Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Heritage Classic Forecast: Chance for McFlurries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
His career isn't held hostage he has waivers. He wanted an easily to obtain contract then this is the potential risk that goes with it.

It's not going to happen. That's going to create a Sheldon Souray type situation for the team when he inevitably complains to the media that he's healthy enough to play and the Oilers refuse to call him up because of the cap bonus penalty that they fully agreed to.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
His career isn't held hostage he has waivers. He wanted an easily to obtain contract then this is the potential risk that goes with it.
I think waiting until game 9 and hoping he shows steady improvement is still the play at this point, but if that does happen and he still isn't looking like the player who's worth the money we're paying him next year, then we should be waiving him 100%.

Either a team who wants to go all in this year and can fit the penalty in next year takes him for free, or he can agree to mutually terminate his contract and sign with whatever other team is able to wait for him to get up to speed.

I would much rather have the 3m+ in cap space on top of whatever the cap goes up in hopes of keeping our cup dream alive for next season, and grabbing some help at the deadline this year on D with the bit of space losing brown opens up. Once Drai is up for renewal after next season, we're outside our cup window imo. He's going to get a well deserved raise, and we've already seen how poorly this management group handles cap issues.

Reactions: joestevens29

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I find it amusing how some people ridicule Lavoie for signing 75k extra and how it causes hurdles for the team.

But Browns agent has a 3.225m bonus for simply playing 10g. I honestly hope he gets going. But he needs about 3 more levels before hes a 4m dollar player.

Sometimes you need to make hard decisions. The Oilers will never waive him though. But that’s part of the problem why the organization is at where it’s at. Everyone is too comfortable.

Vegas wouldn’t even think about waiving him if doesn’t pick it up.

Honestly Jackson needs to figure out his plan for this team. I assume Holland won’t be the GM next year. No point saddleing the next GM with a 3m overrage if the team still looks like garbage after the 9g mark.

Maybe Brown should take some responsibility for how he’s playing. Maybe McDavid should take some responsibility for recruiting a player and then not holding the team accountable for the way they are playing.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I find it amusing how some people ridicule Lavoie for signing 75k extra and the hurdles its caused for the team.

But Browns agent has a 3.225m bonus for simply playing 10g. I honestly hope he gets going. But he needs about 3 more levels before hes a 4m dollar player.

Sometimes you need to make hard decisions. The Oilers will never waive him though. But that’s part of the problem why the organization is at where it’s at. Everyone is too comfortable.

Vegas wouldn’t even think about waiving him if doesn’t pick it up.

Honestly Jackson needs to figure out his plan for this team. I assume Holland won’t be the GM next year. No point saddleing the next GM with a 3m overrage if the team still looks like garbage after the 9g mark.

Maybe Brown should take some responsibility for how he’s playing. Maybe McDavid should take some responsibility for recruiting a player and then not holding the team accountable for the way they are playing.
This organization needs to decide whether Holland is part of the problem or the solution. If they think he's part of the problem in any way, and they let him Handle the Drai negotiations next year, it could completely cripple any chance we have at being competitive after next season.

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
For sure. Nothing is ever truly a sure thing.

But yeah, those two are the main reason we are where we are today. If the Oilers had even a semblance of good drafting we aren't forced to dole out contracts to the Campbells, Kulaks, and Kanes of the world.
They also haven't hit any really true homeruns on depth picks or trades for buylow candidates.

It's very frustrating. I hope they actually DO Something. Frankly, I would call the Caps and try to trade Kane, Janmark and Broberg for Mantha ($1M retained), Dowd and Aube-Kubel

Really make a change with the roster.

Edit: For what it's worth, the Caps are looking for a top-6 forward.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They also haven't hit any really true homeruns on depth picks or trades for buylow candidates.

It's very frustrating. I hope they actually DO Something. Frankly, I would call the Caps and try to trade Kane, Janmark and Broberg for Mantha ($1M retained), Dowd and Aube-Kubel

Really make a change with the roster.

Edit: For what it's worth, the Caps are looking for a top-6 forward.
No they sure haven't. Their scouting is abysmal at all levels. Basically every pick after McDavid except Bouchard is showing nothing at the moment. That alone should warrant some big changes.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
No they sure haven't. Their scouting is abysmal at all levels. Basically every pick after McDavid except Bouchard is showing nothing at the moment. That alone should warrant some big changes.
We have seen some of it, but without question. I don't know what to do, but they need to do something to shake things up atleast. (Just don't move McDavid, Draisaitl and Nuge)

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think my move would be trading Kulak for a pick. This would enable us to actually ice a full lineup and give Woodcroft the ability to hold some forwards accountable for not giving a shit.

Deal Kulak, call up Lavoie and Pedersen and Gleason, and have them waiting in the wings for the next time a Kane or a Janmark decides to take entire games off.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I mean he'd go on waivers so he'd have a chance to go elsewhere. If he clears I'm sure Holland would give his agent the freedom to look for a trade.

Fact is guys can't just expect to get a pay cheque and not perform. It is a cap world with consequences for players and teams alike.
It's kind of funny that the agent for Brown got him that deal that will now screw over the team for which he now presides. It honestly kind of smells.

Did Holland have say in that signing, or was it part of the deal to get Jackson to come over? Only Paul Coffey knows.

• Haha
Reactions: brentashton

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Holland took a non-playoff team to a 50 win team lol
Holland did? Or McDavid/Draisatl did? Because the same issues that are currently plaguing the team (defense, depth scoring, goaltending) are the same things that plagued the team when he began his tenure.

We have seen some of it, but without question. I don't know what to do, but they need to do something to shake things up atleast. (Just don't move McDavid, Draisaitl and Nuge)
After the Chiarelli debacle they should've cleaned house. Way too many people have overstayed their welcome in this org.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
if McDrai is responsible for those 50 wins

then McDrai is responsible for the current state of the team
McDavid is definitely not off to a great start.

But they're still tasked with some extremely heavy lifting. McDavid was the only one going in games 5/6 against Vegas.

They're not blameless but they're getting zero help from anywhere in the lineup. The defense/goaltending has been atrocious and once again there's zero offense from the bottom six.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Same would be said about those guys in a week from now

A player playing 8 minutes a night is the least of this clubs worry.

The guys playing big minutes need to pull their heads out of their asses.

Yeah. I haven't minded Drai, Nuge, or Hyman at all tbh. Think all 3 have been good (outside of last night when literally every Oiler sucked). But definitely McDavid, Kane, Brown, Nurse, Ceci, Bouchard, even Ekholm need to pull it together, and soon.

Reactions: joestevens29

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Holland did? Or McDavid/Draisatl did? Because the same issues that are currently plaguing the team (defense, depth scoring, goaltending) are the same things that plagued the team when he began his tenure.

After the Chiarelli debacle they should've cleaned house. Way too many people have overstayed their welcome in this org.
Impossible to argue, atleast Holland did that with quite a bit of the players on the ice, for whatever that's worth.

I'm not trying to stay positive, because reality, I'm trying to stay even keel a bit, because everything is alot lol.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Impossible to argue, atleast Holland did that with quite a bit of the players on the ice, for whatever that's worth.

I'm not trying to stay positive, because reality, I'm trying to stay even keel a bit, because everything is alot lol.
If anything maybe these early struggles will work out in the long run. Better they struggle now than later on down the road.

But with that said if a bad start led to some firings then that wouldn't be so bad either. Seriously how does Dustin Schwartz still have a job?

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If anything maybe these early struggles will work out in the long run. Better they struggle now than later on down the road.

But with that said if a bad start led to some firings then that wouldn't be so bad either. Seriously how does Dustin Schwartz still have a job?
Schwartz completely confounds me. I used to defend him a bit, but it's been too long with not much to show. He should just resign if he had any stones.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I think my move would be trading Kulak for a pick. This would enable us to actually ice a full lineup and give Woodcroft the ability to hold some forwards accountable for not giving a shit.

Deal Kulak, call up Lavoie and Pedersen and Gleason, and have them waiting in the wings for the next time a Kane or a Janmark decides to take entire games off.

Kulak shows up in the playoffs though, and we might need that.

Reactions: TheNumber4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad