Proposal: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Free Agent Interview Period Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I hope that Holland doesn't sign anyone until July 7th. It's not like the Oilers are going after any if the premium players so let them sit. Team's are screwed this year with the cap and a ton aren't even getting qualified so they be lots of guys that can slot in for cheap on a one year deal.
The Oilers won't be signing anyone if they wait until July 7th. Multiple teams are interested in Connolly, Mrazek, Donskoi, etc.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Somebody is gonna cash in hard on some players that have to move like Ehlers, Colin Miller, possibly Kadri and/or Kapanen ... I have a bad feeling the Oilers will sit on their hands as they've already designated this as a "low move summer".

They make up their mind on a situation before they even let it develop.

I think management here also lacks imagination and they have severe tunnel vision in how they deal with things summer to summer. We'll see if Holland is any better in that respect.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Based on current rumors the current predicted Oilers lineup

Benson - McDavid - Draisaitl
Nygard - RNH - Connolly
Khaira - Haas - Gagner
Lucic - Brodziak - Kassian
Cave

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Sekera - Benning

Koskinen
Mrazek

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Somebody is gonna cash in hard on some players that have to move like Ehlers, Colin Miller, possibly Kadri and/or Kapanen ... I have a bad feeling the Oilers will sit on their hands as they've already designated this as a "low move summer".

They make up their mind on a situation before they even let it develop.

I think management here also lacks imagination and they have severe tunnel vision in how they deal with things summer to summer. We'll see if Holland is any better in that respect.
You never know. It's been really quiet trade front period. Quiet in a lot of ways.
I feel like lots of teams are talking to UFAs, see where they are with them and then teams will then move based on that.

For example, if a team is going hard for say Panarin, doesn't land them, they may then move for Ehlers etc.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I still say a deal based around Nurse and Connor makes a lot of sense. Maybe Connor for Nurse+1st. We then sign Connor to a 8x8 deal

Draisaitl-Mcdavid-Kassian
Connor-RNH-Connolly

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You never know. It's been really quiet trade front period. Quiet in a lot of ways.
I feel like lots of teams are talking to UFAs, see where they are with them and then teams will then move based on that.

For example, if a team is going hard for say Panarin, doesn't land them, they may then move for Ehlers etc.

The question is will the Oilers actually be in on any of this, or are they going to be in their "nah, this isn't our summer to do stuff in, we're gonna Connolly and Mrazek, because we already decided on this six weeks ago".

This franchise gets fixated on one thing pretty much each summer and then they ignore other opportunities or different ways of doing things. I wonder if Holland is any different in that respect.

You need to have a front office that has some imagination/is willing to think outside the box some times and is reactive to what's happening on the market and the Oilers have been woefully inept at that for ages.

They have a set "philosophy" and come hell or high water they don't waver from it thinking they're the smartest person in the room (when obviously they are not).

It takes some humility to say "well this wasn't part of the plan, but hold on a sec, maybe we can do something here".

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I still say a deal based around Nurse and Connor makes a lot of sense. Maybe Connor for Nurse+1st. We then sign Connor to a 8x8 deal

Connor-RNH-Connolly
And then we don't have enough money to fill the roster lol

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The question is will the Oilers actually be in on any of this, or are they going to be in their "nah, this isn't our summer to do stuff in, we're gonna Connolly and Mrazek, because we already decided on this six weeks ago".

This franchise gets fixated on one thing pretty much each summer and then they ignore other opportunities or different ways of doing things. I wonder if Holland is any different in that respect.
Holland is always looking at improving the roster. Holland is also the type to not make a trade just to make a trade and if the trade is an overpay, often doesn't do it.

That said, he isn't like Chiarelli, guarenteed he is talking to everyone trying to do something.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Holland is always looking at improving the roster. Holland is also the type to not make a trade just to make a trade and if the trade is an overpay, often doesn't do it.

That said, he isn't like Chiarelli, guarenteed he is talking to everyone trying to do something.

We'll see.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
If the deal is 1st + Poolparty + Russell

For Ehlers + some prospect tossed in

You do it. I'm just not sure if they would do it. If it's there, you probably have to move on that.

It's painful to give up a 1st but you lottery protect it. I mean at some point the Oilers are gonna have to likely trade a first anyway.

You don't trade firsts. Its never worked out in the past. Even trading down was a disaster.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
And then we don't have enough money to fill the roster lol

Why not? We can make it work this year quite easily.

Connor-RNH-Connolly
Nygard-Haas?-Gagner
Khaira-Brodziak-Cave
Lucic

Klefbom-Larsson
Jones-Russell
Sekera-Bouchard
Lagesson

Koskinen
?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Why not? We can make it work this year quite easily.

Connor-RNH-Connolly
Nygard-Haas?-Gagner
Khaira-Brodziak-Cave
Lucic

Klefbom-Larsson
Jones-Russell
Sekera-Bouchard
Lagesson

Koskinen
?
We currently have 8.3 mill in capspace. You move out Nurses 3.2 in that deal.brings you to 11.5 mill. That's the cost of resigning Connor and signing Connolly. You waive Manning and send out Benning frees up 3 mill just signing Khaira, Haas and having Bouchard and Jones in the lineup eats all that up. Lagesson and Goalie pushes us over.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
So been thinking about how our previous fearless leader was very intent on bringing in their own guys.

Chiarelli chased Lucic, Cave, Spooner, countless Boston area signings, in the thick of discussions for Dougie Hamilton's first trade.
Even MacT had a thing for Brad Hunt from the AHL days or whatever.

Holland got his eyes on any Red Wings he's like to bring in?
Helm, Abdelkader? Green? Any chance Mantha/Anthanesiou aren't part of Yzerman's vision of the core?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So been thinking about how our previous fearless leader was very intent on bringing in their own guys.

Chiarelli chased Lucic, Cave, Spooner, countless Boston area signings, in the thick of discussions for Dougie Hamilton's first trade.
Even MacT had a thing for Brad Hunt from the AHL days or whatever.

Holland got his eyes on any Red Wings he's like to bring in?
Helm, Abdelkader? Green? Any chance Mantha/Anthanesiou aren't part of Yzerman's vision of the core?
I have a feeling Nyquist and Mrazek could be those guys.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You don't trade firsts. Its never worked out in the past. Even trading down was a disaster.

I think the last time they traded a 1st it was for Dwayne Roloson ... who took them to the Cup finals, lol, so that's not even factually true. I'd do that trade again every day of the week.

To get Ehlers you trade a 1st if its protected IMO.

The odds of a 9/10/11/12 pick being better than a guy who's 23 and already a two time 60 point scorer with three 20 goal seasons is like what? Maybe 10%.

We gotta take some risks, Holland doesn't have 2-3 years to write off here.

Even usually mild mannered Nugent Hopkins was very pissed off in his season ending presser last year, season ticket holders are starting to revolt ... I'm sorry Kenny, but you don't have years to fix this.

You got like 12-13 months at best to make a playoff team. If they're not at minimum a solid lock for a playoff team by July 202o, there is going to be big problems.

Sacrifices will have to be made.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
We currently have 8.3 mill in capspace. You move out Nurses 3.2 in that deal.brings you to 11.5 mill. That's the cost of resigning Connor and signing Connolly. You waive Manning and send out Benning frees up 3 mill just signing Khaira, Haas and having Bouchard and Jones in the lineup eats all that up. Lagesson and Goalie pushes us over.

Your also counting 1M for Persson. It would be tight and really depend what Connolly signs for. Either way it’s possible to add Connor with a 8M deal and make it work.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Your also counting 1M for Persson. It would be tight and really depend what Connolly signs for. Either way it’s possible to add Connor with a 8M deal and make it work.
I don't see any way Winnipeg moves Connor anyways.

Edit: Also I really hope you aren't expecting Bouchard to just slide into the NHL lineup. Bouchard is a year away at minimum. If you think Nurse is horrible defensively, Bouchard isn't close to him defensively yet. And I like Bouchard.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lucky freaking Winnipeg, players like Kyle Connor never fall to the Oilers draft posit-- oh yeah, wait ... right.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country

Connor-RNH-Connolly

Why are we moving Nurse AND a 1st to get Connor?
JT Miller while a lesser player was had for scraps from a cap strapped team.
Winnipeg is a cap strapped team. Re-signing both Nurse and Morrisey one year from now to ~7million extensions each isn't solving anything for them.
Moreover, it's doing them a favour to part with this much value while they have limited options.

Connor/Ehlers can be had for a lesser package, but I do believe other teams can offer better ones.

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
My screw it we only live once idea

Larsson, Puljujarvi to Winnipeg for Ehlers, Roslovic
Benning, 2nd to Vegas for Miller, Eakin
Russell to Vancouver for a 3rd, 4th
Manning, Vancouvers 3rd to Ottawa for a 4th
Brodziak for Future Considerations

Resign Khaira 1x1
Sign Connolly 3x3.5

Benson - McDavid - Draisaitl
Ehlers - RNH - Connolly
Nygard - Eakin - Roslovic
Gambardella - Khaira - Kassian
Lucic

Klefbom - Sekera
Nurse - Miller
Lagesson - Jones
Persson

Koskinen
Mrazek
Doesn't look to be cap compliant, you'd need a bit of a value deal on Mrazek and either bury or buy-out Gagner.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I think the last time they traded a 1st it was for Dwayne Roloson ... who took them to the Cup finals, lol, so that's not even factually true. I'd do that trade again every day of the week.

To get Ehlers you trade a 1st if its protected IMO.

The odds of a 9/10/11/12 pick being better than a guy who's 23 and already a two time 60 point scorer with three 20 goal seasons is like what? Maybe 10%.

We gotta take some risks, Holland doesn't have 2-3 years to write off here.

Even usually mild mannered Nugent Hopkins was very pissed off in his season ending presser last year, season ticket holders are starting to revolt ... I'm sorry Kenny, but you don't have years to fix this.

You got like 12-13 months at best to make a playoff team. If they're not at minimum a solid lock for a playoff team by July 202o, there is going to be big problems.

Sacrifices will have to be made.
No the last time we traded a first the other team picked the Rookie of the year. When we traded down we lost out on a 30+ goal scorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->