Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Vol. 6 "Posters who should be GM"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I don't really like the idea of adding depth forwards via trade and free agency anymore to be honest. There aren't many cheap, quality players around. I used to be an advocate of signing Clowe, Horton ect, but now I'm not. I'd rather take advantage of cheaper players like Paajarvi and Hartikanen in those roles rather than adding players that muck up our cap situation. I think we need to open up cap space to spend on D.

Realistically, when it's all said and done here's what our situation should look like going into next season for forwards:

Paajarvi 1.5 - Gagner 4.5 - Yakupov ELC

Hartikanen 1.5 - RNH ELC - Eberle 6

Hall 6 - Horcoff 5 - Hemsky 5

Eager 1.5 - Lander 1 - Brown 1

RNH probably won't be extended yet because he's having a bad year, so his agent won't go for it. Knowing the organization, Hemsky sticks around until his contract is done. Gagner will probably earn 4.5 over 4 years.

Now here's my ideal situation by 2014.

Hemsky is traded for a forward prospect and a pick at the deadline. No hard feelings. He's the odd man out. We draft Barkov and give him one year in Europe, strategically to develop and start his ELC later. Whitney obviously isn't resigned, Smyth retires or is bought out, Jones is resigned at 2 mil, Belanger is traded. Horcoff now is not good enough for a top 9 role. His last year is bought out. Barkov is now ready an is given the Couturier treatment.

2014-2015

Paajarvi 2.5 -Gagner 4.5-Yakupov ELC
Hartikanen 1.5 -RNH 5 -Eberle 6
Hall 6 -Barkov ELC -Reider ELC
Brown 1 - Lander 1.5 -Jones 2

Schultz 5 - Top pairing guy 5
Klefbom ELC - Petry 3
Smid 4 - Marincin ELC
Fistric 1.5

The key is to take advantage of players on their ELC so we can afford to maintain the core. Harti, Paajarvi and Reider may not be the best options, but at a small price they're better than over spending on the open market. This way there's enough cap room to retain te core, and to find a top pairing D man somewhere.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
he's got 21 pts in 25 games..which would tie him for 2nd on the Oilers

his 9 goals would tie him with Gagner for the Oiler lead

he a big physical body that the Oilers are sorely lacking since Penner left

Hemsky+ a defenseman not named Justin Schultz should be up for grabs

What I was meaning he is more like Penner now.

He isn't the physical powerforward he was in Colorado anymore. He's more of an inconsistent scorer with size now.

I wouldn't trade Hemsky for him.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I've been thinking over our cap situation also. I don't think it would be smart to go after the top tough guys like Horton, Clowe or Clarkson. We need to start spending smart on everything outside of our core. If we get a high pick again this year (likely) especially. If Bryan Bickell makes it to Free Agency he's a guy we could probably get for ~ 2M per year compared to Clowe who will get 5M or more.

Mr Forever

Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I've been thinking over our cap situation also. I don't think it would be smart to go after the top tough guys like Horton, Clowe or Clarkson. We need to start spending smart on everything outside of our core. If we get a high pick again this year (likely) especially. If Bryan Bickell makes it to Free Agency he's a guy we could probably get for ~ 2M per year compared to Clowe who will get 5M or more.
I worry that if we were to sign Horton or Clowe, we wouldn't be able to resign Yakupov, or Add a quality D man.

It's not worth it.

Say what you want about TambLowe, but were in a really nice cap situation right now.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I worry that if we were to sign Horton or Clowe, we wouldn't be able to resign Yakupov, or Add a quality D man.

It's not worth it.

Say what you want about TambLowe, but were in a really nice cap situation right now.

The reason we are in a good cap situation is because we don't have many good players to spend money on.

We definitely need to spend a little money and acquire some more talent if we want to compete.

It's too early to worry about signing Yakupov.

Mr Forever

Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
The reason we are in a good cap situation is because we don't have many good players to spend money on.

We definitely need to spend a little money and acquire some more talent if we want to compete.

It's too early to worry about signing Yakupov.

I don't see how it's too early? Considering Hall and Eberle were extended at the end of their second years.

Unless we sign players off the market for one or two year deals, or front loaded deals, we have to be careful for the future. We have Schultz, Yakupov and RNH extensions coming up quickly.

Mr Forever

Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
If we want to retain all of Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yak and Schultz, we are probably looking at 27 mil minimum. That's not including resigning Gagner and Smid, two other borderline core players. Now you're probably up to 35 mil for 7 players.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The cap will probably rise a bit each year. I don't feel that we need to worry about anything until 2016 or 2017 when our draft pick this year will be off their ELC. All I care about is our core right now and so should our GM so..

Hall (6) - Nugent-Hopkins (6) - Eberle (6)
_______ - ________ - Yakupov (6)
_______ - ________ - ________
_______ - ________ - ________

_______ - J. Schultz (6)
_______ - ________
_______ - ________

_______
_______

It will probably come around 35M with our 2013 pick just for our core. Chicago's team right now has 35M just on their core of 6 players, like us. If they can fit it under the cap right now and ice an elite team, I think we can. Chicago's bottom 6 is basically filled with guys making under 1M but their D is all making over 2M other than Leddy who is on ELC. I don't think we'll be able to match Chicago's payroll to the bottom 6 but we can definitely keep it cheaper on the D. If some guys take a few paycuts it will certainly help though. I can see Smid and Gagner both signing for cheaper than expected.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
If RNH's horrible offensive pace continues this year, what happens? Do him and his agent wait for after next year to re up? Do they sign a long term contract this summer? Does he sign a bridge contract of two or three years, similar to Duchene, Subban, etc?

I want him to sign a long term contract this summer. We can probably get him much cheaper than we would in a year's time. If RNH doesn't become a first line centre anyways, our rebuild is pretty much ruined.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
We can't afford to have players making 5 mill on the third line. I think Hemsky is gone for sure while Gagner might be moved at the draft or once Barkov/Monahan develops. Horcoff can stay on until we can resign him for cheap.

1. Sign Barkov
2. Trade Hemsky+ for Malone
3. Trade Whitney+ for Talbot

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Malone-Gagner-Yakupov
Paajarvi-Barkov-Talbot
Brown-Horcoff-Jones
Harti

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
We can't afford to have players making 5 mill on the third line. I think Hemsky is gone for sure while Gagner might be moved at the draft or once Barkov/Monahan develops. Horcoff can stay on until we can resign him for cheap.

1. Sign Barkov
2. Trade Hemsky+ for Malone
3. Trade Whitney+ for Talbot

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Malone-Gagner-Yakupov
Paajarvi-Barkov-Talbot
Brown-Horcoff-Jones
Harti

I know where you are coming from here but I still laughed.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
I would be weary of putting a rookie center man on our third line. Our third line should be gritty and defensive minded and hard hitting.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The talk about about Florida being sellers got me thinking.

I wonder if Filip Kuba would be worth going after.

-Yeah, he's overpaid at $4M, but it's only for one more year.
-He looked good beside Karlsson last year. Might look good beside Schultz too.
-Playing 21 minutes a night in FLA
-Would essentially be a bigger and more reliable Nick Schultz
-Probably wouldn't cost a lot to acquire

Smid-Petry
Kuba-Schultz
Whitney(until he's traded)-Schultz
Fistric/Potter

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Kuba's interesting, but if he's in play I see him being of more value to a playoff-bound team (thus driving his value up).

If Whitney is traded for more than a bag of pucks, I'll be happy.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
But don't forget the rookie part. The last thing we need is rookie mistakes on our shutdown line.

He's good enough defensively. Don't worry about that part of his game. Even as a rookie he would be our best shutdown center (outsize of Belanger who just doesnt produce at all).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't see where this is coming from - he was our best defenseman in the last half of that season. Somehow that wasn't enough for a team that was expecting Pronger.

That same game is what made him the backbone on the blue line of a couple deep Hurricanes playoff runs as well. Fans ran this guy out of town, he should have been given more time.
It's been talked about quite a bit in the past, Pitkanen wasn't a team player.
Mackenzie said MacArthur might be available. He would be great pickup for rnh and Ebs.

Lw with size, plays gritty game, has good shot and good offensive instinct.
Something tells me it's a trade that we couldn't make.
Jim Matheson threw out the idea of Hemsky for Stafford via Twitter. Thoughts?
I'd think about it. We lack two-way players in our top 6, Stafford would help with that.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The talk about about Florida being sellers got me thinking.

I wonder if Filip Kuba would be worth going after.

-Yeah, he's overpaid at $4M, but it's only for one more year.
-He looked good beside Karlsson last year. Might look good beside Schultz too.
-Playing 21 minutes a night in FLA
-Would essentially be a bigger and more reliable Nick Schultz
-Probably wouldn't cost a lot to acquire

Smid-Petry
Kuba-Schultz
Whitney(until he's traded)-Schultz
Fistric/Potter
Did you do what I did and spend 15 minutes wondering who we could pickup from Florida only to end up with Kuba?

Another guy from there that I'd try is Smithson. He is a UFA after this year and listed as a winger, but he's playing center at 54% faceoff rate and close to 60 hits already. Could be your physical stop gap 4th line center for this year and next.

Not Robin Brownlee

The docile tones!
Nov 17, 2008
why does Paajarvi keep getting traded.... this kid, imo is gonna be a 'player', a solid 2 way guy.. not a 100pt guy, but hopefully molds into a lesser kesler, backes type.

jsho

Feb 3, 2007
Oil Country
why does Paajarvi keep getting traded.... this kid, imo is gonna be a 'player', a solid 2 way guy.. not a 100pt guy, but hopefully molds into a lesser kesler, backes type.

Why? Sell high.....he is playing his best hockey of his career at the NHL level right now.

I hope we keep him and I think hes turned the corner and has his confidence back. But we've seen how poor he played last year so why wouldn't people put him in proposals. We cant just keep hoping to trade players when they are playing bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad