Rumor: Rumors & Proposals | Moar NCAA Free Agents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I agree that the goal should be upgrading Russell rather than just getting an offensive defenseman. The open slot in the roster is the second pairing RHD. If the Oilers could really get someone like Hamonic for Eberle + then while they would lack a true offensive defenseman I think they would be very solid on the back end while keeping the cap commitment very low for the quality of the defense.

Very true, and it's not like our PP is desperately needing that defenseman anyways. A perennial top 5 PP is very possible just on the back of McDavid, Drai, and Lucic. Puljujarvi should be a fixture on it as a RH shot soon enough too.

A physical guy with shutdown ability like Hamonic or Petrovic who score at ES near the same rate as Barrie/Faulk would be preferred in my opinion.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
They would have to expose someone like Eberle or RNH instead then, which would be stupid. Maybe Vegas doesn't bite on either of them but it's not a great risk to take.

Oilers have to expose 2 of RNH, Eberle, Pouliot, Maroon, and Letestu to meet the requirements. Lucic would count but the NMC prevents him from being exposed.

As of right now, yes. They could sign Pakarinen, Pitlick, or Desharnais to a one year extension to change that though.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
They would have to expose someone like Eberle or RNH instead then, which would be stupid. Maybe Vegas doesn't bite on either of them but it's not a great risk to take.

Oilers have to expose 2 of RNH, Eberle, Pouliot, Maroon, and Letestu to meet the requirements. Lucic would count but the NMC prevents him from being exposed.

All they have to do is have a qualifying offer for one of Kassian, Pakarinen or Lander submitted before the deadline for lists and that player along with Pouliot will meet the 40/70 requirements for forwards.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Really is a shame Justin Schultz did not work out here. An extra 48 points from the blue line would look good.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Really is a shame Justin Schultz did not work out here. An extra 48 points from the blue line would look good.

Eh, **** happens sometimes between players and teams.

All you have to do is look at Maroon and ANA.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
All they have to do is have a qualifying offer for one of Kassian, Pakarinen or Lander submitted before the deadline for lists and that player along with Pouliot will meet the 40/70 requirements for forwards.

My understanding is they need 2 forwards actually under for next season who meet the 40/70 games to meet the requirements. Being an RFA wont cut it for meeting the requirements.

Pouliot will certainly be one. But we need a contract for one of the other guys to be actually signed.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He's ninth in forward scoring. A point up on Seguin. Four points up on Granlund, Penn and Panarin.

Wouldn't take that much for him to get caught. Even if he only gets three or four points the rest of the way home. That would be far from going ice cold.

Since he has been paired with McDavid 3 points in 7 games is pretty much going ice cold. Look at his game logs. Those two have been remarkably consistent in terms of generating points. Honestly I could only find one 7 game stretch in that period where Leon has 3 or less points and that was during the stretch where they played Washington, Nashville, Montreal, Pittsburgh mostly on the road. You also have to remember that if there is a tie he gets his bonus so Granlund, Benn and Panarin would have to outscore him by 5 points over a 7 or 8 game period. That is a big deficit at this time of the year over a guy who has been over a ppg since December 1.

Panarin might be the guy (outside of Sequin) with the best chance. But Chicago only has 7 games left with some tough ones on the road, and it would not surprise me if they sit Kane in their last game of the year.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
My understanding is they need 2 forwards actually under for next season who meet the 40/70 games to meet the requirements. Being an RFA wont cut it for meeting the requirements.

Pouliot will certainly be one. But we need a contract for one of the other guys to be actually signed.

I'm sure I saw somewhere that RFA's who had been qualified could be used towards the 40/70 requirements, but I can't seem to find it now. Even if they don't, it shouldn't be hard to extend Kassian before expansion to have the second forward. I'm fairly confident that Pouliot, Kassian and Fayne will be the players to meet those requirements.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Very true, and it's not like our PP is desperately needing that defenseman anyways. A perennial top 5 PP is very possible just on the back of McDavid, Drai, and Lucic. Puljujarvi should be a fixture on it as a RH shot soon enough too.

A physical guy with shutdown ability like Hamonic or Petrovic who score at ES near the same rate as Barrie/Faulk would be preferred in my opinion.

Totally spot on and you correctly identify the ES scoring issue which is important. Our PP is rocking and we don't need an over-paid defensive liability like Faulk or Barrie when we have Klef and can use a 4th forward like we are now. What we do need is a bigger, physical, defensively reliable 2RD who can skate, pass and give Sekera/Nurse more offensive freedom. Basically Larsson lite who is capable of moving up to top pair for a time if/when he's hurt. That's our achilles heel - a Larsson injury. Can you imagine a Klef/Barrie combo facing tough opposition? They would be destroyed.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Totally spot on and you correctly identify the ES scoring issue which is important. Our PP is rocking and we don't need an over-paid defensive liability like Faulk or Barrie when we have Klef and can use a 4th forward like we are now. What we do need is a bigger, physical, defensively reliable 2RD who can skate, pass and give Sekera/Nurse more offensive freedom. Basically Larsson lite who is capable of moving up to top pair for a time if/when he's hurt. That's our achilles heel - a Larsson injury. Can you imagine a Klef/Barrie combo facing tough opposition? They would be destroyed.

What do you think of Petrovic? I think he's an underrated target with some untapped potential. He's only played 153 NHL games and is just getting into the range you'd expect to get his best years.

Petrovic's points per 60 5vs5 this year and last combined- 1.08. Same number as Parayko and just behind names like Josi, Klingberg, and Letang. I know he doesn't play as many minutes as those guys, but he plays the type of game that could really pair nicely with Sekera's IMO. Florida may be forced to expose him to Vegas if they don't want to lose a good young forward like Smith, Bjugstad, or Marchewhateverhisname is.

Hamonic and David Savard would be my other top picks as trade targets to compete the defense.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Trade Hopkins for a 2nd pairing right handed d-man that can move the puck competently, let russel walk.
Trade Eberle for the best package of picks/prospects we can get. I don't care if we don't get a 1st rounder. 6M cap space created.
Sign Hanzal/Boyle to play center.
Bribe Vegas to take Pouliot.

Maroon-McDavid-Drake
Lucic-Leon-Pitlick
Sleplev-Hanzal(4.25M per year for 4 seasons)-Kassian
Juju-Letesnu-Pacman

Klefbom-Larson
Sekera-New guy from Hopkins trade
Nurse-Benning

Yeah. That's a lot of moving pieces and we don't have much star power on the RW, but we have a nice variety of right wingers and we've still got Puljujarvi down in the system.

I'd offer Vegas Eberle for a 2018 2nd and a 2019 3rd if they agreed to take Pouliot in the expansion draft.

Actually gives us enough cap space to go out and sign a UFA RW to a 2-3 year deal. Heck... with all that space some would debate that we'd have a shot at landing Oshie. :)

Pitlick 2nd line.?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yes?

Get used to cheap wingers once Drai and McDavid are being paid in full.

Tyler Pitlick is useless when he's playing anywhere above his ability. He doesn't make decisions with the puck quickly enough to be an effective scoring winger. He's a fourth liner through and through.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Tyler Pitlick is useless when he's playing anywhere above his ability. He doesn't make decisions with the puck quickly enough to be an effective scoring winger. He's a fourth liner through and through.

Sounds like Maroon.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Pitlick without his injuries is a top 6 winger imo. Thats just woulda, coulda, shoulda talk tho. Currently he is a fourth liner but certainly still has the potential to be more. Old as he is, his development hopefully has been delayed rather than destroyed... Assuming he will stick with the Oilers that is. If he goes somewhere else hopefully he regresses lol.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

He'd be fine as a complementary winger who was not counted on to carry and make skilled plays with the puck. He could be more than a 4th liner in the right situation. The numbers he put up this year might be unsustainable but has shown he can find the back of the net. We're still waiting for RNH to pass him in 5vs5 goals going into game 76, and T-Pitts only played 31.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Here's something close to what I would try to do..

Assuming something around 9 for McDavid and 6 for Draisaitl. We sign Kassian, Pitlick, Desharnais, Khaira, Gryba. Give Vegas our 2nd round pick to take Pouliot in expansion. Project Pulju to 2nd line RW next season. Buyout Mark Fayne.

- Eberle for Hamonic
- Buy low on center like Girgensons

Maroon (1.5) - McDavid (3.75) - Draisaitl (6)
Lucic (6) - Nugent-Hopkins (6) - Puljujarvi (3.4)
Caggiula (1.3) - Girgensons (2) - Kassian (1.2)
Slepyshev (1.5) - Letestu (1.85) - Pitlick (0.8)
Desharnais (1.2) - Khaira (0.7)

Klefbom (4.1) - Larsson (4.1)
Sekera (5.5) - Hamonic (3.8)
Nurse (1.7) - Benning (1)
Gryba (0.8)

Talbot (4.1)
Brossoit (0.7)

Clear some cap by trading Eberle and replace Russell while doing so. Bring back as much depth as possible. Desharnais seems to be a decent fit here, and probably knows he won't have much else out there. I'd look to sign him 1 year cheap.

If we can't get Hamonic, I think Eberle for a 2nd pairing defenseman is a move that makes sense. Ideally we'd get a puckmover but right now doesn't look like anything will be out there.

IMO we can't afford to sign someone like Hanzal. It would cost us in the future.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
St Louis only has 6M in space next year as of right now. They do have 21 players signed but RFA Parayko might be well within his right to ask for an Ekblad type deal. With the Blues signing Berglund to an extension, would Sobotka's rights be available? Or would a massive offer sheet to Parayko be in order? Blues would probably match anything though.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He'd be fine as a complementary winger who was not counted on to carry and make skilled plays with the puck. He could be more than a 4th liner in the right situation. The numbers he put up this year might be unsustainable but has shown he can find the back of the net. We're still waiting for RNH to pass him in 5vs5 goals going into game 76, and T-Pitts only played 31.

That's the problem with basing those assumptions strictly on stats. How do you think the Oilers would be sitting if Tyler Pitlick had played Nuge's minutes this year? I'd argue we wouldn't be sitting in a playoff spot.

I'm not trying to throw the guy under the bus either. But he just doesn't handle the puck well and he is by no means elusive. And those are two very important qualities to have if you want to be an effective scoring forward. He is a straight-forward, hit everything type player. His game is built for the fourth line.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
What do you think of Petrovic? I think he's an underrated target with some untapped potential. He's only played 153 NHL games and is just getting into the range you'd expect to get his best years.

Petrovic's points per 60 5vs5 this year and last combined- 1.08. Same number as Parayko and just behind names like Josi, Klingberg, and Letang. I know he doesn't play as many minutes as those guys, but he plays the type of game that could really pair nicely with Sekera's IMO. Florida may be forced to expose him to Vegas if they don't want to lose a good young forward like Smith, Bjugstad, or Marchewhateverhisname is.

Hamonic and David Savard would be my other top picks as trade targets to compete the defense.

Sure all those guys make some sense. Petro is the lesser player and FLA will probably have to expose him - but I think we should aim higher. Hamonic is having a bad year so may be available cheaper, Savard has always been a favorite but would be hard to pull out of Columbus. Both guys have good contracts. The MIN pair of Dumba/Brodin may be available and are good fits as well. Brodin rebounded nicely this season and has a Klef/Larsson type affordable contract. Lots of options but Hamonic remains my favorite.

Last edited:

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Here's something close to what I would try to do..

Assuming something around 9 for McDavid and 6 for Draisaitl. We sign Kassian, Pitlick, Desharnais, Khaira, Gryba. Give Vegas our 2nd round pick to take Pouliot in expansion. Project Pulju to 2nd line RW next season. Buyout Mark Fayne.

- Eberle for Hamonic
- Buy low on center like Girgensons

Maroon (1.5) - McDavid (3.75) - Draisaitl (6)
Lucic (6) - Nugent-Hopkins (6) - Puljujarvi (3.4)
Caggiula (1.3) - Girgensons (2) - Kassian (1.2)
Slepyshev (1.5) - Letestu (1.85) - Pitlick (0.8)
Desharnais (1.2) - Khaira (0.7)

Klefbom (4.1) - Larsson (4.1)
Sekera (5.5) - Hamonic (3.8)
Nurse (1.7) - Benning (1)
Gryba (0.8)

Talbot (4.1)
Brossoit (0.7)

Clear some cap by trading Eberle and replace Russell while doing so. Bring back as much depth as possible. Desharnais seems to be a decent fit here, and probably knows he won't have much else out there. I'd look to sign him 1 year cheap.

If we can't get Hamonic, I think Eberle for a 2nd pairing defenseman is a move that makes sense. Ideally we'd get a puckmover but right now doesn't look like anything will be out there.

IMO we can't afford to sign someone like Hanzal. It would cost us in the future.

Love it. Almost exactly what I'd do. But if we sign Desharnais, he shouldn't be a healthy scratch.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Does Eberle's slight uptick in play lately mean the Oilers won't be selling at a discount when they dump him this summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad