Rumor: Rumors and Trade Proposals | Are the playoffs done yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Not a fan of the guy, but I think Cam Ward makes a lot of sense. Should also give us the chance to move one of Nikitin/Purcell.

What would you be thinking?

To CAR: Scrivens and Nikitin

To EDM: Ward
??

That's a lot less the ideal, but it works on the short term. They would still have to bring in Ramo, or someone like that, to share duties.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

??

That's a lot less the ideal, but it works on the short term. They would still have to bring in Ramo, or someone like that, to share duties.

I don't think CAR does that unless we are now giving them a decent pick/prospect. From what I understood from their standpoint they'd move Ward to save money. Scrivens and Nikitin is a wash and makes them worse

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't think CAR does that unless we are now giving them a decent pick/prospect. From what I understood from their standpoint they'd move Ward to save money. Scrivens and Nikitin is a wash and makes them worse

Well they save money a year from now as well, they get out of some term.

I'm not suggesting the Oilers couldn't add slightly, but Carolina does get a back-up as well.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He is, I thought he had another year left.

My mistake. If you could move Nikitin for Ward, that would be good for the Oilers. Though they would still need to replace/upgrade on Scrivens.

I have a feeling we could have Rinne/Quick/Rask and you'd still want scrivens gone:laugh:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I have a feeling we could have Rinne/Quick/Rask and you'd still want scrivens gone:laugh:

Quick, probably, but if the Oilers found a 60 to 65+ start goalie, you can keep Scrivens until he's a UFA, but I don't trust him for more then that.

As a background (and for what it's worth), Scrivens was coached by my dad and played with my brother in PeeWees in SG. I wanted (and still want) nothing more then for Ben to be very successful.

However, he was SO terrible last season, just sincerely bad at his position, that I don't have faith in him improving as an NHL goalie. I'm not saying it's impossible, I just don't care if it happens here. I know the defense was bad, but he was terrible beyond that. If Fasth isn't going to come back (or anyone would even consider him coming back) why should Scrivens, who was basically as bad, be different because he had 1 year on a contract?

Start fresh in net, because that's less of risk then bringing back a guy who as THAT bad hoping he'll "get better" then bring in a guy from outside.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Quick, probably, but if the Oilers found a 60 to 65+ start goalie, you can keep Scrivens until he's a UFA, but I don't trust him for more then that.

As a background (and for what it's worth), Scrivens was coached by my dad and played with my brother in PeeWees in SG. I wanted (and still want) nothing more then for Ben to be very successful.

However, he was SO terrible last season, just sincerely bad at his position, that I don't have faith in him improving as an NHL goalie. I'm not saying it's impossible, I just don't care if it happens here. I know the defense was bad, but he was terrible beyond that. If Fasth isn't going to come back (or anyone would even consider him coming back) why should Scrivens, who was basically as bad, be different because he had 1 year on a contract?

Start fresh in net, because that's less of risk then bringing back a guy who as THAT bad hoping he'll "get better" then bring in a guy from outside.

I think the big thing on Fasth is he's a UFA where as Scrivens you already have locked up and do know that he can play in a limited role. If they were both UFA's I myself wonder of PC would view the two guys.

I do however have the impression Fasth isn't back for other reasons other than his play. I don't know that he got along with his teammates or if they even respect him. He yelled at them far too many times and that in itself could be why he isn't an option.

Be interesting to see how things play out. Like I said yesterday we really don't know who PC trusts at this point other than as you mentioned(i beleive) Mcllelan.

From what I do know Mcllelan saw Scrivens three times last year. A 4 GAA game, a 5 and a 1. The previous year there was two 5 goal games and the famous 59 save performance, as well as a 2 goal game that he faced 40 shots when LA played SJ.

So of all that data is it possible Mcllelan says to hold on to the kid as he has talent at times?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think the big thing on Fasth is he's a UFA where as Scrivens you already have locked up and do know that he can play in a limited role. If they were both UFA's I myself wonder of PC would view the two guys.

I do however have the impression Fasth isn't back for other reasons other than his play. I don't know that he got along with his teammates or if they even respect him. He yelled at them far too many times and that in itself could be why he isn't an option.

Be interesting to see how things play out. Like I said yesterday we really don't know who PC trusts at this point other than as you mentioned(i beleive) Mcllelan.

From what I do know Mcllelan saw Scrivens three times last year. A 4 GAA game, a 5 and a 1. The previous year there was two 5 goal games and the famous 59 save performance, as well as a 2 goal game that he faced 40 shots when LA played SJ.

So of all that data is it possible Mcllelan says to hold on to the kid as he has talent at times?

Who knows, but I'm not comfortable with Scrivens coming back unless a true #1 goaltender is found. And I won't waiver on that. I know all the other stuff with Fasth, but being a good guy doesn't remove that fact he was terrible at the thing he needed to not be terrible at.

Frankly, Scrivens was as bad as Nikitin at his given position last year, the difference one is paid half as much and is wonderful in the community.

Edit: Not that Nikitin is bad in the community, just Ben and Jenny are very active.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
No, people are saying that with Chia we are more likely to move RNH over Drai if Drai keeps improving.

Based on what? Because he traded Party Boy Seguin once upon a time?

Trading RNH just because Draisaitl is big and skilled would be completely foolish.

I do agree that a player of Draisaitl's skillet and size would be valuable to have in the west but RNH is on his way to being one of the better centers in the league and he's by far the Oilers most developed top 9 center. Trading him will create a huge void.

There's no need to trade any of the perceived core players right now. The Oilers aren't competing for a cup next season. Making a shortsighted move could really hurt them long term.

As McLellan said, they need to build a foundation first before they are ready to contend.
This team is still in evaluation mode and as bad as we all want the quick fix and a playoff contender next season, it's just not realistic.

Trade the draft picks and use free agency to get good complimentary players. There's no reason why they shouldn't be able to get 2 top 4 Dmen, a top 9 forward and a good goalie with those resources.
It's not the right time to make the homerun deal.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Based on what? Because he traded Party Boy Seguin once upon a time?

Trading RNH just because Draisaitl is big and skilled would be completely foolish.

I do agree that a player of Draisaitl's skillet and size would be valuable to have in the west but RNH is on his way to being one of the better centers in the league and he's by far the Oilers most developed top 9 center. Trading him will create a huge void.

There's no need to trade any of the perceived core players right now. The Oilers aren't competing for a cup next season. Making a shortsighted move could really hurt them long term.

As McLellan said, they need to build a foundation first before they are ready to contend.
This team is still in evaluation mode and as bad as we all want the quick fix and a playoff contender next season, it's just not realistic.

Trade the draft picks and use free agency to get good complimentary players. There's no reason why they shouldn't be able to get 2 top 4 Dmen, a top 9 forward and a good goalie with those resources.
It's not the right time to make the homerun deal.

Wasn't the Seguin trade something that was more forced by Neely and the veteran Bruins players?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Wasn't the Seguin trade something that was more forced by Neely and the veteran Bruins players?

I guess we'll never know for sure but that seems to be the rumor floating around.

Either way, I don't buy this theory that because Chia traded some skilled guys in the past and had a few heavy players on Boston means that he will do the same with the Oilers.

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB

??

If the Oilers retain the 1.5M on Nikitin's salary that a buyout would cost, I could see that deal working. Saves the Oilers the 1.5M cap hit next year for the buyout, and Carolina doesn't get demonstrably worse, as Khudobin is probably their starter anyway.

Of course, you make sure you have your D sorted first, and make sure you have the cap space for injury call-ups, but other than that, who cares what Ward's salary is in a non-contending year?

Is Ward the answer? Not on his own IMO, but he's a good backup plan if you wanted to go out and get a young backup who might be ready for a starting gig. I like Lack, but Talbot, Jones, and a number of other candidates exist at varying prices. Expensive, but only for a year when the team isn't expecting to need cap space for a rental at the deadline isn't really an issue.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Not getting a starting goalie would be a catastrophe on Chiarelli's part. Not getting at least one top 4 D, would be pretty bad too.

I see it as the other way around. Priority #1 needs to be a top 4D, Priority #2 is a starting goalie and priority #3 is another top 4 D

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
If the Oilers retain the 1.5M on Nikitin's salary that a buyout would cost, I could see that deal working. Saves the Oilers the 1.5M cap hit next year for the buyout, and Carolina doesn't get demonstrably worse, as Khudobin is probably their starter anyway.

Of course, you make sure you have your D sorted first, and make sure you have the cap space for injury call-ups, but other than that, who cares what Ward's salary is in a non-contending year?

Is Ward the answer? Not on his own IMO, but he's a good backup plan if you wanted to go out and get a young backup who might be ready for a starting gig. I like Lack, but Talbot, Jones, and a number of other candidates exist at varying prices. Expensive, but only for a year when the team isn't expecting to need cap space for a rental at the deadline isn't really an issue.
Its the Canes that should be retaining salary. As you stated yourself that Khudobin will be the starter next season so having 6.8 million sitting on his ass isn't conducive for a cash strapped team

McOylerz

Feb 28, 2002
London, Ontario
...the Oilers MUST acquire two defenseman and a starting goaltender this summer. Anything less than that is abject failure on the part of Peter Chiarelli.

honeymoon is over I guess

I guess. That was quick.

I'm pretty sure Chiarelli is more aware of what he needs to do than we are, but I guess it's fun to establish expectations. If he didn't meet all those requirements but they made the playoffs would that still be an "abject failure"? I'd say we take a more patient approach to rating Chia. Let's not run him out of town before his assembled team has played a game.

Oilers Apologist

Jun 28, 2013
Edmonton, AB
What if we just drop Scrivens as a backup entirely, pick up Talbot for Scrivens + Marincin/2nd Rounder, Then sign Niemi and go into the season with a starter in Niemi and a future starter in Talbot, even if they split the games.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
I guess. That was quick.

I'm pretty sure Chiarelli is more aware of what he needs to do than we are, but I guess it's fun to establish expectations. If he didn't meet all those requirements but they made the playoffs would that still be an "abject failure"? I'd say we take a more patient approach to rating Chia. Let's not run him out of town before his assembled team has played a game.

Sure but how does this team make the playoffs without a established #1 goalie and at least one more top 4 D. I think acquiring a #1 goalie and 1 top 4 D, is the least Chiarelli could do.

Oilers Apologist

Jun 28, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Sure but how does this team make the playoffs without a established #1 goalie and at least one more top 4 D. I think acquiring a #1 goalie and 1 top 4 D, is the least Chiarelli could do.

Who said anything about playoffs?? I mean it'd be nice but that's not a reasonable expectation for at least a year.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
I guess. That was quick.

Who said anything about playoffs?? I mean it'd be nice but that's not a reasonable expectation for at least a year.

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
Its the Canes that should be retaining salary. As you stated yourself that Khudobin will be the starter next season so having 6.8 million sitting on his ass isn't conducive for a cash strapped team

True enough, I guess. I think it would hinge on how much the Canes value Nikitin as a warm body on D versus dead cap money. If they need someone to fill a role, paying him 4.5M is obviously better than paying Ward 6.8M. Bbut if it's not filling a need for them, the only incentive they would have would be a net financial gain. As the original proposal stood, it was an even salary transaction. I can't see Carolina giving up an asset for what amounts to a platoon/backup goalie and a salary dump.

If Carolina values Nikitin as a top-6 option, trade Purcell too! Maybe here is where you retain 1.5M (between him and Nikitin). You'd be trading 2 roster players at 7.5M for their 6.8M dead weight/platoon goalie. I feel like Purcell would have some value in the eastern conference. Butter soft or not, he might gel well with one or both of the Staals.

Then, you still have Scrivens, who could be moved with picks to get a second younger platoon option. One of those backups who might be ready to start that have been discussed repeatedly.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Pretty much this. It was my worry after the dust settled.

I don't even know that Mcllelan or PC really have the plan for playoffs either. Really sounds like they just want to get this team stable and building a solid core to go forward with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad