Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "Wrong Side of Heaven, Righteous Side of (Salary Cap) Hell"

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Well, you're being quoted here saying special teams 'just happen'.

'Outliers' occur when teams can stop you. If you lose the ability to move the puck quickly, odds are stopping McDrai becomes a lot easier. That's exactly what happened when teams scouted the Letestu PP setup.

I'm not even sure where this debate started, but the certainty that our special teams sustain their rates of success is far more important to the team's success than you're alluding to. Particularly when they've struggled as much as they have at 5v5.

LOL special teams just happen. How clever of him

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Again, I'm being patient with him but also cautious because his body of work so far has been a mixed bag. We also need some of our recent picks to step up.
You aren't being patient with him in the slightest Keith, don't lie to us

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Well that's your narrative. How do we know that's McDavid and Draisaitl's narrative? How do we know they want to build something with Holland and actually are ok with gradually gaining ground every year? I'd rather we go for multiple cups than 1 anyways. Holland is still building and so far the guys we have drafted and signed for whatever he could fit into the cap have looked good so far.

Holland has lost more bets than he's won. We'd all be singing a different tune if that ratio was reversed.

It rings hollow? They've been a playoff team.

They're a paper tiger.

Reactions: barry halls

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You aren't being patient with him in the slightest Keith, don't lie to us
You're right, I want him fired immediately to create more chaos in an already chaotic org because that'll help the Oilers win.

Or perhaps I want to see him re-assemble the bottom six, use the first round pick to bring in immediate help, clear out some of the shitty contracts, and bring in a legit starting goalie. I understand that's a lot to ask.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Holland has lost more bets than he's won. We'd all be singing a different tune if that ratio was reversed.

They're a paper tiger.
And they are still a playoff team with a ton of capspace to improve.

You spend all day every day complaining about this team no matter what. I get exhausted with my own negativity when we just lost, how do you keep it up all year every year?

Reactions: Leo360

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
And they are still a playoff team with a ton of capspace to improve.

You spend all day every day complaining about this team no matter what. I get exhausted with my own negativity when we just lost, how do you keep it up all year every year?
Don't pretend like you're better than the negative crew, man. You flip flop back and forth all the time.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Don't pretend like you're better than the negative crew, man. You flip flop back and forth all the time.
When we are actively losing I over react. When something bad happens I react and sometimes over react.

You call it flip flopping, I call it being a human being with the ability to grow, and have more than one type of opinion

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
And a ton of holes to fill and a guy in charge who doesn't seem up to the task at all.
So you are gonna spend all this time crying and moaning about how we suck and Holland sucks non stop unless he brings in the exact players you want for the exact cost and then to over achieve.

Man I get being negative when things present themself but you spend so much time being negative when literally nothing is happening

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They're a paper tiger.
A team that normally would've missed the playoffs (because they lost more than they won in the regular season) is a game away from the Final.

I don't buy the paper tiger nonsense.

They were a strong regular season team two years running and they had a large amount of cap space open up this summer. If they don't decide to completely mess up what has worked for them previously, they've got the opportunity to address their depth issues and improve on last season.

Improve the second pair LD, add a couple wingers, a 3C and upgrade on Koskinen. They're a better team next season without much of a struggle.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I'm sure I don't need to remind you of Detroit's current state?
"Current" state. Holland isn't running the team anymore. Also, did you ever notice that some of the players Holland brought in or had on his teams retired?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Yeah i didn't say that, but go off you weirdo.
Are you sure about that? Because Belair said this and I quote,

"Well, you're being quoted here saying special teams 'just happen'.

'Outliers' occur when teams can stop you. If you lose the ability to move the puck quickly, odds are stopping McDrai becomes a lot easier. That's exactly what happened when teams scouted the Letestu PP setup.

I'm not even sure where this debate started, but the certainty that our special teams sustain their rates of success is far more important to the team's success than you're alluding to. Particularly when they've struggled as much as they have at 5v5."

But yeah I'm just a weirdo

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm sure I don't need to remind you of Detroit's current state?
His current state that was a result of keeping a team as a playoff team for literally decades straight and had his old aging dying owner telling him to do what he could to keep it going.

The fallout of that is large and takes time to get out of.

Some GMs can rebuild and get a team good assets, others can take those assets and help the team get to the next level etc. Not every gm can really do everything, it's a rare quality of a gm.

Holland spent decades keeping a playoff team going, I'm not surprised that he wasn't the guy to do a full rebuild.

Thankfully this is a playoff team with their elite pieces here that needs depth and experience to keep going. Something that Holland spent his entire career doing

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
"Current" state. Holland isn't running the team anymore. Also, did you ever notice that some of the players Holland brought in or had on his teams retired?
You're right, Holland isn't running the Red Wings anymore, just like Chiarelli isn't running the Oilers anymore. Doesn't mean their impacts still aren't felt. Obviously players retired but he still signed some pretty awful contracts and many of their draft picks until his final years have not panned out.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
His current state that was a result of keeping a team as a playoff team for literally decades straight and had his old aging dying owner telling him to do what he could to keep it going.

The fallout of that is large and takes time to get out of.

Some GMs can rebuild and get a team good assets, others can take those assets and help the team get to the next level etc. Not every gm can really do everything, it's a rare quality of a gm.

Holland spent decades keeping a playoff team going, I'm not surprised that he wasn't the guy to do a full rebuild.

Thankfully this is a playoff team with their elite pieces here that needs depth and experience to keep going. Something that Holland spent his entire career doing
At bloated prices while his draft picks didn't pan out.

Time was the natural enemy of the Red Wings but there's a ton of self-inflicted wounds in that timeline too.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
A team that normally would've missed the playoffs (because they lost more than they won in the regular season) is a game away from the Final.

Which has what to with the Oilers?

I don't buy the paper tiger nonsense.

1-8.

They were a strong regular season team two years running and they had a large amount of cap space open up this summer. If they don't decide to completely mess up what has worked for them previously, they've got the opportunity to address their depth issues and improve on last season.

What's worked for them is two generational superstars in their prime, the emergence of Nurse as a bona fide top pairing D and and an odds-defying performance from an aging goaltender.

What has not worked for them is pretty much the rest of the roster, most of which was brought in by the guy who is also supposed to cleanup the mess.

Improve the second pair LD, add a couple wingers, a 3C and upgrade on Koskinen. They're a better team next season without much of a struggle.

You're being entirely too sanguine about their chances of improving given the number of holes to fill, pieces to move out (including Koskinen) and management's track record in assessing talent. We'll see what happens of course, but Holland needs to be helluva lot better than he's been.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Are you sure about that? Because Belair said this and I quote,

"Well, you're being quoted here saying special teams 'just happen'.

I'm not even sure where this debate started, but the certainty that our special teams sustain their rates of success is far more important to the team's success than you're alluding to. Particularly when they've struggled as much as they have at 5v5."

But yeah I'm just a weirdo

You could read my original post instead of the guy misquoting me.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
At bloated prices while his draft picks didn't pan out.

Time was the natural enemy of the Red Wings but there's a ton of self-inflicted wounds in that timeline too.
Yes they were trying to rebuild. So they paid to get players to stay during a rebuild to develop prospects. Their AHL development and drafting hasn't been the best which has boned them there.

Rebuilding teams often overpay for guys cause most players, I know shockingly, don't want to stay for a rebuild.

The draft picks not turning out is self inflicted but the GM isn't the guy really in charge of drafting and development and imho our current development group is much better than what he had in Detroit for the last while, and it's too early to really call how our drafting is.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Wouldn't one succeeding make the other one bad?

Nah, it's like weight training. If you practice running a marathon wearing 10 lb weights on your legs, doing it again without weights on your feet in a real race feels a lot easier.

Likewise, practicing defending McDavid and Drai on the PK every day makes defending against say Toffoli and Anderson feels easy.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Which has what to with the Oilers?

1-8.

You're being entirely too sanguine about their chances of improving given the number of holes to fill, pieces to move out (including Koskinen) and management's track record in assessing talent. We'll see what happens of course, but Holland needs to be helluva lot better than he's been.
If they bring back the exact team as last year, we are at worst the second best team in our division next year so I don't really get your point. Good teams get swept in the playoffs. It happens.

This team does need to improve and we do have a ton of wholes, you bet. We also have 2 guys that mask a shit ton of those holes. We were what 3-5 points out of 8th in the league in back to back years. Even fill 1/2 of those wholes properly and that puts us as a top 8 team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad