Rumor: Rumors & Proposals | Moar NCAA Free Agents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Hanzal has 1 goal in 13 games for MIN and is a -4.
At age 30 what can he really command as a UFA?
No one is going to give him 5x5.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Basically a carbon copy of Antoine Vermette.
Seriously, look at his contract status and stats when getting traded at the deadline to the Blackhawks.

At the deadline everyone expected Vermette to command something like 5x5. Then he did exactly what Hanzal has been doing in Minnesota, and ended up back in Arizona for cheap.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Vegas could easily give him $5x5M. He might well be their best center. Think back a few years ago when Florida had to go on a spending spree to hit the cap. This is a very thin year on the FA front and LV has a lot more money to spend than any other team.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Fun fact on Hanzal. He hasn't played a full season since 2009-2010. He might do it this year but that's not a guy we should be signing when we already have significant RFAs to sign and he's not a real difference maker.

McDavid Gilmour

Jun 7, 2016
E-Town
Pitlick without his injuries is a top 6 winger imo. Thats just woulda, coulda, shoulda talk tho. Currently he is a fourth liner but certainly still has the potential to be more. Old as he is, his development hopefully has been delayed rather than destroyed... Assuming he will stick with the Oilers that is. If he goes somewhere else hopefully he regresses lol.

So let me get this straight. You think Pitlick is a top six winger and Cagguila is a borderline NHL'er.

To quote Remenda "wow", am I ever glad you are not making roster decisions.

As early as next season it will become clear that Pitlick is a 4'th liner and Drake is a top 9 player.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
So let me get this straight. You think Pitlick is a top six winger and Cagguila is a borderline NHL'er.

To quote Remenda "wow", am I ever glad you are not making roster decisions.

As early as next season it will become clear that Pitlick is a 4'th liner and Drake is a top 9 player.

No it wont. Both are just getting their feet wet in the NHL... a 2 game stretch vs COL doesnt mean anything. How about we just wait and see how things pan out. Things will get physical these last 6 games and playoffs would be tough as well.. Seeing how Caggiula comes out of it would be step #2 of a 5 step path to becoming a legit NHLer.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Here's something close to what I would try to do..

Assuming something around 9 for McDavid and 6 for Draisaitl. We sign Kassian, Pitlick, Desharnais, Khaira, Gryba. Give Vegas our 2nd round pick to take Pouliot in expansion. Project Pulju to 2nd line RW next season. Buyout Mark Fayne.

- Eberle for Hamonic
- Buy low on center like Girgensons

Maroon (1.5) - McDavid (3.75) - Draisaitl (6)
Lucic (6) - Nugent-Hopkins (6) - Puljujarvi (3.4)
Caggiula (1.3) - Girgensons (2) - Kassian (1.2)
Slepyshev (1.5) - Letestu (1.85) - Pitlick (0.8)
Desharnais (1.2) - Khaira (0.7)

Klefbom (4.1) - Larsson (4.1)
Sekera (5.5) - Hamonic (3.8)
Nurse (1.7) - Benning (1)
Gryba (0.8)

Talbot (4.1)
Brossoit (0.7)

Clear some cap by trading Eberle and replace Russell while doing so. Bring back as much depth as possible. Desharnais seems to be a decent fit here, and probably knows he won't have much else out there. I'd look to sign him 1 year cheap.

If we can't get Hamonic, I think Eberle for a 2nd pairing defenseman is a move that makes sense. Ideally we'd get a puckmover but right now doesn't look like anything will be out there.

IMO we can't afford to sign someone like Hanzal. It would cost us in the future.

I can't imagine any team dealing a solid Dman locked up to a cap friendly contract long term for Eberle. I think RNH might have that value because of positional importance, ability to PK and the existing possibility that he can break out offensively (although I don't see it) but his contract is problematic for what he brings. I'd love to add Hamonic or Savard but those guys will be tough to get because of their affordable contracts.

To the above posts....Forget Hanzal, he'll be too expensive. With the McDavid and Drai contracts almost sure to eat up at least $15M cap space ($15M if we're very lucky), not to mention Lucic's $6M locked in long term, I think we'll see the rest of the forward group filled out with cheapish contracts. Can't see any big ticket players added on wing or at #3C in the short term. I think they will bank on Puljujarvi being the dynamic winger they need although I have my reservations about him. I wonder if they can get Eaves fairly cheaply (2 yrs $6M, 3yrs $9M?) if Eberle is dealt.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I can't imagine any team dealing a solid Dman locked up to a cap friendly contract long term for Eberle. I think RNH might have that value because of positional importance, ability to PK and the existing possibility that he can break out offensively (although I don't see it) but his contract is problematic for what he brings. I'd love to add Hamonic or Savard but those guys will be tough to get because of their affordable contracts.

To the above posts....Forget Hanzal, he'll be too expensive. With the McDavid and Drai contracts almost sure to eat up at least $15M cap space ($15M if we're very lucky), not to mention Lucic's $6M locked in long term, I think we'll see the rest of the forward group filled out with cheapish contracts. Can't see any big ticket players added on wing or at #3C in the short term. I think they will bank on Puljujarvi being the dynamic winger they need although I have my reservations about him. I wonder if they can get Eaves fairly cheaply (2 yrs $6M, 3yrs $9M?) if Eberle is dealt.

Eaves would be a really interesting addition. I just don't see him accomplishing what he's accomplished this season in Edmonton. He doesn't quite fit in the same way he does on the other two teams. On a two year deal, that's worth the gamble of replacing Eberle. Unless Nuge is traded and Draisaitl goes to the second line.
Maroon McDavid Eberle
Lucic Draisaitl Eaves

That's a great on paper top six. But Eberle and McDavid is a touchy subject around here.

Hanzal would be nice but not worth the price tag.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Eaves would be a really interesting addition. I just don't see him accomplishing what he's accomplished this season in Edmonton. He doesn't quite fit in the same way he does on the other two teams. On a two year deal, that's worth the gamble of replacing Eberle. Unless Nuge is traded and Draisaitl goes to the second line.
Maroon McDavid Eberle
Lucic Draisaitl Eaves

That's a great on paper top six. But Eberle and McDavid is a touchy subject around here.

I'd rather just wait until Puljujarvi is a top 6 winger then trade Eberle. Run Drai and Pulju as our top 2 right wingers and McDavid and RNH as the top 2 centres.

Edit:
Maroon McDavid Draisaitl
Lucic RNH Puljujarvi

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think we can spend 3.5 mill on a third line C. Once McDavid and Draisaitl's extensions kick in, we don't have that luxury anymore.

We have to find someone cheaper or develop someone from within who can win some face offs, but that isn't terribly difficult, I also think as time goes on both Draisaitl and McDavid will get better at face offs.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
He won't get close to that. He will get between 3.5 and 4.5. And I still wouldn't be making that offer if I'm the Oilers.

Because he's so good at what he does, Id' have to imagine that Free Agency bidding would push that up to the 4.5 mark, if not even a tough past it (which is more than you'd want to pay, but it is the Free Agency "pay more for assets than you really want to" Period.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Maroon McDavid Eberle
Lucic Draisaitl Eaves

To me Eaves is the epitome of player you avoid at all costs.

He'll be 33 next year and is having far and away the best year of his career playing with elite players, shooting ~5% above his career average.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Because he's so good at what he does, Id' have to imagine that Free Agency bidding would push that up to the 4.5 mark, if not even a tough past it (which is more than you'd want to pay, but it is the Free Agency "pay more for assets than you really want to" Period.

Simple. Trade RNH. Hanzal at 3.5M is better than RNH at 6M

Letestu makes 1.8. Is Hanzal really worth 2+ more than him?

Of course. Hanzal is worth 3.5M. At 6M, definitely not.

Our C depth would be McDavid, Drai and Hanzal.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Hanzel's typically never been a super strong 5v5 scorer. Considering he won't get PP here (I'll say that as even DD isn't getting PP time here), I'd be wary to giving him a contract worth more than 3.5/per. I'd make that contract offer, but this is a guy who's going to get a 4.5 to 5.5 contract this off season.

If you want a big centre go after Boyle, whom I'd have zero issue throwing a Boyd Gordon-like contract at. Though several other teams would jump at that opportunity too.

With this team likely losing Pouliot this offseason, they can afford to give out a slightly bigger contract to a bottom 6'er. The challenge is finding someone who can anchor the bottom 6 vs. just be an anchor...

Glass Eyes

Jan 2, 2017
Hanzal is a good third line guy who never stays healthy anymore. If he plays in all of the Wild's games left, he'll surpass 70 games for the first time in 7 years. The Oilers absolutely should not be investing in player's who can't stay healthy.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Team is in need of 2nd pairing RH who could run powerplay. We saw last summer what it costs to acquire good Dman. Benning's play has been surprising this year and he works well with Sekera, so how about finding good 3rd pairing Dman who is great on powerplay? I know that giving young player like Bennett big role without much competition is what has cost Oilers the last ten years. So I am not even sure myself about that, but this is forum where you can entertain ideas.

The name in my mind is Patrik Hersley. "Hersley is a big defenseman with a sound two-way game. Owns a howitzer of a shot from the point. Handles the puck well and is reliable in his own end with good hockey sense. Can play a physical game at times."

Chia likes big guys, he is swedish (we have friends to hang out) and imagine McDavid an Draisaitl feed him on the PP !

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=1288

Link to eliteprospect profile

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
He won't get close to that. He will get between 3.5 and 4.5. And I still wouldn't be making that offer if I'm the Oilers.

Hanzal will get 5 minimum and probably closer to 6. I'd put money on that.

Hanzel's typically never been a super strong 5v5 scorer. Considering he won't get PP here (I'll say that as even DD isn't getting PP time here), I'd be wary to giving him a contract worth more than 3.5/per. I'd make that contract offer, but this is a guy who's going to get a 4.5 to 5.5 contract this off season.

If you want a big centre go after Boyle, whom I'd have zero issue throwing a Boyd Gordon-like contract at. Though several other teams would jump at that opportunity too.

With this team likely losing Pouliot this offseason, they can afford to give out a slightly bigger contract to a bottom 6'er. The challenge is finding someone who can anchor the bottom 6 vs. just be an anchor...

Hanzal puts up decent 5vs5 offense. Higher points per 60 than RNH from 2011-2016 and only .02 points per game less. I don't think I'd be interested in him given his age and injury history, but he is a solid 2C with the numbers to back that up. I agree we can afford a more expensive bottom 6'er, and to me that would have to be in the 3C hole.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Team is in need of 2nd pairing RH who could run powerplay. We saw last summer what it costs to acquire good Dman. Benning's play has been surprising this year and he works well with Sekera, so how about finding good 3rd pairing Dman who is great on powerplay? I know that giving young player like Bennett big role without much competition is what has cost Oilers the last ten years. So I am not even sure myself about that, but this is forum where you can entertain ideas.

The name in my mind is Patrik Hersley. "Hersley is a big defenseman with a sound two-way game. Owns a howitzer of a shot from the point. Handles the puck well and is reliable in his own end with good hockey sense. Can play a physical game at times."

Chia likes big guys, he is swedish (we have friends to hang out) and imagine McDavid an Draisaitl feed him on the PP !

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=1288

Link to eliteprospect profile

Does he skate at an NHL level? He's played in the AHL with no tangible success. If he has all the PP tools he just needs to hold his own 5 on 5 in a 3rd pairing role.

Here's his HF page....

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/patrik_hersley/

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Does he skate at an NHL level? He's played in the AHL with no tangible success. If he has all the PP tools he just needs to hold his own 5 on 5 in a 3rd pairing role.

Here's his HF page....

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/patrik_hersley/
I am not expert of his game, but he didn't really success in Sweden before he came to NA. Probably bit of a late bloomer. From the video you can see bit of skating and it doesn't look that bad at all. I have to watch bit of todays KHL game. I will tell you in a while what I saw :)

Edit. He has 5+8=13 points in 9 games in KHL playoffs at the moment. Though playing in stacked SKA team.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'd like to see something like this next year;

Maroon-McDavid-Kassian
Lucic-Draisaitl-Eberle
Caggiula-RNH TRADE-Pitlick
Khaira-Letestu-Slepyshev
Pakarinen, Puljujarvi

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-RNH TRADE
Nurse-Benning
UFA signing

Talbot
Broissoit

-Pouliot gone to LV
-RNH for ??? (ideally maybe....Pysyk and Bjugstad + a pick)
-UFA = ??? (ideally an upgrade on Gryba)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad