Rumor: Rumors & Proposals | Moar NCAA Free Agents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Other thread has gone past 1000.

When we start to say add player X. Might I suggest a quick look at the future cap situation?

Leon D is heading for 6mill or not more and mcdavid at 10mill if not more.

When we get the bonuses overages we will why we need to pay attention.

Eastern talking heads are saying if Leon hits his bonuses we will have at least 1 mill carryover.

Saying moving everle and huge is the answer... To whom and how do we replaced them?

Discuss our next moves

Last edited by a moderator:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Lets see how we do in the playoffs with Eberle, Nuge, Russell, Desharnais etc...
IMO Pouliot goes first, Eberle next. Just not Chia players.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I mean... I'm pretty sure they have an idea of who will eventually replace Eberle. Even if they hold on to him for a bit longer, and even if they didn't need the cap space, he's gone the second Pulju shows he's NHL ready.

RNH might be a bit tougher in the immediate future just because I think they'll lose Letestu to Vegas, and losing 2 of their 4 Cs would suck even if Drai slides back down.

Last edited:

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I mean... I'm pretty sure they have an idea of who will eventually replace Eberle. Even if they hold on to him for a bit longer, and even if they didn't need the cap space, he's gone the second Pulju shows he's NHL ready.

RNH might be a bit tougher in the immediate future just because I think they'll lose Letestu to Vegas, and losing 2 of their 4 Cs would suck even if Drai slides back down.

Letestu will most likely be one of our protected players.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I'd like to see us sign Tkachev to a one year deal at around 1 mil and see what he can do in the NHL. He's a natural RW, and has quite a bit of skill as most of us know, so he might just click with McDavid or Drai (if he's playing center). I think it's worth a shot. If he proves he can produce, then he provides a much cheaper alternative to Eberle, and we can dish Eberle off for picks or whatever.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Trade Hopkins for a 2nd pairing right handed d-man that can move the puck competently, let russel walk.
Trade Eberle for the best package of picks/prospects we can get. I don't care if we don't get a 1st rounder. 6M cap space created.
Sign Hanzal/Boyle to play center.
Bribe Vegas to take Pouliot.

Maroon-McDavid-Drake
Lucic-Leon-Pitlick
Sleplev-Hanzal(4.25M per year for 4 seasons)-Kassian
Juju-Letesnu-Pacman

Klefbom-Larson
Sekera-New guy from Hopkins trade
Nurse-Benning

Yeah. That's a lot of moving pieces and we don't have much star power on the RW, but we have a nice variety of right wingers and we've still got Puljujarvi down in the system.

I'd offer Vegas Eberle for a 2018 2nd and a 2019 3rd if they agreed to take Pouliot in the expansion draft.

Actually gives us enough cap space to go out and sign a UFA RW to a 2-3 year deal. Heck... with all that space some would debate that we'd have a shot at landing Oshie. :)

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
Trade Hopkins for a 2nd pairing right handed d-man that can move the puck competently, let russel walk.
Trade Eberle for the best package of picks/prospects we can get. I don't care if we don't get a 1st rounder. 6M cap space created.

Maroon-McDavid-Drake
Lucic-Leon-Pitlick
Juju-Letesnu-Pacman

Klefbom-Larson
Nurse-Benning

Yeah. That's a lot of moving pieces and we don't have much star power on the RW, but we have a nice variety of right wingers and we've still got Puljujarvi down in the system.

I'd offer Vegas Eberle for a 2018 2nd and a 2019 3rd if they agreed to take Pouliot in the expansion draft.

Actually gives us enough cap space to go out and sign a UFA RW to a 2-3 year deal. Heck... with all that space some would debate that we'd have a shot at landing Oshie. :)

I would like a 3c that doesn't have injury problems, Hanzal is nice but if he is not able to play for us when it counts then what's the point, i think if we trade Eberle we can get a very good 3c in the deal

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

When we start to say add player X. Might I suggest a quick look at the future cap situation?

Eastern talking heads are saying if Leon hits his bonuses we will have at least 1 mill carryover.

Saying moving everle and huge is the answer... To whom and how do we replaced them?

Discuss our next moves

Shark Boi have a few too many drinks last night?

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

Discuss our next moves

Yeah they said if he finishes top 10 in scoring he gets a 1.6M bonus. So...cheer for Draisaitl to play well but cheer for Seguin and Burns to get more points the rest of the way so Draisaitl finishes in 11th...got it.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
Yeah they said if he finishes top 10 in scoring he gets a 1.6M bonus. So...cheer for Draisaitl to play well but cheer for Seguin and Burns to get more points the rest of the way so Draisaitl finishes in 11th...got it.
I think it's top 10 in forwards.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015

Maroon-McDavid-Drake
Lucic-Leon-Pitlick
Juju-Letesnu-Pacman

Klefbom-Larson
Nurse-Benning

That forward lineup you have is terrible pitlick is a 4th liner

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think there is a good chance we trade one of Eberle or RNH, but almost no chance we trade both. Considering the success we've had this year, we won't make radical changes.

However, we might want the cap flexibility of moving one of the big contracts, and we definitely could use another move (ie trade for Barrie). As for who goes, I wouldn't guess. That depends not only on how these two do in the playoffs, but what the team we're trading with would want.

But there is a chance we trade neither. Right now, everyone on the team is an Oiler, we can't make a trade, and these are our guys going into the playoffs and I support them all 100%

And btw, there's almost no chance we re-sign Draisaitl for 6.0 aav. More like 7, but at the very least the MacKinnon number of 6.5. We should have re-signed Drai last summer, but maybe Drai wanted to go this route.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I think there is a good chance we trade one of Eberle or RNH, but almost no chance we trade both. Considering the success we've had this year, we won't make radical changes.

However, we might want the cap flexibility of moving one of the big contracts, and we definitely could use another move (ie trade for Barrie). As for who goes, I wouldn't guess. That depends not only on how these two do in the playoffs, but what the team we're trading with would want.

But there is a chance we trade neither. Right now, everyone on the team is an Oiler, we can't make a trade, and these are our guys going into the playoffs and I support them all 100%

And btw, there's almost no chance we re-sign Draisaitl for 6.0 aav. More like 7, but at the very least the number of 6.5. We should have re-signed Drai last summer, but maybe Drai wanted to go this route.

Have to lock Drai up now long term, and I'm glad they didn't give him one of those $6 mil deals last year. All that did was poison the other guys who got paid and didn't earn it.

As for Barrie, I'd do Eberle or RNh for Barrie in a heartbeat, but I have to say that the guy was totally invisible last night... I guess playing on a brutal team somehow made all that talent invisible, but I just don't get how a team with those guys sucks this bad.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I really don't see that offensive RHD as a big need anymore. Klefbom, despite being a lefty, has it covered IMO. Nurse and Benning, and maybe Larsson should make small to big steps in their offensive game as well.

My first priority is cap space. So that means likely moving Pouliot, re-signing Pitlick, etc. Maybe re-sign Desharnais, not sure yet.

Fill up bottom 6 spots with cheap, young, good players. Caggiula, Slepyshev, etc should provide good competition in the bottom 6. If Puljujarvi establishes himself as a top 6 winger, trade Eberle. Don't take too much salary back, but don't give him away for less than his value either.

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Puljujarvi
Slepyshev-Desharnais-Pitlick
Caggiula-Letestu-Kassian

Am I missing anybody?

I want to switch Slepyshev and Caggiula, but Caggiula-Desharnais doesn't have enough size for me.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

And btw, there's almost no chance we re-sign Draisaitl for 6.0 aav. More like 7, but at the very least the MacKinnon number of 6.5. We should have re-signed Drai last summer, but maybe Drai wanted to go this route.

If I had to make an assumption that one of them will be moved this summer, I'd say the groundwork for an Eberle for Ryan Strome + swap has already been laid. There was a lot of smoke around them at the deadline. But I don't think there's a small chance RNH moves. McLellan likes his centers.

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
I really could see an Eberle/RNH for Faulk deal coming up.

Carolina needs offensive depth all around and are stacked at D. Faulk has been less impressive this year and has been bumped down. We could shelter him and he does have a point shot giving us a good option on the PP. He comes in at a 4.833 cap hit, so 1.167 savings a year.

Chia will probably chase some depth players from FA. Boyle, Bonino, Hanzal, Williams are all vets that can slide around the bottom six and briefly step up to the 2nd line if needed.

One can dream anyways.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I really don't see that offensive RHD as a big need anymore. Klefbom, despite being a lefty, has it covered IMO. Nurse and Benning, and maybe Larsson should make small to big steps in their offensive game as well.

My first priority is cap space. So that means likely moving Pouliot, re-signing Pitlick, etc. Maybe re-sign Desharnais, not sure yet.

Fill up bottom 6 spots with cheap, young, good players. Caggiula, Slepyshev, etc should provide good competition in the bottom 6. If Puljujarvi establishes himself as a top 6 winger, trade Eberle. Don't take too much salary back, but don't give him away for less than his value either.

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Puljujarvi
Slepyshev-Desharnais-Pitlick
Caggiula-Letestu-Kassian

Am I missing anybody?

I want to switch Slepyshev and Caggiula, but Caggiula-Desharnais doesn't have enough size for me.

What does Klefbom have covered? He's ~50th in the league in points by d-men. Sekera is a bit better around ~30th. We still don't have that true offensive threat from the blue line that can really push the pace and contribute offensively night in and night out.

But honestly I don't think it's so much about getting an "offensive" RHD, I think it should be about finding an upgrade on Russell who can play his proper side and bring more of a transition ability to our 2nd pairing.

I guess the question is if we should aim for maintaining the season we've just had or taking a step forward. We've made some amazing strides this year, so maybe next year we should try and keep things relatively the same and try and have some internal improvements to push us to the next level. Or alternatively is this summer the time to really go for it and try and establish the team as a potential elite one by addressing the one or two holes that it really seems to have.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
What does Klefbom have covered? He's ~50th in the league in points by d-men. Sekera is a bit better around ~30th. We still don't have that true offensive threat from the blue line that can really push the pace and contribute offensively night in and night out.

But honestly I don't think it's so much about getting an "offensive" RHD, I think it should be about finding an upgrade on Russell who can play his proper side and bring more of a transition ability to our 2nd pairing.

I guess the question is if we should aim for maintaining the season we've just had or taking a step forward. We've made some amazing strides this year, so maybe next year we should try and keep things relatively the same and try and have some internal improvements to push us to the next level. Or alternatively is this summer the time to really go for it and try and establish the team as a potential elite one by addressing the one or two holes that it really seems to have.

I agree that the goal should be upgrading Russell rather than just getting an offensive defenseman. The open slot in the roster is the second pairing RHD. If the Oilers could really get someone like Hamonic for Eberle + then while they would lack a true offensive defenseman I think they would be very solid on the back end while keeping the cap commitment very low for the quality of the defense.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think the Faulk, Barrie, etc suggestions are a bit pie in the sky. If you're looking for a PP shooter, you can keep the defense you have this year and simply replace Gryba with Franson as your 6/7 on the short term. Doing this doesn't disrupt the progress made this season and it also keeps the cost down in both salary and personnel.

Franson's got size, physicality, experience and he's still considerably young.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
It is forwards. Unless Leon goes ice cold he has almost locked up the full bonus.

He's ninth in forward scoring. A point up on Seguin. Four points up on Granlund, Penn and Panarin.

Wouldn't take that much for him to get caught. Even if he only gets three or four points the rest of the way home. That would be far from going ice cold.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Chia will sign McDavid first to get the cap structure set, and then everyone else will come in below him.

My prediction:

McDavid - 9M/year
Drai - 6.5M/year

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
Chia will sign McDavid first to get the cap structure set, and then everyone else will come in below him.

My prediction:

McDavid - 9M/year
Drai - 6.5M/year

Between the 2 I can see a similar hit overall. McDavid is smart enough to know that he can't have such a high hit to build a competitive team as well. I could see him coming in at 8.5 with shorter term (6 years).

With the way Draisaitl has shown lately, 6.5 is light. I can see him getting to the 7-7.5 range.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Between the 2 I can see a similar hit overall. McDavid is smart enough to know that he can't have such a high hit to build a competitive team as well. I could see him coming in at 8.5 with shorter term (6 years).

With the way Draisaitl has shown lately, 6.5 is light. I can see him getting to the 7-7.5 range.

An arguement could be made that Mark Scheifele got 8 years, 6.125 aav. I like Drai, but I don't think he's any better than Scheifele.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Letestu will most likely be one of our protected players.

They would have to expose someone like Eberle or RNH instead then, which would be stupid. Maybe Vegas doesn't bite on either of them but it's not a great risk to take.

Oilers have to expose 2 of RNH, Eberle, Pouliot, Maroon, and Letestu to meet the requirements. Lucic would count but the NMC prevents him from being exposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad