Proposal: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Free Agent Interview Period Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I still say a deal based around Nurse and Connor makes a lot of sense. Maybe Connor for Nurse+1st. We then sign Connor to a 8x8 deal

Draisaitl-Mcdavid-Kassian
Connor-RNH-Connolly
Hell no to all of that. Connor ain't worth that price in terms of assets or in terms of cap-hit. Also you seem to believe Connor is better than Ehlers, but it seems like a substantial number of Jets fans disagree. They argue Ehlers is better defensively, a better play driver, he'll likely provide better value relative to cap-hit, and his analytics are better. A lot seem to believe they suffered as a team from Connor getting the top line push at the expense of Ehlers.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No the last time we traded a first the other team picked the Rookie of the year. When we traded down we lost out on a 30+ goal scorer.

They had time to properly build at that point, 4 years on, they really don't.

Even if the 2020 pick is a good forward, when is he even going to play on the roster's top 6? 2023? Maybe?

The Oilers don't have that time. I wish they did but they don't.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm probably the only one... but I'd have time for Aberg as a depth forward as well.

Beaulieu would be a solid bottom pairing dman IF the Oilers were to say move out another dman in a trade for a forward.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Actually wouldn't mind Rieder at 1M or less. He's a pretty good penalty killer and makes alot of unselfish plays. He did pretty damn fine under Tippett in Arizona. But maybe Dave actually had some say in not qualifying him, maybe he wants a fresh roster that he can mold without any former baggage

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It's fairly sad that you can quite easily create a better bottom 6 group from those other teams castoffs than the Oilers currently have.

Leipsic-Granlund-Hartman

Andrighetto-Cousins-Aberg

Just solved the team's bottom 6 issues... you're welcome.

Last edited:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
You can't look at every first round pick as "the potential rookie of the year". Things backfiring as highly as they could have in 2015 does not mean they will every time from that range in the draft.

Put it this way: They have 7 bullets in the gun and if that's if McDavid doesn't get fed up. They have cap flexibility to do something more impressive in 2021, or if a few things work out, maybe even next year, but if the Oilers are a loser team why would that flexibility be super useful? You won't attract UFAs, you'll have undervalued assets in trade.

Futures have to be WAY less valuable to the Oilers than quality NHL help now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ol' Jase

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
As far as Nurse goes, if we're going to acknowledge that debate, we kind of know his name came up at the draft and Toronto was the team kind of kicking that can. I'd CONSIDER some kind of Nurse and Kadri deal, in spite of my initial feelings against it. For lots of reasons:

Kadri is cost controlled @ 4.5M for 3 years, Kadri solves for the Oilers 2line winger problem by moving RNH over. He'd be the best match-up guy the Oilers had while having 20-30 goal upside. The Oilers two best wingers would be injury coverage at C. Having 4 guys who could all line up down the middle is an insane luxury I'm not sure any team in the league has now. Unlike the Larsson-for-Kadri idea, I think Toronto would actually do this, and I think the Oilers could absorb a hit to their left side much better than their right with Klefbom, Sekera and Russell & possibly Jones/Lagesson competing for an Oilers position. Don't get me wrong, I'm not doing backflips about it, but I can see a world where a cap compliant second line of RNH-Kadri-Connolly or whatever is worth a second pairing of Sekera-Russell as opposed to the Nurse-Russell it would be otherwise.

I don't see any world where they're willing to trade Nurse for Connor at his expected cap. A huge part of this would be that it's cap positive in 2020 and 2021. I'm not sure about Ehlers, a serious defenseman feels like it could be the ask from Winnipeg and if that's the case, a first isn't going to be the difference between a Russell-Pulju offer and, say, a Brett Pesce offering.

Failing something on that level of scope, I'd be very curious to hear about Russell's ten teams trade list. I wonder if there's a desire to stay in Canada in general, or just close to Alberta. If he wants to keep his family in this country, could Ottawa find it's way on the list? That might be a place they could flex for cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raab and Ol' Jase

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
As far as Nurse goes, if we're going to acknowledge that debate, we kind of know his name came up at the draft and Toronto was the team kind of kicking that can. I'd CONSIDER some kind of Nurse and Kadri deal, in spite of my initial feelings against it. For lots of reasons:

Kadri is cost controlled @ 4.5M for 3 years, Kadri solves for the Oilers 2line winger problem by moving RNH over. He'd be the best match-up guy the Oilers had while having 20-30 goal upside. The Oilers two best wingers would be injury coverage at C. Having 4 guys who could all line up down the middle is an insane luxury I'm not sure any team in the league has now. Unlike the Larsson-for-Kadri idea, I think Toronto would actually do this, and I think the Oilers could absorb a hit to their left side much better than their right with Klefbom, Sekera and Russell & possibly Jones/Lagesson competing for an Oilers position. Don't get me wrong, I'm not doing backflips about it, but I can see a world where a cap compliant second line of RNH-Kadri-Connolly or whatever is worth a second pairing of Sekera-Russell as opposed to the Nurse-Russell it would be otherwise.

I don't see any world where they're willing to trade Nurse for Connor at his expected cap. A huge part of this would be that it's cap positive in 2020 and 2021. I'm not sure about Ehlers, a serious defenseman feels like it could be the ask from Winnipeg and if that's the case, a first isn't going to be the difference between a Russell-Pulju offer and, say, a Brett Pesce offering.

Failing something on that level of scope, I'd be very curious to hear about Russell's ten teams trade list. I wonder if there's a desire to stay in Canada in general, or just close to Alberta. If he wants to keep his family in this country, could Ottawa find it's way on the list? That might be a place they could flex for cap.
If anyone goes for kadri it’s Larsson.

Not nurse

Reactions: TheBasementDweller

ManicTouch

Nov 30, 2015
Ehler would be really neat if he joined the Oilers!
Also kinda interesting both he and Gaetan Haas grew up in played for my hometown Biel, so they know each other pretty well.

North

Jun 25, 2009
To add to that, just look at what Trouba was moved for

Trouba was moved for that because his agent communicated he’d only be willing to sign with New York.

He indicated he would hold out if traded anywhere else.

Also I think it’s pretty clear the Jets are not at all interested in dealing Connor. Ehlers on the other hand shouldn’t be too comfortable right now.

M Ace

Apr 12, 2010
Orebro, Sweden
Move everyone and run

Jones - Bouchard
Samorukov - Benning
Lagesson - Bear

Use the money on the forwards. Stanley Cup 2020

Edit: either good defense or good forwards? Or, you can be one of the teams in the cup final and have solid both.

You forgot to sign Broberg as their #7....

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
My ideal but still realistic scenario is to sign Brett Connolly for under 4 million and Tyler Ennis for under 1.5, then trade Puljujarvi for Erik Haula.

North

Jun 25, 2009
That team still lacks secondary scoring.......

And the d. Look at the d. Pencilling Bouchard into the lineup is a bad idea.

Placing Jones on the second pairing is another bad idea.

And to top it off the Jets are not giving up Connor for Nurse. Only a person who doesn’t watch the Jets thinks they would. He’s the one they want to sign long-term. If they could they’d bridge Laine.

I propose we have a separate Nurse proposals thread so a certain poster could post to their heart’s content.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
You don't trade firsts. Its never worked out in the past. Even trading down was a disaster.
When is the last time the Oilers traded a first? 2006? Alex Plante, Riley Nash, Paajarvi, Yakupov, Puljujarvi......hell throw in every second on top of that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad