Rumor: Rumors and Trade Proposals | Are the playoffs done yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Niemi probably doesn't need coverage, but it would have to be a short term deal. Maybe something in the same range Jonas Hiller got from Calgary. The only reason he's at all attractive for the Oilers is his UFA status.

Ramo, Neuvirth and Lehner would all need coverage. We would need to move Scrivens along and find a 1A or 1B for them to mesh with. The Oilers should not even discuss Robin Lehner AFAIC, force the discussion back to Anderson or end the phone call.

I am a fan of Corey Crawford. Excellent numbers, both real and adjusted. I think he does well against the pacific division, although not always against the Oilers. His contract is bad, I wouldn't trade anything of value for him. There's a chance at 5 years of starter level goaltending from him, if you tolerate the overpayment. He'd be third or fourth on my list of preferences.

Bernier is clearly the best option. 130+ games at starter level, 26 years old. He's played starter level on good teams and bad teams. He was on the low-end of starters this past year, high-end the year before. This could be the guy now and in the future. The only guy on the market I might say that about.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
ps. I would also take Mike Smith for pretty much nothing, the yotes would be happy to get rid of him and he would be happy to leave. He could add a solid vet presence. Look at his numbers exept for last year, guy can be a stud.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
ps. I would also take Mike Smith for pretty much nothing, the yotes would be happy to get rid of him and he would be happy to leave. He could add a solid vet presence. Look at his numbers exept for last year, guy can be a stud.

Okay, so you have a choice. Two goaltenders you can get for free or close because they make too much money and teams would be fine walking away from that. Goalie 1 is 33 and makes 5.7M for four years, Goalie 2 is 30 and makes 6M for five years. Here are their last three years.

Goalie 1:

Goalie 2:

Why on earth would anyone take Goalie 1?

Last edited:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
As has been discussed to death, the idea that we've had good goaltenders who have been let down by a bad defense doesn't hold up.

For the last two seasons, shots have regularly beaten our goalies that shouldn't have beaten our goalies. I would say the average approaches one a game, and that's awful.

The bad defense only compounds that issue.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Oops! Good point. Thought he was a wee bit younger. I still think they will resign Sekera. Somebody good there is coming out though if the Voynov thing comes out not guilty.

I dunno... LA has their own cap issues (~64.1m now with 17 players signed). And even if Voynov's contract gets voided, Sekera is going to get a lot more than 4.2m. Add in that they need to sign Toffoli, Jones and ensure they have room for Kopitar's new contract (whenever that's signed - will kick in after next season), and I don't think they can really afford to spend big this summer. Unless they can somehow dump Richards, they don't have any big contracts coming off the books.

ivanthebad*

so Teddy Purcell a career -33, Yakupov-35, Ebs-16, RNH-12, Pouliot, a plus player the majority of his career till EDM(only a -1) had nothing to do with that? Goalies fault only? Perhaps some defensive forwards are required, or some sustained pressure forwards would be of value?

Last edited by a moderator:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I say try for Talbot,he has risk but so does every other goalie. The difference is Talbot comes with a good dollar amount this year and high potential.

And is an unrestricted free agent after his current contract expires - which is after next season.

McDeathbyCheerios*

so Teddy Purcell a career -33, Yakupov-35, Ebs-16, RNH-12, Pouliot, a plus player the majority of his career till EDM(only a -1) had nothing to do with that? Goalies fault only?
No one has once said that. Our team was bad defensively but the Goalies were still letting in many shots they should of easily had.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Talbot isn't the answer for next season. I hope they get a veteran starting goalie and a backup with starter potential. If this team can get a goalie that can maintain a .910+ SP then they'd be a .500 or greater team.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
With Niemi, if the Oilers go after him, I'm comfortable with it due to the fact that McLellan knows whether he is worth it or not (and won't cost anything to give up) - if they don't go after him, I think it's pretty telling what McLellan thinks of him.

I don't want Bernier at all. In fact, I don't want anyone from the Maple Leafs organization ever again after Ikinzom.

Lehner's concussion issues worry me, so unless the team acquires another solid starter, he's a no-go.

Crawford's contract goes forever, and I'm not convinced he's a 6 million/year goalie. He's played behind a pretty stacked defence for most of his career and still has some pretty putrid games.

I think Anderson and Andersen have played themselves off the market this spring.

If McLellan wants no part of Niemi, in no particular order, I'd like:
1) Jimmy Howard - his NMC changes into a 10-team NTC this offseason, and his cap hit might be more than Detroit wants to stomach.
2) Cam Ward - ok, he's not been good the past few years, but it would be a one-year experiment with some upside. He also has experience playing behind a crap defence, so his numbers haven't exactly been inflated (outside of Faulk, CAR's defence is almost Edmonton-bad).
3) Michal Neuvirth - he's UFA and won't start because of Halak. Could come at a reasonable price.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
As has been discussed to death, the idea that we've had good goaltenders who have been let down by a bad defense doesn't hold up.

For the last two seasons, shots have regularly beaten our goalies that shouldn't have beaten our goalies. I would say the average approaches one a game, and that's awful.

The bad defense only compounds that issue.

I dunno. If this team played excellent defensively, I think Scrivens could be good enough to have the team challenge for a playoff spot. Don't get me wrong... if there's a decent deal out there that makes sense and doesn't handcuff the team I'd do it... Just like I'd be looking for someone better in FA. But I'd be focusing what trade assets Chia determines are available on a D or two long before I'd use them on someone like Gibson, Talbot, Crawford, or whomever else we've talked about. Fasth and Scrivens didn't suddenly forget how to play goal when they moved here.

Look at someone like Hammond. I think he's an awful goalie who won't finish out that contract in the NHL. But that doesn't change the fact that he got lucky a couple of times in his first few games, and then that team really started to play for him and cover up for his flaws. They kept winning, everyone had a ton of confidence and went on a tear - to the tune of a 20-1-2 record while Hammond posted a .941/1.79 GAA/SV% - which are insane stats. But I wouldn't want to trade anything of value for him either.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Niemi or Ramo.

Let McLellan make the call. If he's got faith in Niemi so be it. 3 year deal is the key. Broissot should be ready to be the back up by the third year of that deal. Competition for the 2018-19 starting job at that point.

AK Dandyman

Sep 12, 2008
Ramo is okay and a UFA which won't cost us an asset.

Anderson might be the best goalie available in a trade.

Kristers Gudlevskis of TB is a goalie I am very interested in bringing in as a backup. Very good upside.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
#teamjimmyhoward
hi-res-178202069-jimmy-howard-poses-after-being-named-a-candidate-for_crop_650.0_cinema_1050.0.jpg

ivanthebad*

No one has once said that. Our team was bad defensively but the Goalies were still letting in many shots they should of easily had.

watching numerous Oiler games, I don't blame the GOOD goalies coming here and falling off the map trying to anticipate the QUALITY of shots they are seeing. In 1 game the Oilers let up 50+ shots and 90 attempts...and we won!! Oh my

The top 6 need to start contributing defensively or this team doesn't change. Does our 4th coach miracously change that? We'll see. Should we put in a couple that do..perhaps

Talbot isn't the answer for next season. I hope they get a veteran starting goalie and a backup with starter potential. If this team can get a goalie that can maintain a .910+ SP then they'd be a .500 or greater team.

Brother, Carey Price or Pekke Rinne do not do that without a team rallying around them. Funny how all good goalies come from teams w/ good d and 2way forwards

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Of those names,

Bernier
Neuvirth
Ramo

But I am still hoping for Lehtonen. Or Gibson, in a perfect world.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Of those names,

Bernier
Neuvirth
Ramo

But I am still hoping for Lehtonen. Or Gibson, in a perfect world.

I've heard some pundits suggest Gibson but I just cannot fathom how he would be for sale. He's not a spare part at all for the Ducks, especially while there is some uncertainty around Andersen. It's just too smart to keep both. Same for Vasilevsky in Tampa. For both these guys, if they become available it won't be for a few more years.

Lehtonen could be available though. He slumped pretty badly for Dallas this season. Goalies sometimes go through rough patches though, and Dallas probably knows this. They were exploring other options mid-season, like Enroth, so it's definitely worth it to contact them about Lehtonen. However, I don't see a strong reason for them to trade him. At least with Crawford, Chicago has that cap looming over them so we know for sure that he's available. The Leafs are rebuilding so there's a good chance Bernier is for sale for futures.

McDeathbyCheerios*

watching numerous Oiler games, I don't blame the GOOD goalies coming here and falling off the map trying to anticipate the QUALITY of shots they are seeing. In 1 game the Oilers let up 50+ shots and 90 attempts...and we won!! Oh my

The top 6 need to start contributing defensively or this team doesn't change. Does our 4th coach miracously change that? We'll see. Should we put in a couple that do..perhaps

Brother, Carey Price or Pekke Rinne do not do that without a team rallying around them. Funny how all good goalies come from teams w/ good d and 2way forwards
You are so out of touch with reality that its ridiculous. The only goalie that we have had recently that looked good elsewhere before was Scrivens, in a very limited showing. Dubnyk while here was pretty bad, you could tell that cause as soon as he left, he was still god awful, took him a year to figure it out again.

But for your sake lets just trade everyone cause everyone sucks.

For once we have a real nhl coach.

Our problem is not that our forwards suck at d, its that our d suck at d so our forwards have to try even harder to be defensemen that don't work.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Of the list of names provided by the OP

I'd go Bernier first, Niemi 2nd.

Bernier I'd go so far as offer the #16 for. Bernier is a good goalie and he's young. He'd solve the issue at the position for a number of years.

If you can't get him, sign Niemi. He's an astonishingly consistent goalie. A sure bet to get 60+ games and likely will put up around a .910-.915 sv%. He's no superstar, but he'd bring some stability to the position.

Anderson would be at the top of my list. I'd also be pretty intrigued by Talbot. I wasn't prior to reading all the things about how good his numbers truly are. But now... definitely I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad