Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Yamamoto, Will He Stay or Will He Go Now?

Will Yamamoto Stay or Go?

• Stays and signs before arbitration

Votes: 78 82.1%
  • Stays but goes to arbitration

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Goes before arbitration

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Goes after arbitration

Votes: 8 8.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
Are we just pretending taking hits is a good thing now? Devon Toews and Aaron Ekblad made that list and both are 2 of the best defensemen in the NHL. Nurse also throws plenty of hits himself so it's not as if the dude is afraid of physical play.
Not saying avoiding hits is a bad thing. If you can make the smart outlet pass and avoid taking the hits your a dawn good defenceman and deserve to get paid. If you avoid hits and rush the puck for icing constantly…not so much.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
No but it’s a bad thing if he’s dumping the puck early and forcing an icing so he can peel off and not get hit.

If you can’t see that connection I won’t hold it against you. That’s why I don’t take offence to the sarcastic responses.
Lol sure that’s what it is. Hard not to be sarcastic with posts like that.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
No it’s hard not to be sarcastic when someone calls out your favourite players is my guess. Rose coloured glasses must be the new vogue around here reguarding Nurse.
You are just making things up / twisting things though.

Nurse doesn’t get hit much some how equals him icing the puck to avoid hits and not being worth his contract.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yep 100%. Holland bungled the Nurse situation at every single step.

In hindsight we should have traded a pick to move Russell and used that money to sign Nurse to a 8 year x 7.25 mill contract extension but holy crap did Chiarelli ever leave us with a pile of dog shit for forward run support

McDavid, Drai, RNH

Then

Lucic/Neal, Kassian, Gagner, Chiasson

*barfs*

Completely gutted our forward depth.

Last edited:

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
You are just making things up / twisting things though.

Nurse doesn’t get hit much some how equals him icing the puck to avoid hits and not being worth his contract.
I have no desire to go into a full fledge debate with anyone, about anyone right now. However with regards to weather Nurse being worth his contract we will all soon see. If he plays like he did in the bubble against the same handful of teams for that one shortened season, then yeah he’ll be worth his contract. If he plays the next 8 years like he did last season then he will be the boat anchor I suspect he is.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I have no desire to go into a full fledge debate with anyone, about anyone right now. However with regards to weather Nurse being worth his contract we will all soon see. If he plays like he did in the bubble against the same handful of teams for that one shortened season, then yeah he’ll be worth his contract. If he plays the next 8 years like he did last season then he will be the boat anchor I suspect he is.

Even if he plays like he did last year, he'd be worth 7+ million already if not very shortly after the cap begins to rise by significant amounts.

Gudbranson, a guy who was a bottom pairing D is getting 4 million on the open market.

The premium paid to keep McDavid and Draisaitl happy also has to factor in, if it makes it much likely for the two of them to sign, then it's probably money well spent in the end.

Three of them are basically like family at this point (McDavid and Draisaitl being groomsmen at Nurse's wedding this past week).

Also as an aside it looks like Taylor Hall got married last week too in Ontario. None of the Oilers attended, so I guess those friendships fizzled out.

Last edited:

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Even if he plays like he did last year, he'd be worth 7+ million already if not very shortly after the cap begins to rise by significant amounts.

Gudbranson, a guy who was a bottom pairing D is getting 4 million on the open market

The premium paid to keep McDavid and Draisaitl happy also has to factor in, if it makes it much likely for the two of them to sign, then it's probably money well spent in the end.

Three of them are basically like family at this point (McDavid and Draisaitl being groomsmen at Nurse's wedding this past week).

Also as an aside it looks like Taylor Hall got married last week too in Ontario. None of the Oilers attended, so I guess those friendships fizzled out.

Hall and Nurse I believe had their weddings on the same weekend - so that'd be an issue for the current Oilers to attend.

Reactions: oilers'72

replacement

Oct 20, 2018

His win share was exactly the same both seasons...

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
giphy.gif

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019

Gudbranson, a guy who was a bottom pairing D is getting 4 million on the open market.

I’ve been waiting for someone to say the whole Nurse wedding besties thing since that twitter post. You followed that up nicely with the Taylor Hall comment though which just goes to show you that the whole besties argument holds little weight. You said no Oilers were there? How exactly do you know this??? Also was Eberle there because from what I understood they were ride or die. If he wasn’t then that says a lot about the whole besties argument imo.

His win share was exactly the same both seasons...
Sorry, win share?

I have no idea what that means but I do know that Nurse sucked last year compared to the previous year. No fancy stats just the old fashion eyeball test.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Parking today outside of Rogers for WJC on a surface lot $42. Another reason Nicholson should be fired. Greedy pricks.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Thanks to Holland for re-signing Kassian like a week and a half before Nurse's bridge.
Holland was playing chess instead of checkers. By making sure Kassian stayed on the team he was able to weaken his provincial rivals by making one of their star players run to Florida with his tail between his legs.

Reactions: oilers'72

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
In hindsight we should have traded a pick to move Russell and used that money to sign Nurse to a 8 year x 7.25 mill contract extension but holy crap did Chiarelli ever leave us with a pile of dog shit for forward run support

McDavid, Drai, RNH

Then

Lucic/Neal, Kassian, Gagner, Chiasson

*barfs*

Completely gutted our forward depth.
Sigh. I don't know why I'm even bothering. It's summer, I guess.

What forward depth? If you're suggesting Hall and Eberle, how do assume we would've had the cap space to give Nurse a sizeable extension? They were $6m support players that were depreciating assets.

The problem was that Edmonton never took a year or two to sit back and effectively retool after the McDavid draft. They never sold off expensive pieces for futures. They sold off their premium assets for NHL players making fairly significant salaries themselves because the priority of the team was to be immediately competitive.

If you want to blame the GMs for how the Oilers built their team from day one, have at it. But I don't think Peter Chiarelli ever gets that job if he goes into that meeting suggesting that they need a two or three year retool suggesting that they build through the draft.

Had Edmonton done that from day one, Hall and Eberle would've been auctioned off in a similar manner Matt Duchene was. It would've netted them a significantly larger group of prospects to move forward with. It also would have given them the flexibility to lock up these key players earlier.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Thanks to Holland for re-signing Kassian like a week and a half before Nurse's bridge.
The cap was going up by 5-10 million at the time of the signing or is that fact lost on people? Had this actually occurred we could have qualified AA and signed nurse long term even after Kassian was signed. The world stopped and the cap stayed flat so here we are.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sigh. I don't know why I'm even bothering. It's summer, I guess.

What forward depth? If you're suggesting Hall and Eberle, how do assume we would've had the cap space to give Nurse a sizeable extension? They were $6m support players that were depreciating assets.

The problem was that Edmonton never took a year or two to sit back and effectively retool after the McDavid draft. They never sold off expensive pieces for futures. They sold off their premium assets for NHL players making fairly significant salaries themselves because the priority of the team was to be immediately competitive.

If you want to blame the GMs for how the Oilers built their team from day one, have at it. But I don't think Peter Chiarelli ever gets that job if he goes into that meeting suggesting that they need a two or three year retool suggesting that they build through the draft.

Had Edmonton done that from day one, Hall and Eberle would've been auctioned off in a similar manner Matt Duchene was. It would've netted them a significantly larger group of prospects to move forward with. It also would have given them the flexibility to lock up these key players earlier.

I mean this is the 18-19 Oilers that Chiarelli left us with

McDavid/Drai/RNH

Support forwards: Lucic, Kassian, Spooner/Gagner, Khaira, Chiasson, Reider (lol), Ty Rattie, Kyle Brodziak

Alex Chiasson at 38 points was the Oilers 4th leading forward in scoring (after the "big 3").

Was there any core in the NHL worse than this that wasn't intentionally tanking?

The sad thing is Chiasson wasn't really even Chiarelli's idea, Gulutzan pushed the Oilers to give him a PTO because he knew him from his time as coach in Calgary, lol.

The idea of icing this forward corps

Drai McDavid Rattie
Reider RNH Chiasson
Lucic Brodziak Spooner
Gambardella Khaira Currie

This literally makes my stomach turn, I will leave Colby Cave off out of respect (RIP) but still. Remove RNH from the bottom 9 forwards and you literally have an AHL team.

Thank god the Leafs could not afford to keep Hyman and Kane's wife is crazy.

Last edited:

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Makes sense on the Nurse front, he ices the puck constantly so he can peel off and not take a hit.

9.25 X forever folks.

McD and Drai re-signing for 8 years each in 2025 and 2026 folks.

They had to sign Nurse to keep the band of brothers together down the road. Losing him was not an option if you want to keep at least one of the 2 superstars. Yeah it’s a big overpay but it’ll end up being worth it when the best player in the world doesn’t leave as a UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad