Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Corpse of the '22-23 Season Isn't Even Cold Yet But...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
A Campbell-Gibson swap would make my offseason

Gibson has rough stats but that's buy low if I ever saw it. He can't carry a team that bad.
but would the ducks do it? and we take on 1.4 more in cap hit. Gibson has shown he can run the show when healthy. Campbell, he has had stretches and that is it

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Anaheim isnt acquiring a soon to be UFA. Also Hellebuyck wants to win.

I think Gibson makes to most sense in Pittsburgh. Hes from there and it's an American team that needs a starter with Jarry unlikely to sign.
I don't think it'll happen but why wouldn't they? They'd give their young guys a strong support back there for part of the year then they'd flip him at the deadline for futures. Clean slate.

I'm not certain that I see Winnipeg as an option for Gibson though. They're heading into a pretty significant retool and it's doubtful that they'll be a popular destination for big name players.

I kind of like Jarry as a fit for Anaheim actually. Running with Dostal, the two of them could probably form a solid tandem.

Reactions: McDoused

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I feel like Broberg needs to be on the table to make any meaningful upgrades. I just don't think Holland wants to trade him.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I feel like Broberg needs to be on the table to make any meaningful upgrades. I just don't think Holland wants to trade him.
Broberg should only be on the table if we are adding to him to bring in a guy young enough, who will still be an impact player when Leon and Connor need to re-sign.

Not saying the Islanders would ever trade him, so I'm only using this as an example. Say Dobson wanted out. I would do Broberg ++ to het that done. Upgrades the team, and someone who can be an impact player long term.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Make Hellebuyck the number 1 priority. Not everyday a goalie like this in his prime is available to add to a team with 2 generational forwards. You want to win some cups. You add Hellebuyck. Simple as that.

Make defense the number 2 priority

Number 3, Get rid of playoff floaters and bring in some grit and cup experience.
Yep, I agree if they're going to upgrade anywhere it's got to be in the net.

The Avs had Sakic and Foresburg...but had Jocelyn Thibeault and Stefan Fiset in net. They get Roy, who unexpectedly become available and win the cup. They were perennial cup favorites afterwards with him.

I see the Oilers as a similar style team as those Avs teams. They're not going anywhere near the finals without goaltending.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yep, I agree if they're going to upgrade anywhere it's got to be in the net.

The Avs had Sakic and Foresburg...but had Jocelyn Thibeault and Stefan Fiset in net. They get Roy, who unexpectedly become available and win the cup. They were perennial cup favorites afterwards with him.

I see the Oilers as a similar style team as those Avs teams. They're not going anywhere near the finals without goaltending.

While I'm not sure when a Patrick Roy will be available again, more or less you're correct.

The current tandem is unlikely to get the Oilers to a Finals.

The Oilers have to decide how much they really actually want to get there or whether or not it's mostly talk and they're too embarrassed to admit they screwed up the Campbell signing. Even if he improves, I still don't think this tandem is it.

Without a clear cut stud no.1 D to anchor the D group and a D group that is generally not that great to begin with, having questionable goaltending is just not workable when the goal is playoff success beyond just winning 1 or 2 rounds.

As many ways as people want to spin the Oilers had basically the worst starter in the regular season + the worst starter through the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
but would the ducks do it? and we take on 1.4 more in cap hit. Gibson has shown he can run the show when healthy. Campbell, he has had stretches and that is it
And that's the problem. He's pretty injury prone plus Hellebyuck is used to playing in a fishbowl Canadian hockey environment so I'd be going after him.

Hellebyuck injury history: Connor Hellebuyck Injuries - NHL | FOX Sports

Gibson injury history:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
While I'm not sure when a Patrick Roy will be available again, more or less you're correct.

The current tandem is unlikely to get the Oilers to a Finals.

The Oilers have to decide how much they really actually want to get there or whether or not it's mostly talk and they're too embarrassed to admit they screwed up the Campbell signing. Even if he improves, I still don't think this tandem is it.

Without a clear cut stud no.1 D to anchor the D group and a D group that is generally not that great to begin with, having questionable goaltending is just not workable when the goal is playoff success beyond just winning 1 or 2 rounds.

As many ways as people want to spin the Oilers had basically the worst starter in the regular season + the worst starter through the 2nd round of the playoffs.
Roy, Brodeur and Hasek are probably the three best goalies the league has seen in its history. Roy was the McDavid of goalies so no one in the league right now can hold a candle to him but Hellebyuck is the closest in my opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Roy, Brodeur and Hasek are probably the three best goalies the league has seen in its history. Roy was the McDavid of goalies so no one in the league right now can hold a candle to him but Hellebyuck is the closest in my opinion.

Unfortunately I think the Oilers are too stupid of a management group to admit they've made a mistake and to move quickly (this is the key part) to fix it. They will risk another year go down the toilet just to see if they really made a mistake in net and then "new GM" Steve Staois will be left answering questions about why they didn't do anything earlier.

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I think Canpbell is going to bounce back next season in a big way but if there’s even a chance of acquiring Helly then you have to take it.

Agreed. We just blew our shot at the cup this year because of goaltending. If you can get a perennial Vezina contender you have to make it work.

They have 40 million in capspace and no goalie but Gibson with experience. I feel like they’re a prime candidate for moving Campbell. The problem is who is on his no trade list? For a guy that clearly has no problem playing in Canada, you’ve got to think the 10 teams are the bottom feeders.

Unfortunately I think the Oilers are too stupid of a management group to admit they've made a mistake and to move quickly (this is the key part) to fix it. They will risk another year go down the toilet just to see if they really made a mistake in net and then "new GM" Steve Staois will be left answering questions about why they didn't do anything earlier.

Disagree. Holland would never fire a coach mid season… except he did. He would never spend significant assets at the deadline to go acquire another top pairing dman… except he did. He’s clearly been willing to make the necessary moves

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Agreed. We just blew our shot at the cup this year because of goaltending. If you can get a perennial Vezina contender you have to make it work.

They have 40 million in capspace and no goalie but Gibson with experience. I feel like they’re a prime candidate for moving Campbell. The problem is who is on his no trade list? For a guy that clearly has no problem playing in Canada, you’ve got to think the 10 teams are the bottom feeders.

Disagree. Holland would never fire a coach mid season… except he did. He would never spend significant assets at the deadline to go acquire another top pairing dman… except he did. He’s clearly been willing to make the necessary moves

He fired Tippett only once the season was on the entire brink of falling apart, if he didn't do anything there he himself would have been fired. And even then he basically made it sound like he really, really, really did not want to do it (lol).

He's gotten one good d-man sure ... in his 4th year here. So who knows where "get an actual good goalie who isn't 39 years old" is on the Holland time line. I suspect the Oilers balk at goaltending upgrades this summer and will play up the "we're the smartest person in the room" to give Skinner/Campbell another chance.

You have to ask yourself would a management team like Vegas' do that? I doubt it. It'd be one year and then time to change it up.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
Vegas is going into the finals with 7 different goalies this year, and Fla with their back up . Ullmark, Shesterkin, Vasy, Sorokin all stunk it up in the playoffs

I love the tunnel vision arguments on how the Oilers will never go anywhere without an elite goalie

Exactly, the biggest mistake was not going with Campbell when Skinner was posting historically bad numbers.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Vegas is going into the finals with 7 different goalies this year, and Fla with their back up . Ullmark, Shesterkin, Vasy, Sorokin all stunk it up in the playoffs

I love the tunnel vision arguments on how the Oilers will never go anywhere without an elite goalie

Bobrovsky is like the highest paid goalie in the league who previously led Columbus to the greatest upset in NHL history (before doing it again this year) and is a Vezina trophy winner, he's just found his game in the playoffs, just like Carey Price did a couple years prior, that's no normal back up.

Vegas plays probably one of the most disciplined defensive systems in the league.

Trying to equate either of these things to the Oilers is being disingenuous IMO. We don't have a d-corps as strong as Vegas or the coaching/commitment defensively either.

We don't have a Bobrovsky tier goalie that can elevate their game like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019

you still did not address WHY the ducks would do it?

Reactions: McDoused

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There's also the possibility that Adin Hill is just a good goalie who never really got a chance to run with the ball.

His save percentage in the last 4 seasons has been: .918 on a bad Coyotes team, .913 again with the bad Coyotes, .906 on a bad Sharks team, and then .915 with the Knights this regular season.

He's had decent to OK numbers on bad teams in the past. Maybe this is just a sign of Vegas having smart management that finds a diamond in the rough (or along with Thompson, two diamonds in the rough).

Skinner had his chance in the playoffs to show he's as good as Adin Hill ... I would say he didn't do too well at that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

The thing is…Vegas’ defense is good enough where they can put any goalie in the crease and they would look half decent. The goalies in Edmonton look so bad because they are often hung out to dry and there is no semblance of structured defensive play. We either need to repair the defense and completely change our systems (and roll with the same tandem) or bring in an elite goalie. I think it’s easier to do the latter in my opinion. Whatever elite goalie we do bring in will turn into an above average goalie but that should be enough to at least gives us a finals appearance in my opinion.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Shea Theodore is a legit no.1 D I think, what a steal by Vegas grabbing him for nothing, great scouting + development.

Pietrangelo isn't as good as he used to be but he's still a formidable no.2.

The rest of Vegas' D is very disciplined and plays their system to a tee.

The Oilers D Corps is not as good. Ekholm and Pietrangelo are maybe a wash, but Theodore is way better than Nurse and they don't have liabilities like Ceci on their top 4.

Reactions: Anarchism

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
The thing is…Vegas’ defense is good enough where they can put any goalie in the crease and they would look half decent. The goalies in Edmonton look so bad because they are often hung out to dry and there is no semblance of structured defensive play. We either need to repair the defense and completely change our systems (and roll with the same tandem) or bring in an elite goalie. I think it’s easier to do the latter in my opinion. Whatever elite goalie we do bring in will turn into an above average goalie but that should be enough to at least gives us a finals appearance in my opinion.
Its not so easy to establish 'structured' defensive play with the top end personnel we have and the style of play --PP dependent. A highly defensive 3rd line centre probably a good start. A strong defensive vet for 3rd pair taking minutes away from the other two and pushing Desi to number 7. Upgrading Ceci likely a month or two before the trade deadline....with a strong two way guy. Then you need a goalie that can play .915 in the playoffs and push skinner to the backup for this year anyways. Need a gritty cycle 4th line guy a true power forward with okay hands and size and be aggressive so one of our defensemen doesnt have to do this job.
Vegas has Roy and Howden up front and McNabb and Hague on the backend--Chucker n Bennett wont be running around without an answer like last series. Florida will have to force Vegas to take lots of penalties early so Vegas will back off.

Last edited:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He fired Tippett only once the season was on the entire brink of falling apart, if he didn't do anything there he himself would have been fired. And even then he basically made it sound like he really, really, really did not want to do it (lol).

He's gotten one good d-man sure ... in his 4th year here. So who knows where "get an actual good goalie who isn't 39 years old" is on the Holland time line. I suspect the Oilers balk at goaltending upgrades this summer and will play up the "we're the smartest person in the room" to give Skinner/Campbell another chance.

You have to ask yourself would a management team like Vegas' do that? I doubt it. It'd be one year and then time to change it up.

We still had a winning record and Holland wasn’t getting fired. Point is, he made the move that needed to happen despite everyone being sure it wouldn’t happen.

One good dman? He brought in Ekholm, Barrie, Ceci, and Kulak. 3 of whom are top 4 dmen. And Kulak isn’t that far off either. Those are 4 good dmen he brought in. And once again, you’re ignoring the point which is that everyone was sure he wouldn’t make a big splash at the deadline, yet he did.

you still did not address WHY the ducks would do it?

I literally did. As I said, they have a massive amount of capspace and trading Gibson would leave them without an experienced goalie.

They also would get a significant package of assets for both Gibson and eating Campbell.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad