Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Kenny "The Gambler" Holland, You've Gotta Know When to Hold 'Em, Know When to Walk Away, Know When to Sit on Your Thumbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
We don't know if Merzlikins would waive his NTC to come to Edmonton. Let's assume he would.

To CBJ: Campbell, McLeod, Broberg and Edmonton's 2025 1st

To EDM: Merzlikins, Alex Texier and 4th in 2024

The biggest issue I see is that CBJ probably has better options available that would not entail receiving a terrible contract like Campbell's back. For example, they could deal with Buffalo, Chicago or Carolina and not have to receive such a terrible long-term anchor contract back in the trade.
Yep we’re going to need to paaaaay.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Carolina is kind of in a tricky spot too because what happens if Andersen is able to play again?

Yep we’re going to need to paaaaay.

To be honest that listed price isn't that unreasonable.

We paid a 1st + 3rd to get Roloson in 2006.

It wasn't "cheap". We paid a lot to get Ekholm last trade deadline too.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Carolina is kind of in a tricky spot too because what happens if Andersen is able to play again?

To be honest that listed price isn't that unreasonable.

We paid a 1st + 3rd to get Roloson in 2006.

It wasn't "cheap". We paid a lot to get Ekholm last trade deadline too.
I’m okay with paying a steep price. Our goaltending is our Achilles heel and we will not have success until it is addressed.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Trade the farm for a goalie. Trade Bourgault. Trade Lavoie. Trade our first rounder for the next 3 seasons - none of it will matter when our cup window is closed and this team is smoldering ashes
Not sure you thought this through. We do and will need even more next year guys on ELCs otherwise your whole 3rd and 4th line will have to be AHLers to hit the cap.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Have you guys discussed Anton Forsberg at all? Personally i like him and he has been pretty decent relative to sens overall
Something tells me Holland isn’t about to pay to acquire a goalie he put on waivers 2 seasons ago.

Honestly at this point though it’s hard not to be livid as a fan. Skinner gives us the goaltending we need for 8 games straight, and we almost climbed back into a playoff spot.

That streak started November 20th, and the morning of we looked like a sure contender for a top 3 draft pick with basically everyone in hockey saying the oilers are involved in trying to get a goalie from a handful of teams to turn it around. Here we are a full month later and the urgency just seems to have disappeared. I wonder what would have happened if Skinner hadn’t played well for that stretch? Would we have had a new goalie by now? Would we have just given up?

How is it acceptable to continue expecting this sophomore goalie who’s shown he can’t carry the entire load, to suddenly become an NHL starter, with his only “relief” being a veteran AHL level goalie who’s been okay, and according to holland, Campbell is expected to get another shot in the NHL.

What even is this organization.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Not sure you thought this through. We do and will need even more next year guys on ELCs otherwise your whole 3rd and 4th line will have to be AHLers to hit the cap.
Disagree - I think we can fill out the top 9 pretty easy even in a crunch, though sure the 3rd line isn't going to be anything great. Beyond that, I'd rather have an AHL quality 4th line than an AHL quality starting goaltender.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
So many are desperate to empty their bank accounts for more mediocrity that would inevitably end up suffering a similar performance behind the flood of wide open slot chances and odd man rushes Oilers goalies continue to face. It’s one thing to turn in average performances behind a team with no expectations, it’s completely different when expectations are sky high but the team is still leaky defensively.

I don’t think any of the AZ goalies are available at this time, Gibson isn’t coming here, Montreal isn’t trading Montembault which is the only one who would be worth a look. Gibson isn’t waving for Edmonton so it doesn’t leave many options at this time if we are being realistic about things.

If I was gambling on another mediocre goalie I’d probably go with Kahkonen from SJ. He put up good numbers before being traded to the Sharks and he’s put up not horrific numbers behind a really bad SJ team with a legitimate AHL blue line. He’d be cheap to acquire, cheap to fit in and his contract expires at the end of the year. Because of that, if he’s not the answer you’re not completely sunk and still have some assets if a better option does hit the market later on.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Oh look. Jersey is in talks with Anaheim in acquiring Gibson and Seattle is looking at the Montreal goalies. Meanwhile, Holland is still evaluating our goaltending situation on a week to week basis.
Jersey have a $9 million defenseman in LTIR and a better prospect system to work from. Kraken have a $5.5 million forward in LTIR and all their draft picks except a 5th rounder and extra 3rd and 7th round pick. Neither has a $15 million AHL goaltender clogging up their cap and a shitty prospect pipeline and limited draft collateral to work from.

"Houston we have a Jack Campbell size problem"

Reactions: Faelko

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Edmonton Oilers defenceman Philip Broberg appears to be gaining trade value while playing in the AHL.

Broberg was assigned to the AHL on Dec. 7, two days after Oilers general manager Ken Holland denied a report that defenceman's agent, Darrin Ferris, had been granted permission to search for a trade.

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reports a trade still seems to be most likely outcome for Broberg, but notes he could be moved as part of a bigger deal.

"It remains a curious situation for Philip Broberg. As we know, they're in win-now mode and he couldn't get into the lineup at the NHL level," Dreger said on Insider Trading. "Yet, you look at his [AHL] numbers – he's playing in Bakersfield and he's logging between 25 and 27 minutes per game. He wants to get back into the NHL. That's not likely in Edmonton, unless there's an injury, so trade seems the most likely."

"But here's an interesting twist: maybe it's not just Philip Broberg for an asset coming back to the Edmonton Oilers. Maybe Broberg becomes the sweetener so they can also move Jack Campbell's contract to free up a little bit of cap space. So, Broberg is a commodity, and it seems like that commodity is growing higher day by day."

Selected eighth overall by the Oilers in 2019 draft, Broberg has no points in 10 games with Edmonton this season and one goal and four points in eight AHL games.
Only in Edmonton do they have a bum like Kulak blocking a high drafted Dman from getting NHL minutes.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
So many are desperate to empty their bank accounts for more mediocrity that would inevitably end up suffering a similar performance behind the flood of wide open slot chances and odd man rushes Oilers goalies continue to face. It’s one thing to turn in average performances behind a team with no expectations, it’s completely different when expectations are sky high but the team is still leaky defensively.

I don’t think any of the AZ goalies are available at this time, Gibson isn’t coming here, Montreal isn’t trading Montembault which is the only one who would be worth a look. Gibson isn’t waving for Edmonton so it doesn’t leave many options at this time if we are being realistic about things.

If I was gambling on another mediocre goalie I’d probably go with Kahkonen from SJ. He put up good numbers before being traded to the Sharks and he’s put up not horrific numbers behind a really bad SJ team with a legitimate AHL blue line. He’d be cheap to acquire, cheap to fit in and his contract expires at the end of the year. Because of that, if he’s not the answer you’re not completely sunk and still have some assets if a better option does hit the market later on.

Kahkonen was a product of Minnesota's system. Up until the first couple months this year the Wild were among the most condusive systems to play for goaltenders over the past decade. Its why goalies like Dubnyk, Stalock and Talbot thrived for years and then looked below average immediately befores and after their Wild tenure. Woodley's mentioned this a ton over the years and points at the Wild leading the league in expected goals against over that period.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I just don’t get Holland has done Dick all to help the roster. The fact they look at it and think it’s fine is baffling

Goaltending is balls. We need a top 4 defender. Connor Brown gets more than zero NHL ice time and that needs to change, he can’t play at this level right now. Literally sucks the offense out of everyone around him. Still a top 6 winger for Drai short.
The third line is shit, teams running a first line and a 4th line.

I mean I get it, he only really has a 1st to move but that’s the most valuable thing in the world! That pick could be anything! It could be what we need to help the roster today!….but not for 5-7 business years.

Campbell and Brown failing and pretty much every prospect after the McDavid draft busting has lead us to a situation where we don’t have a good team and we don’t have the pieces to get to a good team.

Maybe he thinks the answer is in the room because if it’s not, then well there is no answer lol.

You know Holland will do whatever it takes to hold onto Soup and Brown for as long as possible. Trading either would mean admitting to making a mistake and I dont see Holland as the type to ever do that. Old senile fart

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Something tells me Holland isn’t about to pay to acquire a goalie he put on waivers 2 seasons ago.

Honestly at this point though it’s hard not to be livid as a fan. Skinner gives us the goaltending we need for 8 games straight, and we almost climbed back into a playoff spot.

That streak started November 20th, and the morning of we looked like a sure contender for a top 3 draft pick with basically everyone in hockey saying the oilers are involved in trying to get a goalie from a handful of teams to turn it around. Here we are a full month later and the urgency just seems to have disappeared. I wonder what would have happened if Skinner hadn’t played well for that stretch? Would we have had a new goalie by now? Would we have just given up?

How is it acceptable to continue expecting this sophomore goalie who’s shown he can’t carry the entire load, to suddenly become an NHL starter, with his only “relief” being a veteran AHL level goalie who’s been okay, and according to holland, Campbell is expected to get another shot in the NHL.

What even is this organization.
Yeah for sure.. an 8 game winning streak was great and desperately needed - i wonder how management took it. I would hope it didnt make them say oh here we are.. should be good now

I dont think the waiver thing matters unless it is an ego thing (agaim hope not)..players change trajectory all the time. He was an interesting name i thought of last night watchimg the sens getting dick kicked in the third

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
For whoever can actually understand the CBA.

Doesn't this Campbell situation cry out for getting 2 teams involved with taking on his cap hit? Isn't there a tool where we can use 2 other teams to take on some of his cap hit for compensation?

Are we able to involve 2 teams and then have that final team buyout Campbell?

Just seems like a situation where NBA GMs would figure out a complicated but legal way to deal with it.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Disagree - I think we can fill out the top 9 pretty easy even in a crunch, though sure the 3rd line isn't going to be anything great. Beyond that, I'd rather have an AHL quality 4th line than an AHL quality starting goaltender.
Interesting how we have so many on here complaining about McLeod, Ryan, Foegle, Gagner, etc. and their lack of production but you would be happy with two lines made up of Lane Pederson, Brad Malone, Seth Griffith, Greg McKegg, and Drake Cagguila as our bottom 6.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think Kulak is a good player.

I think if Broberg was a better player, he would be playing ahead of Kulak.
Kulak makes to much to be on the bottom pairing and has been our worst defender this year despite getting easier minutes. If the coaching staff gives some confidence to Broberg and plays him full time he'll easily become a better player then Kulak. Cup or bust shouldn't mean giving over priced veteran players like Kulak, Foegele and Brown minutes over young, hungry players.

Reactions: gordonhught

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023

Doesn't this Campbell situation cry out for getting 2 teams involved with taking on his cap hit? Isn't there a tool where we can use 2 other teams to take on some of his cap hit for compensation?

Just seems like a situation where NBA GMs would figure out a complicated but legal way to deal with it.
That would be too complicated for us. We do 1 for 1's etc

• Haha
Reactions: frag2

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Kahkonen was a product of Minnesota's system. Up until the first couple months this year the Wild were among the most condusive systems to play for goaltenders over the past decade. Its why goalies like Dubnyk, Stalock and Talbot thrived for years and then looked below average immediately befores and after their Wild tenure. Woodley's mentioned this a ton over the years and points at the Wild leading the league in expected goals against over that period.
What about this year? He’s hovering around .900 with some decent expected save numbers.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

Okay, talked to a friend. Here is my understanding:

(1) a team can retain 50% max of what the salary is on the books;
(2) only 2 teams can retain on the same contract
(3) The max amount that can be retained is 75% of the actual contract. So Team A retains 50%, Team B retains 25%;
(4) Can't acquire the player in a trade if you've retained (so can't trade through 2 teams to get the player back at a cheaper hit)

So I *think* we could trade Campbell to Team A, keep $2.75m, Team B takes on $1.375m for compensation, then trades him to Team C, who then has Campbell at $1.375m.

I am not 100% clear but I think then if Team C buys out Campbell's contract, we do the buyout based on our 50%.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Interesting how we have so many on here complaining about McLeod, Ryan, Foegle, Gagner, etc. and their lack of production but you would be happy with two lines made up of Lane Pederson, Brad Malone, Seth Griffith, Greg McKegg, and Drake Cagguila as our bottom 6.
Well good thing I'm not "so many on here" then. Ryan and Mcleod are both signed next year. So there are your two centres for the bottom 6. Hamblin will take a pro deal at under a million, find a couple of other guys and there we go.

My argument was - I'd trade some of our best prospects for a solid starting goalie because that is a greater need than some ELC bottom 6 wingers.

What's your solution, by the way?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think Kulak is a good player.

I think if Broberg was a better player, he would be playing ahead of Kulak.
I think Kulak looks like a good player, but got his spot because contract and past performance.

There's nothing to suggest, with his ice time and role, that Broberg or Gleason can't play his minutes at a fraction of the price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad