Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | No Provorov talk… no, seriously (post 939)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
I would hope for a reduced price on EK65 near the deadline or Ekholm if Prefs falter. Otherwise maybe some low key upgrades like Gostisbehere and Domi to improve depth and puckmoving

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
I don't see Gavrikov or especially Edmundson as an improvement from any of our bottom 4 Dmen. They might be more physical, sure, but at this point we're just rotating out #5 Dmen. Neither of those players are top 3 dmen on a contender, and that is what we should be swinging for at this point. If you are talking a bonafide top 4 guy like Chychrun or Ekhlom, then swing for the fences. But trading a 1st in a deep draft +other assets for more of the same doesn't do it for me.

Holland should have been all over Lindholm or Weegar last year, even Giordano is still playing really good top 4 minutes. All the contenders are going for top Dmen, we need to do the same instead of tinkering around the bottom of the roster every year.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Another thing I wanted to mention. We have the #1 offense in the league, the #1 powerplay, goaltending is finally solidified, Nuge and Hyman are having incredible years. Despite the struggles, we have been among the league's best 5on5 teams the last 2 months, and our record is finally beginning to show it. Our division isn't a powerhouse- Vegas isn't nearly as good as they used to be, Seattle is playing really well but they're unproven, and LA is young with goaltending issues. Colorado isn't as deep as last year, and is facing more injuries. THIS is the year to go for it. This is the deadline to throw our assets at a top pairing Dman.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't think we can decide what we really need until the deadline. Just look at how the team has changed in the past few weeks even. The longer we can delay adding someone the better.

That is a benefit of adding a guy like Ekholm who plays both sides. I do think that no matter what, leaning as hard as we do on young Dmen isn't ideal

Reactions: McDoused

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Who are you taking off the back end next year to make this work? Barrie?
Gavrikov at 50% retention is only 1.4 million. The trade will easily work and would just mean Broberg is pushed down a spot. I know he's improving but if you're trying to go far in the playoffs I'd rather have Gavrikov trying to stop Mackinnon over Broberg.

Edit: Just read the for next year part. Moving one of Barrie or Kulak would be the only way it would work. Barrie makes the most sense since they will probably have almost equal cap hits but I'd rather move Kulak and have Broberg take his spot on the third pairing.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't see Gavrikov or especially Edmundson as an improvement from any of our bottom 4 Dmen. They might be more physical, sure, but at this point we're just rotating out #5 Dmen. Neither of those players are top 3 dmen on a contender, and that is what we should be swinging for at this point. If you are talking a bonafide top 4 guy like Chychrun or Ekhlom, then swing for the fences. But trading a 1st in a deep draft +other assets for more of the same doesn't do it for me.

Holland should have been all over Lindholm or Weegar last year, even Giordano is still playing really good top 4 minutes. All the contenders are going for top Dmen, we need to do the same instead of tinkering around the bottom of the roster every year.
Gavrikov may not be a name brand, but he's definitely more than a bottom pairing defenseman.

He's sixth in time against elite comp and has had the hardest zone starts in the league going back to the beginning of last season. It's pretty tough to find someone else who fits the "top4 shutdown D" profile more than him.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Another thing I wanted to mention. We have the #1 offense in the league, the #1 powerplay, goaltending is finally solidified, Nuge and Hyman are having incredible years. Despite the struggles, we have been among the league's best 5on5 teams the last 2 months, and our record is finally beginning to show it. Our division isn't a powerhouse- Vegas isn't nearly as good as they used to be, Seattle is playing really well but they're unproven, and LA is young with goaltending issues. Colorado isn't as deep as last year, and is facing more injuries. THIS is the year to go for it. This is the deadline to throw our assets at a top pairing Dman.
The problem there is that who is available? The dream target is Chychrun probably. High performance with a low cap hit. Thing there is that I bet Arizona trades him out of conference.

Cap aside, adding Karlsson would be amazing. I know that might as well be impossible but he is top pairing and he is available. Who is out there?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I just don't think any of the 3 teams ahead of us are that much better then us. Seattle and LA are outscoring their horrible goaltending and defensive play with unsustainable shooting percentages. Vegas is coming back down to earth now that there schedule is getting hard. I wouldn't be surprised if Vegas falls out of a playoff spot by the end of the year just based on their upcoming schedule.

Seattle, Calgary and Edmonton have the easiest schedules in the league so I can see them finishing top 3 with LA in a wild card spot. Vegas has the hardest schedule of all the teams in a playoff spot in the western conference.

Reactions: Biltmore

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Who are you taking off the back end next year to make this work? Barrie?
It's his last year right? If Gavrikov extends, do you trust Bouch to fill in Barrie's shoes (bridged)?

Edit. I would rather it be Kulak, but what kind of deal would Barrie take that can accommodate Gavrikov?

Last edited:
Reactions: Macblender

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I think they just trade
It's his last year right? If Gavrikov extends, do you trust Bouch to fill in Barrie's shoes (bridged)?

Edit. I would rather it be Kulak, but what kind of deal would Barrie take that can accommodate Gavrikov?
barrie is signed next year.

That’s why I was pushing Kulak in the Gavrikov signed deal. Gavrikov is straight up better imo. Move the kulak deal which lets you extend. Otherwise there is other players I love the first for.

I would way rather trade two firsts a prospect and whatever salary for chychrun than an unsigned Gavrikov. Kulak needs to go in that deal as well though.

Reactions: McBooya42

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think they just trade

barrie is signed next year.

That’s why I was pushing Kulak in the Gavrikov signed deal. Gavrikov is straight up better imo. Move the kulak deal which lets you extend. Otherwise there is other players I love the first for.

I would way rather trade two firsts a prospect and whatever salary for chychrun than an unsigned Gavrikov. Kulak needs to go in that deal as well though.
I wonder how tradeable Kulak is. He's signed for 2.75 AAV for 3 more years.

I'd think for a lower team Kulak might have positive value, but asking any team to commit 3 years to anyone signed for over 1 million might be a tough sell, especially if they are aiming on being a good team before that time is up. But still, he's a warm body who plays pretty well, signed for a reasonable amount if he's your 2nd pairing, even as a #4

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Gavrikov may not be a name brand, but he's definitely more than a bottom pairing defenseman.

He's sixth in time against elite comp and has had the hardest zone starts in the league going back to the beginning of last season. It's pretty tough to find someone else who fits the "top4 shutdown D" profile more than him.
How does he do in those minutes?

Bad teams usually have players playing further up the lineup than they should be. Well, that’s probably why they’re bad in the first place.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I wonder how tradeable Kulak is. He's signed for 2.75 AAV for 3 more years.

I'd think for a lower team Kulak might have positive value, but asking any team to commit 3 years to anyone signed for over 1 million might be a tough sell, especially if they are aiming on being a good team before that time is up. But still, he's a warm body who plays pretty well, signed for a reasonable amount if he's your 2nd pairing, even as a #4
You'd have to find a team that really likes Kulak to commit to taking on those three more years.

Trading a guy that just signed a four year contract doesn't sound like something Holland would do either.

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

PeteEakins

Oct 9, 2021

This is revolting. Do posters here comment for the sake of commenting? If you’re going to do it, at least have some sort of basis for it. Gavrikov isn’t an improvement over anyone on the top 4? Are you actually serious? What’s the basis for this?

Please don’t disseminate falsehoods. It’s bad to lie or spread an opinion on a player you’ve never seen before. Someone might believe you and that’s just not good for the Oilers. At least it’s truthful.

Last edited:
Reactions: McTonyBrar

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You'd have to find a team that really likes Kulak to commit to taking on those three more years.

Trading a guy that just signed a four year contract doesn't sound like something Holland would do either.
I could see Holland trading Kulak if the discussion was all about Kulak challenging for that 2LD spot. Either way, Kulak's career was full of uncertainty so I doubt that Holland's treatment of him would be anything like a black mark, even if he traded him so soon. The Oilers got this man paid, after he was an often-healthy-scratch for the Habs

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
How does he do in those minutes?

Bad teams usually have players playing further up the lineup than they should be. Well, that’s probably why they’re bad in the first place.
He has pretty good defensive numbers. About as good as you'd expect from a #3D playing #1D minutes against elite #1D comp, I'd say.

The offense is pretty much non-existent, but getting 30% offensive zone starts on a team like Columbus will do that.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
This is essentially my thinking almost exactly. In regards to Provorov and Ekholm with sizeable cap hits, I wonder how much their teams value cap space and if we could get a very good deal value wise if we were able to take on either of their full cap hits without sending cap back or needing retention. With the exception of Foegele, I think you could move all of Jesse, Yamamoto, Kulak for some sort of value or at the very least it having to pay to unload them, so if you could get a smoking deal value wise on say Ekholm and then create the space needed in separate deals, that could work out better for us depending on what we got back for the players we’re sending out.

Gavrikov seems like he could get expensive asset wise and possibly be a pure rental.

Chychrun would be the most expensive but if they’ve exhausted all the other options then they should bite the bullet and pay something similar to what you’ve suggested. He’s not the perfect fit but he’s a definitive top 4 guy added to the blue line this year and then moving forward you can evaluate how he fits and make more moves from there. He’ll likely hold most of the value of what you paid for him up until the deadline of his ufa season.
Definitely more value to those teams not taking any contracts back. We do have to send some though.

The thing you notice with a lot of top teams is they just go out and get the best player and spend the assets.

Like chychrun would be great so would a few others mentioned.

Reactions: McDoused

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I still think Chychrun is the #1 trade target for the Oilers. If you are going to spend a 1st round pick + on a rental you might as well spend 2 and get Chychrun who is on a cost controlled deal for another 2 years after this one. Worst case scenario you unload him in 2 years and recoup one of those 1st rounders making him a cheaper acquisition cost than a guy like Garvikov. Not to mention Chychrun can play the top unit with Nurse.

Garland is not what this team needs and is overpaid.
Chychrun isn't re-signing here and is injured too much to pay the price for.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I just don't think any of the 3 teams ahead of us are that much better then us. Seattle and LA are outscoring their horrible goaltending and defensive play with unsustainable shooting percentages. Vegas is coming back down to earth now that there schedule is getting hard. I wouldn't be surprised if Vegas falls out of a playoff spot by the end of the year just based on their upcoming schedule.

Seattle, Calgary and Edmonton have the easiest schedules in the league so I can see them finishing top 3 with LA in a wild card spot. Vegas has the hardest schedule of all the teams in a playoff spot in the western conference.
The Pacific Division is the weakest division in the league. If the club can't win the division or stay in the top 3... just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad