Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | No Provorov talk… no, seriously (post 939)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think Rishaug said it best. "So you have Broberg who is playing really well now. Gets to the 2nd round, 3rd round, to the Stanley Cup Finals....and comes up against the Boston Bruins. Has a tough go because he is a rookie and you say well, that is alright, he is a rookie, he will be better next year. Most years that is ok. Not this year with two of the best players on the planet on the team. The time to win is now, so you add a player that you pretty much know what you are going to get when you are in the Stanley Cup Finals."
Unpopular opinion but Boston isn't going to the final. They blew their wad during the regulars season like most President trophy winners. Since the Presidents trophy was awarded in 1986 only 8 of those teams won the Cup with another 3 losing in the Cup final. They also got to get past the winner of Toronto/Tampa which will be a war and have those team ready for the next round while the Bruins will most likely walk over their 1st round opponent.

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
I think he's just lost motivation on a not so great team. He wants to compete for cups, not lottery picks. I'm pretty confident whoever gets him will be getting Art Ross calibre Kane.

I'm biased though, I love the player. Showtime is maybe the most fun player to watch in the league when he's on his game (aside from McD obviously)
He is 34 though, father time could be catching up.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Unpopular opinion but Boston isn't going to the final. They blew their wad during the regulars season like most President trophy winners. Since the Presidents trophy was awarded in 1986 only 8 of those teams won the Cup with another 3 losing in the Cup final. They also got to get past the winner of Toronto/Tampa which will be a war and have those team ready for the next round while the Bruins will most likely walk over their 1st round opponent.
You might be right, but regardless of who we play adding for a playoff run is something that should still be on GMKH's radar.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think Rishaug said it best. "So you have Broberg who is playing really well now. Gets to the 2nd round, 3rd round, to the Stanley Cup Finals....and comes up against the Boston Bruins. Has a tough go because he is a rookie and you say well, that is alright, he is a rookie, he will be better next year. Most years that is ok. Not this year with two of the best players on the planet on the team. The time to win is now, so you add a player that you pretty much know what you are going to get when you are in the Stanley Cup Finals."
We simply have no depth either. Not a lot of people are talking about the fact that we've had no injuries to the backend.

Once things ramp up and the intensity ramps up there is a lot larger risk of injury. Not sure this team can handle an injury to the backend.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Sure but something has to give at some point on the D as running 7 or 8D is excessive at the cost of being able to utilize cap for depth scoring.

My point I upgrade your second pair left position and if a Broberg etc cannot perform you can shelter him even more by having a true top 4 d in front of him instead of a #5 in Kulak being forced into a top 4. People can disagree but to me Kulak isn’t too 4 quality.

Part of the reason I like chychrun so much is he has term at a low cap and we could resell him 2 years from now if needed but we are buying a rental for 3 deadlines. The rumour thread on him has the speculated ask a two firsts and a good prospect which I think we could easily make work.
We won't have to worry about the cap in the playoffs which would give Woodcroft the option of 12-6 or 11-7. Then you would have Broberg, Desharnais, Murray as the subs. If we go out and add a RD like Schenn to go with Gurianov then you could sit one of Barrie, Bouchard or Ceci if they're playing bad or get injured.

I think we should target Gurianov, Schenn and Toews at the trade deadline. We would need retention on Gurianov and double retention on Schenn with JP and Foegele or Yamamoto going the other way.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
We simply have no depth either. Not a lot of people are talking about the fact that we've had no injuries to the backend.

Once things ramp up and the intensity ramps up there is a lot larger risk of injury. Not sure this team can handle an injury to the backend.
Correct. If we have good goaltending, the forwards do what they have done and we add a vet or two and a top 4 dman.....who knows, could go on a run.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So for a LD top 4 upgrade what would you rather do:

Provorov straight up for Puljujarvi
Edmundson for 2nd + Puljujarvi+ Lavoie
McCabe @ 50% for Puljujarvi+ 1st
Gavrikov for Puljujarvi+ 1st + Nemelainen
Chychrun for Puljujarvi+1st + Schaefer+ Nemelainen

Macblender

May 5, 2014
We won't have to worry about the cap in the playoffs which would give Woodcroft the option of 12-6 or 11-7. Then you would have Broberg, Desharnais, Murray as the subs. If we go out and add a RD like Schenn to go with Gurianov then you could sit one of Barrie, Bouchard or Ceci if they're playing bad or get injured.

I think we should target Gurianov, Schenn and Toews at the trade deadline. We would need retention on Gurianov and double retention on Schenn with JP and Foegele or Yamamoto going the other way.
My understanding is that your comment is only accurate for LTIR activations we would still need a cap compliant roster before they start and carrying Kulak, Gavrikov, Broberg, Barrie, nurse, ceci, Bouchard, desharnais, Murray in your situation before even considering you said to add schenn. That is next to impossible to even hold the number of forwards, being 12 that you mentioned, to be cap compliant in our last game unless you blew up our forward core of a high paid player or two meaning more than just a 3M guy.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

Of the five, I would do 1 or 5. Maybe 2

McCabe will not waive for 3. Overpay for 4.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

Provorov is an underpayment.
Edmundson is horrible and a major part of the problem in Montreal
McCabe is another Kulak and would hold back the development of the younger players until 24/25. Zero playoff experience
Gavrikov won't cost Nemo on top
Chychrun deal is fair but stay away from the mains with it lol

I'd target a deal where they are upgrading Ceci with a no frills stay at home defenseman(young Vlasic)
No idea who that could be though

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022

Holy shit, if provorov was that cheap and we got him, flyers fans would hang fletcher from a lampost.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
My understanding is that your comment is only accurate for LTIR activations we would still need a cap compliant roster before they start and carrying Kulak, Gavrikov, Broberg, Barrie, nurse, ceci, Bouchard, desharnais, Murray in your situation before even considering you said to add schenn. That is next to impossible to even hold the number of forwards, being 12 that you mentioned, to be cap compliant in our last game unless you blew up our forward core of a high paid player or two meaning more than just a 3M guy.
You would have to send down the waiver eligible players but if you added Schenn and Gavrikov then they wouldn't be in the lineup anyways. I'd feel more confident going into the playoffs running the 11-7 setup with Nurse, Gavrikov, Kulak on the left and Ceci, Barrie, Schenn, Bouchard on the right. Schenn makes near league minimum and Gavrikov at 50% is only 1.4 million. You send JP the other way and the cap works with some to spare.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003

That is not enough for Provorov. Problem with acquiring a $6m+ defenseman is that multiple contracts have to be shipped out. Looking at Kulak + 2 of either Yamo/PJ/Foegele to fits in the salary cap. I can't see retention for either Ekholm or Provorov because of the term left on their deals, and neither team would want Barrie cause they already have that type of player. So Kulak + 2 of + picks. Ekholm is probably the best fit right now but has the risk of falling off a cliff. Provorov has red flags, a couple of poor seasons and may not get his PP time here. And isn't the defensive wall we're looking for.

You would have to pay me to take Edmundson. Teams needs top 4 defensemen, not another 3rd pairing.

Can't see 50% retention for 3 years with McCabe.

I'd do PJ and 1st for Gavrikov, especially if there is a chance of re-signing. Probably fits the teams needs most after Ekholm. I wonder if they would take Kulak and a 2nd?

Yes. But would have to send another contract. PJ is gone anyways. So a late 1st rounder this year, a late first rounder last year (Schaefer) and a 6/7 who's been passed by Broberg and Desjardins for a legit top 4 defenseman.

Reactions: LTIR

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

The one argument against this is COL last year, who got better once Girard got injuried and they started leaning on Byram more, and he became their #3 by the time of the finals.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
That is not enough for Provorov. Problem with acquiring a $6m+ defenseman is that multiple contracts have to be shipped out. Looking at Kulak + 2 of either Yamo/PJ/Foegele to fits in the salary cap. I can't see retention for either Ekholm or Provorov because of the term left on their deals, and neither team would want Barrie cause they already have that type of player. So Kulak + 2 of + picks. Ekholm is probably the best fit right now but has the risk of falling off a cliff. Provorov has red flags, a couple of poor seasons and may not get his PP time here. And isn't the defensive wall we're looking for.

You would have to pay me to take Edmundson. Teams needs top 4 defensemen, not another 3rd pairing.

Can't see 50% retention for 3 years with McCabe.

I'd do PJ and 1st for Gavrikov, especially if there is a chance of re-signing. Probably fits the teams needs most after Ekholm. I wonder if they would take Kulak and a 2nd?

Yes. But would have to send another contract. PJ is gone anyways. So a late 1st rounder this year, a late first rounder last year (Schaefer) and a 6/7 who's been passed by Broberg and Desjardins for a legit top 4 defenseman.
This is essentially my thinking almost exactly. In regards to Provorov and Ekholm with sizeable cap hits, I wonder how much their teams value cap space and if we could get a very good deal value wise if we were able to take on either of their full cap hits without sending cap back or needing retention. With the exception of Foegele, I think you could move all of Jesse, Yamamoto, Kulak for some sort of value or at the very least it having to pay to unload them, so if you could get a smoking deal value wise on say Ekholm and then create the space needed in separate deals, that could work out better for us depending on what we got back for the players we’re sending out.

Gavrikov seems like he could get expensive asset wise and possibly be a pure rental.

Chychrun would be the most expensive but if they’ve exhausted all the other options then they should bite the bullet and pay something similar to what you’ve suggested. He’s not the perfect fit but he’s a definitive top 4 guy added to the blue line this year and then moving forward you can evaluate how he fits and make more moves from there. He’ll likely hold most of the value of what you paid for him up until the deadline of his ufa season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad