Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Trade Deadline Has Come & Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Gesus fack Seattle Vegas and LA just keep winning, and here we are donating points to other teams by playing campbell

They are all on 3 or 4 game winning streaks. We aren't catching any of them, so just have to hope we grab the wild card spot that doesn't put us in the central division. But it isn't clear which of those wild card spots will do that, so its a total crap shoot really. Sucks, because I think the road through the pacific is SUBSTANTIALLY easier than the central. Just have to hope we get lucky I guess.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
We'd save 3.5, 3.8, 2.7, and 2.3 for the last 4 years.

Be on the hook for 1.5 till 2030.
Thanks! I understand it now.

jack campbel.png

Reactions: McDoused

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
We'd save 3.5, 3.8, 2.7, and 2.3 for the last 4 years.

Be on the hook for 1.5 till 2030.
Better off retaining 1.5-2 mill for the remaining 4 years and trade him. Same shit atleast we don't have dead cap space when his contract would expire

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Better off retaining 1.5-2 mill for the remaining 4 years and trade him. Same shit atleast we don't have dead cap space when his contract would expire

Who the hell would trade for him though? We'd have to give up a 1st rounder, at least, in such a deal. I'd rather just eat some salary cap and buy him out.

All a moo point though, as Holland isn't going to trade him or buy him out this offseason. They will give him one more year to "figure it out" before moving on from the player, I have no doubts about it. With how strange goalies are from year to year, it might even be a perfectly acceptable solution.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Who the hell would trade for him though? We'd have to give up a 1st rounder, at least, in such a deal. I'd rather just eat some salary cap and buy him out.

All a moo point though, as Holland isn't going to trade him or buy him out this offseason. They will give him one more year to "figure it out" before moving on from the player, I have no doubts about it. With how strange goalies are from year to year, it might even be a perfectly acceptable solution.
Maybe a 2nd at most as a sweetener. You can tell he has the athleticism to be a solid goalie. But his mental game is killing him. He was highly touted out if junior and was a first round pick which is big for goalies, I believe he helped the USA world juniors capture bronze as well

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Smith was a leader and a battler. When he had a bad game he went to the coach and demanded the next game to recover, not sit a corner and sulk. Smith was yelling and screaming and the D to move them around and give orders. Campbell doesn't do this at all. plays small, out of position and just isn't that technical, hes never lined up for a shot, his glove is point down to the ice in his stance and not open and ready for a shot. I think he is too timid.

I was a big Smith fan, he was the best goalie we've had since Roloson.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Maybe a 2nd at most as a sweetener. You can tell he has the athleticism to be a solid goalie. But his mental game is killing him. He was highly touted out if junior and was a first round pick which is big for goalies, I believe he helped the USA world juniors capture bronze as well
It would cost way more than a 2nd. If the cap goes up like it should dependent on the regional tv issue on the states 1.5M of dead cap is nothing. I would much rather use the 1st+2nd etc to get a very very good player than move Campbell vs buy him out.

Ekholm cost is probably 2 1sts equivalents we could likely get a similarly valuable player or close to for the asset cost to move Campbell

Navx94

Jan 17, 2019
We play LAK twice and have ducks/sharks/ducks/coyotes around those games. Just need to survive this east coast trip and we’ll be fine.

Reactions: MessierII

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

There are other goalies having really bad seasons. It is possible they could make a swap.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
No one is swapping for Campbell unless they are sending an even more overpaid goalie here which isn’t the point

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
When was the last time a team (projected) had:
One 60 goal scorer
One 50 goal scorer
Two 30 goal scorers and if Kane, at his full season projected stats, three 30 goal scorers
And possibly three 100 point players?
Pittsburgh 96? Rangers probably had some year as well?
I bet Boston had some year?

Reactions: ohheyhemsky

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
They would have to win all 4 of the games they have in hand to move ahead of us. Possible I suppose, but not likely. Ideally we would catch Seattle or LA, but its not looking all that likely to happen.
Don't think they'll catch us but their next 6 opponents are VAN, ARI LA,ANA,DET, CHI...

And now that they have loaded up with Barrie, Tyson anything is possible

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Almost that time of year again when NCAA free agents start signing.

with our lack of picks coming up, this will be an area the amateur scouts will have to be hitting hard.

I'd be surprised if we weren't scouring the NCAA for RD and RW options.

Reactions: Macblender

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Almost that time of year again when NCAA free agents start signing.

This is one way to replace picks you trade.

Livingstone is a BC boy. A two-way RHD with size should be someone the Oilers look at hard. I think they can make a compelling case that with Kesselring no longer on the team he could be pretty high up on the depth chart fairly quickly. Seems he is looking at the Canucks, but hopefully he might realize that they are going nowhere fast.

Last edited:

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Would love to see us aggressively pursue some high upside college UFA signings and Euro UFAs with our lack of picks. It's been a while since we've had a hit. Last time we grabbed a full time NHLer was 2016 with Drake Caggiula and Matt Benning. If we can even grab ourselves a good bottom 6 forward/bottom pair dman for depth that'd be huge. Those two were pretty much like getting a free 2nd/3rd round draft pick.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Here’s a question.

If the Flames kick start a rebuild or retool in the summer, do you trade for Weegar?

Nope.

He’s a good d-man, but has been junk in the playoffs, including the lazy egregious error behind the net to help ensure the sweep and the strip club shenanigans. Also not a fan of trading with the Flames for various reasons

Also, I don’t see them trading him as ownership is too cheap and delusional to admit there will be some lean years for fans during a rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad