Proposal: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Free Agent Interview Period Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Why not? We can make it work this year quite easily.

Draisaitl-Mcdavid-Kassian
Connor-RNH-Connolly
Nygard-Haas?-Gagner
Khaira-Brodziak-Cave
Lucic

Klefbom-Larsson
Jones-Russell
Sekera-Bouchard
Lagesson

Koskinen
?
I don't get how you think this is a good line up.
Jones - Russell as a 2nd pair, brutal.
and that 3rd line? are they even NHL talent?

Reactions: nabob

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
If we sign Connolly for 5+ years or 3.75+ I’d consider it a mistake. Ideally you get a player like that for 4 years at 3M per and even that is a lot for me. I’d rather just sign Chiasson if we’re rewarding one year standouts.

Reactions: trent_vinyl

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I don't get how you think this is a good line up.
Jones - Russell as a 2nd pair, brutal.
and that 3rd line? are they even NHL talent?

The building blocks are there. Mcdavid, Connor, Draisaitl, Klefbom all signed long term. RNH would be the only core forward left to sign. We then start working on the defence through the draft and free agency.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
So if the Oilers get Connolly or resign Chaisson.

Draisaitl-mcdavid-kassian
Benson-nuge-connolly/chaisson
nygard-haas-khaira(JJ takes the faceoffs)
Lucic-brodziak-gagner

Klefbom/Larsson
Nurse/Russel
Sekera/Bouchard/Benning.

Koskinen
Maybe Mrazek?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
When fully healthy this team isn't as bad as we make it out to be. Our biggest problem is goaltending, fix that and we make the playoffs. Look at STL, last place in the league, get good goaltending, almost win their division then go on to win the Cup. The other problem was our historically bad secondary scoring. Outside of Mcdavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Kassian and Chaisson the other forwards scored a combined 42 goals with Caggiula being on pace for almost 20 and we trade him for Manning.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
How about Curtis Lazar as a bottom six option ?

Lazar's career has been a huge disappointment, and I mean that with lament (not sarcasm). He's one of those guys I really wanted to succeed. It's probably a good thing I'm not a GM, because I would likely ask about a two-way contract for him. For no solid reason whatsoever... except that I feel terrible about the way his career has gone.

Reactions: Homesick

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Was just answering your question.
I'd trade our first without a condition on it for a legit top 6 forward, or top four PMD( Must have 2 years remaining.)
The rest of the money remaining goes to a legit goalie(no faith in Koskinen) and pray that 80% of the roster quits expecting McDraikins to carry them.

Chiarelli

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
How about Curtis Lazar as a bottom six option ?

giphy.gif

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
As far as Nurse goes, if we're going to acknowledge that debate, we kind of know his name came up at the draft and Toronto was the team kind of kicking that can. I'd CONSIDER some kind of Nurse and Kadri deal, in spite of my initial feelings against it. For lots of reasons:

Kadri is cost controlled @ 4.5M for 3 years, Kadri solves for the Oilers 2line winger problem by moving RNH over. He'd be the best match-up guy the Oilers had while having 20-30 goal upside. The Oilers two best wingers would be injury coverage at C. Having 4 guys who could all line up down the middle is an insane luxury I'm not sure any team in the league has now. Unlike the Larsson-for-Kadri idea, I think Toronto would actually do this, and I think the Oilers could absorb a hit to their left side much better than their right with Klefbom, Sekera and Russell & possibly Jones/Lagesson competing for an Oilers position. Don't get me wrong, I'm not doing backflips about it, but I can see a world where a cap compliant second line of RNH-Kadri-Connolly or whatever is worth a second pairing of Sekera-Russell as opposed to the Nurse-Russell it would be otherwise.

I don't see any world where they're willing to trade Nurse for Connor at his expected cap. A huge part of this would be that it's cap positive in 2020 and 2021. I'm not sure about Ehlers, a serious defenseman feels like it could be the ask from Winnipeg and if that's the case, a first isn't going to be the difference between a Russell-Pulju offer and, say, a Brett Pesce offering.

Failing something on that level of scope, I'd be very curious to hear about Russell's ten teams trade list. I wonder if there's a desire to stay in Canada in general, or just close to Alberta. If he wants to keep his family in this country, could Ottawa find it's way on the list? That might be a place they could flex for cap.
Moving Nurse for a forward that'll be 29 at the start of the season is wasting assets. Moving Nurse should be for a similar aged forward, not an old one

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Moving Nurse for a forward that'll be 29 at the start of the season is wasting assets. Moving Nurse should be for a similar aged forward, not an old one
Agreed. Nurse is still 3 years away from being a complete defenseman and that's not a knock in him.
Now if it's a cap dump move like Kapanen and Kadri I might be swayed. I'm not sold on Kapanen though as he might just be a product of Matthews/Tavares

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Please...let's start projecting lineups WITHOUT Kassian slotted into the top line. We saw how inadequate he was at that position. Let's start putting in a one shot scorer like Vanek or Connolly or Perry instead in hopes Holland reads these boards. Imagine him coming in here and seeing the lot of you content with Kassian playing 20 minutes a night with our superstars - whiffing chance after chance? Christ!

Reactions: npanciroli

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Carr
Chiasson
Connolly
Donskoi
Mrazek
Tanev

Are these all the names the Oilers have been connected to?

Friedman had the Oilers connected to Zucker in this 31 thoughts. I'd love to add him but I can't imagine what the Oilers have that would entice Minnesota now that the draft is over.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Friedman had the Oilers connected to Zucker in this 31 thoughts. I'd love to add him but I can't imagine what the Oilers have that would entice Minnesota now that the draft is over.

Based on Fenton's first few trades, Kassian along with 30% retention on Zucker.

Reactions: North

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I still say a deal based around Nurse and Connor makes a lot of sense. Maybe Connor for Nurse+1st. We then sign Connor to a 8x8 deal

Draisaitl-Mcdavid-Kassian
Connor-RNH-Connolly
That stinks Just as bad as the Nurse + 1st for Nylander trade that you proposed 100x last off-season. It would likely backfire just as bad as trading for Nylander would have last year.

Do you have a list of pending RFA wingers that you want to badly overpay in terms of Nurse + 1st as well as contract extension wise?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Please...let's start projecting lineups WITHOUT Kassian slotted into the top line. We saw how inadequate he was at that position. Let's start putting in a one shot scorer like Vanek or Connolly or Perry instead in hopes Holland reads these boards. Imagine him coming in here and seeing the lot of you content with Kassian playing 20 minutes a night with our superstars - whiffing chance after chance? Christ!

I don't think two guys who combined for 91 goals really need a one shot scorer.

I'd rather use cap space on the second and third line anyway. A guy like Connolly is going to improve the second line a lot more than he would the first line.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
We aren't landing 3 top 6 wingers and Nuge's line is the one that needs help, when you got $21 Million stacked on one line in just two players they should be able to fluff up some C tier players, Getzlaf and Perry did for years and so did the Sedins, it isn't an unreasonable ask and it's a cost saving measure when you have two elite players on one line. The league is built on duos there is a select few trio units that get run out night after night. Also I don't think anyone believes Kassian will be running on that line all year, people are just willing to give him first crack, the second he gets cold and someone gets hot more than likely they'll be up there instead, I'm guessing no one winger will see more than 32 games with that duo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad