Proposal: Rumors & Proposals Thread | No More Hamonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
We've heard this for years yet we signed Pouilot, Sekera, Fayne and had no real issue keeping Talbot. These were all guys that a lot of other teams wanted.

Oh wow we signed those super studs did we? Wow plan the cup parade.

We had to add an extra year on Pouliot's contract to get him to sign here and were the highest bidder on Sekera (when SJ dropped out and didn't want to go so high in salary). Conclusion - we had to overpay on those guys to get them here. What do you think is going to happen for Lucic, Okposo, Eriksson?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

We had to add an extra year on Pouliot's contract to get him to sign here and were the highest bidder on Sekera (when SJ dropped out and didn't want to go so high in salary). Conclusion - we had to overpay on those guys to get them here. What do you think is going to happen for Lucic, Okposo, Eriksson?

Pouilot isn't really overpaid and he left money on the table. Sekera at 5.5mil is what 500k too much?

Most UFA's get overpaid whether they hit the market or are retained by their current team.

My point was the whole NTC/NMC isn't as bad as people make it out to be. There are guys that won't go to a lot of places. I also hardly think overpaying a guy 500k or even a mil a year changes their minds that much. You really think guys will come somewhere that is so bad for what in the end is very little?

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

So who from that free agency would you want instead of Sekera at 5.5M? Beauchemin? Martin? Green? looking at Sekera's production, he has played like a 5.5M dman. I am happy he's an Oiler. The rest are either over the hill or are a tad overrated.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Pouilot isn't really overpaid and he left money on the table. Sekera at 5.5mil is what 500k too much?

Most UFA's get overpaid whether they hit the market or are retained by their current team.

My point was the whole NTC/NMC isn't as bad as people make it out to be. There are guys that won't go to a lot of places. I also hardly think overpaying a guy 500k or even a mil a year changes their minds that much. You really think guys will come somewhere that is so bad for what in the end is very little?
Sekera left money on the table to come here too...

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Unless Boychuk was hurt they can't afford to move Hamonic. Although he was their most physical d-man so I don't know that Johnny was hurt.

The fact is Hamonic was their number 1 this year in the regular season, he split being #1 with Leddy in the playoffs. They are in a lot of trouble moving him with the decline of Boychuk.

Add to the fact that they have a couple key guys in Okposo and Nielsen set to become UFA's and the Isles could very well find themselves missing the playoffs next year

Could we afford to trade Pronger in 2007? Their needs might not matter. Regardless, we shouldn't be counting on Hamonic since we aren't the only team he could go to. It's less than 50% chance we get him

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I'm not sure where you're getting this info from. Pouliot turned down more money, and longer term to come here. He's also been 100% worth his contract

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013

Fayne was one of the top ufa dmen that year and Devils fans predicted he would signed with a team for 5 million a season. He signed with us for what the Bobby Mac predicted he would get iirc.

Sekera was one of the top 3 ufa dmen for last years ufa. Lots of teams still wanted him when we signed him. Again he too signed for what was predicted of him. Many people thought he would get way more.

Pouliot had offers for more money but took less to be here. Did we offer an extra year than any other team? Maybe but maybe not.

Conclusion: these players were good commodities in their ufa years and signed with us for basically what was expected. You always overpay in ufa as it's a bidding war but none of these were bad contracts at the time. These aren't Clarkson deals we are talking about.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't know that it's an issue this year, but FLA going to have an interesting couple of years with d-men. Campbell could very well be gone, but Gudbransson RFA this year, Ekblad/Petrovic RFA next year along with Kulikov being UFA. Then they have this Matheson kid now getting attention.

Not a bad situation to be in, but one that could result in some decent guys shaking loose.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet 2m2 minutes ago
Fresh from signing North Dakota's Drake Caggiula, Oilers have signed Forward Patrick Russell from St Cloud State.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
I'm not sure where you're getting this info from. Pouliot turned down more money, and longer term to come here. He's also been 100% worth his contract

B. Murray (Sens) made the comment saying the Sens offered Poo more money (per year but shorter term rumored to be 2 years) but weren't willing to go up to 4 years and then made sarcastic comment saying something along the lines of "and you have teams out there willing to tack on an extra year more than the agent is asking for". That is what I remember. Do you have a source for saying Poo turned down more money and more years from a team? I'd be very interested in that. I tried google searching the Murray comment but couldn't. But I found an article talking about signings that summer and both Poo and Fayne were considered overpayments:
https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2014/08/08/nhl_the_best_and_worst_offseason_moves.html

And regarding Sekera...just because HF thought he was going to get $6-7 mil or more doesn't mean he got offered that much money. Do any of you have sources to prove he got offered that much? Do any of you have any sources he was offered more than the Oilers signed him for?

No UFA got paid big $$ or term last year. GM's showed fiscal restraint. The Oilers offered Sekera the most and he signed with us. End of story. The narrative some of you are trying to spin is a joke.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hopefully these guys can eventually contribute to make up for some of our crap drafting in later rounds pre-Chiarelli.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

I would have to 100% see a definitive link to believe this assertion because I heard absolutely nothing about it at the time. The oilers over paid and over termed to get him and no he has not at all been worth his contract. He can score some points if he is handed buckets of top two line time and pp time. He generates very little him,self, takes tons of lazy penalties and for a guy with some supposed size and grit to his game is not too physical, he's slightly better than Purcell was, very similar and I'll be elated if Chia can find a way to get rid of him and his contract. No teams are going to be lining up to get him though.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I would have to 100% see a definitive link to believe this assertion because I heard absolutely nothing about it at the time. The oilers over paid and over termed to get him and no he has not at all been worth his contract. He can score some points if he is handed buckets of top two line time and pp time. He generates very little him,self, takes tons of lazy penalties and for a guy with some supposed size and grit to his game is not too physical, he's slightly better than Purcell was, very similar and I'll be elated if Chia can find a way to get rid of him and his contract. No teams are going to be lining up to get him though.

Well if you want to believe the Gregor rumor of Pouliot and Yak for ? in Anaheim, I bet you he can find some takers. But I feel Pouliot isn't a bad player to have. If the trade was right for us that we would upgrade a hole with him being the piece gone, I'd do it. Otherwise, I'm fine with him sticking around.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Chiarelli is doing an amazing job with the college free agents. Here is ISS's top 3 college free agents for this year right from their beginning of April top 100 list:

#1 Caggiula

#2 Benik (I think we signed him, he was on our farm last year for a bit)

#3 Russell

Nick Ellis was their #4 ranked goalie so still very good.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Found this online for Russell @ SBNCollegeHockey:

Danish second-year forward Patrick Russell is another free agent target worth watching. Russell is a bigger forward, listed at 6-1 205 lbs. He's not a terrific skater and doesn't play with the puck on his stick as often as you'd like, but is a dangerous offensive threat. One asset is that he has an extremely heavy, low wrist shot that is tough for goalies to stop and almost impossible for them to control. The other, more subtle thing he does well is that he is tremendous about moving when he doesn't have the puck to find himself space to work offensively. He excels at moving into the high slot at just the right moment to set himself up for a open shot, or getting to the front of the net just as the puck gets there, rather than getting there too early and drawing extra defensive attention. Defensively, he uses his big wingspan to be effective on the forecheck by taking away time and space for the opposition.

Sounds like a good add. Probably spends the year in the AHL.

I love seeing that he doesn't need the puck to be effective. We need a lot more of that kind of player.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

Danish second-year forward Patrick Russell is another free agent target worth watching. Russell is a bigger forward, listed at 6-1 205 lbs. He's not a terrific skater and doesn't play with the puck on his stick as often as you'd like, but is a dangerous offensive threat. One asset is that he has an extremely heavy, low wrist shot that is tough for goalies to stop and almost impossible for them to control. The other, more subtle thing he does well is that he is tremendous about moving when he doesn't have the puck to find himself space to work offensively. He excels at moving into the high slot at just the right moment to set himself up for a open shot, or getting to the front of the net just as the puck gets there, rather than getting there too early and drawing extra defensive attention. Defensively, he uses his big wingspan to be effective on the forecheck by taking away time and space for the opposition.

I love seeing that he doesn't need the puck to be effective. We need a lot more of that kind of player.

Looks like Chiarelli is putting his stamp on the AHL squad. I wonder what this means for RFA players like Pitlick and Kessy? There are only so many contracts they can add.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

The bolded = 40 goals alongside McDavid. I guess I can live with that ;)

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Chiarelli is doing an amazing job with the college free agents. Here is ISS's top 3 college free agents for this year right from their beginning of April top 100 list:

#1 Caggiula

#2 Benik (I think we signed him, he was on our farm last year for a bit)

#3 Russell

Nick Ellis was their #4 ranked goalie so still very good.

Benik probably convinced Russell into signing with Edmonton.. They have been linemates for 2 years and will probably be linemates in Bakersfield the next 2 seasons.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Benik probably convinced Russell into signing with Edmonton.. They have been linemates for 2 years and will probably be linemates in Bakersfield the next 2 seasons.

That's fine with me. I remember some people around here a couple weeks ago were complaining that Chia wasn't having much of an impact in college FA... He's signed the top 3 now so I'm very impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad