Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Shopping List For Forwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It sounds like we are looking to improve our forward group. It's kind of hard to imagine with studs like Janmark and Brown playing every game for us and having to miscast guys like Foegele in the top 6. We've all heard names like Konecny, Guentzel and Tarasenko as possible targets. Who else could we see make a surprise entrance to the list and maybe our team?

Here's a few guys off the top of my head that might be decent buy low candidates:

Anthony Mantha (UFA at season's end with a $5.7 million AAV, we would need full or maybe even double retention to make it work) Holland is familiar with this player from his time in Detroit.
This season: 46gp. 16-10-26 +7 (15-5-20 at ES)

Yakov Trenin (UFA at season's end with a $1.7 million AAV) A guy that brings size, physicality and strength as well the ability to score a few goals.
This season: 49gp. 8-3-11 +3 (8-2-10 at ES)

Michael McCaron (UFA at season's end with a $775K AAV) A center that brings size and toughness as well as the ability to chip in some offensively.
This season: 40gp. 7-5-12 +1 (7-5-12 at ES)

Sam Carrick (UFA at season's end with an $850K AAV) A winger that brings some grit and is at a veteran.
This season: 51gp. 7-3-10 -9 (5-3-8 at ES)

Patrick Maroon (UFA at season's end with an $800K AAV) Size, grit and physicality as well as a ton of playoff experience and a familiarity with our core. Currently injured.
This season: 49gp. 4-12-16 -11 (4-11-15 at ES)

Reactions: Biltmore and ujju2

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
It sounds like we are looking to improve our forward group. It's kind of hard to imagine with studs like Janmark and Brown playing every game for us and having to miscast guys like Foegele in the top 6. We've all heard names like Konecny, Guentzel and Tarasenko as possible targets. Who else could we see make a surprise entrance to the list and maybe our team?

Here's a few guys off the top of my head that might be decent buy low candidates:

Anthony Mantha (UFA at season's end with a $5.7 million AAV, we would need full or maybe even double retention to make it work) Holland is familiar with this player from his time in Detroit.

Yakov Trenin (UFA at season's end with a $1.7 million AAV) A guy that brings size, physicality and strength as well the ability to score a few goals.

Michael McCaron (UFA at season's end with a $775K AAV) A center that brings size and toughness as well as the ability to chip in some offensively.

Sam Carrick (UFA at season's end with an $850K AAV) A winger that brings some grit and is at a veteran.

Patrick Maroon (UFA at season's end with an $800K AAV) Size, grit and physicality as well as a ton of playoff experience and a familiarity with our core. Currently injured.
McCaron and Maroon would be nice cheap adds once we’ve made 1-2 larger trades and are using up the remaining cap.

Not sure how much Patty Maroon has left in the tank, especially coming off an injury (and surgery too I think). But he’s just such a great guy, won cups, knows basically the whole team already.

These are the guys that probably push Holloway down for the playoffs, which I’m alright with. Love the kid but we need a championship, we need sure things.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I’d take any of these packages with 50% retention on the D-man. All the centers have term attached, but only Jensen would for the D.

Laughton and Walker retained
Sissons and Carrier retained
Dowd and Jensen retained

I wouldn’t mind one of Laughton/Sissons and also Dowd brought in.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Jake Allen with his 6th consecutive game of 3+ goals in net for all 7 in today's 7-2 loss cementing his place on the Habs post deadline.

Been saying for months he’d be useless to a team looking for a goalie upgrade.

I’d take any of these packages with 50% retention on the D-man. All the centers have term attached, but only Jensen would for the D.

Dowd and Jensen retained

That’s an interesting way to look at it. I don’t think any of those defenceman alone should return a 1st round pick. So adding that extra forward justifies spending the 1st and adjust the ++ to balance out the value.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Dowd and Jensen retained

Agreed on the first two, but I don't think the Oilers have been at the Caps games so I don't think Dowd is on our radar.

I also haven't seen Walker and Carrier enough to judge but I'd hope they are clear upgrades on Ceci as we're giving up size in each scenario.

Reactions: TheGhost

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Dowd and Jensen retained

Dowd is getting a 1st man ahaha I wouldn’t go near him.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
As a canuck fan who wants carrick himself it imo was a good target OP.. he can play center too and would add so much to your fourth line

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
@VainGretzky
He might. It’s not going to happen this year though so if we move Foegele in hopes that Holloway will replace him this year, he won’t and he has shown no signs that he will. Next year? Maybe sure. But he isn’t that player now.

Ps; and year he might need some injury free time but it’s Holloway, good chance he is injured before playoffs again.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
McCaron and Maroon would be nice cheap adds once we’ve made 1-2 larger trades and are using up the remaining cap.

Not sure how much Patty Maroon has left in the tank, especially coming off an injury (and surgery too I think). But he’s just such a great guy, won cups, knows basically the whole team already.

These are the guys that probably push Holloway down for the playoffs, which I’m alright with. Love the kid but we need a championship, we need sure things.

Rishaug pointed out that we already got our Maroon in the form of Corey Perry. Put both in the lineup and it gets slow, fast.

Wouldn't mind Maroon's linemate Bogosian as the #7 though. Solid cup winning vet who would be fine spending most of his time in the press box.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Rishaug pointed out that we already got our Maroon in the form of Corey Perry. Put both in the lineup and it gets slow, fast.

Wouldn't mind Maroon's linemate Bogosian as the #7 though. Solid cup winning vet who would be fine spending most of his time in the press box.
Good point, I just like Maroon. But he might be an extra forward even with our current lineup, and if we add a player or two he’s way out of the lineup.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Good point, I just like Maroon. But he might be an extra forward even with our current lineup, and if we add a player or two he’s way out of the lineup.

I agree and was all over acquiring him before Perry landed on our laps. Still wouldn't mind him as a 13th forward but I don't think we're looking for that right now

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I think Philly wants to move away from Laughton who has really fallen out of favor. Last year Philly was asking for a 1st round pick but now you could argue that he has negative value.

We also know that Philly needs a goalie, enter Jack Campbell. The reason why Campbell works is that Philly isnt interested in spending assets for a goalie. The market right now is slim for goalies. I think that's why they can take someone that another team wants to unload.

If the rumored price for Edmonton to move on from Campbell was 2 1st round picks that means that we could essentially move Broberg and the 1st to dump Campbell. Obviously this price is high by itself and why I don't think Edmonton wants to pay just to get the cap space. We need to improve as well and our assets are limited.

I think by taking Laughton it's a bit of a win-win. By taking Laughton back we help balance out the money but also get a guy who might help us while allowing Philly to get out from his contract.

I also think Philadelphia can realisticly look for a 2nd round for Walker. Maybe they can get a bit more elsewhere but by including him in the deal the money works better, they don't have to retain and helps solidify the deal.

Laughton (3) + Walker (2.65)

For

Campbell (5) + Broberg + 2024 1st round pick + 2024 2nd round pick.

Edmonton would have to make another deal for Cody Ceci in a separate deal but can still afford to hold onto him if they want to keep him for depth.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I think Philly wants to move away from Laughton who has really fallen out of favor. Last year Philly was asking for a 1st round pick but now you could argue that he has negative value.

We also know that Philly needs a goalie, enter Jack Campbell. The reason why Campbell works is that Philly isnt interested in spending assets for a goalie. The market right now is slim for goalies. I think that's why they can take someone that another team wants to unload.

If the rumored price for Edmonton to move on from Campbell was 2 1st round picks that means that we could essentially move Broberg and the 1st to dump Campbell. Obviously this price is high by itself and why I don't think Edmonton wants to pay just to get the cap space. We need to improve as well and our assets are limited.

I think by taking Laughton it's a bit of a win-win. By taking Laughton back we help balance out the money but also get a guy who might help us while allowing Philly to get out from his contract.

I also think Philadelphia can realisticly look for a 2nd round for Walker. Maybe they can get a bit more elsewhere but by including him in the deal the money works better, they don't have to retain and helps solidify the deal.

For

Edmonton would have to make another deal for Cody Ceci in a separate deal but can still afford to hold onto him if they want to keep him for depth.

It sounds like Laughton will definitely be traded but Seravalli said that Philly is happy with Ersson and Peterson when Gregor suggested dumping Campbell there as well.

Laughton seems like a great fit here though

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Why does Philly have so many players on the trade Block when they're sitting semi-comfortable. Is it because these players made it abundantly clear that they won't re-sign?
It seems like outdated info to me. With Konecny and Walker in particular, these are high minute players. Philly is in a divisional playoff spot. Even Laughton is good for them. I'd think if they are trading guys they'd want good players back

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

For

Philly already has Cal Petersons shit contract, they aren’t adding Campbells too

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Yeah, I agree with the duo of Janmark and Brown. I can say they're both adequate on the PK, but a mere 1 goal in total for both players combined is the definition of garbage. I'm not asking them to score every game, but the fact that they haven't been able to chip in here or there is frustrating to watch too. Those 2 need to be better as much as the next players.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It seems like outdated info to me. With Konecny and Walker in particular, these are high minute players. Philly is in a divisional playoff spot. Even Laughton is good for them. I'd think if they are trading guys they'd want good players back

No no. Walkers minutes have already been cut back, because they had to make an emergency trade for Drysdale when Cutter wanted out. They have a log jam at RD now. Makes perfect sense for them to move him. Recent reports both from the flyers reported ask and teams report interest in Walker points to him being available recently. Also Torts recently came out with a statement saying don’t get too attached to players and keep your eye on the future or something to that effect.

Konecny though is probably not available, don’t know why people are keying in on him when reports are saying Flyers want to extend him and his contract isn’t even expiring. But Walker is 100% available.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think people may place too much importance on the 4th line. Vegas got a lot of credit last year for their "depth" but the truth is their 4th line basically came out even 5 vs 5 over the whole playoffs and other than Roy the guys they had did not even pk.

Aside from Hill, Vegas won because their best line dominated teams in GF% and their third line chipped in enough to help out while also carrying a lot of the pk responsibilities.

If the Oilers could add a couple of top six wingers on the cheap I think they could have better depth than last year's Vegas team quite easily.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Mantha (75% retained; 1.425M AAV), Dowd (1.3M AAV) and Edmundson (75% retained; 475K AAV)

for

Janmark (1M AAV), 2024 1st, 2026 2nd, 2025 4th, 2024 6th (EDM's - also have NSH's)

Edmundson becomes the no. 7 vet D for the playoffs. We get a top 6 (ish) winger and no.4 RHC in Dowd. Caps get a haul of picks. Some of the mid/late picks are to brokers for retention.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Mantha (75% retained; 1.425M AAV), Dowd (1.3M AAV) and Edmundson (75% retained; 475K AAV)

for

Janmark (1M AAV), 2024 1st, 2026 2nd, 2025 4th, 2024 6th (EDM's - also have NSH's)

Edmundson becomes the no. 7 vet D for the playoffs. We get a top 6 (ish) winger and no.4 RHC in Dowd. Caps get a haul of picks. Some of the mid/late picks are to brokers for retention.
None of those players make that 1st going out worth it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I have a hard time picturing Philly being a seller as of now. They are almost as comfortably in a playoff position as the Oilers are and can you imagine selling the idea to Torts that you're trading his 3C and/or top 4 Dman for futures? Ehh, I'm not seeing it.

I think Nashville might be the more realistic target since they did trade Ekholm while they were in a playoff race last season, still surprised that they wound up trading him but... yay for us.

Reactions: soothsayer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino