Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Yamamoto, Will He Stay or Will He Go Now?

Will Yamamoto Stay or Go?

• Stays and signs before arbitration

Votes: 78 82.1%
  • Stays but goes to arbitration

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Goes before arbitration

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Goes after arbitration

Votes: 8 8.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
McLeod has to get extraordinarily better at the position to be considered a quality third-line center on any team. Hopefully the Oilers are a contending team so they'll need a contending team type of third-line center to go 4 playoff rounds in the most physically demanding tournament in the world of sports.

Many people really like McLeod as a player but we're going nowhere with him as third-line center. Maybe when he's 27 he will be a completely finished product but he's probably the worst positional player on the Edmonton Oilers roster as of today. It's such a important position and we'll burn away another year if the corrections to the line-up aren't made.

Maybe this "center" we need comes at the trade deadline but if we are serious about winning a championship we'll need a Ryan kesler or Michael Peca grizzled veteran who has seen it all before... I know, what about that Adam Lowry?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
McLeod has to get extraordinarily better at the position to be considered a quality third-line center on any team. Hopefully the Oilers are a contending team so they'll need a contending team type of third-line center to go 4 playoff rounds in the most physically demanding tournament in the world of sports.

Many people really like McLeod as a player but we're going nowhere with him as third-line center. Maybe when he's 27 he will be a completely finished product but he's probably the worst positional player on the Edmonton Oilers roster as of today. It's such a important position and we'll burn away another year if the corrections to the line-up aren't made.

Maybe this "center" we need comes at the trade deadline but if we are serious about winning a championship we'll need a Ryan kesler or Michael Peca grizzled veteran who has seen it all before... I know, what about that Adam Lowry?

As of today, Mcleod is a 4th line center. He's never really produced any offence in any level he's played. To be our 3rd line center he needs to be good defensively and chip in around 15 even strength goals and 30 even strength points. I think he'll get there but there's no reason to rush him when we got McDrai and RNH at center.

Reactions: Faelko

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So we think McLeod is bad now? He seems like he developing very well as bottom-6 NHL center. I suspect he'll likely only get one or two years in an extension to keep his cost down.

Also, thinking about the Flames and the number of defensemen they have, I would stay on Treliving about getting one of those guys, Weegar would be my focus.

Reactions: Seachd

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
So we think McLeod is bad now? He seems like he developing very well as bottom-6 NHL center. I suspect he'll likely only get one or two years in an extension to keep his cost down.

Also, thinking about the Flames and the number of defensemen they have, I would stay on Treliving about getting one of those guys, Weegar would be my focus.
No, why would you say that? I like the player, I hate the idea of him as our third-line center. McLeod could be a third-line winger. How about 4th-line center for a few year then we can re-examine the matter.

From Calgary, his salary is a little high and they'll never trade him because of their lack of center depth... but give me that Mikael Backlund as a third line center. Would he ever look great on our third line.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
As of today, Mcleod is a 4th line center. He's never really produced any offence in any level he's played. To be our 3rd line center he needs to be good defensively and chip in around 15 even strength goals and 30 even strength points. I think he'll get there but there's no reason to rush him when we got McDrai and RNH at center.
Easier said than done, especially in the 4th line. Nuge has scored 7 ES goals this and last season and he even got to spend some time higher up.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You do realize that's like top 6 production in today's NHL.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Well, this just isn't true at all. He made an enormous leap in his 2nd pro season in Bakersfield and was actually one of the more dangerous Oiler forwards not named McDavid or Draisaitl late in the season and in the playoffs, was unlucky not to score more tbh. The bigger issues with him is handling tougher defensive assignments and faceoffs but he has absolutely flashed a relatively high level of offense, relative in a 3rd line sense.
To me, he looked like a player ready to break out offensively.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
Well, this just isn't true at all. He made an enormous leap in his 2nd pro season in Bakersfield and was actually one of the more dangerous Oiler forwards not named McDavid or Draisaitl late in the season and in the playoffs, was unlucky not to score more tbh. The bigger issues with him is handling tougher defensive assignments and faceoffs but he has absolutely flashed a relatively high level of offense, relative in a 3rd line sense.
To me, he looked like a player ready to break out offensively.
I'm hoping we can go into the season with a RNH McLeod JP third line. I think that would cause teams serious matchup issues.

Kane McDavid x
Hyman Draisaitl Yamamoto as the top two.

Requires a Barrie into Hakanpaa type trade.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The problem the oilers have is they really like yamamoto (much less so for me). They would like to move other players but other players have awful value. A guy like foegle you will have to kassian him and give away more picks.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don’t see how you can go to Yamo and offer more term than Jesse and expect him to take less cap.

1 Yr x 3M

Reassess both players after another year giving it a shot

The problem the oilers have is they really like yamamoto (much less so for me). They would like to move other players but other players have awful value. A guy like foegle you will have to kassian him and give away more picks.

Foegele for Stanley straight up

Reactions: Darkwinter

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Lot's of ppl really undervaluing Janmark right now with all this needing another 3rd line player. Vegas fans were sad to lose him but understood why. He PK's and is good defensively

Our 3rd line is better, make no mistake. Between him and McLeod taking another step, and maybe even Bourgalt or Holloway, we have lot's of bodies to fulfill that line

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He’s been lying about an imminent Yamo trade for weeks cause he’s a Jesse super fan

Lot's of ppl really undervaluing Janmark right now with all this needing another 3rd line player. Vegas fans were sad to lose him but understood why. He PK's and is good defensively

Our 3rd line is better, make no mistake. Between him and McLeod taking another step, and maybe even Bourgalt or Holloway, we have lot's of bodies to fulfill that line
All the more reason why Foegele is the obvious odd man out

Reactions: McTonyBrar

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Not on a contending team. The better 3 C's in the league put up those types of numbers. If we want to win a Cup we're going to need our 3C to be near elite.
Play Nuge at 3C solved. Don’t see how you slot him as a LW anymore anyways with Hyman and Kane signed long term. Also with Woody calling McD-Drai-Nuge as the “spine of the team”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad