Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Will the Supposed Veteran D That We're Targeting Please Stand Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Dustin Neilson

There has been some buzz that the Oilers will make a move for a veteran dman when Sekera goes on the LTIR. Not a sure thing but I've been told they are seriously looking at that option.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Not sure if Dusty is the best at rumours but..

He actually seems pretty connected when he posts a "rumour"

But the Oilers putting Sekera on LTIR on works if we're already at the cap. Right now we're still 4M under. I guess if we sign Nurse and a guy like Chaisson we're probably there. But that would need to happen before we can utilize Sekera for cap relief on LTIR. AND we'd be screwed if Sekera comes back in a few months.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

But the Oilers putting Sekera on LTIR on works if we're already at the cap. Right now we're still 4M under. I guess if we sign Nurse and a guy like Chaisson we're probably there. But that would need to happen before we can utilize Sekera for cap relief on LTIR. AND we'd be screwed if Sekera comes back in a few months.

If we aren't targeting Faulk who else might fit the criteria as a target?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Who would be traded once Sekera comes off LTIR?

If it's in February/March, they may not need to trade anyone in season.

Put it this way. The Oilers will likely carry a 23 man roster into Europe. Let's say the team is McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Lucic, Strome, Reider, Kassian, Caggiula, Brodziak, Puljujarvi, Rattie, Khaira, Aberg, Sekera*, Klefbom, Larsson, Russell, Nurse (~3.2M), Benning, Jerabek, Gravel, Talbot and Koskinen. With buyout penalties and such, the Oilers carry 48.67M in cap out of a 49.5M dollar cap. More if they were willing to demote a player like Aberg and pay a player like Chiasson ~950k. Let's just say for arguments sake they do that and they carry a team costing 48.97M into the season.

Well, then you place Andrej Sekera on LTIR. 48.97M - 5.5M = 43.47M. Let's say the player is Justin Faulk and the acquisition somehow comes without the subtraction of roster salary. That would make your cap hit, in practice 48.28M for 23 players.

Then comes, say, February 15th. The most likely time period Sekera may be ready to return. His cap hit for the remaining games would be about 1.74M. The Oilers would no longer need to dress 23 men, so let's subtract Gravel and Rattie just because they're the lowest men in cap on the totem poll and that would illustrate my point better. That team would cost about 48.52M and include both Justin Faulk and Andrej Sekera on the roster.

A decision would need to be made for 19-20, and trade deadline acquisitions would be a little wonky, but it works. It even probably gives you enough of a bubble to disregard bonus overages.

Reactions: Mcnofool6110

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I know Faulk gets ripped on by some but I would gladly take him. Improve our PP. We can play him in a second pairing role and give him offensive zone starts while Larsson takes on the tougher assignments.

Reactions: SourOil

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If it's in February/March, they may not need to trade anyone in season.

Put it this way. The Oilers will likely carry a 23 man roster into Europe. Let's say the team is McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Lucic, Strome, Reider, Kassian, Caggiula, Brodziak, Puljujarvi, Rattie, Khaira, Aberg, Sekera*, Klefbom, Larsson, Russell, Nurse (~3.2M), Benning, Jerabek, Gravel, Talbot and Koskinen. With buyout penalties and such, the Oilers carry 48.67M in cap out of a 49.5M dollar cap. More if they were willing to demote a player like Aberg and pay a player like Chiasson ~950k. Let's just say for arguments sake they do that and they carry a team costing 48.97M into the season.

Well, then you place Andrej Sekera on LTIR. 48.97M - 5.5M = 43.47M. Let's say the player is Justin Faulk and the acquisition somehow comes without the subtraction of roster salary. That would make your cap hit, in practice 48.28M for 23 players.

Then comes, say, February 15th. The most likely time period Sekera may be ready to return. His cap hit for the remaining games would be about 1.74M. The Oilers would no longer need to dress 23 men, so let's subtract Gravel and Rattie just because they're the lowest men in cap on the totem poll and that would illustrate my point better. That team would cost about 48.52M and include both Justin Faulk and Andrej Sekera on the roster.

A decision would need to be made for 19-20, and trade deadline acquisitions would be a little wonky, but it works. It even probably gives you enough of a bubble to disregard bonus overages.

I am not sure I agree with your math here. If they added Faulk to the current roster with Nurse signed at say $3.5M, they would need to shed $4M+ in salary to make it happen. That would still be true in February.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I am not sure I agree with your math here. If they added Faulk to the current roster with Nurse signed at say $3.5M, they would need to shed $4M+ in salary to make it happen. That would still be true in February.

Which part are you in disagreement with?

That Faulk could be added without any salary going out AFTER Sekera goes on LTIR is clear. They wouldn't have to clear a dime to make that happen. Re-reading it, the only bit I'm a bit shaky on is salary proration for players who come off LTIR but I'm pretty sure that's at least how it used to work and Chicago utilized it at one point. It's definitely true of midseason acquisitions (you do not bring on their full cap midyear, only what is remaining).

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Which part are you in disagreement with?

That Faulk could be added without any salary going out AFTER Sekera goes on LTIR is clear. They wouldn't have to clear a dime to make that happen. Re-reading it, the only bit I'm a bit shaky on is salary proration for players who come off LTIR but I'm pretty sure that's at least how it used to work and Chicago utilized it at one point. It's definitely true of midseason acquisitions (you do not bring on their full cap midyear, only what is remaining).

LTIR has never saved cap space. When a player is on LTIR his full caphit counts. All that LTIR does for you is to allow you to replace the player while temporarily exceed the cap. Once the player comes off you are back to the rules as usual. This means that you would effectively have to remove salary equal to the amount you had previously exceeded the cap by.

Now you are correct that if you add players mid stream you only have to account for the portion of the cap they will actually be paid for. But if you had no free cap space accumulated to that point your team would have used up most of its cap space already. As such this portion of the new players salary would be in the exact ratio to the space you have left that the players full cap hit would have been to the original cap at the beginning of the year.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

Agreed Dusty will rarely post a rumor so for the most part if he does it’s real. When can we LTIR Sekera, and I’m not a cap guy but why does it matter we wait? Don’t we not have to be complaint till then anyways?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'm fine doing a Hamonic like overpay for Faulk at this point.

When it comes to the U23 group, this team's deep enough to absorb the loss, and having Faulk for the full year would limit how high those picks would be.

Klefbom/Nurse-Larsson
Russell-Faulk
Nurse/Klefbom-/Jarabek/Benning/Garrison/Gravel

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's quite the situation we have.

The talk has been about potentially moving two forwards out, but that seemed to be based on Upshall taking a spot. And even at one time if the plan was to some how move Kassian and Caggiula and end up with Faulk, is that even an option now?

Seems like a lot was going to hinge on PTO's. Now with Upshall potentially done that makes things a little bit more difficult.

Be interesting to see if they target another cheap forward even off waivers.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Intersting that CGY gave PTO to Siemens and one Gilbert Brule

Had no idea Brule was still playing. Does look like he's played damn near every game the past 3 years in the KHL, no playoff games though. Injuries seemed to be one of his major downfalls here, along with some mental issues. If he's been able to get by the injury side maybe he sticks around as an extra

Reactions: McIce Whole
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad