Rumor: Rumors & Proposals: "Looking for a trade to happen, making stops along the way."

In the spirit of Cloned's poll threads, what is highest on your offseason Oilers wish list?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Those numbers are off for a few people IMO.
- Smith seems about right
- Yams won't get 3, more like 1.5-1.75 I would think, likely on a 2 year deal
- RNH seems about right
- Larsson was rumored to be in the high 3s or low 4s
- Barrie likely gets more than that, but not from us. Bouchard will be replacing him at 0.86 M

So I would say you are high by about 2.5-3 M and then we'll have another 4 M from playing Bouchard over Barrie. You can get a pretty darn good player for 6.5-7 M. We are also EXCEPTIONALLY likely to buyout Neal this year or next and save 3.8 M. However I am not using that money, as we'll need it to sign Nurse and Pulj next offseason, so even if we buy him out this year, I have us not using it until next year. Nurse likely gets a 2-3M raise and Pulj maybe a 1-2 M raise (depending on play). The 4.5 M we'll be saving on the Koskinen deal ending I just have ear-marked to go back into tending costs.

At any point, I think we have about 6.5-7 M more to use this year than your numbers above show.

Yeah, you're probably right that Barrie is getting that somewhere else and let's say Yamo gets 2mil. I think my point is I'm seeing a lot of these lists have us getting guys like Coleman, Rakell, Hamilton, Hyman etc, I can see us making a play for one bigger signing, but likely aren't going to be seeing us get 3 big names off the board.

We also have Jujhar, Kahun who if we do re sign will probably get close to league min but will still take 1.5M off our cap. I'm also not sure what the deal is with Klefbom, I'd love him back but thats 4.167 off our cap if he plays.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Not in disagreement, but Turris was a small gamble that just didn't pay off. His inability to generate offense was a much bigger disappointment than his ability to prevent goals being given up.

He's a player I expect to work hard this summer to salvage what's left of his career.

I wasn't a big fan of the gamble. Didn't cost much in the grand scheme of things, but the team really could have used a sure thing.

There's always so many cheap known commodities available for the bottom six.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I wasn't a big fan of the gamble. Didn't cost much in the grand scheme of things, but the team really could have used a sure thing.

There's always so many cheap known commodities available for the bottom six.
The problem I have with off-season trades and UFA signings is that there generally are no 'sure things'. The prices are high and the players that are available are generally ones that are on the outs.

You might see a handful of 'good' bottom six players, but the best bottom six players we've added in recent history have come late in the off-season. Josh Archibald, Devin Shore... those are the guys I look at as 'good' adds.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Going to be weird when RNH gets more money with more term than Hall.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I am stuck somewhere in between "hurry up and doing something" and "I hope the pro scouts dont set this team back 5 years with bad contracts".
I am just apathetic this year. Tired of hearing this Franchise say over and over that the growth is coming, Just to sign underperforming 4th liners to contracts and convince the fanbase they are seeing improvement

Reactions: Duke74

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I am just apathetic this year. Tired of hearing this Franchise say over and over that the growth is coming, Just to sign underperforming 4th liners to contracts and convince the fanbase they are seeing improvement

I’d like to give them a chance now that there is actual cap to spend. Just hope Lowetide’s speculation is wrong, that would be a very underwhelming off season

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
And those numbers terrify me. 8 million for ~50 points is a lot of money. If you can get Coleman for 3.5-4, and Goodrow for 1.75-2.25, sure. If it’s more, it’s just another bad contract we have to work around. I’d easily rather have Nuge back and wasting away on the 3rd line for 6 million than pay Coleman 5. Paying big money to role players on contending teams is rarely a good idea.
I have said this about Goodrow a few times. Whoever gets him will have fans excited to see he signed with them, and then sick to their stomach to see the contract he gets. It's going to be a very "Chris Tanev" contract.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'd give Goodrow $3M without even blinking.

We haven't had an NHL #3C in decades. It would go a long way when we're breaking in all those young wingers that are getting close.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I mean it's possible Kassian's traded for his replacement if the Rangers or Pens' interest is to be believe.

Now Kassian is overpaid for his role, but I will say if you move him and don't replace his size, that could become a slight concern for the team lacking some size and grit upfront. Again, OVERPAID, but that's a hole you could create.
I think between Coleman, Hyman, Saad and Goodrow there's enough jam in FA to replace any grit we may lose.

Another option I stumbled upon was Pittsburgh may be moving Kapanen to free space to go shopping for grit. Maybe Kassian+ for Kapanen if they truely are looking for some toughness.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I have said this about Goodrow a few times. Whoever gets him will have fans excited to see he signed with them, and then sick to their stomach to see the contract he gets. It's going to be a very "Chris Tanev" contract.

Yep. That’s the same feeling I’ve got (assuming you mean Brandon Tanev that is)

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think between Coleman, Hyman, Saad and Goodrow there's enough jam in FA to replace any grit we may lose.

Another option I stumbled upon was Pittsburgh may be moving Kapanen to free space to go shopping for grit. Maybe Kassian+ for Kapanen if they truely are looking for some toughness.
Can't disagree, and it's not as if I would super opposed to moving Kassian, it's just grit and toughness isn't something the team should go without, and it shouldn't be all on Nurse, especially where his game is at.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Can't disagree, and it's not as if I would super opposed to moving Kassian, it's just grit and toughness isn't something the team should go without, and it shouldn't be all on Nurse, especially where his game is at.
The team needs more grit IMO and 200ft forwards to compliment our stars, but Kassian doesn't provide what we need. Tampa isn't a "tough" team, they're just balanced and willing to be gritty to win, don't need coke machines like Kassian anymore, but I do miss Maroon so much.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The team needs more grit IMO and 200ft forwards to compliment our stars, but Kassian doesn't provide what we need. Tampa isn't a "tough" team, they're just balanced and willing to be gritty to win, don't need coke machines like Kassian anymore, but I do miss Maroon so much.
I miss Maroon too, Tampa is getting pushed around it spots against the Isles. Tampa's secret is also being $20M over the cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad