Proposal: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Free Agent Interview Period Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Kadri is worth more than Larsson. I'd have to imagine that Larsson's value has taken a huge hit the last 2 years, I don't even recognize the player that he was 2 years ago.

With all that said, how can they possibly replace him? Russell playing the right side would be on.tbeir top pairing with Benning on the 2nd. They can't trade any half decent player without taking a major hit so any big trade is out of the question.

This is how the Oilers can get better next season, internal growth and/ or bounce back seasons and/or poach a cheapish player from the capped out teams. There's really no other way to move the needle this off-season. Holland is handcuffed

Reactions: McDNicks17

GRadio

Energy Line
Aug 16, 2014
Edmonton
I think Holland’s plan is to get a bunch of cheap noname nhl players and build a team with some actual depth. Rather than get 1 or 2 good players and fill out the roster with AHL tweeners he would rather get a bunch of value NHL players and build a system to allow the cream to rise to the top.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
@npanciroli ...thanks for the info....

Helps confirm my sense of who Connolly is as a player.

The risk with Connolly is he's led the league in 5v5 onSH% over the last two seasons by a relatively large margin.

Washington's big dogs aren't inflating his numbers, but luck absolutely is.

McDavid would have been on the ice for 15 more goals at 5v5 if he had Connolly's onSH%, to illustrate how high it actually was.

If you sign Connolly, you're signing a guy who is near guaranteed to see a big decline in his numbers from the past couple of seasons, so you better hope you aren't paying a premium for those seasons.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think Kadri would fit in at 2C and Nuge to either 2LW or gone for a cheaper D option.
Without question. Still hurts considering the Leafs' cap situation.

Spector suggesting him being traded for a 3C just shows how out to lunch the idea is.

Reactions: Faelko

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The risk with Connolly is he's led the league in 5v5 onSH% over the last two seasons by a relatively large margin.

Washington's big dogs aren't inflating his numbers, but luck absolutely is.

McDavid would have been on the ice for 15 more goals at 5v5 if he had Connolly's onSH%, to illustrate how high it actually was.

If you sign Connolly, you're signing a guy who is near guaranteed to see a big decline in his numbers from the past couple of seasons.

I hear you. I pointed out his sh% in the previous thread.
I do think however that increased minutes with more offensive players and some PP time would compensates for that somewhat. Shot quality would increase.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
We have to go Moneyball on this. If you can't obtain a ~30G scorer, gotta get two x 15G scorers.
If Nyquist is too expensive (7m range), you sign Donskoi (3m+ range) and trade for like Martinook (2m) from Carolina.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So it could potentially be Hall -> Larsson -> Khadri

Thats interesting to say the least but the hole on the right side D would be gaping.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Buying out Sekera is a bad idea.
Exactly. Why come up with that strange plan? And it’s a big pass on Kadri as far as I’m concerned too. Last thing this team needs is another suspension magnet and fake tough guy on the roster. If this tweet sums up Holland’s plans for the offseason I’d rather do nothing.

Reactions: Consultant

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I wish Larsson was a #2 defenseman but let's be real here, he hasn't developed into one as hoped when he was acquired. He's no more a #2 because he plays those minutes than Kris Russell is a #4 because of his ice time

Larsson is a #3 at best who looked closer to a 4 last year, still not sure I'd trade him for Kadri even though Kadri is closer to a 2c than a 3c.
Let's be real real here. If you trade Adam Larsson, Matthew Benning immediately becomes your only veteran right shot defenseman. If that's true, you can probably pack it in for the year.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I hear you. I pointed out his sh% in the previous thread.
I do think however that increased minutes with more offensive players and some PP time would compensates for that somewhat. Shot quality would increase.

Ah, gotcha. Didn't see the last thread.

I just think Connolly is needlessly risky. You're likely going to have to pay him like a 2nd liner because of the last couple of seasons and then hope he can actually live up to that contract with an increased role whereas you can likely do the same thing with another third liner who is actually paid like a third liner.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ah, gotcha. Didn't see the last thread.

I just think Connolly is needlessly risky. You're likely going to have to pay him like a 2nd liner because of the last couple of seasons and then hope he can actually live up to that contract with an increased role whereas you can likely do the same thing with another third liner who is actually paid like a third liner.

His contract is obviously a challenge...it has to be beneficial to the team and the player.
Not my first choice but I am not all that concerned about him as a player moving forward.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I imagine if Larsson got traded the Oilers would run with Sekera and Russel as their top 2 right side D and pray to god Sekera is healthy and actually capable of returning to form as a top 4 d-man. If he is, he's a better d-man than Larsson anyway.

But that is a massive risk to take.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah I'll admit the behind the scenes aren't something I'm privy to, but I just know which reporter I respect more.

Spec rubs people the wrong way for sure but if not for him there is a good chance that none of the OBC reports become public.
I respect him for that.

I am not really a fan of Seravalli though and having him voted in as the PHWA President doesnt change my opinion of him.
I suspect I am not alone suggesting that it isnt going to make people like him more than they already do.

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
We have to go Moneyball on this. If you can't obtain a ~30G scorer, gotta get two x 15G scorers.
If Nyquist is too expensive (7m range), you sign Donskoi (3m+ range) and trade for like Martinook (2m) from Carolina.

Ohhh. I'd love to see Martinook here.

I want to sign Donskoi and Connolly and a goalie. Try to fix the D with a decent trade?

That being said... Stralman would look really good where Russell usually plays.

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Ohhh. I'd love to see Martinook here.

I want to sign Donskoi and Connolly and a goalie. Try to fix the D with a decent trade?

That being said... Stralman would look really good where Russell usually plays.

I really hope we are one of the teams pursuing Strahlman, however unlikely he signs here.

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
I don't get the people freaking out on here. If u don't think the oilers are going to be able to make the playoffs for 2-3 years why are u on these boards. Check out for 2-3 years and come back then. Save ur self the stress and heartbreak. For everyone else, do u remember the Colorado Avalanche from 2 years ago? They were supposed to finished dead last after finishing dead last the season before. What that team did was shed the slower players (in their case, older players) with speedy grinders and young players.
This is what the oilers need to be, fill in wing spots with guys who have wheels and can grind. There most likely stuck with lucic but if he's your only guy that's slow u should b ok. Rest of the lineup should b burners. This team needs to b a greasy, speedy, scrapy team. Vegas is another team that follows this mold. My hope is they can fill in the roster with guys on cheap 1-2 year contracts who are hungry. Saying that which players fill that mould?
Burakovsky
Donskoi
Pirri
Connolly
Fabbri
Tanev
Simmonds? Does he still have wheels?
Panik
Mathieu Joseph
Haula

Feel free to add to the list.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
But that is a massive risk to take.
Yup. We’ll see shortly how smart Holland is. For years now Oiler GMs have been totally fine with the risk of going into a new season with gaping holes on the blueline. Known, well established gaping holes that leave the team dead in the water when Klefbom goes down with his usual mid season injury. If Holland trades Larsson for Kadri he will have established that he’s just as dumb as his predecessors in the role. And I say that as no big fan of Adam Larsson.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I'm not a fan of Seravalli either, and listening to him when he's on the morning show, he sounds more like a random fan than a sportswriter.
add to that hes like the oldest looking 30 year old, bugs me even more. Like a bizarro version if the Trivago guy.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
No chance they move Larson. Even moving Benning is dumb without another right shot d coming back. Could force Bear in there but if Larson goes down our right side is Russel, Bear and nobody.

Russell is the only d we can move. I would keep Sekera over Russell x10.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
No chance they move Larson. Even moving Benning is dumb without another right shot d coming back. Could force Bear in there but if Larson goes down our right side is Russel, Bear and nobody.

Russell is the only d we can move. I would keep Sekera over Russell x10.
What about if Zaitsev is in the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad