edited by a moderator:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Based on what? Have you seen Miller's numbers?
Yes and I have watched him play. Miller plays on average 3 more minutes 5v5 than Bouchard a game, plays 35% of his minutes against elites and has all positive numbers. Bouchard plays only 20% of his time against elites with recent numbers.

Miller is a better non Pp player.

Arbitrators are dinosaurs who basically only look at points and +/-.

It doesn't really matter where he got the points or who with to them.
Miller was a +12 to Bouchards +6 so that helps lower Bouchard.

Reactions: McDoused

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yes and I have watched him play. Miller plays on average 3 more minutes 5v5 than Bouchard a game, plays 35% of his minutes against elites and has all positive numbers. Bouchard plays only 20% of his time against elites with recent numbers.

Miller is a better non Pp player.

Miller was a +12 to Bouchards +6 so that helps lower Bouchard.
Based on this contract and Biram, Bouchard should come in at around 2 yrs $3.25M per

Reactions: CycloneSweep

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Three: McLeod isn't very good at center, I doubt he ever will be. He's a winger taking faceoffs. The Oilers won't win a cup with him at that crucial position IMO.

Why overpay a player who doesn't possess the essential qualities needed for a Stanley Cup caliber club to be successful in the postseason?

Without posters like @duul this message board is a menagerie of circle jerkers.

In the playoffs he had 2 even strength points. In the regular season he had 26 even strength points.
Based on what? he's a good penalty killer, he's good positionally, his underlying numbers are very strong and his production is bang on for a third line C. I know he doesn't meeting your banging bodies fetish, but he's completely fine and getting better.

Heck even as far as faceoffs go, he was at 48.2% last year and has gotten better every year. Of 222 listed C's that played over 20 games, he was tied for 112th in faceoff %.

That win % was better than Bjugstad managed this year, for what that's worth.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

Without posters like @duul this message board is a menagerie of circle jerkers.

Don’t forget the fanboys.

We’re all circle jerking fanboys apparently. Just a matter of who eats the fruit.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
A late first and an even later 1st for what is going to end up being our best Dman for the next 3 years is a steal. By the time any of those picks potentially make an impact in the NHL, Mcdavid will be 30+.

People also need to start evaluating 1st rounders after about the 15th pick different than other 1st rounders. Rarely do you get more than 2-3 players from pick 15-32 that end up being anything more than replacement level. Gets even more stark when you look at pick 20-32.

It doesn’t mean you just throw those picks away, but to suggest a contending team shouldn’t trade those picks for indisputable upgrades is just stupid and there’s no other way to describe it.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Based on what? he's a good penalty killer, he's good positionally, his underlying numbers are very strong and his production is bang on for a third line C. I know he doesn't meeting your banging bodies fetish, but he's completely fine and getting better.

Heck even as far as faceoffs go, he was at 48.2% last year and has gotten better every year. Of 222 listed C's that played over 20 games, he was tied for 112th in faceoff %.

That win % was better than Bjugstad managed this year, for what that's worth.
I fail to fathom how anyone who has observed the game of hockey for many years identifies McLeod as a strong positional center.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
This is good news for the Oilers. They had almost identical stats this season.

Miller 79GP 9G 34A 43P
Bouchard 82GP 8G 32A 40P

Bouchard had 10 more PPP than Miller.
Right now Miller is better defensively and Bouchard is better offensively but I think this is a good road map for a deal. If they had the space going an extra year for a little more money would be worth consideration. 3 years @ $4.5M vs 2 years at $3.875M allows more time for the cap to go up. It also gives the team a little more flexibility the year Leon's deal is up. I suspect that the bump in McDavid's cap will be less than the one for Leon.

I know they like Foegele but they have other options on the LW and if they could move him it would provide enough flexibility to add some dollars for Bouchard and also save some cap to offset the Brown bonus while giving them room to make a bigger move at the deadline.

A guy I'd have time for is Paul Stastny. He could be a cheap #3C.

Start the year with a 21 man roster and go 11-7 roughly 1/2 the games for the first month. With
Bouchard 3 x$4.5M
McLeod 2 x $1.8M
Stastny 2 x $950k

this line-up has $1.875M in cap space

Kane McDavid Hyman
Nuge Draisaitl Brown
Janmark Stastny Ryan
Holloway McLeod

Lavoie---pb

Nurse Ceci
Ekholm Bouchard
Broberg/Kulak Kulak/Desharnais
Desharnais

On days where you go 12-6

Kane McDavid Hyman
Nuge Draisaitl Lavoie
Janmark Stastny Brown
Holloway McLeod Ryan

Lavoie---pb

Nurse Ceci
Ekholm Bouchard
Broberg Kulak

Desharnais pb

After a month you can add a player from the AHL. That saves you about $130K on the cap. By strategic moves through the season you could bump this up to $200-300K. At the deadline you might be able to add $3M on the cap and still have about $1M to reduce the bonus hit next year.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Oilers have $5.62 million in cap space so barring any moves... you've got to chop that up between McLeod and Bouchard.

$3.5 million for Bouchard and $2.12 million for McLeod. That's pretty much how I see it as of right now.

Is Holland done though in terms of trades? Is this the final roster until training camp once Bouchard/McLeod are signed?

Realistically probably only Foegele, Ceci and Kulak are the only 3 possible movable pieces.

Everyone else either is cemented on the roster or make too little in terms of cap to matter if they are moved anyway.

I don't think they will move Foegele... seems to be a favourite with McDavid.

Kulak and Ceci at this stage aren't likely to be replaced with "better" dmen for their cap hits... what team is willing to move a great top 4 dman at this part of the season (hasn't even started) for one of Ceci/Kulak plus picks/prospect? Maybe there's a team out there but I doubt it.

Is Erik Karlsson still on the Oilers radar? Was he ever really on their radar to begin with?

Campbell/Skinner are the goalie pair going forward. Does Holland have the guts to move one of them? What goalie (that's available) is guaranteed to be better than Campbell/Skinner?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

Does Miller play on the best powerplay ever with McDavid, Drai, etc.?

That has an effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad