Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Trade Deadline Has Come & Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
That 1.5 number will be worth less against the cap as time goes on and the cap goes up. Having an extra 1M per year over the next two years is more important IMO than having 1.5M in cap space 6 years from now.

Only way a trade makes sense is if you are getting a half decent goalie back and minimal retention. But what assets do we have to add to move Campbell?
People that have been advocating for buyouts are the same people that are complaining about buyouts affecting our competitiveness.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Be better to retain say 1.5 - 2 million on Campbell for 4 years in a trade then buying him out and have the extra year if dead cap space several years after the fact. It's obvious he isn't an echl caliber goaltender let alone an NHL one at 5 million

Has probably cost us as kuch as 20 points on the season from his poor play. That's insane

Even a more conservative amount, the Oilers would have a healthy lead on first in the division right now. Like I said last night, maybe they could have gotten a team just starting a rebuild to pay up for his tank commander services

Reactions: Nostradumbass

Macblender

May 5, 2014
The issue is that if the cap goes up the buyout is probably a better option since we can use the first for an actual quality player like a saaros etc if Nashville goes that route or Karlsson. Rather than pay the significant assets to move him those could go to a great player

Reactions: 5 14 6 1 and TB12

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yeah I am not saying this year. If we end up with a high viewership playoffs we could very well have the debt be paid off no? Like TO, Boston, NYR going far.

The regional sports I though were potentially getting absorbed by like ESPN + and or MSG+ where they are bundling teams? Maybe I read that wrong but like MSG+ is going to do rangers, islanders, buffalo, and I think two other teams?

I think the sun belt teams are in trouble. I heard about 8-10 teams. But it remains to be seen if the revenue will increase to the point of paying the debt. I hope so as it will help.

Reactions: Macblender

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
The Oilers will have to figure out the goaltending and defensive situations for sure, especially if they fall short early in the playoffs. Adding a few more aggressive forwards would be nice too!

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Well what should happen will not be what happens with this team in the offseason. It will simply be the same recycled schlock.

If the Oilers do not make the final then they should clean house. Instead it will be another off season of people wanting the oilers to fix the same positions that have needed fixing the last 10 years.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
As for Campbell, IMO you give him the first 20ish games of next season to see if he can rebound. Between now and then I wouldn't be opposed to sending him down for a few weeks to get a lot of starts and try to get his confidence in the right place. It happened to Matt Murray last season, nothing wrong with giving Pickard a start or 2 as a reward while Jack works on his game in Bako. Hell, maybe Rodrigue will see something that Schwartz isn't?

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
As for Campbell, IMO you give him the first 20ish games of next season to see if he can rebound. Between now and then I wouldn't be opposed to sending him down for a few weeks to get a lot of starts and try to get his confidence in the right place. It happened to Matt Murray last season, nothing wrong with giving Pickard a start or 2 as a reward while Jack works on his game in Bako. Hell, maybe Rodrigue will see something that Schwartz isn't?
If Campbell doesn't sort his game out the rest of this year. You try and trade him, when you can't, you buy him out.

It sucks to have dead cap, but he's like just over $1.5M for like 7 years, so a manageable number

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
I was listening to an interview of Bill Scott on Oilers+ the other day and he said there is a chance the cap is in the area of 86mil next season. He said the owners are owed a certain amount from the players which is being paid back with escrow and it is tracking well to be paid off before the end of the season. If this happens he said the cap would probably go up quite a bit and mentioned the higher figure. Fingers crossed...

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Campbell doesn't sort his game out the rest of this year. You try and trade him, when you can't, you buy him out.

It sucks to have dead cap, but he's like just over $1.5M for like 7 years, so a manageable number
This is why you don't make hasty decisions with goalies.

Only the elite play lights out every season.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This is why you don't make hasty decisions with goalies.

Only the elite play lights out every season.
No, you do, because he's not a kid and this team isn't developing. It's trying to contend, so having $5M of unplayable goaltending cannot help

Bryan we aren't talking an elite level, just consistent and league average, that's the ask. If Campbell can't do that he can't be here.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
No, just no. Exchanging one useless player for another doesn't help.
I have more faith in Binnington bouncing back than Campbell. Last season was an outlier for Campbell in a good way, this season is an outlier for Binnington in a bad way. Looking at Binnington's stats in the playoffs I really can not understand how St. Louis lost last year. A .949 SV% and 1.72GAA, insane.

Last edited:
Reactions: yakcity1064

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I have more faith in Binnington bouncing back than Campbell. Last season was an outlier for Campbell in a good way, this season is an outlier for Binnington in a bad way. Looking at Binnington's stats in the playoffs I really can not understand how St. Louis lost last year. A .949 SV% a 1.72GAA, insane.
They lost because he got hurt. He was standing on his head.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I have more faith in Binnington bouncing back than Campbell. Last season was an outlier for Campbell in a good way, this season is an outlier for Binnington in a bad way. Looking at Binnington's stats in the playoffs I really can not understand how St. Louis lost last year. A .949 SV% a 1.72GAA, insane.
They won't trade binnington because they need a goalie and parayko is just a hard no.

It's a very silly proposal, even for you

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Template for next year:

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
Kane - Draisaitl - Yamamoto/X
Holloway - McLeod - Kostin
Janmark/X - Bjugstad/X - Ryan/X

Nurse - X
Ekholm - Bouchard
Broberg - Ceci/Kulak
Desharnais

Skinner
Campbell

Decisions up front: Who to bring back for 4th line (Bjugstad, Ryan, Janmark, Foegele), whether to trade or keep Yamamoto.
Decisions on defense: Whether to trade Kulak, Ceci or both and who to add for 1RD.
Decision in net: Whether to buy out, retain & trade, or keep Campbell.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1 and DaGap

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

We won't be able to trade him. I don't see us buying him out either. Holland did a smart thing with that Skinner extension. Total goalie spending is still manageable even if Campbell is a negative asset.

I'd say the only way a buy out Campbell is if Skinner takes a step backwards. Also maybe it depends on opportunity, like if a slam dunk #1 becomes available

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Looking ahead to the offseason, the Oilers are going to have to make some tough decisions before they can even think about adding. A projected $9.5m of cap space taking cap rise into account with pretty much the entire bottom 6 and Bouchard needing new contracts.
I'd assume that Bouchard, Kostin and McLeod alone will account for most of the cap space with several bottom 6 spots needing to be filled out still. Gonna be tough to improve the team tbh. The Nurse and Campell contracts are absolute cap cripplers, destructive for Cup chances tbh.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Looking ahead to the offseason, the Oilers are going to have to make some tough decisions before they can even think about adding. A projected $9.5m of cap space taking cap rise into account with pretty much the entire bottom 6 and Bouchard needing new contracts.
I'd assume that Bouchard, Kostin and McLeod alone will account for most of the cap space with several bottom 6 spots needing to be filled out still. Gonna be tough to improve the team tbh. The Nurse and Campell contracts are absolute cap cripplers, destructive for Cup chances tbh.
We could also flip Yama's rights and bring in Bourgault. There's 3 million. I don't see us really needing to improve the team much. If we decide we need a big swing on defense we can push to move out mid cap players like Kulak, Ceci or Foegele

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
We could also flip Yama's rights and bring in Bourgault. There's 3 million. I don't see us really needing to improve the team much. If we decide we need a big swing on defense we can push to move out mid cap players like Kulak, Ceci or Foegele

Agree, but hope they keep Kulak around if he keeps up his level of play. Nice to have a versatile two way guy. A bit much to spend on a bottom pairing but overall he’s been more consistent than Ceci and is the cheaper of the two. Foegele (despite recent good play) and Ceci seem like obvious players to move out for cap. (Yamamoto too, of course, assuming he doesn’t continue to like like DRY version the rest of the season).

Reactions: MinisterOfSinister

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
No, you do, because he's not a kid and this team isn't developing. It's trying to contend, so having $5M of unplayable goaltending cannot help

Bryan we aren't talking an elite level, just consistent and league average, that's the ask. If Campbell can't do that he can't be here.
Wrong, unless you can grab an elite goalie, you hope that he bounces back like Talbot and Smith did. Buying him out or trading a bunch of sweeteners just to see him return to a 0.910 goalie would be piss poor especially if the next guy bombs.

Reactions: OilerMcLord

Oil53

Jun 4, 2018
Philip,Bailey &/or Lavoie look like possible additions for bottom six.
All have size and can skate,Lavoie the highest potential for goal production

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Agree, but hope they keep Kulak around if he keeps up his level of play. Nice to have a versatile two way guy. A bit much to spend on a bottom pairing but overall he’s been more consistent than Ceci and is the cheaper of the two. Foegele (despite recent good play) and Ceci seem like obvious players to move out for cap. (Yamamoto too, of course, assuming he doesn’t continue to like like DRY version the rest of the season).
I think Ceci at his best has been able to handle a bit tougher comp than Kulak, and he’s right handed. But yeah no real complaints if they decide to go with one guy vs another. It’s clear Nurse needs an upgrade though.

I think you just have to pray Campbell bounces back behind a better defense corps next year.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Event closes