Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Yamamoto, Will He Stay or Will He Go Now?

Will Yamamoto Stay or Go?

• Stays and signs before arbitration

Votes: 78 82.1%
  • Stays but goes to arbitration

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Goes before arbitration

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Goes after arbitration

Votes: 8 8.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
Woulda coulda shoulda. We also could have waited until this off season and watched him walk away in free agency.
So let me get this straight. McDrai we’re going to be pissed if we didn’t resign Nurse because their all besties, but Nurse was going to walk if we didn’t pay him a over valued contract leaving his besties behind….you guys know the whole besties argument has to be mutual right.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
Remember that Nurse has not played a single second of his new contact. Maybe keep the complaints until the season has at least started. Who knows, maybe D is putting extra pressure on himself to be better this season. It’s a big contract but let’s see if he can live up to it first, maybe!?

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
McD and Drai re-signing for 8 years each in 2025 and 2026 folks.

They had to sign Nurse to keep the band of brothers together down the road. Losing him was not an option if you want to keep at least one of the 2 superstars. Yeah it’s a big overpay but it’ll end up being worth it when the best player in the world doesn’t leave as a UFA.
Lol. Then they should just sign now, you know, as a sign of good faith and all to their bestie Nurse. Like a wedding gift of sorts…..hahahaha!

yeah, yeah I know they can’t sign now…before I get all the sarcastic hate mail.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
So let me get this straight. McDrai we’re going to be pissed if we didn’t resign Nurse because their all besties, but Nurse was going to walk if we didn’t pay him a over valued contract leaving his besties behind….you guys know the whole besties argument has to be mutual right.
What the hell are you talking about? I never said anything about besties.

Reactions: oilers'72

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lol. Then they should just sign now, you know, as a sign of good faith and all to their bestie Nurse. Like a wedding gift of sorts…..hahahaha!

yeah, yeah I know they can’t sign now…before I get all the sarcastic hate mail.

It's actually pretty well staggered in that respect, when Draisaitl is up for extension, McDavid and Nurse are still here, don't think he's going to want to leave.

When McDavid is up, both Draisaitl and Nurse are locked in long term.

Not bad.

Sure I wish his contract was 7.5 million instead of 9.25, but we are just going to have to deal with having about 1.75 million of excess fat on our cap. At least Kane, Hyman, RNH are more or less paid fairly and Ceci and Kulak probably underpaid a bit. Barrie contract is reasonable but probably not here for much longer.

Foegele and Nurse are the two guys on the roster overpaid, Puljujarvi and Yamamoto maybe overpaid a tad but there isn't much term there so their contracts come up quick.

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
You are correct, you didn’t so I should have been clear on that. That was for the whole besties camp but I tied in with your response nicely.
Okay.

To be clear I do think Nurse is overpaid and think we walked him right into a huge pay day. However I don’t think he’s thaaaat overpaid and I would rather lock him up then watch him walk away in free agency like Gaudreau.

If that happened our cup window is pretty much screwed. Yes I think he’s that important to our success.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
It's actually pretty well staggered in that respect, when Draisaitl is up for extension, McDavid and Nurse are still here, don't think he's going to want to leave.

Not bad.

Sure I wish his contract was 7.5 million instead of 9.25, but we are just going to have to deal with having about 1.75 million of excess fat on our cap. At least Kane, Hyman, RNH are more or less paid fairly and Ceci and Kulak probably underpaid a bit. Barrie contract is reasonable.

Foegele and Nurse are the two guys on the roster overpaid, Puljujarvi and Yamamoto maybe overpaid a tad but there isn't much term there so their contracts come up quick.
Well that’s quite the assumption and I hope your right. However, taking a look down south should remind everyone that players individual interest don’t always align with what’s best for the team they play on or the friends they have on that team.

As far as Nurse goes, I think that what gets under my skin the most is people being content with what he’s going to be making for the level of play he brought this last year. He needs to play better than he did or it’s a horrible contract, it’s as simple as that. If he can play even somewhere in between his last two seasons and the fact that the cap is most definitely going to go up over the years then I have no problem with it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well that’s quite the assumption and I hope your right. However, taking a look down south should remind everyone that players individual interest don’t always align with what’s best for the team they play on or the friends they have on that team.

As far as Nurse goes, I think that what gets under my skin the most is people being content with what he’s going to be making for the level of play he brought this last year. He needs to play better than he did or it’s a horrible contract, it’s as simple as that. If he can play even somewhere in between his last two seasons and the fact that the cap is most definitely going to go up over the years then I have no problem with it.

The pressure of that new contract seems to get to guys, even Leon the 1st year of his contract extension ... he was kinda meh.

I don't think Nurse will turn out to be as much of a slam dunk as that contract was obviously, but when the cap is say 90 million and you'll be seeing Kulak-tier D getting 5-6 million+ on the open market, it'll be easier to take.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW

Really? That most people will be content? From what I've seen here is that not many at all are happy with that number, nor are we ALL content. I know I'm not, but I'm also not outraged at how much he will be making this upcoming year. No, I'm not happy about it, but it is what it is at this point. Unfortunately the Bridge for Nurse really hurt us, as was signing him too early. Of course, we could have been even more unlucky with him walking for free, as our lowly cousins down south just learned. (I'm still giddy about this!).

I guess I'm at that stage in life where yes, things piss me off, but typically it's the things that I can deal with. Nurse making $9.5MM doesn't impact my daily life, but the guy that cuts me off on the freeway does :)

I was going to go into the McDrai contracts, and that how many people think they are such a steal. Yes they could be a LOT more, but they also got a lot more than what was normal at the time, essentially hand-cuffing the GM a bit. I won't go into it though, lol...

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Not bad.

Sure I wish his contract was 7.5 million instead of 9.25, but we are just going to have to deal with having about 1.75 million of excess fat on our cap. At least Kane, Hyman, RNH are more or less paid fairly and Ceci and Kulak probably underpaid a bit. Barrie contract is reasonable but probably not here for much longer.

I really think 7.5 is unreasonable to expect. That would be a great 2nd pairing dman. Cap inflation has ramped up the criticism of Nurse's deal because he is a more recent high profile signing. I still say his 9.25 isn't that bad. At worst it is a 1 million overpay but just watch in the next few years. These numbers for his tier of Dman will be more common

Reactions: WaitingForUser

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I really think 7.5 is unreasonable to expect. That would be a great 2nd pairing dman. Cap inflation has ramped up the criticism of Nurse's deal because he is a more recent high profile signing. I still say his 9.25 isn't that bad. At worst it is a 1 million overpay but just watch in the next few years. These numbers for his tier of Dman will be more common
This the market was set by Hamilton, Jones and Werenskis signings. Nurses agent just asked for market value of top pairing dmen that was set the week previous.

Reactions: Mr Positive
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad