Rumor: Rumors & Proposals: "But it was not, an interesting day" - the narrator

Will it be an interesting (Fri)day in Oil Country?

• Sources say it could be

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • Sources say nothing imminent

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • Sources say tarot cards are my sources

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Sources say "ask again later".

Votes: 63 47.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Cashing in (wishful) proposals:

Ceci + Puljujarvi + Bourgault for Parayko at 5M per

Barrie + Foegele + 1st + Bouchard for EK at 7M per

Yamamoto+ Nemelainen+ Schaefer for Kane (50%) + Lafferty

Nurse-Parayko
Broberg-EK
Kulak-Desharnais

Reactions: DaGap

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Karlsson is kind of a tough one as he also has to waive to come here.

So we need not only a deal we would do but the sharks GM would need to be happy and he would need to want to spend 4 seasons in Edmonton haha.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
We sat probably our best PKer because this Yamamoto-Puljujarvi farce needs to continue for as long as humanly possible I guess.

NYR scored 2 PP goals against, same story as the game before where Detroit got 2 free PP goals like free Halloween candy. Our PK sucks without Desharnais. Simple as that.
Ceci Bouchard and Broberg all have allowed fewer Power play goals against per 60 than VD He is slightly better than Kulak Nurse and Nemo Stop acting like a 7thD man is the best PK player ever

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
Karlsson is kind of a tough one as he also has to waive to come here.

So we need not only a deal we would do but the sharks GM would need to be happy and he would need to want to spend 4 seasons in Edmonton haha.
I can't imagine trades like this go down with
"Hey Karlsson, I've spent nearly 3 long grueling weeks working out a trade to Edmonton, you down?"
"Nope"

TGOSnipes99

Feb 5, 2023
I don't think I ever heard or read about Toronto looking at ROR. Felt surprised seeing that one. Interested to see if he looks any good there

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Macblender

May 5, 2014
"Hey Karlsson, I've spent nearly 3 long grueling weeks working out a trade to Edmonton, you down?"
"Nope"
Yeah I am saying more in line with he communicates he is open to it but not fully decided.

He has refused to waive for us once before during the mcdavid era per chiarelli.

There is all manner of stuff that could hold something like this up including Karlsson being like 50/50 on if he wants to commit 4 seasons for sure.

Edit: also it isn’t as if a GM is going to ask a star player if they would waive at least early in negotiations as that is disruptive to the player and you don’t even know if the other team will give up pieces that make it worth your while.

Last edited:

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I guess this is it.. this is our window so sell the farm.

If you disregard the players on the team and are asked a hypothetical. Given X team that's in 12th place at the trade deadline. Would you trade the farm in hopes of a stanley cup? 12th of 16 teams in the playoffs. I mean serious asset investments. Not a 2nd rounder here and there etc.

Just thought we'd sell the farm to do some playoff damage. We're in 12th place overall.. 12th place with a tough schedule to go. We're going to have to sell the farm to make it.

Normally I'd say wtf.. you don't sell the farm when you're only an above average team given the hypothetical above. You sell the farm when you have a strong team. A top10 team... maybe .. a top 5 team.. hell yah I understand that.

But given the context of our situation I understand. Sell the farm and pray we have one of those rare above average team cup runs. It worked in 2006 I guess. St Louis managed it. I don't see this team getting any better organically via their picks and prospects. Above average is the best the organization can muster.

A trade is needed. This team loses it's heartbeat during the doldrums of an NHL season. Sleepy and disinterested before waking up for a spell before nodding off. A trade is needed to resuscitate them unfortunately. That is the issue with the Oilers. They need constant resuscitation and can't bring their game with any sort of consistency. I'd go so far to say as they player doesn't really matter. as long as the trade looks big on paper and motivates a team that has trouble keeping motivated.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The way I'm starting to look at it - we can hardly field enough players on our roster as it is, without sending people down and/or putting them on IR, let alone bring in higher priced better players. Our cap situation has been so mismanaged it's an absolute joke.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I think you can sell every prospect minus Holloway, borgault, and Broberg honestly. 1sts plus for the next few years in terms of picks should all be on the table as we can hope they are late.

Those three are the highest hopes of providing cheap depth over near term.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
"Nope"

There's no way if I was the Oilers I wouldn't say early in the process "you find out whether or not he will waive to come here or not, otherwise we're just wasting each other's time, we're only going to engage in discussions past this point once we know he will waive or not so if you want to keep doing this, you better find out now".

Period.

Reactions: Biltmore

commie

Jul 30, 2005
Lack of cap space for tangible upgrades. Plus McDavid isn’t going to finish his contract here if we keep being first round fodder.

that is a ridiculous take. So is Matthews and Marner going to finish their contract with the leafs since they have been first round fodder?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
These threads fill up fast this time of year...this one is over 40 pages already, posted a new thread if a mod wants to put this horse out to pasture:

1676742521545.gif

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think you can sell every prospect minus Holloway, borgault, and Broberg honestly. 1sts plus for the next few years in terms of picks should all be on the table as we can hope they are late.

Those three are the highest hopes of providing cheap depth over near term.
I'm afraid we may just have to clean out the cupboard just to get rid of people, before we can make some actual trades.. Which is a very strong possiblity. Meanwhile, other teams that actually have cap room are making trades and introducing new salary.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Im starting to be onboard with EK65, one of Barrie, Ceci should go if he comes. Though icing 7Ds could be a strength..

But I want to keep fogele now whrn he is starting to find his game. Give away
Jesse, Yamamoto instead.
Fogele is maybe not 2,7m$, but 2,3m$. So why not keep him.

Ceci can be kept as a #4 , I think he can do that. I also like to try put VD more.

Nurse EK65
Kulak Barrie/Ceci one gets traded.
Broberg Bouchard/VD as 7D

And that Puljujärvi trade, I feel something crashed, he has probably sunk his value.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I guess this is it.. this is our window so sell the farm.

If you disregard the players on the team and are asked a hypothetical. Given X team that's in 12th place at the trade deadline. Would you trade the farm in hopes of a stanley cup? 12th of 16 teams in the playoffs. I mean serious asset investments. Not a 2nd rounder here and there etc.

Just thought we'd sell the farm to do some playoff damage. We're in 12th place overall.. 12th place with a tough schedule to go. We're going to have to sell the farm to make it.

Normally I'd say wtf.. you don't sell the farm when you're only an above average team given the hypothetical above. You sell the farm when you have a strong team. A top10 team... maybe .. a top 5 team.. hell yah I understand that.

But given the context of our situation I understand. Sell the farm and pray we have one of those rare above average team cup runs. It worked in 2006 I guess. St Louis managed it. I don't see this team getting any better organically via their picks and prospects. Above average is the best the organization can muster.

A trade is needed. This team loses it's heartbeat during the doldrums of an NHL season. Sleepy and disinterested before waking up for a spell before nodding off. A trade is needed to resuscitate them unfortunately. That is the issue with the Oilers. They need constant resuscitation and can't bring their game with any sort of consistency. I'd go so far to say as they player doesn't really matter. as long as the trade looks big on paper and motivates a team that has trouble keeping motivated.

They miss Smith and Keith... plain to see.

McD and Drai are too used to being the best players on the planet. They just shake their head and swear under their breath... because they are frustrated and they know that they make the same lazy mistakes... so speaking out... their leadership... would only be based on their superior skill.

But it doesn't matter, they have to get angry, then they have to back it up with their own play. The guys will follow... they need to lead. They play entirely different in the playoffs and it reflects through the team unfortunately. Where is our Gator? Where is our Fogolin?

North

Jun 25, 2009
So have we all calmed down and got off the ledge of the building? I'm gonna guess all that raging last night was too much drinking. Now let's see if the Oilers do something today. Gonna enjoy my day, despite the few that wanna get their panties in a bunch.

Until the trade deadline is actually over there’s no point in getting worked up.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
It’s funny because there was a time when nurse was a mean sob that played hard and could break up a cycle.

How does that skill just fade away. You’re still young and in your prime? I miss that nurse

That player is still there. Just told he can't get out because we need nurse on the ice.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Until the trade deadline is actually over there’s no point in getting worked up.

Just like all those other deadlines where Holland swooped in at the last minute to make a splash, amirite?

Why you guys still support this dunce is a mystery.

Reactions: McAsuno
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad