Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Is Our Roster Really Set Already Once McLeod Signs?

Is Our Roster Set With McLeod?

• Yes, No More Cap = No More Moves

Votes: 27 20.0%
  • No, There Will Be 1 Trade or Signing

Votes: 71 52.6%
  • No, There Will Be 2 or More Trades or Signings

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • No, Some Roster Players Will Be Waived

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The draft and develop only works if your team can draft and develop. For a team like Calgary, they're terrible at it. I doubt the organization wants a rebuild because of many reason and one of that reason is a total rebuild is usually the last thing teams want from a financial point of view and drafting and developing are not guaranteed. Look at the Oilers, we essentially failed 2 rebuilds(Gagner era and Hall era) and still trying to figure our rebuild #3(McDavid era). Our entire rebuild has been like 15 years.

I agree

for me, the rebuild started on Feb 27th 2007 with the Ryan Smyth trade

but for the first few years the powers that be never really embraced the rebuild and many of the fans did not as well

Contracts to Horcoff, Penner, Souray and others prove that they tried to rebuild on the fly.

Oiler fans were part of the problem. They kept selling out Northlands every night--I know a couple of guys on this board "know" people who were involved with the group that owned it before selling to Katz and the few stories I heard to the logic they had used was a bit crazy and that was the problem

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
The issue is it is not a one for one trade off.

The salary difference, and the trade assets make it much closer than a one for one comparison.

When you’re talking about which player is better, that other stuff doesn’t matter.

It’s not a one-for-one trade off because they weren’t traded for each other. Which means it hardly seems relevant to bring it up.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
It is perfectly legal. These sorts of double retention trades have been done multiple times.
Is there not a maximum 50% AAV/salary requirement?

Does his example not break that rule?

Edit: It appears the way the rule is written that it may be taken either way by the league at any given time.

Reactions: oilers'72

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Much as I like Patrick Kane I can’t for the life of me understand why so many people want this to happen instead of trying to shore up the defender, which seems like a far, far bigger need than another top six scorer.
We can only respond to the rumors that are out there, there is some noise about Kane and the Oilers and none about any defensive trades(due to the Oilers likely being set there even if fans don't like it).

Regardless, Kane is one of the best players in the league, there isn't any defenseman even remotely in his league when it comes to on ice impact rumored to be available, let alone rumored to be potentially available to the Oilers. So of course Oiler fans want the Kane thing to happen, it would be amazing.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
He’s arguing as if the Flames turned down a trade for Bedard. There’s no way to guarantee that without getting every lottery pick, so his point that the Flames picked Huberdeau, Kadri and Weegar over Bedard seems pretty silly
Crazy that the Flames turned down Bedard for those players. What are the Flames thinking?

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
So here are my latest thoughts on the idea of adding Kane. The way I see it, you add Patrick Kane ONLY if Broberg has a great rookie year and helps make our defense better. Otherwise you're probably making a mistake and you should be trading the assets you would use to get him for defensive help if Broberg struggles.

"But Oil Drops! Colorado won the cup because they scored a bunch and we can do what they did if we get Kane!" you may say. YES, but they also had Makar, Toews, Girard, etc on their back end. Their defense was stacked and their only real weakness was in net. Our goaltending should be better but our defense wasn't that good (though serviceable) last year and will be worse without Keith unless Broberg turns into a monster right out of the gate.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
He’s arguing as if the Flames turned down a trade for Bedard. There’s no way to guarantee that without getting every lottery pick, so his point that the Flames picked Huberdeau, Kadri and Weegar over Bedard seems pretty silly
The Flames didn't turn down a trade or chance at Bedard. They buried it. They had that choice of going after Bedard like the rest of the lottery teams but they didn't. So essentially he chose 3 NHL players over fantasy and potential like any GM would.

The Flames also work with their strength which is through trading. Why try to draft and develop and do a full rebuild when they're terrible at it?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
A goal scoring Gaudreau. We will see how it all translates to the NHL. Right now the WHL and WJC is waterdowned. Hard to really gauge just how good is he. Saying he's the next McDavid is premature

He doesn't even play like McDavid

Reactions: Canovin

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
The Flames didn't turn out a trade or chance at Bedard. They buried it. They had that choice of going after Bedard like the rest of the lottery teams but they didn't. So essentially he chose 3 NHL players over fantasy and potential like any GM would.

So is your argument that GMs would turn it down because the odds are so small or because “115 points roflcopter”, because one makes sense and the other is asinine.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So is your argument that GMs would turn it down because the odds are so small or because “115 points roflcopter”, because one makes sense and the other is asinine.
Yes the odds are so small to get Bedard and the fact that maybe he could potentially bust played a role. Why try to tear down your entire team for Bedard just so that one day he might become a Huberdeau?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Exactly. Who needs Bedard when you can have Huberdeau for the next 8 years.
Exactly! Who needs Bedard on a shitty rebuilding team that might last a decade and potentially walk at UFA when you can watch Huberdeau, Kadri and Weegar on a competitive team

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I've probably watched more of Nazem Kadri than most here since he played his junior hockey in Kitchener and in London. I also watched him cut his teeth with the Leafs since living where I do you get every Leaf game on TV. So I am reasonably confident in my opinion of this guy.

People don't fear Kadri. That's flat out nonsense. Kadri is a dirty player for sure but this is not the 80's. NHL player's don't change their game because of it.

Kadri struggled early in the NHL and was often in the dog house because he was very undisciplined. I will give him credit that he did work to add more to his game but the sense that some have concerning Kadri's defensive game is more of a myth. Much of that stems from a couple of games where he had some success vs McDavid in 2018/2019 which was probably his best statistical year defensively. But he was playing on Toronto's third line with Marleau and Kapanen, two guys who are both very good defensively. He also had teh difficulty of his assignments reduced a fair bit as he played mostly vs bottom 6 opposition. Prior to the that season, going back to 2015-2016 he did often play on the Leaf's "shutdown" line. But he always had guys like Marleau, Grabner and Komorov to help carry the load. Typically though his line got scored on a fair bit and generally more than they scored.

Two things you can answer for me... Your previous post was about Nuge making mistakes when the game is on the line. How is it that you are ignoring that one of the biggest complaints against Kadri is his propensity to do stupid things that costs his team at the worst possible times? Secondly, if he is so effective defensively why is it that none of his coaches have ever seen fit to have him pk. I mean it would seem natural to have the center of your shutdown line pk'ing if he was really the guy driving the bus in that role don't you think. Yet in three years in that role he played a total of 10 minutes on the pk while his usual line mates combined for about 800 minutes on the pk.

Kadri is a skilled hockey player. I'd be happy to have him. But he is also a pretty selfish hockey player both in terms of how he interacts with his teammates on the ice and his lack of discipline at key times. When Kadri has the puck it is his. He does not like to share. In that regard he is almost 180 degrees opposite form Nuge.
Reasonable post. Kadri is a jerk and certainly not a 1st line center but if it's a choice between Kadri and RNH as either 2nd or third-line center I'd pick Kadri. If Kadri was to move to the second line wing I'd probably select RNH as a second line winger over Kadri.

You make a good point which is RNH is a playmaker and Kadri is more dogged when taking the puck to the net. Generally I would agree that the playmaker should be the pivot and the guy who takes the puck to the net should be the winger (I'd use Evander Kane as an example of a player who takes the puck to the net making him an excellent winger) but in this sample case I still prefer Kadri as the center. And again, Kadri should not be a teams top center.

RNH is a good positional player which is key for a center but there is a physical aspect to coverage at center and I don't believe RNH is the best option at third line center because of this. This does lead to breakdowns late in games when teams pressure to keep zone time alive. Less physical players tend to get eaten up. The third period push has always been an aspect of Sutter hockey.

RNH should be Draisaitl's permanent winger. Working the give and go between Draisaitl and Nuge could be an awe inspiring facet for Edmonton Oilers hockey. RNH is great at that bump pass and forwarding the puck. Play the player to his strengths. I guess we differ in what we see as the player's strengths.

I can't remember the cap concerns from the time period when Kadri got moved out of Toronto but I think the fan base was fed up with him getting suspended in the playoffs. Other than that he was a good player for the Leafs.

There have been times when I hated Kadri because of his physical plays but that generally tells me I would appreciate that player more if he was playing for my club.
Come on. Players “fear lining up against” Nazem Kadri?
They fear getting smashed into the boards and getting injured. This is a reasonable fear. I can picture Yamamoto getting smashed into the boards by Kadri. It is understandable Yamamoto would try to avoid this.
I prefer to look at tangibles. Like the way they play.
Make a poll on the poll board where the combined intellectual power of HF boards can make a democratic decision.
In the cap era, when you get a $7M contract, you have to put up points to earn that salary. I don't care how hard nosed a guy is, or how good away from the puck he is (Nuge is better away from the puck anyway).
Make it a double question poll. Question #1, which player do you prefer at the center position & question #2, which player would you prefer when taking into accounts their respective contracts.

I think Kadri would win question #1 and RNH would win question #2.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The draft and develop only works if your team can draft and develop. For a team like Calgary, they're terrible at it. I doubt the organization wants a rebuild because of many reason and one of that reason is a total rebuild is usually the last thing teams want from a financial point of view and drafting and developing are not guaranteed. Look at the Oilers, we essentially failed 2 rebuilds(Gagner era and Hall era) and still trying to figure our rebuild #3(McDavid era). Our entire rebuild has been like 15 years.
If you look at the Edmonton Oilers, it's pretty easy to see why one era stands well above the rest. An established core built from elite Cs, two high quality D, several supporting Ws and five-plus years of 1st round calibre draft talent still breaking in. One era drafted well, the others didn't.

If the Oilers hadn't traded for Reinhart and decided to flip Hall and Eberle for futures, would that have been considered a 'rebuild' compared to what they actually did?

To be very straightforward, if your team can't draft and develop, your team will never win anything in professional sports. In hockey it's the most effective way to possess elite talent. It provides your team with cost-controlled players. And in its most basic sense, it provides your team with highly valuable trade capital.

Through the draft is where players as assets provide the most value. As a $10.5m winger, even Huberdeau is arguably an immovable asset.

The path Calgary is taking is the one rarely traveled. Because to me, it's just prolonging the inevitable rebuild. And that rebuild begins in the middle of those long-term deals when Huby and Kadri are in deep regression.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Kadri struggled early in the NHL and was often in the dog house because he was very undisciplined. I will give him credit that he did work to add more to his game but the sense that some have concerning Kadri's defensive game is more of a myth. Much of that stems from a couple of games where he had some success vs McDavid in 2018/2019 which was probably his best statistical year defensively. But he was playing on Toronto's third line with Marleau and Kapanen, two guys who are both very good defensively. He also had teh difficulty of his assignments reduced a fair bit as he played mostly vs bottom 6 opposition. Prior to the that season, going back to 2015-2016 he did often play on the Leaf's "shutdown" line. But he always had guys like Marleau, Grabner and Komorov to help carry the load. Typically though his line got scored on a fair bit and generally more than they scored.
I'll even go deeper than that because I vividly remember the game. I was there.

This game created a massive myth that Kadri was some two way wizard and it stuck with people for years.

Just look at that clip and look how much bigger Kadri was than McDavid. That isn't the case anymore.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

This game created a massive myth that Kadri was some two way wizard and it stuck with people for years.

Just look at that clip and look how much bigger Kadri was than McDavid. That isn't the case anymore.

Kadri also got away with murder in that game. One of the worst officiated games I've seen in an Oilers game since McDavid has been here and that is a very high bar.

The officiating in that game was so poor and it got so much publicity that I'm certain that the rest of the league looked at that as a template for handling McDavid. The "well they obviously aren't going to call everything on him" rule that has been a disease on the game recently.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

It's this image that got people thinking Kadri was McDavid's kryptonite lol
If you look at the Edmonton Oilers, it's pretty easy to see why one era stands well above the rest. An established core built from elite Cs, two high quality D, several supporting Ws and five-plus years of 1st round calibre draft talent still breaking in. One era drafted well, the others didn't.

If the Oilers hadn't traded for Reinhart and decided to flip Hall and Eberle for futures, would that have been considered a 'rebuild' compared to what they actually did?

To be very straightforward, if your team can't draft and develop, your team will never win anything in professional sports. In hockey it's the most effective way to possess elite talent. It provides your team with cost-controlled players. And in its most basic sense, it provides your team with highly valuable trade capital.

Through the draft is where players as assets provide the most value. As a $10.5m winger, even Huberdeau is arguably an immovable asset.

The path Calgary is taking is the one rarely traveled. Because to me, it's just prolonging the inevitable rebuild. And that rebuild begins in the middle of those long-term deals when Huby and Kadri are in deep regression.
McDavid's era was the longest rebuild even tho it's the proper rebuild.

Gagner era lasted 3 years. Hall era lasted 5 years. McDavid era has been 7 years.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
with the JG contract with the flames the fact there is 61.5 in signing bonuses that crack me up

Jonathan Huberdeau signed a 8 year, $84,000,000 contract with the Calgary Flames on Aug. 4, 2022. The contract has a cap hit of $10,500,000.
SEASONCLAUSECAP HIT
Tooltip
AAV
Tooltip
P. BONUSES
Tooltip
S. BONUSES
Tooltip
BASE SALARY
Tooltip
TOTAL SALARY
Tooltip
MINORS SAL
Tooltip
2023-24NMC$10,500,000$10,500,000$0$7,000,000$3,500,000$10,500,000$10,500,000
2024-25NMC$10,500,000$10,500,000$0$7,000,000$3,500,000$10,500,000$10,500,000
2025-26NMC$10,500,000$10,500,000$0$7,000,000$3,500,000$10,500,000$10,500,000
2026-27NMC$10,500,000$10,500,000$0$9,500,000$1,000,000$10,500,000$10,500,000
2027-28NMC$10,500,000$10,500,000$0$9,500,000$1,000,000$10,500,000$10,500,000
2028-29NMC$10,500,000$10,500,000$0$7,000,000$3,500,000$10,500,000$10,500,000
2029-30M-NTC, NMC$10,500,000$10,500,000$0$9,500,000$1,000,000$10,500,000$10,500,000
2030-31M-NTC, NMC$10,500,000$10,500,000$0$5,000,000$5,500,000$10,500,000$10,500,000
TOTAL$84,000,000$84,000,000$0$61,500,000$22,500,000$84,000,000$84,000,000

Makes sense. Then he can keep his place in Florida and keep that nice low tax rate.

Bedard in the NHL? 115 looks like a floor for him

He’s looking like an absolute stud, but come on. His floor is basically McDavid? The best player to come along in the last 30+ years… MacKinnon was the next mega star, and he’s never even had a 100 point season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad