Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: Movie Poster Edition VII- "Deadline"

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I actually like JFresh. He'll admit when he's wrong, unlike Evolving Wild.

He isn't wrong on Klingberg. Good on the power play, more or less a dumpster fire defensively 5 v 5.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Looking at how we did with the trade deadline, I went and checked what our offseason would be like compared to say, Calgary's offseason.

Edmonton has 8.5M cap space with 15 guys signed with the key players needing signed are McLeod, Bouchard, Janmark, Kostin and Ryan.

Calgary has 1.3M in Cap Space with 18 players signed with key players needing signed are Lucic, Ritchie, Stecher and Stone.

While yes, we do have more players to sign, if we decide to keep most and let one or two walk, we probably could still have like 3-4M left over to upgrade where we need (assuming the cap stays at 1M increase). Calgary has to move players out if they want to try to upgrade. We also have much more friendly contracts to move out and we can easily change/upgrade compared to how Calgary could do.

I personally am very comfortable with our situation, and we got a solid core of players to make 2-3 runs easily. And with the cap going up, we could potentially turn this into 4 to 5+ runs as well. We got a nice foundation and we can build onto this. Let's just hope our prospect pool is ready to jump in when the time is right. But the future is bright for us!
That’s why I like the Ekholm move the most it puts us right up until McDavids deal is up. Realistically 3 runs at the cup in that time after this one.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Does JP have a trading card?
Last Year
1677884142790.png

This Year
1677884164694.png

Which shows he has gotten worse, has played against easier competition this year and has been worse as well. Strong defensively but can't produce worth a damn.

Now analytics guys see value cause they see the defense and his draft status and think he is a good bet to improve offensively. However its just as likely that he stays as a good bottom 6 defensive forward.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Interesting! I found multiple articles stating the opposite. I'd probably trust Allan Walsh over those though.
I thought the same too, I think it’s in the fine print of the cba, I only became aware of this from reading mouser’s posts

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Colorado has to be the prohibitive favourite if they get everyone back and healthy. They know how to win the whole thing now, and still have a solid core in their prime. Makar is the not so secret nuclear weapon to put them over the top.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Colorado doesn’t have the depth to come out of the central healthy. They’re already pretty banged up and they didn’t get any significant depth this week. I don’t see any team that we can’t beat in the west.
People are dismissing them because they're not at the top of the conference, but I think the fact that they're starting to heat up, even without Makar spells trouble for anyone else. And they still have plenty of depth, so they really didn't need to add.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
No because "ChArTs ArE tHe FiNaL wOrD iN aLl ThInGs HoCkEy"
I don’t think you know what analytics are.

People get so mad at charts and being presented with numbers.
Can players get better? Yes.
Do these charts show an accurate glimpse of a player. Yes.
If you look at the graphs on the right it shows the last 3 years. His defense has always been awful and this year it is worse. His offense has also taken a dip this year.

People get way to upset about numbers being presented to them. Are some of these guys takes bad? Absolutely.
But the numbers presented aren't their opinions.
This

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Often no, and the numbers presented are usually subjective bullshit.
This is not true. The exact percentages on Jfresh charts are subjective but the numbers behind the charts are not. In fact they're all objectively real things that happen on the ice. A Fenwick event is a real shot directed towards the net. A high danger chance is a real shot from the slot near the net. A DFF event is a real shot directed towards the net from a high danger area. A xGF event is a real shot directed at the net with value divided relative to distance from net and angle. A QoC event is a real line match against a certain line on the opposing team. A zone start is a real deployment of a player on ice for a faceoff in a certain zone.

Everything here is something that can objectively be observed and quantified. The only question is how do you want to measure it and how you contextualize the numbers.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Looking at how we did with the trade deadline, I went and checked what our offseason would be like compared to say, Calgary's offseason.

Edmonton has 8.5M cap space with 15 guys signed with the key players needing signed are McLeod, Bouchard, Janmark, Kostin and Ryan.

Calgary has 1.3M in Cap Space with 18 players signed with key players needing signed are Lucic, Ritchie, Stecher and Stone.

While yes, we do have more players to sign, if we decide to keep most and let one or two walk, we probably could still have like 3-4M left over to upgrade where we need (assuming the cap stays at 1M increase). Calgary has to move players out if they want to try to upgrade. We also have much more friendly contracts to move out and we can easily change/upgrade compared to how Calgary could do.

I personally am very comfortable with our situation, and we got a solid core of players to make 2-3 runs easily. And with the cap going up, we could potentially turn this into 4 to 5+ runs as well. We got a nice foundation and we can build onto this. Let's just hope our prospect pool is ready to jump in when the time is right. But the future is bright for us!
Have you included the money from expiring retentions/buyouts

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Last Year
View attachment 662516

This Year
View attachment 662517

Which shows he has gotten worse, has played against easier competition this year and has been worse as well. Strong defensively but can't produce worth a damn.

Now analytics guys see value cause they see the defense and his draft status and think he is a good bet to improve offensively. However its just as likely that he stays as a good bottom 6 defensive forward.
Good reply.

Reactions: Harry Curry

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I’ve seen player cards that are so far off from a qualified eye test that it boggles the mind.

Too many people use these as absolutes.
It’s for people reading hockey instead of watching hockey, imo of course. And that does not mean that people/posters using them aren’t better than I am in judging, that is not the point.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
It’s for people reading hockey instead of watching hockey, imo of course. And that does not mean that people/posters using them aren’t better than I am in judging, that is not the point.

Lol- I’d be mad too if I didn’t understand analytics too. No, they aren’t for people who like “reading” hockey vs “watching hockey”. Analytics is a tool for people to understand what is actually happening on ice. I mean- the last 2 cup winners are heavily invested into analytics- they must be more into reading hockey too

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

They're just a quick reference for how a guy is playing. Most of us have probably watched a guy like Klingberg play like ten shifts this year and maybe noticed him on three of them. The "eye test" is mostly just what you've heard other people say about a player when it comes to guys who aren't on the team you follow.

The charts give you a rough idea how a player has been doing over the past three seasons.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Lol- I’d be mad too if I didn’t understand analytics too. No, they aren’t for people who like “reading” hockey vs “watching hockey”. Analytics is a tool for people to understand what is actually happening on ice. I mean- the last 2 cup winners are heavily invested into analytics- they must be more into reading hockey too
I am not mad.

Fair enough as reply, my post was not very nice and I generalised too much. Sorry for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad