Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Will the Supposed Veteran D That We're Targeting Please Stand Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
If the Sens are blowing it up completely, I want the oilers to get Stons so badly. He is the exact type of winger we need. I know it is impossible but still.

Reactions: Wewillrise

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If the Sens are blowing it up completely, I want the oilers to get Stons so badly. He is the exact type of winger we need. I know it is impossible but still.
1st
2nd
Sekera
Kassian
Caggiula
For Stone with an extension
Pls Dorion

Yes, idk why Sekera would waive for Ottawa.

Last edited:

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Not really. Guy tweeting about the Oilers floats out that they were 'in on him'. Bit of a nothing tweet. I call BS.
Sure but all it takes is another scribe to ask Chiarelli if they were actually in talks or not and if he says no than Matty loses even more credibility..

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Karlsson wanted out of the Canadian media spotlight. Whether the league wants to admit it or not, the southern US teams have an advantage in weather, easy media coverage, and receiving intense fan attention only when the times are good. If the team is bad, the city just ignores the players rather than constantly questioning their effort. It's an almost ideal situation for star players.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
No interest in renting Stone. Cannot afford to keep him and the Oilers still need to build org depth. Much rather look at the next 5-8 years as the prime winning window and build with that in mind.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Dustin Nielsen was saying that he has heard the Oilers are in on a couple veteran dmen with some higher salaries this morning on the radio that can be had cheaply (his exact words - "cheaply"). He said the one name that is most out there is J. Faulk.

Says he's heard the deal would be a 2nd rd pick and a veteran forward from the Oil.

So my guess is:

2nd rd pick + Kassian
for
Faulk

Edit: I'll add that he said it wouldn't be done until Sekera can be put on LTIR
Don't think that gets you Faulk unless Carolina is dead set on moving him.

I think it's more likely that we end up with some scrub like Girardi.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I call shenanigans

He played a full 82 last year. How convenient, like Hossa, that his salary is 1M and he needs to hit LTIR
Yeah, he did, I didn't realize, but he might be physically done, it's not like he's a young man.

Either way, there's not a huge advantage for the Wings, because he's one of their better players and they were bad last year.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Sure but all it takes is another scribe to ask Chiarelli if they were actually in talks or not and if he says no than Matty loses even more credibility..
Even that would be too much effort. It's not like the guy is much of an insider anyways.

The cap situation paired with the whispers all along that we were on his no trade list leads me to believe we were never in on it. I've wasted too much effort explaining why, but I don't believe for a second we were.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Not really. Guy tweeting about the Oilers floats out that they were 'in on him'. Bit of a nothing tweet. I call BS.

FWIW, Dreger or Seravalli said Sharks were the only team willing to give up more parts and everyone else backed out.

Dorian wanted cheap parts more than quality. Well mainly Melnyk wanted cheap

Reactions: Aerrol

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Yeah, he did, I didn't realize, but he might be physically done, it's not like he's a young man.

Either way, there's not a huge advantage for the Wings, because he's one of their better players and they were bad last year.

I just find it awfully convenient for teams with potential cap issues and these kinds of contracts to suddenly announce said players need to hit LTIR.

Luongo is next so we’ll see what happens

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Tough end to a great career.

it is a pure coincidence that he retires the same year that his salary drops from 7 mill to 3.5 and there is two more years at 1 mill per remaining.

Looks like Detroit got the advantage of a lower AAV for the first 9 years of his contract. Whew, lucky break for them how it all worked out.

Reactions: frag2

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Somebody on the main board said they just made Faulk an Alternate Captain. I know stranger things have happened before but why would they put the A on him (acknowledge him as part of the leadership group) only to trade him a week or two later? It would seem like bad optics IMO and Sekera's LTIR doesn't kick in until the start of the season so they are going to trade for Faulk after the season opener or more likely, when they come back from Europe? Seems kind of complicated to me.

In any event, Nielsen is connected so if he says that Faulk is an option then I believe it and with Stauffer dropping hints about a similar type trade, you'd have to think it's pretty legit.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Somebody on the main board said they just made Faulk an Alternate Captain. I know stranger things have happened before but why would they put the A on him (acknowledge him as part of the leadership group) only to trade him a week or two later? It would seem like bad optics IMO and Sekera's LTIR doesn't kick in until the start of the season so they are going to trade for Faulk after the season opener or more likely, when they come back from Europe? Seems kind of complicated to me.

In any event, Nielsen is connected so if he says that Faulk is an option then I believe it and with Stauffer dropping hints about a similar type trade, you'd have to think it's pretty legit.
I know it's been covered ad nauseam

I think the obvious answer here is that real NHL teams don't care about this captaincy stuff anywhere near as much as the fans do.

It's an outdated tradition that is largely ceremonial at this point.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I just find it awfully convenient for teams with potential cap issues and these kinds of contracts to suddenly announce said players need to hit LTIR.

Luongo is next so we’ll see what happens
The Wings have Cap relief from Franson regardless of Zetterberg.

I agree it looks bad and @Mr Sakich point is valid, but it's not going to help the Wings do anything other then be more bad, Zetterberg was their 2nd leading scorer and they were bad last year.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think the obvious answer here is that real NHL teams don't care about this captaincy stuff anywhere near as much as the fans do.

It's an outdated tradition that is largely ceremonial at this point.

I get that but why give him the A now only to deal him shortly thereafter?
Obviously if they give a player a letter, they think fairly high of him so it means at least a little something.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I find it weird that the Oilers would go through training camp and cut down to a roster ready for day 1 then trade a roster player + pick to bring in a defence man then send a D man down that most likely thought he made the team... Also they would have to call a forward up that was originally cut...

Just seems super inconvenient. Is there not a way to do this mid camp with the LTIR? Or does it absolutely HAVE to be once the season starts?
Happens all the time. They'll have their roster set in their mind and move who they have to back in forth to the minors to make it work.

Did you see the video of him trying to walk at the NHL awards? The guys back is totally done. He gave the team everything.
I don't doubt he's injured as he was most of last year, but it's quite convenient that he could play through the pain for 7mil. Next up Lou

Reactions: frag2

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The only potential upside for the Wings is they might get out of paying Henrik's salary if the contract is/was insured.

Not sure why we should care as Oilers fans.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I get that but why give him the A now only to deal him shortly thereafter?
Obviously if they give a player a letter, they think fairly high of him so it means at least a little something.

or they are trying to make him seem more core to get an extra piece when they trade him? it simple sales tactics, make your asset look more marketable to drive up price. happens in every field.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
it is a pure coincidence that he retires the same year that his salary drops from 7 mill to 3.5 and there is two more years at 1 mill per remaining.

Looks like Detroit got the advantage of a lower AAV for the first 9 years of his contract. Whew, lucky break for them how it all worked out.
At the end of the day there really is no reason to be mad today, as everyone knew this was coming. NHL will once again have to adjust something so that teams don't take advantage and then the GM's will once again come up with something else.

Reactions: Mr Sakich

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

I know it's been covered ad nauseam

I know Faulk was a captain before. Was that last year? If so..then the "A" would actually be a demotion

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'm all for bringing in Faulk. I've said numerous times that this team has everything that its missing to be a serious contender right here in our system. Bring in guys like Faulk to buy guys like Bouchard just a bit more time.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
or they are trying to make him seem more core to get an extra piece when they trade him? it simple sales tactics, make your asset look more marketable to drive up price. happens in every field.

I doubt that giving him an A would all of a sudden raise his trade value.
I don't think Chia looks at Faulk and says "Well, now that he got an A on his jersey, lets make that a 1st instead of a 2nd" then again, it's Chia so....

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Scouring Capfriendly, some veteran D that could possibly shake loose just due to depth...

STL - Carl Gunnarsson 1 year $2.9m
TB - Dan Girardi 1 year $3m, or Braydon Coburn 1 year $3.7m, or Slater Koekkoek 1 year $865k
BUF - Nathan Beaulieu 1 year $2.4m, or Jake McCabe 1 year $1.6m
VAN - Michael Del Zotto 1 year $3m

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad