Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Lavoie Vs. Pederson Vs. Sutter Vs. Gagner Vs. Caggiula

Which of these players makes the team?

• Lavoie

Votes: 56 39.4%
  • Pederson

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Sutter

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Gagner

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • Caggiula

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Bourgault

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Petrov

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (specify in a post)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • None of them makes the team, we'll start with 11 forwards

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The major problem with RNH at 3C is we've never had the winger depth to properly fill out the top 9.

Not saying we do now, but certainly we never have in the past. Leads to one of McDrai getting hamstrung and then RNH might as well be in the top six. But I think it's a different story if you can find a productive pair for McDavid and Draisaitl.

Yeah I thought maybe we would see some bargain bin types of deals for good players to try and win a cup here to spread out the winger depth. Like a cheap Wheeler, Tatar, Kane, etc. but it hasnt really seemed to happen (guess it still could). But at this point, I think McDavid, Draisaitl, Kane, Hyman, RNH and Brown are the top 6 with little chance of changing.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I am not sure what your definition of horrific is. The Oilers last year were 5th in 5 vs 5 GF and 10th in GF% which while not great on the GF% front is certainly not horrific. And this is not just about McDavid and Draisaitl. When those two were not on the ice the team scored 74 goals and had 60 goals against for a GF% of 55.22%. When none of McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge or Hyman were on the ice they scored 45 goals and gave up 35 last year.

The trend of better 5 vs 5 results has been ongoing for a couple of years. Moreover, the results after the addition of Ekholm were even more pronounced though the sample size is of course smaller. After that trade the Oilers had the 4th highest 5 vs 5 GF% behind only Boston, LA and Florida.

Ohh you! You and your data be damned!! I want to rage!

Reactions: capazzo

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
My blame might be misplaced.
I recall Don Cherry donning a red wig and Hurricanes bath robe before a Stanley cup game in 06, but I cannot find a picture of this anywhere. Did I imagine this?!
You know....I honestly dont remember.
You could be right.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Is it even debatable that Kostin had a good shot? I mean a guy like Yamamoto shot absolute muffins. When you can beat a NHL goalie clean without a screen, odds are that you have a good shot.
Yamamoto should have at least 30 with the chances he had. It was time to move on

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I’m 52 and haven’t had gear on in four years and did have minor heart surgery this year but I think I’ve got an outside chance of being a big surprise in camp this year if I just get the call to attend.
Keep your phone charged. Sometimes the cell signal ain’t the best down your way. Say your prayers, eat your vitamins, and train hard. I’m looking to get a call for 5th line Center duties willing to chuck the knuckles

• Haha
Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
My blame might be misplaced.
I recall Don Cherry donning a red wig and Hurricanes bath robe before a Stanley cup game in 06, but I cannot find a picture of this anywhere. Did I imagine this?!
He did do this as a Mike Commodore tribute thing, don't recall which game tho

Reactions: ZJuice

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Nice to see that the Oilers captains' skates have begun in earnest.

Lots of these guys have been going pretty hard for some time now.

Connor wasn't joking when he mentioned at the end of the year he planned on working most the summer. Outside of that whole engagement time he's been out on the ice a lot.

Next summer though if he gets married....

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
We just went through this last week when Fourier took you to school on our 5v5 play both last season and in the playoffs. He provided actual numbers vs what you thought you saw at which point you disappeared like a fart in the wind.

Do we really have to do this again?
I’m sure it will just be another post that duul ignores or moves the goalposts on.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
So we got a new video coach. Jeremy Coupal sucked and the Oilers got rid of him, so this has to be an upgrade.

How did Coupal suck? Dude was legit good on reviewable plays. It was one of the brightest spots on the coaching staff imo.

Nice to see that the Oilers captains' skates have begun in earnest.

Any indication on whos all there?

Reactions: Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
How did Coupal suck? Dude was legit good on reviewable plays. It was one of the brightest spots on the coaching staff imo.

Any indication on whos all there?

I thought he was mostly solid making obvious calls but he made some blunders as well that got swept under the rug and never talked about. Or excused away at the moment. He had a reputation as a really good video coach, but I never bought the hype.

It’s interesting though, why did the Oilers part ways with Coupal if he was so good? And it’s not like Coupal was lining up to go somewhere else, he’s still unhired.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Ohh you! You and your data be damned!! I want to rage!
It's actually a pretty common refrain so the intention was not to single out dull. Once something is repeated enough it becomes ingrained in people's minds and it can be hard to counter. In this case, the numbers do present a convincing case that the Oilers are not the disaster 5 vs 5 that many people think they are. Now to be truthful, they won't win on their 5 vs 5 play alone. But so long as I am not missing something special team goals do still count.

Reactions: capazzo

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I thought he was mostly solid making obvious calls but he made some blunders as well that got swept under the rug and never talked about. Or excused away at the moment. He had a reputation as a really good video coach, but I never bought the hype.

It’s interesting though, why did the Oilers part ways with Coupal if he was so good? And it’s not like Coupal was lining up to go somewhere else, he’s still unhired.
Yeah, he didn’t suck.

You’re the only person on the site who thinks so.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton

Pretty sure all of the reports at the time said that Coupal left the Oilers, not the others way around.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Navx94

Jan 17, 2019
Kings look like a more complete roster on top of how they play us I would want to avoid them next playoffs.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Kings look like a more complete roster on top of how they play us I would want to avoid them next playoffs.

They are a good team but they still have issues. Their goaltending is iffy to say the least. They have less depth. McLellan is still their coach. We will see how Dubois impacts the team (I am personally not that much of a fan of him).

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Disagree. They lost some good depth for an overrated top 6C that is prone to entitled play and have questionable goaltending. Not enamoured with their other moves either. They will be a good team again but shouldn’t be the team to beat.

The Oilers shouldn’t be facing them in the first round again as the Oilers should be winning the division

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad