Rumor: Rumors and Trade Proposals | Are the playoffs done yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Last few posts

One of Burmistrov's problems in Winnipeg was that he did not see himself as a #3C long term. The Oilers will have McDavid, RNH, Draisaitl, Lander, Gordon and Yakimov as their center depth. Why would it make sense to trade any assets for Burmistrov?

I was so excited for the Bonsignore pick back when it was made. The Hockey News were comparing him to a Mario Lemiuex lite in their pre draft issue.

People are forgetting about Z.Michalek as a UFA. Not sure on his injury history but he's a decent #2 or #3. We aren't getting a legit #1 unless we give up important assets or Nurse/Klefbom develop into one.

Count me in for Burns. He would be a great fit here.

That sounds like a perfect scenario, to me - sounds like the makings of a team of comrades.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Ugggg....I hate all the "Oilers soiled the bed on the bonsignore pick" garbage.

There was very little else to choose from.
The best player ranked anywhere near him was Ryan Smyth....who we also picked. It was a bad draft pool.
My oh my, I can't believe we took bonsignore over Jeff Oniel or Jason Wiemer. That set the franchise back a decade!

If you want to gripe, talk about Steve Kelly over Shane Doan.

Grrrr I hate when people respond to past situations in hindsight.

Nowhere did I state that it set the organization back.. it was lacking anyway back then. He definitely wasn't hyped and was off the radar. Heck even Jeff Friesen was more hyped over Bonsignore. Reason I didn't gripe over Kelly is because Kelly isn't a centerman and wouldn't fit my argument as well. Yes, Steve Kelly was a pathetic pick as well.

The Oilers did pick off the radar with Bons.

Friesen
O'Neill
Öhlund

Were all on the radar at the time over Bons. Bons was knows to be lazy and mouthy as well as out of shape prior to the draft. His OHL numbers were not even within calibre of a 4th overall pick. Oilers went for his size and hoped he would become a power forward rather than scouting properly... which has been a reoccurring theme with this organization outside a couple from the early 80's.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
@shogun99

I like Michalek too but i would also suggest that he is starting the downside of his career, is similar to Fayne, and is best off on the 2nd pairing. I'd sign him but he might not be my first choice. Sekera is the gold standard IMO, i'd give him 5 million. The 44 point season is most likely an outlier but 20-30 points is reasonable. Sekera-Michalek might make a nice top pair come to think of it.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Our favorite insider Eklund has Mike Green to Edmonton as an E4

Mike Green is a quality player and would help us a lot, however he's not ideal as top competition isn't his strong suit. With Fayne in the mix as a shutdown guy i could see him looking good next to Klefbom. It also probably means that Schultz is ill suited to the 3rd pairing. Green although not a defensive stalwart doesn't require the sheltering that Schultz does.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I guy I keep coming back to who will be a UFA is Belesky. He could be a guy you get for not too much or too long, and, despite what happened this year in Anaheim, could be on the upswing into his prime.

The right guy to be depth at the right time, coming from a good organization.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
i know for a fact that mike green would play in edmonton, its not unrealistic for him to sign here at all.

Definitely not unrealistic for him to sign, however Eklund isn't exactly a trusted source...
I guess we will see come free agency

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Michalek is definitely on the downswing, but still useful for sure. He would occupy the role that we currently have Fayne in (RD on the primary shut-down pair), so I wouldn't call him a major need, but we're far from being in a position to turn a player like him away, especially when he would only cost money. We also only have 2 RDs on the roster, but I would prefer someone who can contribute offensively in addition to being good defensively. That's what makes the Seabrooks and Burnses so attractive (aside from being a higher calibre of player overall, of course). It's also why I would be in favour of bringing Petry back, and an lukewarm about Green. We have the far ends of the spectrum covered already, we need someone who can do it all at a high level.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Interesting considering that Chiarelli was apparently interested in bringing him over to the Bruins.

probably knew he was getting fired and tried to give them one last eff-you before he went

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Just said on Oilers Now, "Odds of Phaneuf trade to Oilers is 0%"

I don't put much stock into that, it was just Reid Wilkins (The Oilers Now substitute teacher) predicting that based on Phaneuf's own comments that he is committed to Toronto.

To contrast, Friedman on Oilers Now says that he believes that Phaneuf will be traded for sure to someone, if not this summer then very likely early next year.

Personally I think the Oilers are going to make a play for Mike Green.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
I don't put much stock into that, it was just Reid Wilkins (The Oilers Now substitute teacher) predicting that based on Phaneuf's own comments that he is committed to Toronto.

To contrast, Friedman on Oilers Now says that he believes that Phaneuf will be traded for sure to someone, if not this summer then very likely early next year.

Personally I think the Oilers are going to make a play for Mike Green.

What?

Friedman is on right now (on Oilers Now) and said Phaneuf stays (won't be traded). Says Kessel will be moved. He's unsure of some of the other players like Bozak but is going to spend the next few weeks figuring that out.

The segment was on after 12:30 (12:40ish) if anybody wants to hear it on the podcast

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Moving Schultz before McLellan and his coaching staff have had a chance to work with him would be a mistake on multiple levels.

I disagree. If you think by "moving him" I mean dumping him, then yes I would agree. However I see "moving him" as a chance to add value to a deal for an upgrade or move him for a player of similar value who is in a different position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad