Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Kenny "The Gambler" Holland, You've Gotta Know When to Hold 'Em, Know When to Walk Away, Know When to Sit on Your Thumbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
We don't know if Merzlikins would waive his NTC to come to Edmonton. Let's assume he would.

To CBJ: Campbell, McLeod, Broberg and Edmonton's 2025 1st

To EDM: Merzlikins, Alex Texier and 4th in 2024

The biggest issue I see is that CBJ probably has better options available that would not entail receiving a terrible contract like Campbell's back. For example, they could deal with Buffalo, Chicago or Carolina and not have to receive such a terrible long-term anchor contract back in the trade.
I think he will waive for anyone to get out of the BJs

Reactions: Oilers

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Kahkonen was a product of Minnesota's system. Up until the first couple months this year the Wild were among the most condusive systems to play for goaltenders over the past decade. Its why goalies like Dubnyk, Stalock and Talbot thrived for years and then looked below average immediately befores and after their Wild tenure. Woodley's mentioned this a ton over the years and points at the Wild leading the league in expected goals against over that period.
Kahkonen has played well over the last month or so.

He has massively better numbers than Blackwood since the Sharks kind of woke up.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
He's a backup with 1B potential.
I don’t see it, he’s likely what he is at this point. Some goalies take longer to develop obviously but Skinner only succeeds when the team in front of him plays lights out, he rarely, if ever steals a game.

Reactions: frag2

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I don’t see it, he’s likely what he is at this point. Some goalies take longer to develop obviously but Skinner only succeeds when the team in front of him plays lights out, he rarely, if ever steals a game.
Which is exactly why I said he's a potential 1B.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Another fantastic Holland move lol

The worst part about this is that it was SOOOOO obvious that he wasn't going to be good after his 9 games. Why dress him beyond that? Just send him to the minors, allow his leg to heal, and not be on the hook for million in cap hit next year. He likely would have dominated the AHL, and gotten another contract next offseason, and we would have been clear of the cap hit next year. But NOPE, that blatantly obvious solution was apparently to hard for our GM to figure out. Just a disaster.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Call today on saros. call again tomorrow. keep calling till they tell you to eff off.
They have. Trotz says he's planning to extend him in the off-season. This is old news.

Another fantastic Holland move lol

They started taking fan calls on Spittin Chiclets and last week a caller asked how long it takes for a player to get back to speed when they miss significant time off (it was when Kane announced he signed in Detroit).

Ryan Whitney said that for players that miss a whole year, it could take about a year to get back to normal.

We should never have guaranteed that much money to Brown in his first year back. His base salary should have been it, and then the $3-4m contract should have been offered the year later.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Here's My 3 changes that I think push the Oilers into full contender mode

Campbell replaced by Merzlikins

Ceci replaced by Durzi

Brown replaced by Granlund

This team finds another level.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
They have. Trotz says he's planning to extend him in the off-season. This is old news.

They started taking fan calls on Spittin Chiclets and last week a caller asked how long it takes for a player to get back to speed when they miss significant time off (it was when Kane announced he signed in Detroit).

Ryan Whitney said that for players that miss a whole year, it could take about a year to get back to normal.

We should never have guaranteed that much money to Brown in his first year back. His base salary should have been it, and then the $3-4m contract should have been offered the year later.

I mean I get guaranteed money blah blah but ffs, not 10 games as the cutoff for the entire thing. Stagger the bonuses even. Hit 10 games, 1M; 30 games, 1M; 50 games etc etc

But Holland just loves to get ripped off

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Call today on saros. call again tomorrow. keep calling till they tell you to eff off.
There’s a documentary called the defiant ones about music producer Jimmy Iovine and his work in the music industry with a focus on the creation of his own label called Interscope. In the early days he became fixated on signing Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails who were already under contract to another label headed by a gentleman named Steve Gotlieb.

Iovine basically locked himself in the bathe room for a month straight, essentially accosting Gotlieb daily, annoying him endlessly wherever he could and just all around making Gotliebs life hell until he realized that he was never going to see any sort of reprieve until he signed over Reznors deal, which he eventually did.

Your comment reminded me of this haha

destro909

Jan 3, 2008
Here's My 3 changes that I think push the Oilers into full contender mode

Campbell replaced by Merzlikins

Ceci replaced by Durzi

Brown replaced by Granlund

This team finds another level.

ARI is currently in a playoff spot and Durzi is an RFA RD who is playing the most minutes for them. There is no way they are trading him right now

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The Campbell contract is absolutely soul crushing. Thinking this team can just fob off $15,000,000 cap hit ($13,500,000 real money) owing is Fantasy Hockey stuff. There's maybe three paths on this...

Buy-Out:
A buy-out is probably most realistic although it f***s the team this year to make meaningful change while carrying his salary in the minors. Team saves its few assets and pays down Campbell forever via The Brick layaway plan.

Mega Asset Chips To The Middle Deal:
Merzlikins $15,775,000 owing after this season (3 years) // Campbell $13,500,000 owing (3 years)
I personally think Merzlikins would thrive in a new winning environment. But C-Bus could likely find a better deal just opting to eat up to 1/2 of Merzlikins' contract ($7,887,500) and cheaper financially than taking on Campbell + $5,612,500 real money. Kekelainen is likely dead man walking so doing a big money deal for an AHL replacement level goaltender is likely a hard sell. Gonna cost Oilers big.

Other mega asset options Askarov (short-term risk he's not quite 1B NHL ready but prospective cornerstone 1A for a decade); Saros (wheel barrel of assets this team doesn't have); etc. Or find a cheap, marginal option like Reimer.

Toxic Contract/Player Exchange:
Something like a Vlasic (ideally + goalie) for Campbell + Kulak deal. Thoughts and Prayer that a faded pedigree malcontent in San Jose can give the Oilers third pairing, 12 minute ice-time that can be bought out next season (or even kept if motivated & effective). Could provide an onboard path for Broberg next season. Frees Oilers to use limited assets for positional upgrades.

In season trades a third of the season in are fairly rare. In season trades for a massively underperforming and overhyped team with no cap space and a $15 million anchor contract is like never country. This is beyond anything Ken Holland has done in 25 years on the job and a true test of Jeff Jackson's new agey thinking of navigating NHL business.

I'd like to believe that Santa Claus is coming. But see above...

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
None of what I said means “potential”. He’s a backup…full stop.
No he’s young and has still played less than 150 NHL games. This isn’t some 31 year old goalie who’s been playing pro for over 8 years. He’s in his first full NHL season. He’s still got 1B potential.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
ARI is currently in a playoff spot and Durzi is an RFA RD who is playing the most minutes for them. There is no way they are trading him right now

100%

Arizona's on an upward trajectory and Durzi's done everything they've hoped and more. He's arguably been their most valuable skater and along with Keller and Cooley, in the 'untouchable' grouping.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think Kulak is a good player.

I think if Broberg was a better player, he would be playing ahead of Kulak.
Kulak is a good player. But he's an expensive one. And teams that are struggling to find cap dollars to address organizational shortfalls can't afford to pay a bottom pairing defender $3m.

Look around the league. Who else does that?

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
The Campbell contract is absolutely soul crushing. Thinking this team can just fob off $15,000,000 cap hit ($13,500,000 real money) owing is Fantasy Hockey stuff. There's maybe three paths on this...

Buy-Out:
A buy-out is probably most realistic although it f***s the team this year to make meaningful change while carrying his salary in the minors. Team saves its few assets and pays down Campbell forever via The Brick layaway plan.

Mega Asset Chips To The Middle Deal:
Merzlikins $15,775,000 owing after this season (3 years) // Campbell $13,500,000 owing (3 years)
I personally think Merzlikins would thrive in a new winning environment. But C-Bus could likely find a better deal just opting to eat up to 1/2 of Merzlikins' contract ($7,887,500) and cheaper financially than taking on Campbell + $5,612,500 real money. Kekelainen is likely dead man walking so doing a big money deal for an AHL replacement level goaltender is likely a hard sell. Gonna cost Oilers big.

Other mega asset options Askarov (short-term risk he's not quite 1B NHL ready but prospective cornerstone 1A for a decade); Saros (wheel barrel of assets this team doesn't have); etc. Or find a cheap, marginal option like Reimer.

Toxic Contract/Player Exchange:
Something like a Vlasic (ideally + goalie) for Campbell + Kulak deal. Thoughts and Prayer that a faded pedigree malcontent in San Jose can give the Oilers third pairing, 12 minute ice-time that can be bought out next season (or even kept if motivated & effective). Could provide an onboard path for Broberg next season. Frees Oilers to use limited assets for positional upgrades.

In season trades a third of the season in are fairly rare. In season trades for a massively underperforming and overhyped team with no cap space and a $15 million anchor contract is like never country. This is beyond anything Ken Holland has done in 25 years on the job and a true test of Jeff Jackson's new agey thinking of navigating NHL business.

I'd like to believe that Santa Claus is coming. But see above...
I agree on most of your points. On the Merzlikens deal- the Blue Jackets wouldn’t take on Campbell’s full salary- just his buy out amount- so they would save quite a bit of money.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The worst part about this is that it was SOOOOO obvious that he wasn't going to be good after his 9 games. Why dress him beyond that? Just send him to the minors, allow his leg to heal, and not be on the hook for million in cap hit next year. He likely would have dominated the AHL, and gotten another contract next offseason, and we would have been clear of the cap hit next year. But NOPE, that blatantly obvious solution was apparently to hard for our GM to figure out. Just a disaster.
He's a stubborn old fool. Brown is the square peg Holland kept trying to smash into a round hole, which is his contract.

Another catastrophic blunder of dead weight eating valuable cap space.

It'd be nice to have a section in the CBA which allows one contract per year to be scrubbed because the player isn't meeting expectations...basically, a nice way of saying fired and becoming a UFA but the catch is it cannot be on a caphit which exceeds $5 million. No buyouts, no cap penalties, just straight up off the books. It's a pipedream though as the NHLPA would never go for anything outside of guaranteed money contracts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad