Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | No Provorov talk… no, seriously (post 939)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Ekholm isn’t being traded Nashville is three points out. Maybe they move him if they really fall off but that seems like an off-season move.

His age scares me a little for a high cap hit even though I love the player.

Think 2.5 years of chychrun mid 4s cap is the best bang for your buck for multiple kicks at the can then you recomp the RD and make a choice between Bouchard and Barrie this off-season

Chychrun isn't re-signing here and is injured too much to pay the price for.
He has seemingly made it out that he wants to be on a contending team and we can give him that.

Seems presumptuous to assume he won’t resign and the good thing is we would have him for 2.5 years.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
He has pretty good defensive numbers. About as good as you'd expect from a #3D playing #1D minutes against elite #1D comp, I'd say.

The offense is pretty much non-existent, but getting 30% offensive zone starts on a team like Columbus will do that.
The organization is caught in a bit of a pickle here.

We have Kulak signed for 3 more years after this one, plus Broberg, who by all accounts should peak as a top 4 defenseman.

If you trade for Gavrikov, are you not pushing for an extension there as well? In which case, one of Kulak or Broberg HAVE to be moved in the offseason. And for reasons mentioned previously, I don't really see Kulak moving a year after Holland signed him.

On the other hand, trading a 1st+ for a rental seems like a mistake waiting to happen.

Seems like they're caught between a rock and a hard place.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Chychrun isn't re-signing here and is injured too much to pay the price for.

He doesnt have to sign here. 3 years with him on a bargain contract would help solidify our defence and show McDavid/Draisaitl that we are serious about contending.

The injuries are a valid concern but honestly I dont care if he is healthy during the regular season sl long as we have him for the playoffs.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

We have Kulak signed for 3 more years after this one, plus Broberg, who by all accounts should peak as a top 4 defenseman.

If you trade for Gavrikov, are you not pushing for an extension there as well? In which case, one of Kulak or Broberg HAVE to be moved in the offseason. And for reasons mentioned previously, I don't really see Kulak moving a year after Holland signed him.

On the other hand, trading a 1st+ for a rental seems like a mistake waiting to happen.

I wonder if they see Broberg on the right side as an option.

Reactions: McBooya42

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I wonder if they see Broberg on the right side as an option.
Yup. The real decision is between Barrie and Bouchard this summer. They’ll be able to talk extension with Barrie, and obviously know how much Bouchard wants as an RFA. If Bouchard wants a lot of cash and Barrie would sign a reasonable 2-3 year extension, it could create some interesting decisions for the Oilers front office.

Reactions: McBooya42

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I don't see Gavrikov or especially Edmundson as an improvement from any of our bottom 4 Dmen. They might be more physical, sure, but at this point we're just rotating out #5 Dmen. Neither of those players are top 3 dmen on a contender, and that is what we should be swinging for at this point. If you are talking a bonafide top 4 guy like Chychrun or Ekhlom, then swing for the fences. But trading a 1st in a deep draft +other assets for more of the same doesn't do it for me.

Holland should have been all over Lindholm or Weegar last year, even Giordano is still playing really good top 4 minutes. All the contenders are going for top Dmen, we need to do the same instead of tinkering around the bottom of the roster every year.
Chychrun and Ekholm are top pairing guys.

Gavrikov is easily a solid top 4 defenseman. He'd slot in well as a #3 on Edmonton bumping Kulak down.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

I disagree.

You need depth in the playoffs if we have 8 or 9 dmen we will probably use them. Obviously you dont want Broberg or Desharnais warming the bench for too long but if they are your 7th and 8th dmen that's not necessarily a bad thing come playoffs.

What makes the defence so interesting is that everyone is contributing something different right now. We are finally at the point where we can look to upgrade on some decent players.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I disagree.

You need depth in the playoffs if we have 8 or 9 dmen we will probably use them. Obviously you dont want Broberg or Desharnais warming the bench for too long but if they are your 7th and 8th dmen that's not necessarily a bad thing come playoffs.

What makes the defence so interesting is that everyone is contributing something different right now. We are finally at the point where we can look to upgrade on some decent players.
Was more thinking about the offseason and beyond.

Certainly we can’t be thinking a left side of Nurse, Kulak, Gavrikov AND Broberg is viable for 2023-24.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad